Current Events

Off-topic discussion.
idruinn
Banned
Flair: Don't worry, be happy!

Re: Huge Explosion in Beirut

Postby idruinn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Why was there a fungus on top of the explosion?

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 pm

idruinn wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 pm
Why was there a fungus on top of the explosion?
Google is a Good friend!

From web24 news: "Regarding the explosion seen in dozens of videos on social networks, the UC academic states that “after mixing with other substances and giving certain conditions, ammonium nitrate can explode releasing an impressive amount of energy (something called exothermic reaction), heating the air around it, which being less dense rises sharply. This generates a mushroom shape, and a very violent shock wave ”.

idruinn
Banned
Flair: Don't worry, be happy!

Postby idruinn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks Idunn!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Hurricane Laura

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Lately, Hurricane Laura has been picking up speed? and has recently reached Category four. (209-251 Kilometres per hour winds) and as of this post, has made landfall. Based on the news stations and weather stations, it might hit as a category 5 with the sustained wind speeds of 150 MPH (241.4 KPH) before it really makes landfall. (156+MPH/252+KPH winds are cat 5.) The path shows it landing on the state line of Texas and Louisiana in the United States. The "Storm Serge" appears to have a predicted reach into Arkansas as well. (Suggested I am reading the info correctly.)

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: Hurricane Laura

Postby Teemster2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:50 am

My state of Iowa just had a derecho event 2 weeks ago where a line of storms went from western Iowa all the way to Indiana, killing 2 people, spawning a weak tornado in Chicago and producing 80-140 mph winds in Iowa-Illinois and in some places for over an hour. I was without power for almost a week as many of the powerlines and trees were destroyed, buildings damaged, semi's flipped over, grain bins demolished and part of my roof shingles came off leading to a flood in my house from rain. Also we lost many corn fields. One of my brothers had a tree land on his truck destroying it and part of a tree flew through his glass window shattering his TV. I saw a trampoline rapped in powerlines and garbage cans were tossed down the street. My food in my fridge went bad and charging my phone ment wasting gas in my car due to no power. Not since 1998 has a derecho hit central Iowa. In 2011 one hit north central Iowa.

Now it was scary to be in but I knew it was coming hours before it hit and knew when the tornado sirens went off it was going to be bad.
Now the 140 mph winds were gusts. Sustained winds were lower than that.

Now with Hurricane Laura the sustained winds are over 140 MPH I believe and these winds will be ongoing for many hours. Add the storm surge and massive amounts of rain and you are looking at a life threatening storm with the aftermath being buildings completely wiped out, power out for weeks and towns will look like a war zone. Very scary thing to live through and I never want to experience a hurricane. To those suffering through Laura I feel sorry for them.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:01 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm
The "Storm Serge" appears to have a predicted reach into Arkansas as well. (Suggested I am reading the info correctly.)
That's a power outage potential graphic. Storm surge hitting Arkansas, being an inland state, from the coast would be an unbelievable catastrophe.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 am

I know about Hurricane Laura, because I have The Weather Channel app on my phone. And I'm kind of worried about the power outage in Houston, since my grandma lives here. :o

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:27 am

Aero wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:01 am
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm
The "Storm Serge" appears to have a predicted reach into Arkansas as well. (Suggested I am reading the info correctly.)
That's a power outage potential graphic. Storm surge hitting Arkansas, being an inland state, from the coast would be an unbelievable catastrophe.
I should apologize for the wrong image. I did misread stuff. Eitherway, with the current Wind Speed being 150 MPH of sustained winds, I think I have something to worry about.
Current Location and Wind Speed: show

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 am
I know about Hurricane Laura, because I have The Weather Channel app on my phone. And I'm kind of worried about the power outage in Houston, since my grandma lives here. :o
At least a power outage on its own isn't that bad, everyone else in surrounding states have to deal with Hurricane Laura.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Rhosty wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm
FireyPaperMario wrote:
At least a power outage on its own isn't that bad, everyone else in surrounding states have to deal with Hurricane Laura.
I mean, we have trees down here. I ended up without power for most of the day as well. (Actually lost a level I was working on as a result.) So far, everyone seems fine though. (At least from what I can see.)

