For hosting contests and events.

Moderator: Event Organizers

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Interested in judging? Click here!

Postby Emral » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 am

Contests are always in need for more judges. Not only would it be boring if the same couple people judged every contest, but another problem is that not everyone is available all the time for judging.
So we are going to look for people interested in judging with every upcoming official contest.

HOW DO I BECOME A JUDGE?
Please post your application for becoming a judge in this thread. We need to learn a little bit about you ahead of time, so we get an idea of your background and preferences when it comes to levels. In this spoiler is a couple of questions/things we need. Please make sure to answer each of them in your reply, then post your reply in this thread. Don't fret if you don't hear from us immediately, as we usually approach people directly in the run-up to the contests.
Spoiler: show
WHAT KIND OF LEVELS DO YOU LIKE?
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SMBX LEVEL, AND WHY?
WHAT DO YOU STRONGLY DISLIKE IN LEVELS?
WHICH SMBX VERSION DO YOU PRIMARILY USE?
HOW MANY REVIEWS CAN YOU WRITE IN AN AVERAGE WEEK?
PLEASE POST 2 OR MORE LINKS TO RECENT REVIEWS YOU MADE FOR LEVELS IN THE LEVELS FORUM, AS AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR WORK.
If you find yourself unpicked after a long time, feel free to quote your initial application in a new post, providing at least one more recent review, to give an example of the way your judging has changed over time.

WHAT MAKES A GOOD JUDGE?
Use these guidelines as a way to estimate what we are looking for in judge applications.

- Good writing: The text portion of a review works as an explanation for the score given. As long as it's clear where your opinion on a level comes from from the text, and the score matches that description, you're good.
- Positive outlook: Reviews are read by the level's designer. Not all levels are good. But that doesn't mean you have to unload a bucket of chum over their heads as you tear down everything they tried to build up over the past month. Reviews should be fun to read, especially for the designer whom you're critiquing.
- Quick to the point: There's no reason to point out every little detail in a level that peeved you. Focus on the important bits and write a concise review, rather than an exhaustive one.
- Curious: Find something in a level you don't understand? It's easy to write that off as nonsense, but thinking about what the designer may have tried to do, and giving advice on how to improve the implementation of that vision is much more powerful!
- Disciplined work ethic: We do not want to wait 6 months for a judge to finish their reviews.
- Decent at the game: You should be able to play difficult levels within a reasonable time frame. The difficulty guidelines can be inferred per-contest, so don't expect kaizo around every corner, but even the simplest contests may have challenging levels. So be prepared!

We're looking forward to your participation!

Walder
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: Interested in judging? Click here!

Postby Walder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 am

I greatly enjoy levels with a good sense of progression, creativity and understanding of the player perspective. There are many tools at SMBX's arsenal, and it's delightful to see what unique scenarios the creator of a level has designed with them. The progression is of course also key in this, and a good chunk of my enjoyment in a level comes from seeing how the mechanics of a level evolve and ramp up the difficulty as you overcome the challenges it holds.

Perilous Peak by FrozenQuills is a level I occasionally find myself returning to. It's a very creative level that has many fun setups and a distinct feel to it. It's just a darn comfy level.

Pause by The0x539 is also another favorite of mine. It's a challenging yet fair experience, with a good sense of progression and a very unusual but very fun mechanic. The atmosphere is also marvelous, and it definitely holds a huge part in it being a memorable level with a distinct sense of identity.

Levels that really don't have any thought put into them, with sloppy, padded and bland design that doesn't accomplish much of value. Anyone can make Green Grasslands: The Romp , but should they? SMBX, again, has so many things to experiment with, to give a level an identity with... which is why I can't vibe with a level that has the same padded generic setups all over. I also don't enjoy Kaizo levels, sorry... I am not gamer enough.

Only SMBX2.

