[ANOTHER HUGE UPDATE] [NPC Pack] Donkey Kong NPCs!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

[ANOTHER HUGE UPDATE] [NPC Pack] Donkey Kong NPCs!

Postby MegaDood » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:51 am

Hi everyone, this is my first NPC pack, which consists of some Donkey Kong Country NPCs.

Some of these were requested by FireSeraphim, and the graphics were also made by him as well, along with graphics by SuperAlex as well as some by electro_kun, except for the Ghost Ropes, which were requested by Shinbison and were an edit of the original DKC2 sprites and the Tikis which were originally sprited by MiitopianOliveDA and their animations were expanded by SuperAlexMaker. The lurchins have an alternate set of sprites by SuperAlex, MiitopianOliveDA and NOBODY as well.

There are tons of new enemies to fight, objects to play with, and collectables to collect, and all the previous NPCs have been merged into this new folder. I will be treating this like my other NPC packs from now on and will update it as new things get made. There's a txt for credits in each folder, so please check them out when providing credits for your levels.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy these.

Big thanks to Quine for helping, as well as MrDoubleA with the zingers.
Alos bit thanks to Marioman2007 for helping out with the KONG Letters.
Others helped with other smaller things, and credits for them are also listed in the npc's lua files.
Thanks to 8luestorm for helping with the klaptraps.

Screenshots and gifs:
Spoiler: show
Last edited by MegaDood on Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:27 am, edited 37 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: [NPC Pack] Donkey Kong Country Zingers!

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 am

I'm surprised you didn't just resprite the Van de Graf. Van de Graf is basically a Zinger after all, with how it's immune to everything and has programmable parabolic movement.

MarioLover64
Spike
Spike

Postby MarioLover64 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 am
with how it's immune to everything
Rambi, Winky, Squawks, Squitter, Rattly, and COCONUT GUN: are we jokes to you

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:24 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:19 pm
Enjl wrote:
I think it goes without saying that I meant elements present within SMBX. For a less immune variant of the Van de Graf, the Graf's AI file can always be copied to a custom range slots with harm types adjusted.

Btw, neural networks can come up with less tired response formats.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:37 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
You also forgot to mention barrels which someone else made a script for and besides there is only so much you can do with respriting that if you want to bring more authenticity to an npc than sometimes it's better to code it yourself and I'm like how there are all these Donkey Kong Country NPCs being brought into existence even if only five that I know of exist at the moment.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Enjl wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't just resprite the Van de Graf. Van de Graf is basically a Zinger after all, with how it's immune to everything and has programmable parabolic movement.
Ah... That's true, I basically just wanted to add some new things though, such as the red ones being immune to everything except for explosions, having them work with redirectors and having turning animations. Just for more authenticity I guess I decided to make a new NPC.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:32 am

MegaDood wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Enjl wrote:
Ah... That's true, I basically just wanted to add some new things though, such as the red ones being immune to everything except for explosions, having them work with redirectors and having turning animations. Just for more authenticity I guess I decided to make a new NPC.
Totally fair. Those options are pretty rad. It might be cool to have a variant with programmable path using the graf code on top of that, too.

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Enjl wrote:
It's nice to have a fully functional version of Zinger even if it's similar to Van de Graf. I know it would have been easier to respite but this is still cool.

Now I have a honest question. I have yet to see anyone make bounty bass, bounty bird or breamin gleamin from DKC. Is it difficult to create enemies that give you items such as power ups or light up your path? I'm just wondering.

Added in 53 seconds:
MegaDood wrote:
Enjl wrote:
I think these are amazing. I love enemies from DKC. Keep up the amazing work.

Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:37 pm
MarioLover64 wrote:
Enjl wrote:
You also forgot to mention barrels which someone else made a script for and besides there is only so much you can do with respriting that if you want to bring more authenticity to an npc than sometimes it's better to code it yourself and I'm like how there are all these Donkey Kong Country NPCs being brought into existence even if only five that I know of exist at the moment.
Eventually we may get all of them but some may be hard to recreate. I'm loving this though. Can't wait for more. Aqua npc's in Donkey Kong were amazing and then there is click clack and knick knack etc. If we patiently wait All SMB 1-3 games, SMW 1-2 and DKC 1-3 may get completed.

It would be nice to have a place where all polished npc's are located at for easy find, search and download since they won't all be in base game 2.0 and here they could get lost in all the threads being started.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Added in 53 seconds:
MegaDood wrote:
I think these are amazing. I love enemies from DKC. Keep up the amazing work.
Thank you! I plan on releasing an update featuring Enjl's suggestion of adding a programmable path some time in the future, it really would add a lot of extra customization. However I'm not sure when this'll be since I'm pretty busy with general life.

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:59 am

Woah these look awesome! These would be perfect with my episode too. Are you planning to work on other DKC enemies in the future?

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:26 am

The Thwomp King wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:59 am
Woah these look awesome! These would be perfect with my episode too. Are you planning to work on other DKC enemies in the future?
Thank you!
And I've considered making more, though I'm not sure if and when I'd get the time to. If I do decide to make any more I'd most likely release them on the forums too.

Roger Mario
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Roger Mario » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:31 pm

I can't get it to work even though im putting the zingers ai in the right place. Plus what do these strings of text even mean? and how do I fix it?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm

The error means that the code was looking for a file called zingers.lua in an "AI" folder and couldn't find it.

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II
Pronouns: he/him

Postby FirestarPlays » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:07 pm

This may seem like a silly question, but how do I change the zinger algorithm?

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 pm

FirestarPlays wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:07 pm
If I interpreted the question correctly, when you select the zinger, on the right should be an extra settings menu with a drop down menu, you can change that to choose how you want the zinger to behave. It's similar to how you change the behavior of para-koopas and cheep cheeps.

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:36 am

MegaDood wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 pm
FirestarPlays wrote:
If I interpreted the question correctly, when you select the zinger, on the right should be an extra settings menu with a drop down menu, you can change that to choose how you want the zinger to behave. It's similar to how you change the behavior of para-koopas and cheep cheeps.
Well problem is its greyed out and I can't change the behavior (Also my array id is 178 for some reason?)

MarioLover64
Spike
Spike

Postby MarioLover64 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 am

FirestarPlays wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:36 am
MegaDood wrote:
FirestarPlays wrote:
Well problem is its greyed out and I can't change the behavior (Also my array id is 178 for some reason?)
Save as lvlx

FirestarPlays
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby FirestarPlays » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:05 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 am
FirestarPlays wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:36 am
MegaDood wrote:

Save as lvlx
My level is lvlx

BroccoliRampage
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Moop!

Postby BroccoliRampage » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:23 pm

Thank you for this wonderful creation!!

I have tweaked it a bit using the original sprites, both the PSD file and the PNG can be downloaded:

Zinger PSD https://www.dropbox.com/s/91rv54lwrg3bs ... s.psd?dl=0
Zinger PNGhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/mzus07xvwvtxg ... t.png?dl=0

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:20 am

BroccoliRampage wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:23 pm
Thank you for this wonderful creation!!

I have tweaked it a bit using the original sprites, both the PSD file and the PNG can be downloaded:

Zinger PSD https://www.dropbox.com/s/91rv54lwrg3bs ... s.psd?dl=0
Zinger PNGhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/mzus07xvwvtxg ... t.png?dl=0
I'm glad you like them! Those sprites look great, they remind me a lot of the original DKC sprites.

Return to “LunaLua”