The Invasion 3

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Invasion 3

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:09 am
Do all worlds have four main levels? Also, four of the five levels of world 2 are secretive!?
There are like 4-7 main levels in a world, depends how many ideas we have.

Also yes 5 levels of W2 have a secret exit, as Frigid Awesome Land is accessed via those pipes.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:50 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 am
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Do all worlds have four main levels? Also, four of the five levels of world 2 are secretive!?

Also yes 5 levels of W2 have a secret exit, as Frigid Awesome Land is accessed via those pipes.
I thought that was how the world 1 pipes were connected. Curious to see the final pipe-work.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:32 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:50 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:

I thought that was how the world 1 pipes were connected. Curious to see the final pipe-work.
Well you know how Frostlands plays a crucial role in speedrunning.
We would like to keep that!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:32 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:32 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:50 pm
ShadowStarX wrote:

Well you know how Frostlands plays a crucial role in speedrunning.
We would like to keep that!
Although true, does that not abuse a few glitches or clever level choices using either the ice flower or hammer suit?

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 am

Will Retroland now use actual NES Music?

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:51 pm

You might have already caught it in testing, but on the world map of the first world in your screenshot there is no music box over the Star Road.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 am

DisasterMaster wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:51 pm
You might have already caught it in testing, but on the world map of the first world in your screenshot there is no music box over the Star Road.
The Star Road isn't finished anyway but I already fixed the music box issues.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:32 pm
Although true, does that not abuse a few glitches or clever level choices using either the ice flower or hammer suit?
I'm designing one or two of the frostlands levels. I wouldn't count on any glitches, better bet is ease with powerups

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm

TLtimelord wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:05 am
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I'm designing one or two of the frostlands levels. I wouldn't count on any glitches, better bet is ease with powerups
Have you seen Invasion 2 speedruns? Using an ice flower, you can clip through the invisible bridge in Ice-1 and you can use a perise enemy placevent to skip the boot requirement in Ice-2.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm
TLtimelord wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Have you seen Invasion 2 speedruns? Using an ice flower, you can clip through the invisible bridge in Ice-1 and you can use a perise enemy placevent to skip the boot requirement in Ice-2.
That's assuming they use the same Invisible Coin Block "Bridge" gimmick from Frigid Awesome Land (Ice-2). I felt that it was tedious to "build" and, like Mech mentioned, could be easily bypassed through iceblock clips or Zelda's teleport jump. This negated the whole idea of making the bridge then using a hammer suit to gain access above it to cross, cheapening the secret path's feel.

The same could be said for White Savage Zone (Ice-1) supposed to be requiring a Boot or Yoshi for a boosted jump. Why waste time getting that when you can just get a Leaf and fly up to the keyhole ledge in the last section?

These easy or glitched bypasses are the things to avoid in the next iteration of the Ice World. I hope it focuses more on the new ice-based enemies like Flurries and Flipruses (possibly using them to reveal secret exits).
Or you could require the Yellow Switch Palace to be pressed for Ice-1's secret exit to be active, to require some of the first world to be completed; likewise with the Green Switch Palace for Ice-2.
Or even some combination of Power-ups, Enemies, and Switch Palaces...such as using a fire flower to melt an iceblock that a Flurry is behind, freeing it to jump on to cross a spiked tunnel that is only open when the proper Switch Palace is pressed.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 pm

DisasterMaster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:31 pm
TLtimelord wrote:

That's assuming they use the same Invisible Coin Block "Bridge" gimmick from Frigid Awesome Land (Ice-2). I felt that it was tedious to "build" and, like Mech mentioned, could be easily bypassed through iceblock clips or Zelda's teleport jump. This negated the whole idea of making the bridge then using a hammer suit to gain access above it to cross, cheapening the secret path's feel.

The same could be said for White Savage Zone (Ice-1) supposed to be requiring a Boot or Yoshi for a boosted jump. Why waste time getting that when you can just get a Leaf and fly up to the keyhole ledge in the last section?

These easy or glitched bypasses are the things to avoid in the next iteration of the Ice World. I hope it focuses more on the new ice-based enemies like Flurries and Flipruses (possibly using them to reveal secret exits).
Or you could require the Yellow Switch Palace to be pressed for Ice-1's secret exit to be active, to require some of the first world to be completed; likewise with the Green Switch Palace for Ice-2.
Or even some combination of Power-ups, Enemies, and Switch Palaces...such as using a fire flower to melt an iceblock that a Flurry is behind, freeing it to jump on to cross a spiked tunnel that is only open when the proper Switch Palace is pressed.
For reference on what I am talking about on Ice-2:

https://youtu.be/oBsAO73GFYc

Ice-1

https://youtu.be/z4q0137Y1g8

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 am

Can I be removed from the betatester list? I'm not committed enough to anything SMBX right now.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 am
Can I be removed from the betatester list? I'm not committed enough to anything SMBX right now.
Sure thing.
You're free to sign back up if you intend to though.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm

One of the things that I always thought was odd about the Invasion series was the fact that the Invasion-type (Airship) levels didn't show up until half way through. It feels front-loaded with castles and back-loaded with airships, bringing a disconnect to the way the ends of each world feels from beginning to finale.

Might I suggest to alternate between Dungeon and Invasion final levels for each new world. That way we would get to experience an Invasion earlier in the game while also keeping a rhythm of Castle, Airship, Castle, Airship, and so on. It would help with that disconnected feel and would do away with the odd situation that the Koopa Kingdom had with both a Castle and Airship.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:35 am

DisasterMaster wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm
One of the things that I always thought was odd about the Invasion series was the fact that the Invasion-type (Airship) levels didn't show up until half way through. It feels front-loaded with castles and back-loaded with airships, bringing a disconnect to the way the ends of each world feels from beginning to finale.

Might I suggest to alternate between Dungeon and Invasion final levels for each new world. That way we would get to experience an Invasion earlier in the game while also keeping a rhythm of Castle, Airship, Castle, Airship, and so on. It would help with that disconnected feel and would do away with the odd situation that the Koopa Kingdom had with both a Castle and Airship.
Actually we already restructured the way of Dungeons and Airships.
Every world will have a dungeon and then every odd-numbered world, except for World 1, will also have an airship after the dungeon.
And World 8 has a Sunken Ghost Ship after the dungeon.

Also regarding speedruns. We are aiming to make this rather speedrun-friendly, at least in the Any% route.

vitzie629
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I have greatly made levels!

Postby vitzie629 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Can you do more previews of The Invasion 3 on YouTube and screenshots?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am

Is there still any activity on this?

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am
Is there still any activity on this?
We're like nearly halfway done with the main game levels, the reason progress slowed down is because it's my final year of high school.
Don't worry, this is not cancelled.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Analyzing the screenshots, does it look like some original TI2 levels will remain unchanged? (not saying that's a bad thing, just suggesting to expand and pretty them up a bit)

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:49 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Analyzing the screenshots, does it look like some original TI2 levels will remain unchanged? (not saying that's a bad thing, just suggesting to expand and pretty them up a bit)
From what I can see on the screenshots, the levels that are comparable to TI2 (Super Easy Road, Go Go Goomba, Subcon Nightmare Land, Desert Maze, & Bubbles in the Sky) all have noticeable differences. They did say that some levels will be reiterations, similar to how some TI1 levels carried over into TI2 with some changes.

I'm sure that once they complete all the level layouts and test them for proper difficulty, they will go back and add in the aesthetics to "pretty them up."

With them adding in an entire new main world (Vanilla Mines), new side world (Nimbus Land), and more levels per world, I think we may see most of the TI2 levels return upgraded though.

Return to “Projects”