Chocolate Contest X1 - WE HAVE A WINNER

Official community level contests.
Thessbmzocker
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: Chocolate Contest X1 (Rules and Discussion) [RESULTS] (Placements 42-11)

Postby Thessbmzocker » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:17 am

Honestly, I'm still shocked my level got 20th. I don't really know where else to put it but here... I put together a, rather long, text of what thoughts I had during the time of making this level. Something like a dev commentary. (Remember those from the old games? Nowadays we get dev commentary through source code leaks....)
So if anyones interested what went through with making my level, as well as some more tidbits, Ill leave it in the spoiler so people can savely ignore it if they dont want to read it or want to play the level first ^^''
Spoiler: show
I don’t remember when exactly I started work on the level. My files say I started on May 25th but I also deleted and created files here and there so I’m not too sure if that’s truly the beginning.
However whenever I did begin I already knew I would use one of the characters that people don’t really use all that much. It was a small personal challenge. I’ve never made a level publicly available. At least not in SMBX. I have made quite a few levels for Mario Maker 2. But… the way MM2 does the level upload feels more... impersonal if you get my drift. It’s just click upload and there ya go. Unless they use the level code or follow you they most likely won't see the levels description. With this contest things were different though. And as such I wanted to also express a lot more. And this made me reconsider from making a Klonoa level, to a Solid Snake level. I’m a fan of both franchises so it was either one or the other. But Metal Gears 4th wall breaking gave me an option to tinker around a bit more. I do wonder where the Klonoa level would’ve gone though. Maybe I’ll look back to my ideas and make the level regardless.
Anyway, after deciding for a character I immediately had ideas for the beginning of the level.

The first big expression I made was sort of recreating the title screen of MGS. One of two things the judges, and other players, might’ve not even seen. But I wanted it in there. It’s simply just a background tile changed to a scaled down screenshot of the title screen, with an animated level tile acting as the press start button. Nothing to it really but I just like little things like that.

It’s always interesting to think about how a stealth operation starts. Where’s the entry point? What would make sense for the setting? I chose the sewers. They make a lot of sense and, while quite a cliche I give you that, are also areas I feel like wouldn’t be under heavy surveillance. I placed a single galoomba there. Why? Honestly the area felt quite empty. And there was more planned for this little guy but it was ultimately cut. I’ll talk about that in a later part. With a hidden trigger (I didn’t know about the actual hidden triggers until way later so I used the axe and changed its graphics. I learned a lot during this contest) placed close to him so he would turn around if you get too close. But I made the movement speed of the galoombas be 0. So that they wouldn’t be much of a threat BUT they’d work great as surveillance cameras. Not everything I put in was meant to be deadly from the get go. I felt having an enemy that doesn’t actually harm the player unless you walk straight into them helps ease people into the concept. As a nod to the franchise I also placed a lot of textboxes. Since what’s Metal Gear without hours spent on talking. But it was also to remind people how Snake works. He is a bit different from Mario.

After the short sewer section you’re outside the big Mansion. In hindsight maybe I should’ve named the level Mansion Moses. But Castle Moses has a nicer ring to it. Here’s another part where I wanted to already go more into things. First off, I made sure that the player will die if they get too close to the main entrance. It’s a stealth game. You’re not supposed to just walz in. Even if that’s usually the best method in MGS5 surprisingly. To help guide the players I lit up one of the windows. Giving the players an idea where to go. Putting background objects in places that made them seem climbable, like the statue in front of the tree, I further helped guide the player without telling them to go there. Why wouldn’t you try to use the statue to get closer to the window? But I knew the second someone is at the tree top, they may opt to go left. See if I thought ahead. And I did. With another hidden trigger I made the tree snap under Snakes weight, which naturally alerted the guards. Suddenly there’s more. And if you're not careful on your way down you might accidentally trigger the galoomba. Even if they don’t walk around, they still spawn pawns that can potentially spawn on you. The last tree branch also has a plattform under it. But I didn't make it snap. It's pretty hard getting up there. With that it goes into the “Castle”. And here’s where my problems started.

