The Invasion 3

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Invasion 3

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:39 pm

JulianSteve_18 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm
Will the levels made in the invasion 3 Shadow Star be included?
No, they will not!
That iteration of The Invasion 3 had different goals compared to this one, and also a different set of tools to work with.

P4VL0VSKEY
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Multi-talented
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Holy Kookie! I'm really looking forward to play it!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm

DisasterMaster wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:25 pm
TLtimelord wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:25 pm
I just want to reiterate SSX's talking point about custom npcs and go further down with it. For the sake of filespace I don't actually think we plan on using any custom NPCs at all, maybe one or two levels will have some custom npcs assets at most and I don't even want to promise that. This may be subject to change, but since the goal of this is to be apart of basegame in future versions of SMBX2 then we want to make sure we don't end up bloating the download size.
You should have very little problem with bloat, at least comparatively to The Invasion 2. When you download SMBX2 right now, it comes with The Invasion 2 as a basegame episode which consists of 2258 files @ 13.1 MBs. Most of those files are .gifs with masks and the actual .lvl files themselves.
I’m not sure if you’ve discussed with the devs if your Invasion 3 would replace the current one, but if it is a replacement then it would have to be of comparable size to not be consider “bloated”. This would not be as hard as you may think…

As I mentioned above, I converted all the level files of The Invasion 2 to .lvlx and graphics to .png, which decreased the size to 1751 files @ 6.84 MBs. That’s a 507 file and 6.26 MB decrease to its size, just by those simple steps. You could further decrease that by changing the same custom tilesets used in multiple levels (such as warp 1, warp 2, warp 3, warp 4, warp 8, and warp 9) onto episode custom blocks 751-1000 so that one block could be used over multiple levels while only taking up 1 extra file slot. Depending on how many levels use the same custom blocks, that too could be substantial.

Theoretically, you could create an episode with more levels that would actually be smaller in size than the current basegame Invasion 2.
ShadowStarX wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 am
(perhaps gravity if anything)
I'd be down with a "Low G Labyrinth" level. If anything, it could help people create that type of effect for their levels by letting them examine the Lua used to make it.
To go even further on that, you can also use mostly base-game music and .spcs. I do not think custom NPCs would exactly "bloat" the file-size however.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 am

I'm just psyching myself out about the filesize of the episode that's all lol

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ShadowXeldron » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:17 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm
To go even further on that, you can also use mostly base-game music and .spcs. I do not think custom NPCs would exactly "bloat" the file-size however.
Agreed with you there. Although SPCs are only for SNES music. Luckilly, SMBX2 supports OGG (better and smaller than MP3, and you can loop it) as well as other stuff like NSF (NES) and GYM (Genesis). All the compatible SMBX2 audio formats are here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL_Mixer_X

Kimjosh12
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Future Creator SMBXY

Postby Kimjosh12 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 am

I wish to get super computer to download deez nuts, I Wish to create my own Video Games in future :) :) :)

JulianSteve_18
Koopa
Koopa

Postby JulianSteve_18 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Also as a suggestion, I think they should give an improvement to the graphics they use, for example in the level "Brick Block Massacre" you can see that the starman has the sprite of SMW and it would be good if it had the sprite of SMB1 since that level It is set on a SMB1 level, and also that the coin and brick effects had their corresponding sprites depending on the theme of the level.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:53 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Not every single basegame SMBX2 feature will be featured (primarily those NPCs that are difficult to design around in a beginner-friendly way)
Which specific NPCs are difficult to design around? I'll see if I can make a rough-draft of a level featuring any that you mention.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:09 am

Looks pretty good so far, levels look well designed and don’t really overuse custom graphics for now or anything like that.

If you ever would need a third tester I’m up for it.

Level designers sound promising.

