Super Forum Maker 2: Restructuring Sandbox

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Super Forum Maker 2: Restructuring Sandbox

Postby Cedur » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Fuyu wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 pm
Couldn't such games be reporpused for Discord to begin with?

that would require 1 channel for every single game people want to play ...

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:17 pm

As in type of game rather than instance of the same game I assume. What difference is there to doing it here?

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Eejit
Pronouns: it/he/they

Postby computerfan0 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:09 pm

I don't agree with the way threads have been mashed into one huge thread. It makes it nearly impossible to find anything and makes it feel clunky and messy.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm

computerfan0 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:09 pm
I don't agree with the way threads have been mashed into one huge thread. It makes it nearly impossible to find anything and makes it feel clunky and messy.
It’s more clunky and messy when we have threads that are solved by 1 post and the rest of it isn’t even contributing to the op.

This way you have everything in one instead of one big thread and a hundred corpses.

That’s how I feel about it.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm

What other merges have there been besides merging threads about Youtube? Also where did I lose 4 posts?

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
What other merges have there been besides merging threads about Youtube? Also where did I lose 4 posts?
Threads about personal stuff, including the 3 or 4 threads about dreams, have been merged into one, as has threads about toys and tech been merged into one thread about toys, and one about tech. Topics describing current events have also been merged into one. A topic has been deleted, which may explain your loss of posts.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Ok now looking closer I see a lot of merges. And I think that "what happened to the other user" is a very different topic than "what's going on in your own real life" so I think these shouldn't have been merged. And also the thread titles showing on the index are now from 2014 so very outdated which adds to the confusion. Now the whole activity of 2019 and 2020 is condensed in a handful of threads and it can't be undone so easily.

Would have been a lot better to close old threads and open new ones explaining which topics they're supposed to encompass.

Also I know a topic has been deleted but I'm curious as to which one

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit

Postby computerfan0 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Ok now looking closer I see a lot of merges. And I think that "what happened to the other user" is a very different topic than "what's going on in your own real life" so I think these shouldn't have been merged. And also the thread titles showing on the index are now from 2014 so very outdated which adds to the confusion. Now the whole activity of 2019 and 2020 is condensed in a handful of threads and it can't be undone so easily.

Would have been a lot better to close old threads and open new ones explaining which topics they're supposed to encompass.

Exactly. They should have both been kept around, while the dreams posts get merged into one post about said topic.

Novarender
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Whoa

Postby Novarender » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:42 pm

What is a "forum game"

mechamind
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: You can set your mind to it!
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby mechamind » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 pm

I can agree with some of the merges such as "Food!", "Movies and Shows", and a general YouTube thread. Current events is also okay for the lesser known events.

I do not believe that "Post odd dreams of yours" is the same as general real life. In fact, it's the true escape from reality and a bit more about creativity (even if unintentional). Not nearly enough for the art board, but still different enough and big enough for its own thread.

Uranus
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: just cool

Postby Uranus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:48 am

Cedur wrote:

I'm pretty sure General Political Thread got the boot.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:01 am

It did (again) because it was going off the rails, but that was before the restructure. It's great because I started the thread and made arguably worse posts and then the tables turned and I moderated the same crap.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:01 am

Hi! I'm the one who's been doing the merging! I apologize for the lack of transparency as to what's been going on so far, I just went to work so I could finally get something done. I'm reading along in this thread now to respond to feedback.

I'm aware that merging stuff is a bewildering approach but I didn't want to completely purge the forum and start from scratch. This is more for myself, to see what general categories can be established with what's currently there, without just throwing out years of community history.

Electriking wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm
A topic has been deleted, which may explain your loss of posts.

Only topic I've actually deleted so far was the Post a Picture of Yourself topic, for obvious reasons. I think I merged the Pet Picture thread with the real life one for now? But I'm open to having a thread for posting pictures of pets, food, etc, with the one restriction of not being about posting pictures of yourself.

Uranus wrote:I'm pretty sure General Political Thread got the boot.

It did.

mechamind wrote:I do not believe that "Post odd dreams of yours" is the same as general real life. In fact, it's the true escape from reality and a bit more about creativity (even if unintentional). Not nearly enough for the art board, but still different enough and big enough for its own thread.