You’d be surprised how often I redid this section. Interior designs is something I struggle with. I admit it’s still rather ugly to look at.
Trying the show don’t tell approach again, I made it so that a Shy Guy is rather close to you so you wouldn’t just rush ahead. Instead it made you wait in the little starting corner. Where you then saw that certain blocks can block the search light and you can safely crouch behind them without ever being seen. I made the Shy Guys immortal though. I didn’t want that the player can just kill everyone and make the level easy peasy. I also learned that Snake can’t crouch when he is standing on an NPC. Curious. I placed some torches that you can stand on without being noticed, as well as the first prisoner door. I thought long and hard about if the player should see the pass through blocks or not. After asking friends I decided they should. In MG2, MGS and MGS2 there's the radar that helps you see enemies ahead, thus I thought being able to see where enemies would patrol was a good addition. There was supposed to be more guards in this section, even using a spring to be able to walk down from a ledge and be jumped back up but I ran into many issues with that. NPCs just falling through the floor if you were a certain distance away for example. In general the way the game renders enemies can be a pain to account for. You can just keep an enemy barely offscreen and the moment they turn around they just vanish until you re-enter the section. I then just put a Shy Guy next to the door on the ledge, in a position that it won’t bother you immediately if you came out of the door. Speaking of the doors, my contest entry was almost cut entirely. I didn’t realize the amount of stars in a level was limited. I was already pretty much done with most of the level by the time I realized the error. Thankfully Mechdragon777 helped me out big time with making a code that checked for the amount of Starcoins you had. I then just placed an NPC in front of the door and just swapped it with a teleport if you had enough coins for the doors. To not make this too long I’m going to speed along now.
For the lower area I simply put enemies there as well as hidden triggers to make the player realize it isn’t a good idea to go to the main entrance. At one point there was a teleport on the doors. In case a player actually did try. But I took it away. You would’ve most likely died from the Koopas on the outside so there was no point.

I’m very proud of the elevator. It however took me days to figure out the exact speed and block movement to get it just right. I didn’t want the elevator to be off by even a pixel. So lots of fine tuning went into the elevator. Only after I had it perfect did I learn there’s an actual button that helps you with that. Again, I’m still rather new to actually making more complex levels in SMBX than just 1-1 remakes. I also tried to get as little help as possible. Another self imposed challenge. I wanted to make this level within my limits as much as possible, and not with the help of someone else. It wouldn’t feel like my level at that point anymore to me personally.

From here on there were a lot of cuts. And I mean a lot. The entire elevator part had more doors than it does now. While I had planned to not use more than 5 Keycoins there were still multiple paths for the player to take. Luckily I cut almost all of them. I would’ve probably missed the deadline if I actually went with the original scale. The rooms that did make the cut are all inspired by areas from MGS. The hidden claymores, the nuclear warhead storage area that would gas you to death if you were spotted, the caves and the furnace. I did put the claymores way under the ground, so only very few pixels would be touchable by the player. So that you had more room to maneuver in midair, rather than explode too often. But given the feedback, maybe I shouldn’t have made tight jumps with them. I also placed Parakoopas in a way that they never ever see you if you simply crouch. And they’re not invincible. So you could knock them out with a well aimed punch. But I didn’t give any clue about that. I felt like that at this point you might have to let players figure some things out on their own. I probably hecked the execution up though. Then you fight Boom Boom and get your first Starcoin. I really should’ve placed a checkpoint there. The gas room isn’t much to talk about. Just instant kill blocks if you're spotted. I did use sprites to make an actual bathroom though. It was a small nod to how Snake crawls over a toilet and see’s Johnny. I placed a teleport there early to not make the player run all the way back again. I already did that with Boom Boom and felt that I could throw a bone there.

Originally Toad wasn’t supposed to give you anything. Originally after rescuing Toad you’d head to the Caves only to realize you need a box to hide. You would’ve then backtracked to the start. Remember the galoomba? Yeah he originally guarded the box. You would have gotten the ice flower, that puts enemies to sleep if used by Snake, to make him sleep and steal the box.

At this point I started to run out of time. I still wanted to have lots of time for people to test the level.(By the end only one friend actually had time to test the level. So there probably might still be things we missed.) So the furnace sadly got a bit rushed. I wanted the elevator to go through the grass since it was supposed to be a hidden lab. In fact this was the big 4th wall break I wanted in the game. Originally there wasn’t going to be a button that makes the elevator go deeper. At least not visible to the player. You had to look at “the back of the box”. For this contest I created actual boxart, where the button was visible. However after I learned that the judges may not even look into the folder, I feared they may miss that and get lost. So I opted to still include the boxart and make a reference to it, but at the same time make the button visible by the time they get the Starcoin from Mario. So even if they don’t look at the boxart, they would still find the button since there was nowhere else to go but back. Also Mario wasn’t supposed to be here, it was originally another Toad. Having been beaten and thrown into the caves to rot. Like a lot of characters in the franchise, he would’ve given you the Starcoin and then die. But I didn’t feel particularly edgy so I switched that up after the room cut happened. I did give the goombas little hardhats. It’s the little touches. The water part of the caves is a leftover from then there was a room connected to this. It was supposed to pump water into the second part of the furnace.

