[NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: Bug Fixes for Upside Down Beetle & Wild Piranha)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: More SMW2:YI Stuff)

Postby GtW » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 am

Do you mind PM me that specific level real quick? I could take a quick look.
No GFX or stuff needed unless it's lua-related such as custom NPCs.

EDIT: Thank you very much! I have verified that the problem is fixed. I just I forgot to initialize one variable.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm

Here a sheet of the YI enemies in the correct palette I did a while ago:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nemies.png
Other than that, these look pretty good!

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:23 pm

I love these! It's always been a dream of mine to have YI enemies in SMBX, thank you for making more of these!

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:42 am

I was testing with the Pointey NPCs and found that they act strangely when trying to be eaten by Yoshi. It usually comes up with this error, other times he eats it with a strange animation from the enemy.

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby GtW » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:36 am

MegaDood wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:42 am
I was testing with the Pointey NPCs and found that they act strangely when trying to be eaten by Yoshi. It usually comes up with this error, other times he eats it with a strange animation from the enemy.
Sorry! I intended for it to not be able to get eaten by Yoshi so I completely forgot about to test that interaction.
I have updated its lua file in the drive (It's recommended to redownload the stem too though, I've updated it also).
While the new one does have proper noyoshi property, it also should handle that case properly with it off now.
(Proper NPC validity and stuff, the error happened is a mixture of stem destroying code and my attempt of the fool-proof solution that the NPC would self-destruct if it's a part of any spawner)

EDIT: More reply
Murphmario wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm
Thank you very much! This would be so much helpful. It just only occured to me when I started to work on this series that SNES SMW2:YI rips are pretty incomplete, so I had to resort to GBA rips. I will update all the SMW2:YI Graphics with proper palette together during the next big update hopefully.

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm
I didn't know you could remove the spiny shelmets from those guys (They look like spiny shelmets, so i'm calling them shelmets)

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:19 am

One thing I also noticed about the balloon NPC is that it drops its container in front of the player, when I thought that the ones in YI drop directly above the player? Im unsure if its intentional or not, but what would I need to change in order to achieve this?

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby GtW » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 am

MegaDood wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:19 am
One thing I also noticed about the balloon NPC is that it drops its container in front of the player, when I thought that the ones in YI drop directly above the player? Im unsure if its intentional or not, but what would I need to change in order to achieve this?
That'd be this highlighted value. Change it to some low value (as long as it's greater than 0)
Spoiler: show
Though, now that you said it. Ideally, this value should be adjustable in the NPC config. I guess I missed this one.
I have updated the one on the drive now.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am

Tip: Might be worthwhile to center-align the position check math.abs((player.x + 0.5 * player.width) - (v.x + 0.5 * v.width)) < 64 in case there are players wider than the balloon, or balloons wider than the player.

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby GtW » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am
Tip: Might be worthwhile to center-align the position check math.abs((player.x + 0.5 * player.width) - (v.x + 0.5 * v.width)) < 64 in case there are players wider than the balloon, or balloons wider than the player.
Oh, thanks for the tip!
I thought the x and y position is the center of the sprites so I didn't do that before.

Since the others stuff here also used that position checking method, I will update the all the NPCs with this change during the next update.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am

GtW wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 am
Enjl wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am
Oh, thanks for the tip!
I thought the x and y position is the center of the sprites so I didn't do that before.

Since the others stuff here also used that position checking method, I will update the all the NPCs with this change during the next update.
Ahh, I see. Yeah, in SMBX things are usually top-left anchored (as those are the lowest numbers on the object's coordinates and you can add width and height to get the other edges), unless it's some lua-based library that decided that something else would be more convenient. The exception to this is the section class, that instead uses a Rect with left, top, right and bottom coordinates (though that just arguably makes the center more tedious to get to).

Lusho
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Intention is what matters

Postby Lusho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm

In fact most computer coordinates stuff is based in Top-Left, probably because of scanlines going top to down - left to right

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am

What will this guy make next?

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm

Whatever he wants to do next I guess?

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Really liking what I'm seeing with the update. This is some good stuff

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: Wild Piranhas)

Postby GtW » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Update again.
This one is taking a bit longer than expected, but I hope you enjoy it regardless!

This time, I've finished SMW2:YI Wild Piranha Plant and Wild Ptooie Plant.

A piranha plant variant from SMW2:YI that tries to chomp you or splitting projectile at you.
Wild Piranha Plant took 1 NPC hit or 5 fireballs to defeat, while Wild Ptooie Plant took 3 NPCs hit or 15 fireballs to defeat.
Do note that Wild Ptooie Plant will only face the preset direction, for ease of level mapping and coding.

Each one took 2 NPC slots, with the stalk shared.
Screenshot:

Special thanks to MegaDood for help beta testing the NPC.

The drive has been updated.
Enjoy!

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm

Thanks for letting me beta test!
I think these piranha plants turned out really nicely, especially how you replicated their movement.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 am

Lots of Yoshi Island NPCs lately. Planning on making any more SMW2:YI NPCs since there is a lot more NPCs I could look forward to that aren't in base game like Yoshi Island Shy Guys and there Lantern Ghost counterparts would be nice to see someone make.

GtW
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: SMB3 Paragoomba & Ceiling Beetles)

Postby GtW » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Update!
I have finished 2 more NPC sets. This time, I took a break from SMW2:YI for a bit to do some more SMB3 stuffs.

First one is SMB3 Brown Paragoomba.
A Paragoomba that flies up and drops Micro-Goomba at you.
The micro-goomba will prevent you from being able to jump until certain time passed then you can shake them off.
You can also shake them off instantly if you go into the water or collect Starman.

The micro-goomba crawling time until they can be able to shaken off can be changed in the NPC config.

Screenshot:

Next is the SMB3 Upside Down Buzzy Beetle & Spiny
The infamous enemy originated from the Pyramid stage.
The Buzzy Beetle and Spiny that climbs on ceiling and drops down onto you when approached.

Special thanks for Enjl for Polflip Ceiling detection code, and Yoshi021 and MrDoubleA for shell interaction code.
Do note that it doesn't work with the ceiling slopes though, please use with caution.
Screenshot:

Again, special thanks to MegaDood for help beta testing and suggestion on how to improve the NPC!

As usual,the drive has been updated with new stuffs.

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 am
Lots of Yoshi Island NPCs lately. Planning on making any more SMW2:YI NPCs since there is a lot more NPCs I could look forward to that aren't in base game like Yoshi Island Shy Guys and there Lantern Ghost counterparts would be nice to see someone make.
Well, good news. You're in luck! SMW2:YI Shy Guys (and Lantern Ghosts) are coming soon (hopefully). I just need to work out some kinks here and there first. But overall, they're coming along just fine.
Last edited by GtW on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Re: [NPC Pack] Some NPCs I have made (Update: SMB3 Paragoomba & Ceiling Beetles)

Postby Murphmario » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Looking good. The only problem I have is that the Spiny and Buzzy Beetle shells upon landing look like they're moving too slowly compared to other SMBX shells.

Return to “LunaLua”