I'm not sure I agree. It mostly falls under personal rambling in my opinion, which does not warrant its own thing imo, but if there's a high demand for it I'll unmerge.

Cedur wrote:
Ok now looking closer I see a lot of merges. And I think that "what happened to the other user" is a very different topic than "what's going on in your own real life" so I think these shouldn't have been merged.

The category I'm establishing here is "anything to do with the users of the forum themselves", a thread about people. Opinions, experiences, questions pertaining to users.

Edit: Also fun fact! The Sandbox forum had 50 pages before I cleared out all the locked threads and after it had 35.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Aristo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:01 am
mechamind wrote:I do not believe that "Post odd dreams of yours" is the same as general real life. In fact, it's the true escape from reality and a bit more about creativity (even if unintentional). Not nearly enough for the art board, but still different enough and big enough for its own thread.

I'm not sure I agree. It mostly falls under personal rambling in my opinion, which does not warrant its own thing imo, but if there's a high demand for it I'll unmerge.
I agree with this change, since dreams become can be real, and tbh the line between a dream and reality is thin
(idk what i'm on about lol)
Edit: Also fun fact! The Sandbox forum had 50 pages before I cleared out all the locked threads and after it had 35.
Unfortunately a side effect of merging posts is that one of the threads now has over 200 pages. Good luck finding anything specific in there... it's now reminiscent of the needle in the haystack puzzle.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:28 pm
Good luck finding anything specific in there...

Odds are if you're looking for something really specific you're going to use the search option anyway.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:59 pm

The forum search tool is mediocre. You'd be best off searching for something on Google.

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit

Postby computerfan0 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 am

Electriking wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm
Cedur wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Threads about personal stuff, including the 3 or 4 threads about dreams, have been merged into one, as has threads about toys and tech been merged into one thread about toys, and one about tech. Topics describing current events have also been merged into one. A topic has been deleted, which may explain your loss of posts.
I would generally agree with these merges, but I have a problem with the "personal/real life" thread. Many of these topics are some of the oldest and most popular on the forums, and merging them has created a 200 page mess. This goes against the "maximum 100 pages" rule that means that topics are kept to a reasonable size and makes the thread far too broad for any sort of discussion.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 am
I would generally agree with these merges, but I have a problem with the "personal/real life" thread. Many of these topics are some of the oldest and most popular on the forums, and merging them has created a 200 page mess. This goes against the "maximum 100 pages" rule that means that topics are kept to a reasonable size and makes the thread far too broad for any sort of discussion.
So is this the only issue you have? Also there isn't any officialy rule stating that says it's not okay to reach over 100 pages.. Most of them were just locked and then newely created. Unless this is a rule that is unoffiacly released idk.

Also most discussions there kinda end after a few posts, i haven't really seen one that would go over certain pages unlike back with the Political one and the Covid one as they discuss more important matters.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 am

I have never understood the reason why SMBX staff teams are so vehemently against forum games. Pretty much every internet forum has one, and on my one we even disabled the post count, and the only reason we did this was so users couldn't up their post count to get higher ranks, which doesn't make a lot of sense either - why does that matter? It's not like having another active sub-forum is going to take up a ton of data, it's just a bit of fun and games. It attracts users, but the stinking attitude will just deter them away.

The anti-forum games argument originates from the authoritarian nightmare that the original forums became before it was abandoned.

Something to think about.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:04 am

Knux wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 am
I have never understood the reason why SMBX staff teams are so vehemently against forum games. Pretty much every internet forum has one, and on my one we even disabled the post count, and the only reason we did this was so users couldn't up their post count to get higher ranks, which doesn't make a lot of sense either - why does that matter? It's not like having another active sub-forum is going to take up a ton of data, it's just a bit of fun and games. It attracts users, but the stinking attitude will just deter them away.

The anti-forum games argument originates from the authoritarian nightmare that the original forums became before it was abandoned.

Something to think about.
It's because the current SMBX staff are TRYING to make this forums unique by not allowing forum games on this forums. And if you want forum games THIS badly boss, then either:
  1. Make your own SMBX theme or your own pseudo forums.
  • Join another online forums that'll allow forum games (Like the VG Resource forums* for example).

*I just ask the staff members of the VG Resource community on Discord, I'll keep you updated when that replied to my question...

Return to “Events and Announcements”