30+

PLEASE POST 2 OR MORE LINKS TO RECENT REVIEWS YOU MADE FOR LEVELS IN THE FORUM, AS AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR WORK.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=26671#p382448
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16345#p382451

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Chipss » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:05 pm

My favorite type of levels are those that establish a clear focus at the start in a safe environment, and continue to evolve that concept throughout. However, I always love to see a twist on the level concept around the checkpoint mark. This helps keep the level engaging and definitely prevents the creator from running out of ideas. Yes, this is essentially 4-Step level design, but it’s the framework I’ve gotten the most enjoyment out of. Regardless, obviously just because a level uses 4-Step doesn’t automatically make it “good.” I much prefer to see experimentation and bending of the rules of that framework rather than strict following of it. That kind of defeats the purpose of the creativity needed to make an interesting level, right?

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SMBX LEVEL, AND WHY?

It’s very difficult to choose a single favorite, but from most recent memory, I really enjoyed “Strange Sanctuary Situation - Swim” by Shinbison. I believe it was part of the Mystery Contest? Either way, I thought that the level concept was really interesting. I personally had never seen the concept of water ONLY working for NPCs, although it isn't a super novel concept, so I expect it’s been used many times elsewhere as well. I feel that this level is beautifully structured and also beautifully aestheticized (is that a word?). I really enjoy SMBX levels that deviate from the “traditional Mario look.” My only complaint about it would be that it ends quite abruptly. I was expecting the challenge to evolve a bit more before the final room just crept up on me, but alas, you can never have a ‘perfect’ level.

A few people may disagree with me on this, but I am extremely unsatisfied and get bored easily by romps. There’s nothing inherently bad about them, but I always look at romps as the creator playing it way too safe when it comes to design. The product of that is just an uninteresting carbon copy of a platformer level from decades ago. Additionally, on the other extreme, I don’t particularly like when the creator actually attempts to implement ideas, but gets a bit carried away with how many they actually implement. A large amount of level concepts can become a complete mess of partially fleshed out ideas that just end up making for a relatively unpleasant and jarring experience. This type of design usually also goes hand-in-hand with unfair or frustrating level design. Either side of the spectrum is equally as bad, in my opinion, for completely different reasons.

SMBX2.

This question is a bit odd to me, since people’s schedules tend to vary quite a bit depending on their situation. However, I understand the importance of it due to the relatively quick “expected return time” for reviews after a contest’s submission period has ended. In this scenario, I would definitely make time to do my reviews, and believe that (based on participation numbers in prior contests) that I could finish all of my reviews within 2 weeks.

If you’re looking for a specific number, then I would say ~15-20 reviews per week.

PLEASE POST 2 OR MORE LINKS TO RECENT REVIEWS YOU MADE FOR LEVELS IN THE LEVELS FORUM, AS AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR WORK.

Ludwigs Palace in the Sky - Erik

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=25420&p=384496#p384496

Cape Twilight - Dudboi2005

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=21721&p=384497#p384497

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Hello. I am interested in applying for judge for the contests. Hopefully, my services suit the needs of the team.

I like levels that challenge the player's perception of how to make progress without dropping a load of unnecessary exposition that doesn't help. When I play a level I want to be entertained, so both reading something uninteresting or doing absolutely nothing for a long period of time is enough to bore me.
xyzzz by soup. This level appears to be somewhat simple enough at first glance, requiring the player to reason out where the mines are in order to make progress. Where the level really picks up is when the mouse is introduced allowing to deactivate mines by clicking them, turning the following rooms into puzzle rooms, which is something this community needs a lot. Then it goes to end the level with a highly satisfying boss that requires to move it to the trash bin image at the end, with both a hilarious defeat and sound effect.
First-time player traps and player mechanic manipulation to some degree. It can be done well, but sadly the odds are it won't be.
I use SMBX 2.0 b4 April 2021st update. I do not use 38A.
When not busy with work about 5 full reviews.
Switching Block Skyway
Ancient Bridge in Disguise

MrCool422
Rex
Rex
Flair: Autistic
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MrCool422 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am

Cutsence levels and lua levels

Baron Von Badlands, because the events, the intereactions, the custom boss battle

Kaizo levels and smbx38A levels

SMBX2

i guess 1 to 5 weeks

PLEASE POST 2 OR MORE LINKS TO RECENT REVIEWS YOU MADE FOR LEVELS IN THE FORUM, AS AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR WORK.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=25154
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=27214

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:34 pm

Since SMBX2 evolves in the future I decided to play and enjoy about
the levels that have real creativity, inspiration, or something else,
I am interested in the levels either the possible difficulty,
have at least one or four gimmicks, and 1 out of 4 a more challenging gimmick,
I already feel that this concept can be a target for projects related to that.