By now we’re close to the end. Not having all too much time left, even the furnace changed considerably a few times. I once just nuked the entire section and remade everything from scratch. I also made it a lot easier than previous parts. I felt like giving the player another hard challenge may be too much. After the Bowser fight there was originally an escape sequence.
When the elevator stops at the end, both doors open. That wasn’t an oversight. You were supposed to blow a hole (via an offscreen sequence. I can’t code at all and cutscenes looked too hard for how little time I had left. So you would’ve just jumped on a trigger and heard a kaboom) there and escape through a section that was a sort of medley of every previous section as well as lots of water. Bowser originally also was supposed to be fought in a mech. But again, no idea how to code and using moving layers created more issues with Snake than I wanted to have in a level. So I just cut all of that in one swoop and made a more traditional SMB3 boss fight. After that there’s just the credits left.

All in all this level started as a way to create a level for a character I was rather passionate about, as well as a little challenge for myself. I do like the idea of Snake in SMBX. I just hope that if he gets a rework, it will include crawling and maybe more mobility. He is very stiff. I know he is based off of Link. But I just hope that there is going to be a Snake one day that is fun to make levels for. I had tons of fun and learned a lot in this contest. 2 months was also a lot of time. But with how often I cut things and spent time on stuff that wasn’t really important I wasted a lot of time and ended up with too little to flesh out the ending. This definitely taught me to make a better plan of what to include in the level from the get go, instead of not planning all too much and just going at it only to realize it got too ambitious.
I know Snake isn’t a good character to make a level for. I expected my level to do way way worse. Somewhere from 42 to 40 was my expectation. So from everyone who tried this level, I’m the most surprised it got the place it did. Trust me on this one. Thanks to the judges for trying the level! And sorry for any mistakes. I’m not a native english speaker.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Chocolate Contest X1 - WE HAVE A WINNER

Postby ShadowStarX » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:54 pm

You expected 7 placements to be posted, but it was I, DIO all remaining results!

10. Arrow Ridge (Core) - 78/100
Enjl - 21/14/26/15/5 - 81/100
This level has a lovely concept that really highlights the power of inspiration. While the level is clearly a nod to Celeste, Chapter 4 in particular, it reimagins one of the chapter's mechanics in a way in which it makes sense for Mario to traverse the area. There are some clever modifications, twists and ideas here that I really enjoyed, and I think my biggest criticism is that the level feels a bit imbalanced in how it presents its ideas. The beginning is very slow in introducing new things, and once the leaf platforms come in things go fairly rapid-fire, to the point where those and the springs feel somewhat underrepresented. I think using leaf blocks as obstacles to remove to let arrow platforms pass would've been a fairly simple interaction that I bet the designer reading this is facepalming over not thinking about as they read this :p
Aside from that, the level is truly gorgeous. The shifts in background and the wisp particles are nice touches that I really enjoy, though I wish the music wasn't as quiet since I can hardly hear it over the sound effects. Unfortunately, with the addition of cool lua concepts the level also introduces a couple of rough patches such as lua crashes, momentum jank and... strangely enough, a lag when jumping on the first regular-speed arrow platform. I'll have to dock bit for that, unfortunately. Overall it's very beautiful, though I wish it was balanced a little more evenly in its scaling. Keep it up!

8luestorm - 24/15/18/15/10 - 82/100
Golden Ridge, is that you? I really like the Celeste vibes on this level, the aesthetics are surely pretty, and the relaxing music really alleviates the difficult setups. The concepts are wonderfully coded and executed, I'd just be wary of some difficulty spikes here and there, especially with the fast arrow blocks, and I also wish the brittle leaves concept made more of an appearance, they felt more like an afterthought than an actual active mechanic. I like what you did with the checkpoints in the last section, providing a species of reset in case you die, but I'd rather have a quick-reset type of thing, instead of having to wait for the player to die and try again.