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:18 pm
Rhosty wrote:
FireyPaperMario wrote:
I mean, we have trees down here. I ended up without power for most of the day as well. (Actually lost a level I was working on as a result.) So far, everyone seems fine though. (At least from what I can see.)
The worst of it was in Louisiana where entire buildings were demolished. Two more systems could become hurricanes later next week as they head towards the Gulf and Florida.

Losing power for just a day is not to bad. I lost it for a week just recently and that sucked. Back in 2007 I lost power for 3 days from a ice storm that knocked down many trees thus leaving my family with no heat and freezing cold temperatures. Had to use candles and warm blankets for heat. That really was horrible.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:19 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Rhosty wrote:

The worst of it was in Louisiana where entire buildings were demolished. Two more systems could become hurricanes later next week as they head towards the Gulf and Florida.

Losing power for just a day is not to bad. I lost it for a week just recently and that sucked. Back in 2007 I lost power for 3 days from a ice storm that knocked down many trees thus leaving my family with no heat and freezing cold temperatures. Had to use candles and warm blankets for heat. That really was horrible.
Honestly, the worst of it BARELY missed me as it veered to the east of us. Still got trees knocked over though. Originally, it was supposed to go to the west of us which is even more shocking. the path it took is kind of baffling with how sharp it turned after hitting Texas.

(...and yes, the entirety of my state was hit with a flash flood according to the map.)

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:43 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:19 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:

Honestly, the worst of it BARELY missed me as it veered to the east of us. Still got trees knocked over though. Originally, it was supposed to go to the west of us which is even more shocking. the path it took is kind of baffling with how sharp it turned after hitting Texas.

(...and yes, the entirety of my state was hit with a flash flood according to the map.)
Yeah Arkansas still had hurricane force gusts that did alot of damage. The National Hurricane Center had it to trek into Missouri and then move north east. I'm happy to hear you are ok. It's a scary thing to go through.

You could be looking at another Hurricane late next week.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:43 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:19 pm
Teemster2 wrote:

Yeah Arkansas still had hurricane force gusts that did alot of damage. The National Hurricane Center had it to trek into Missouri and then move north east. I'm happy to hear you are ok. It's a scary thing to go through.

You could be looking at another Hurricane late next week.
I actually hope it more fair. I enjoy the winds and rain we get as a result, but the damage is not so much fun. (First Hurricane I been through that did damage near me.)

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm

looks brutal

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Rhosty wrote:
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Next Tuesday or Wensday you will want to keep an eye on the Atlantic. Nana will hit Belize as a hurricane and then head towards Texas and Louisiana and a seperate storm will probably become a Hurricane, clip south Florida and then move towards Louisiana and Texas.

Both storms could make landfall as early as Tuesday and move inland towards Arkansas.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 am

Teemster2 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Rhosty wrote:

Next Tuesday or Wensday you will want to keep an eye on the Atlantic. Nana will hit Belize as a hurricane and then head towards Texas and Louisiana and a seperate storm will probably become a Hurricane, clip south Florida and then move towards Louisiana and Texas.

Both storms could make landfall as early as Tuesday and move inland towards Arkansas.
I check the NHC (National Hurricane Center) once a Friday from August 1st to October 31st for that reason.

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Another magor Hurricane is coming towards the US.

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:06 pm

This will be the third time this year a Hurricane will hit Louisiana. Hurricane Delta looks to make landfall Friday with winds over 145-150 MPH likely. Louisiana was hit hard by cat 4 Laura and then cat 2 Sally. Delta looks to be very severe (Cat 4-5) as it makes it's way up the Gulf of Mexico and into the US. Those living in louisiana or in surrounding states better get prepared. It's coming.

Return to “Sandbox”