Current Events

Off-topic discussion.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

European Union

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:32 pm

So well, considering I haven't noticed any thread such like this, I've decided to make one.

Discuss anything related to the European Union, let it be new laws, your opinions.

And well, to start off with, I'm going to have a question right from the-geto

Should the European Union be dismantled, stay as an economic alliance or become a federation such as the USA?
My own opinion: well even though the European Union has been given some harsh critizism lately (I can see why though, its peak was probably in 2016 when the migration crisis became a relevant issue and when the Brexit was decided), I personally think that we should smoothly try to transition towards a federal Europe due to the upcoming challenges we'll have to face and we also have to keep ourselves on par with the United States, Russia and China, considering those three having a much higher influence than Germany, France, Italy or the United Kingdom doesn't really help us in self-sustaining and so on.

However, I'm not saying that we should become a federation as soon as possible because that will NOT end up well. (by quickly I mean the span of 4 or 5 years or so) At first I think we should expand the array of member states with making countries such as Serbia join. The transition must stay smooth and it should also be ekpt democratic since we don't want to have something like the Soviet Union was.

And there is also a poll about whether you want the EU to collapse, you want it to stay as an alliance or you want it to become federal.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Re: European Union

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Too bad brexit had to happen (i don't 100% understand it though i know some details). Especially to my own country :(
I also think it should become a federation - this would allow it to be controlled by one major government while still allowing each state to have it's own laws etc. (maybe if it was a federation, brexit wouldn't have happened?)

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 pm

dismantling the EU would be the first step into another doom because humanity is not smart enough to learn ... if you go the step towards exclusion and nationalism, the step to war and destruction is not very large

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:37 pm
Too bad brexit had to happen (i don't 100% understand it though i know some details). Especially to my own country :(
I also think it should become a federation - this would allow it to be controlled by one major government while still allowing each state to have it's own laws etc. (maybe if it was a federation, brexit wouldn't have happened?)
Having Europe as a federation wouldn't necessarily prevent Brexit from happening, since, to my knowledge at least, so I might be mistaken, any US state could vote to leave the USA if they really wanted to but don't take that for granted.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm

So do you mean a federation like the USA? This will take a lot of work to do and i am sure some countries will refuse that. It will be interesting for Europe to be a federation but who will be in charge of the government? I won't trust politicians from East Europe being in charge of the government and i am also not sure if Angela Merkel would not do something stupid like creating a second refugge crisis.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm
I won't trust politicians from East Europe being in charge of the government and i am also not sure if Angela Merkel would not do something stupid like creating a second refugge crisis.
The migrant crisis back in 2015 was not caused by Europe or European politicians. It was caused mainly by civil wars in the middle east and the high numbers of people who were living there trying to flee from said wars and trying to find a better place to live. It is really more of an issue of how the situation was handled, which could have been done better imo. Countries can't control whether or not people want to move in, but they can control how they handle the situation, which most countries seem to be shit at right now.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm
So do you mean a federation like the USA? This will take a lot of work to do and i am sure some countries will refuse that. It will be interesting for Europe to be a federation but who will be in charge of the government? I won't trust politicians from East Europe being in charge of the government and i am also not sure if Angela Merkel would not do something stupid like creating a second refugge crisis.
A federal Europe (well, "USE") is not something that will (nor should) happen in the near future considering we've got more important issues. (such as the rise of nationalism) Also most Eastern European countries have a rather low population compared to Germany or France. Poland and Romania are kinda but Eastern European countries don't really aim for being a leading force in the EU, that's usually done by Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands)

The biggest obstacle of a federal Europe is most likely the language barrier, since it'd be quite a shame if everybody was forced to speak German, French or English in the entire union, so we'd probably have to settle down that the states would speak a different language)

But yeah a federal Europe similar to the USA is what I meant, excluding the universal official language.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't believe any supranational entity should have an army, currency, nor executive enforcement of laws ratified by unelected persons or committees. Basically a United States of Europe would not be the same as The United States of America, because it'd be a worse and arguably less democratic organization of power.

/twocents

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 pm

I personally don't know if you can make it a federation given the current circunstances. However, the EU is certainly a good thing. If you ask me, it should continue existing, but I don't think making it a federation would work out(At least as of now). As for the future, chances are that it will go through hard times. That is, if it manages to survive this wave of neo-nationalism that is going on in the world.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm

How many of you have even heard of Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive? In essence it's an attempt to force Youtube's ridiculous content ID system on every content platform on the entire internet.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Quantumenace wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm
How many of you have even heard of Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive? In essence it's an attempt to force Youtube's ridiculous content ID system on every content platform on the entire internet.
Plot twist: The UK, in fact, left because they found out that the EU would ban memes

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Re: Football World Championships 2018 Russia

Postby TheNightingale » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 pm

I loved the Croatia vs Russia match, it was very exciting, but sadly Croatia lost in the final against Francia :(

I posted too later I guess...

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:39 pm

are you a Croatia fan?

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:39 pm
are you a Croatia fan?
More or less but the team has great players

KC Garcia
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: I exist, I guess.

Goodbye, nintendo creators program

Postby KC Garcia » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Nintendo is finally learning from their mistakes!!!! :D

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Re: Goodbye, nintendo creators program

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 am

At last this thing is over.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:46 am

Oh goodie! I can finally be a (Nintendo) YouTuber without the copyright claims.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 am

mlluminaticonfirmed2 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 pm

what are you even talking about

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm

after reading a little bit about it, yeah, i'm glad they got rid of it.

KC Garcia
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: I exist, I guess.

Postby KC Garcia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 am
mlluminaticonfirmed2 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 pm