ShadowStarX - 17/14/23/13/4 - 71/100
Somebody likes Celeste I see. The level is surely creative and the implementation of ideas is done well, such as escalating the challenge or mixing the gimmicks. However the level has a few issues, primarily the fact that it's quite janky, to say the least. Downwards-arrow platforms for instance can make you not execute a jump successfully, this could potentially be fixed with coyotetime.lua. The momentum is also really weird to get used to (especially with the fast-slam platforms) and the fact that the arrow platforms do not respawn (contrary to the original game) makes the player's experience less enjoyable due to a somewhat Trial & Error experience. SetaYoshi's binoculars for instance would probably have benefited the level to make planning ahead a possibility and thus reduce or eliminate the Trial & Error aspects of the level. Finally, the checkpointing is incosistent: throughout most of the level it's pretty fair or perhaps a bit scarcer than it should have been but in the final section they are so close to each other that damage boosting becomes a viable strategy which makes the final stretch a bit less satisfying. I would've personally made the checkpoints not give the player a powerup (it's possible to do that via lua and I think you'd be able to manage that) but make the sections between the checkpoints (excluding the final room) a bit shorter. The bottom of the final section also makes it p. easy for the player to run straight into the pit as the door is on the very edge of a floating island, meaning they would have to restart from the final "big" checkpoint. Said checkpoint also gives me an error message for some reason though. (that isn't the only reason for a lowered Functionality score though, the general janky nature is responsible for that)
Overall, the level is innovative but has problematic physics for the arrow platforms and flaws mentioned above.
9. Alpine Incline (Shinbison-Kof) - 78.7/100
Enjl - 30/15/30/11/7 - 93/100
Very cool level! There are lots of creative ideas here that interweave beautifully between one another, with visuals backing the experience up. In terms of structure and creativity, I don't have anything beside praise to give, though I wanna touch on a couple of things that bothered me in terms of aesthetics and jank. Aesthetically, the level is very beautiful. I take an issue with just a few things: the checkmark sprite (doesn't look like it can hurt you) the inconsistent placement of wind lineguides (sometimes hard to gauge the path, too) and the inconsistent ambience (rain disappearing, laggy wind effect that disappears immediately after). They're instances of thematic ambition backfiring, which is unfortunate to see, but can cause a bit of trouble for players (certainly has for me). In terms of jank: Ropes and bumpers. The ropes ought to be grabbable much further up, and bumper momentum jank that... is very unfortunate and can cause a lot of problems during gameplay. Aside from those issues, very good level. Big like!

8luestorm - 27/15/25/12.5/9.5 - 89/100
There's sort of a paradox with the level design in this one: while the first section overwhelmingly throws at me around 6 different concepts, for the rest of the level, most of them just... vanish. Weren't you so excited at jamming so many things in one section? Well, where did the Spinies, the Generated Balloon Platforms, the Moving Balloons and the Bunbuns go? I rarely saw most of them throughout the rest of the level, because you introduced a new concept in that marvelous intermission and decided to stick with it and other stuff you added along the way. I'm glad that the overflowing stopped, but I wish that the concepts you had were exercised better in the level. Speaking of structure, I wish you had included a non-deadly introduction for the chain balloons; the chains are buggy and it isn't always obvious the path that the balloons will take. The overall idea is fabulous, though. The aesthetics are phenomenal, I must say. There are a few slip-ups such as the awkward movement of the balloons in the background and the fact that the background stays still during the Section 2 cutscene, but I like the visuals, the music and the balloon popping sfx gives the level more life. Speaking of aesthetic synergy, what's up with the checkmarks later in the level? They don't look like they can hurt me or that they can be stomped, yet, both of these things happen; why? Lastly, the ending was a bit out of place, but it was a neat wrap-up.