Facility Grande by Waddle & Squp (The 360-no scope creepers)
Choco Latte Contest 2022 (1st place - Tied)
Because I found out that the story has been like a mystery,
without beginning or end, and that the gimmicks put in this type of adventure
are challenging. Yes, all the aesthetics are based on real design,
and structure according to the player, I congratulate you on those
two champions for doing an incredible job and taking 1st place.

I don't like bland levels or boring remakes, even Kaizo levels,
and by the way, I'm very sorry that someone copied from another
author's design in a single level,
such as "The Powypt" by cato in SVLC 2021.
He was disqualified for past contest design references.
And it is strange that the judges accepted very difficult or Kaizo levels to
complete using player gimmicks, By using cheats is easy, As happened in
"shortcake_denialism" by deice
(CCX3 entry).

SMBX2 Always or Sometimes SMBX 1.4.5

viewtopic.php?p=396169#p396169
viewtopic.php?p=396171#p396171

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: flare

Postby 55jedat555 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:38 pm

I like levels that do their utmost to engage me as a player, whichever shape that may take – levels that are capable of generating enjoyment with the way they’re built, and not only with the way they’re played. Usually that goes hand in hand with the amount of thought and care that was put into the level design: I like when a level is built methodically, with every object having a clear purpose and reason to be where it is. Alongside that, I enjoy levels that provide a good challenge and/or learning experience for the player – there’s hardly anything that I like more than a level that “puts up a fight” before ultimately being beaten. I’m also particularly fond of levels that set themselves apart by being unique, creative and eccentric, levels that break “the meta” of typical, established, conventional level design norms. And lastly, I like levels that are concise, by which I mean levels that provide the precise amount of stage elements necessary for their individual setups to work – in other words, levels that don’t go overboard with the unnecessary, which usually leads to oversaturation and confusion. I believe this last point in particular plays a big part in conveying how well-acquainted with the game’s mechanics a level designer is.

It’s an older level at this point, but I’d have to say Trunkey Kong by Waddle. It’s a quick, well-paced, action-packed challenging level that tests the player’s patience, reflexes and knowledge of the game, all while being incredibly creative and unique. It presents its creator’s understanding of how the game functions, and while it can be quite substantially cheesed in several parts, the intended route through it still shows awareness of what a player is capable of doing with the resources provided. As a bonus, it also lead to me learning about a new glitch I had never seen before – something that definitely hits a soft spot with me.

Several things, actually. Firstly, I dislike overly long “waiting” sections that give the player nothing to do – typical platform rides with very little going on immediately pop into my mind as an example. Secondly, I’m not a fan of aesthetically busy, heavily decorated levels in which visuals potentially impede the gameplay – generally, I think a level should function properly first and look good second. Thirdly, I dislike the “SMBX stereotype” of exposition-heavy levels. Ideally, a Mario level shouldn’t contain overbearing amounts of dialogue or storytelling – what I seek for when playing Mario is a challenge, not the details of the inner machinations of some man’s relationship with the concepts of heroism and world-salvation. There are books I can read if I’m curious about the latter. And lastly, to perhaps try to envelop all the other particularities, I really dislike thoughtless level design. Not even the lowest-ranking Goomba should deserve to be placed in a level just because the level designer needed something to fill the empty space with. Please give them purpose and intent!

X2 only.

Heavily depends on the amount of time I have available, which varies, but on average I'd say between 10-15 reviews per week.

viewtopic.php?t=23598&start=20#p396603
viewtopic.php?t=20486&start=60#p396604

Return to “Contests and Events”