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:32 pm

To round things out, how about an optional Star World with a night/space/abstract theme?
DisasterMaster wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:53 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:
Not every single basegame SMBX2 feature will be featured (primarily those NPCs that are difficult to design around in a beginner-friendly way)
Which specific NPCs are difficult to design around? I'll see if I can make a rough-draft of a level featuring any that you mention.
Frightlight or whatever it's called might be one, I think. I'm not sure how it even works...

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Something to point out with the Retroville level; some of the graphics used in it aren't accurate to their original NES counterparts (as an example, the green parts of the tree semisolids had outlines in the original SMB1 but not here for some reason). Would anyone be against me uploading replacement graphics.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:30 am

Murphmario wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 pm
Something to point out with the Retroville level; some of the graphics used in it aren't accurate to their original NES counterparts (as an example, the green parts of the tree semisolids had outlines in the original SMB1 but not here for some reason). Would anyone be against me uploading replacement graphics.
Honestly accurate NES graphics as PNGs would be great and appreciated.
(This is the level that is talked about)

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:36 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:32 pm
To round things out, how about an optional Star World with a night/space/abstract theme?
DisasterMaster wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:53 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:
Frightlight or whatever it's called might be one, I think. I'm not sure how it even works...
Frightlight functions much the same as a Boo, except when you look at it, it'll teleport to another location within the level after staring for a few seconds.
True to its name, it also has a light source attached to its head (useful when in dark levels).

Hope that helps.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:01 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:30 am
Murphmario wrote:
Okay, here they are. Feel free to use these for levels and whatnot that aren't related to TI3 as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9lop17eh16c8 ... s.zip?dl=0
Also, you can easily convert GIFs to PNGs via a tool included in PGE. It's under external tools.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:01 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:30 am
Murphmario wrote:
Okay, here they are. Feel free to use these for levels and whatnot that aren't related to TI3 as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9lop17eh16c8 ... s.zip?dl=0
Also, you can easily convert GIFs to PNGs via a tool included in PGE. It's under external tools.
I know that, but it can be tedious with recolors of vanilla graphics, as then the tool is not so useful.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Re: The Invasion 3 [31/12/20 Update]

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh you think we've forgotten this?! You were wrong!

Anyways, two GIFs showcasing two levels by MrDoubleA, utilizing the difference between autorotate=true and autorotate=false:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Also, screenshots of World 1 and World 2 maps are available now:
ImageImage
Note: levels and other assets are subject to change. (in other words, we haven't forgotten the existence of ParalX2, as demonstrated in the 2nd GIF)

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:31 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Oh you think we've forgotten this?! You were wrong!

Anyways, two GIFs showcasing two levels by MrDoubleA, utilizing the difference between autorotate=true and autorotate=false:
ImageImage
Also, screenshots of World 1 and World 2 maps are available now:
ImageImage
Note: levels and other assets are subject to change. (in other words, we haven't forgotten the existence of ParalX2, as demonstrated in the 2nd GIF)
Just a couple questions: Is the Auto-Rotate Platforms Grey, and Manual-Rotate Platforms Brown? Or is it just aesthetics?

Liking the new World 1 and 2 maps so far.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:53 am

World 2 reminds me of "The Great Empire". Specifically it's world 2. Curious how that ice map will be done.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:19 am

Jumper wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:31 pm
Just a couple questions: Is the Auto-Rotate Platforms Grey, and Manual-Rotate Platforms Brown? Or is it just aesthetics?
They are indeed meant to be a differentiator.
Jumper wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:31 pm
Liking the new World 1 and 2 maps so far.
Thanks! :)
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: World 2 reminds me of "The Great Empire". Specifically it's world 2. Curious how that ice map will be done.
Huh I actually only noticed that after you pointed that out. Though a key difference is that in this one you go from the bottom to the top. (kinda meant to imitate Yoshi's Island and Donut Plains, minus the Donut Plains lake)

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:09 am

Do all worlds have four main levels? Also, four of the five levels of world 2 are secretive!?

Return to “Projects”