ShadowStarX - 15/12/14/8/5 - 54/100
This level had concepts such as the bouncy platforms, the balloon ropes or the checkmarks in bubble balloons. However, they weren't really introduced in a safe environment, even though they could have been. (remember, in a standalone level, it's viewed as its own experience and not part of an episode, so you cannot rely on an earlier level's introduction to a gimmick) The mechanics in the level were also quite janky and could easily throw the player off, especially for the first time. If you climb to the top of the balloon ropes for instance, you drop off. The bouncy propeller platforms are also really unpredictable if there are multiple of them put right next to each other, both when interacting with the player and when interacting with enemies, namely spinies. Said bouncing platforms also act weird when put on a moving layer but that's more related to the engine than the design. The first checkpoint is also way too far away from the start as the section before it is a room where the bouncy propeller platform is introduced. (and not in a safe environment) It's also hard to tell that the checkmarks in bubble balloons hurt the player. Speaking of which, it can be somewhat hard to see the content of said bubble balloons.
Overall, the level surely has creative ideas and it has a nice atmosphere but it's janky and things are not introduced properly.
8. Conveyor Chaos (andregemeo23) - 79/100
Enjl - 25/12/22/12/10 - 81/100
This is a pretty rad level! There's a lot of nifty ideas with the conveyor platforms that evolve fairly well. While it feels a tad shallow in its execution at times, particularly near the end, the gameplay was overall very fun. Visually, this level has a pretty nice aesthetic. There are some warning texts that I... loathe because they feel like they could've been more elegantly solved with different animation speeds of the conveyors, coupled with different colour tints (like the grinders present in the level also have). The unreachable Dragon Coin seems like an odd oversight that may indicate a bit of rushing going on, which is a shame if true. Overall very good job. Aside from these nitpicks there isn't really much that i can directly point out. I think the next step for my liking would be introducing more than grinders and conveyors (and Flying Spiny in like 2 setups) to evolve the concept further. Well done!

8luestorm - 20/14/22/14/10 - 80/100
Even though the rainbows don't look very... round, as they usually are, I find the background very appealing, as well as the aesthetics in general; the music did a great job on setting up the atmosphere (get it?) as well. The concept is a really neat idea, especially with what you've combined it with, but, as the level went on, it became less and less manageable, and, along with it, there were repetitive setups and ones that required waiting. I do like, however, how the difficulty slowly and slyly rises as the first section progresses: that's a job well done.

ShadowStarX - 22/13/20/13/8 - 76/100
This is some joyful stuff. I love how you used stationary conveyor belts and then made them move around on tracks. I also appreciate how you utilized grinders and spike balls to spice things up. The gimmick was decently developed, albeit the second half had its shortcomings: sometimes you had to learn how to cope with a gimmick without a safety net. If the level was designed around 2 checkpoints (and had 2 checkpoints, naturally), the gimmick could have been explored more thoroughly and the development of ideas wouldn't feel that compact. The conveyor momentum can also be a tad bit weird in some cases, potentially throwing the player off. And albeit I found the core idea of the level cool, some of the setups felt a bit too slow paced, primarily in the second section as it functions like a semi-autoscroller... (the setups are neat enough to make it fun though)
A nice little experience that stands its ground and is certainly not forgettable gameplay-wise nor aesthetically.
7. Gastropods Normally Like Wet Places But This Mineshaft Is Dry and Musty As Heck (TLtimelord) - 79.3/100
Enjl - 24/14/28/14/10 - 90/100
This level is very clever, very experimental. But also very unforgiving. I enjoyed playing through it a lot, but given the nature of its very "okay, good job, here's the next section" setup, I wish the decision to use powerup filters was either followed through with at every checkpoint, or abandoned and substituted for a free powerup at every checkpoint. As it stands it feels a bit inconsistent, with the first section being the most difficult because no aid is given to the player. Checkpointing overall is well done, and the length is also very good. Every section presents a new idea, and while some may be a bit fiddly to work with due to the frequently cramped corridors, the experience as a whole is pleasant and engaging. I enjoyed it a lot, though I wished it had a bit more of a bombastic ending...

8luestorm - 19/15/23/15/10 - 82/100
Why is this level so hard? It doesn't forgive, not even in the very first setups: one mistake and the consequence is tasteless death. It takes a while until the first checkpoint and a lot of tight one-shot setups take place in this interval. The gimmicks and setups are very interesting and creative, not gonna lie, but could you just give the player some room for mistake? I also wish that in the fifth section it was clearer that I should take the snailicorn downwards, because if I don't (which I didn't), my only option was, you guessed it: tasteless death. The mineshaft aesthetic and the song are pretty and very fitting for the theme and the gimmicks.

ShadowStarX - 15/12/22/9/8 - 66/100
Well, I am normally not fond of levels with narrow tunnels, but this one was neat, even if a little frustrating at times. I like how you mixed Gastropods and Slime Blocks, they really mixed together well for some cool setups but a huge byproduct of that is deathtraps. (basically situations which don't immediately hurt you but you cannot escape it without dying or at least getting hurt) Some obstacles, primarily in the penultimate section, were quite unforgiving, but the checkpointing helped in avoiding massive frustration. My biggest issue with the level is the slow pace and the fact that getting things consistently is oddly difficult, so getting through the level sooner or later is easily possible but it's not easy to get everything consistent...
Overall, this is a clever level but a bit on the frustrating side due to the semi-precise obstacles.
6. Camouflage to Freedom (AndrewPixel) - 79.7/100
Enjl - 17/14/14/15/10 - 70/100
Man, what a cute idea! Awesome setting, pretty good structure and a hilarious payoff. Though if I were to point out one problem I have with the level, it would be the main idea - The Goomba Mask. The problem, I find, is that the level isn't designed around making you feel stealthy in the mask, but that the mask inadvertently makes the level more boring by reducing the already slim amount of unique obstacles even further, which is incredibly unfortunate! I wish I could play the level without the mask for a more difficult challenge, but when the level puts me on a 10 second timer while not wearing one (something I only encountered when replaying without the mask because of how easy the mask makes the level), I don't even think that can be accomplished! Overall, a very charming level that I would love to enjoy more.

8luestorm - 24/13/23/15/10 - 85/100
Oh, this level was a blast. Heheh. The concept of the mask is pretty interesting, although it doesn't make much of a difference in the first half if you're pretty skilled; the level dodges that bullet by making the player forcefully rush their way through the second half, well played. There was a lot of waiting with the TNT blocks, though, especially in the second half, where the playthrough is supposed to be fast-paced; I wish something were there to keep the player busy while they waited. I liked the aesthetics and how they made me really feel like it was a tortuous dungeon, the fast-paced music at the second half was also a cool touch, and the midpoint and ending dialogs were hilarious.

ShadowStarX - 24/13/27/12/8 - 84/100
I'm digging the concept of this level. It's simple but so much could be done with it, which is clearly a positive. The concept was developed throughout the level well and the final section's twist was the correct way to end the level. Besides that, TNT blocks were utilized in a fun and creative way that complements the Goomba Mask gimmick. I also found the dialogue at the very end really fun too. The Star Coins were also placed appropriately and they benefited the level for sure. The level may lag on some computers though, even if mine isn't one of them. Another problem that was easy to notice is that the light around the player is too small and/or the darkness could have been a bit less dark.
This is a fun and super-creative level with proper development of its gimmick and also sufficient leeway.
5. Hydro Highway (cold soup) - 81.7/100
Enjl - 27/10/24/14/10 - 85/100
Found the megaman player! Pretty sick stuff overall. I don't have many complaints about what's there, as it's generally all well done. So prepare to enter the territory of things I wished to see. I think a visual firing indicator on all generators would've helped a lot in gauging when a new platform becomes available. Such an addition would also make it easier for you to construct more complicated setups around the idea, as guessing the next platform's timing is removed from the equation. That leads directly into my second wish - more courage when designing! The level overall is fairly safe, with barely any uptick in difficulty and no "final gauntlet" at all. I think more dancing around laser barriers and having to deal with turning certain water supplies on and off would've been very cool and thematically appropriate. I think there's a lot of potential here, and overall the level is very solid.

8luestorm - 22/14/22/12/10 - 80/100
It's a pretty level! The aesthetics are decent, but their relationship with objects's functionalities is pretty thin at times, for example, why would I step on something that looks like Ludwig's Fireball? I thought that it would be a projectile of some sort, but it turns out it doesn't really hurt, in fact, you can even step on it, same thing with the bubble, but the bubble doesn't offer that bad of an issue. While on the platforms, the fact that they don't freeze when the player gets hurt is something that negatively impacts gameplay.
The evolution of the concepts is very clean and well-done, even though I had expected a better climax for the ending, as in something that really put my playthrough to the test. Aside from that, the Star Coins are what trouble me: you can't see the first one before the jump, you can't see the second one unless you're very lucky (and the level won't even let you go back to that section to investigate), and, while the idea of a lucky bonus room is very creative, the way it's implemented allows the player to cheat it to go back and get the other prizes, whoops!

ShadowStarX - 24/12/24/11/9 - 80/100
Oh this is cool. I like how you have to hop on those waterflames and bubbles. The ideas are developed throughout the level pretty well, they escalate correctly and are used in variety. They don't look friendly though as the player can easily think their side or bottom is hurtful, at least that happened to me. I found the difficulty curve a bit... gentle though. I don't see too much escalation of the concepts used in the level, even though you could've gone a bit wilder. You could've had multiple setups combining the bubbles and the waterflames, and you could've also put a spin on them.. Maybe utilizing Player-Passthrough Blocks to make the projectiles pop sooner? Regarding the Star Coins, they improved the experience as they are fairly hidden but far from cryptic and they are also related to the core gimmicks without any of them being similar to the other.
To sum it all up, just try to have wilder setups, and your levels will turn out even better.
4. Guys, I'm pretty sure that's not how you play baseball (Sancles-chan) - 87/100
Enjl - 23/15/27/8/10 - 84/100
Chaotic yumpcore level design? Sure, let's go! Very fun overall, albeit a tad ruthless... most of the time. With such high projectile speeds, tanking a hit often seems like the only option available, which can feel a bit unfair. The boss fight against Flandre Boomchuck further follows this trend. But man, pulling the setups off properly feels pretty exhilerating. I think with more testing and fine-tuning, these issues could easily be ironed out. Overall though very fun, albeit not for everyone.

8luestorm - 22/15/29/14/10 - 90/100
Now that's the most extreme baseball I've seen in a while! It takes a little while to get used to the frenetic throwing, but once you do, the level becomes a very fun challenge! The setups are very clever, the aesthetics has its charm, but I just think that some setups shouldn't be just "jump and pray", such as the ones that include projectile pipes. And also, I feel like the danmaku should be eased off from the later on phases of the boss, it becomes nearly impossible to avoid that swarm of deadly stuffed leather.

ShadowStarX - 23/15/30/9/10 - 87/100
Am I judging MaGLX2 or something?! Jokes aside, this is a p. neat level I really like the ideas utilized and also how thoroughly they are explored. I also think there is proper checkpointing, sufficient variety and so on. However, some obstacles are way too hard to react to in time and can catch the player off-guard, like the moving mushroom sizable starting to move, albeit that only happens if you stay on the very left edge of that. Some Chucks are also really hard to avoid when you encounter it tfor the first time. The coolest thing about the level is the boss though, which has the perfect length and I like how the fight evolves in the way it does, albeit the final phase is a bit hard to get consistent. It's also appreciated that you can outsmart the boss somewhat without cheesing it. (as in if you jump on the boss near a wall, you have less projectiles to deal with than if you do so in the center)
So even though the level has fairness issues, it's a blast to play through and the boss is a really good payoff. I also like how outlandish the design and the name are, the level is certainly unique and memorable.
3. Fuzzy Frenzy (PROX) - 87.3/100
Enjl - 26/12/30/13/10 - 91/100
I find it difficult to look at this level without drawing parallels to Field of Arithmetic (FoA), be it in tileset use, general structure or range of creative ideas. They exhibit similar strengths and weaknesses, but I think this level is what FoA tried to be, doubling-down on the strengths and migitating the weaknesses. The setups are much more condensed, and while there is still a lot of repitition with a handful of basic lineguide patterns being repeated throughout the level, the addition of the moving platform alone helps a lot in breaking up the level's pacing. This is probably one of the most Mario-like levels in the contest, which in itself is a pretty spectacular feat. Overall while it feels like it was just pulled out someone's episode's World 2 section, I enjoyed it a lot as a standalone experience. If my hunch about the episode is correct and all levels in the episode are like this, I'm very much looking forward to playing the entire thing. Well done!

8luestorm - 23/15/23/15/10 - 86/100
I really like how the evolution of a single group of concepts is very apparent in this level, the setups getting more and more complex with the flow of the level is something easily noticed, but not always easily done; Bravo! There was a good use of breathing room and all the player needed to know was always visible to them and the climax in the end is very satisfying. My main complaint about structure is the fact that the level repeats some setups and that the ON/OFF Switches could be implemented in less... tight introductory setups; I don't mind going all-out in the climax, just require less precision when hitting the switches, especially when the punishment in the first setup they appear in is death.

ShadowStarX - 25/13/24/13/10 - 85/100
Now this is what I call a fun grass (I know it's wood and athletic, but whatever) level. The level has a core idea which is expanded upon and everything is complementing it in a beneficial way. I love the way you first started out with simple platforms and fuzzies, then you made variations to the lineguides' shapes, introduced big fuzzies, utilized On-Off switches that affected lineguides and so on. I also liked your Star Coin placement, they were easy to notice but not necessarily trivial to get.The pacing was spot-on too for most of the part but I have a gripe regarding that: things could have been introduced in a safer manner, as even the level start has fuzzies above pits. Besides that though, I couldn't really find anything else to complain about though.
To sum it up, this is a fun level that will probably give most people quite a good time thanks to the cohesion and creativity regarding fuzzies.
2. Tarnished Tunnel (Cloth pocket) - 88.3/100
Enjl - 26/11/27/15/10 - 89/100
Oh, what a neat experience. I like the puzzly elements you discovered with the rippers. This level feels a lot like its intended experience is one of simply discovering all the puzzle solutions, so it feels a bit weird that it doesn't provide powerups and puts the player at risk of clipping an enemy and having to repeat some level. This feeling is amplified by the level generally being fairly slow to play through, so I wish the dread of having to replay was migitated a little (and maybe for the level to have a bit more content). Visually the level is beautiful, nice job.

8luestorm - 21/15/27/15/10 - 88/100
The atmosphere in this level was just sumptuous, the fog, the dark cove tileset and song... it was magnificent. The gimmick is also very creative and well executed; that being said, I wish the checkpoint and reset-doors were managed just a bit better: if you die before the checkpoint, which, to be honest, isn't very hard, you have to replay the whole slow tutorial-y setup again, and that's not very fun. Also, I felt there lacked a tad of indication of where and whether you should bring the Ripper in the second half, it cost me plenty of resets.

ShadowStarX - 23/14/27/14/10 - 88/100
Hm this is some clever stuff here. I like how the giant blocks were used as timed gates and I also found the usage of Rippers really neat. My main gripe with the first half though is the backtracking. There isn't too much of it and I like how you shift the giant blocks with it but it just puts dirt on the pacing. The second half though is amazing: I love how you had to use the giant blocks to shift the Rippers' path to proceed. The obstacles were pretty challenging but there was also sufficient room for error, especially with the restart doors.
Overall, this was semi-puzzling and fun experience which had an astonishingly creative second half and my only complaint is the bit of backtracking in the first half.
1. Maddening Macrocosm (Fuyu) - 88.8/100
Enjl - 20/15/28/11/10 - 84/100
Generally, a hallmark of a good long level is that you don't even notice how long it is, with progression feeling natural and, well, there being a sense of progression. I feel like unfortunately, in this level, the only sense of progression the player gets is the brutally honest star coin counter. With every section being rather long and difficult by themselves, the lack of significant progress can feel tiresome at times. That said, what this level puts forth is pretty dang cool. There are several areas which I think fell victim to a lack of testing and ended up unnaturally tight, and as a side-effect of the level's length (or maybe as the catalyst thereof) it feels like things progress very slowly in each section. I dunno, I just wish this level "got to the point" faster, you know? I also wish the tileset animation didn't tire my eyes out to the point where I had to take a break afterwards... Don't take my comments here as me hating the level's concepts or the way they're used. The gameplay has incredible potential, and the ideas put forth are very nice. It's just incredibly draining, and the way it's put together doesn't do it for me at all. If the level was half its length, I would have have had a positive experience with it, and perhaps even a great one. The reward for all 10 star coins is nice, though :p

8luestorm - 25/15/25/14.5/10 - 89.5/100
Quite... Maddening, indeed. Has spectacular music, a little distracting visuals, and the coloring of the different platforms is on-point: all visual impairments can receive the message that those two (main) types of platforms differ. Aside from that, the concepts are amazing, even if, well, maddening, at times; however, I feel like the level dragged out for waaay tooo long, especially if you're going for the Star Coins, and even hadsome repetitive setups scattered here and there.

ShadowStarX - 25/15/30/14/9 - 93/100
This took a while... More than a while... But it was worth it as the level had its ideas to keep itself interesting from start to finish. The ideas were introduced, developed and combined nigh-perfectly and they were all pretty cool ideas. They required the player to think ahead but within a reasonable scope, as you always had enough time to react to everything, but that doesn't mean the obstacles were easy. Some of the sections were pretty challenging and thus, satisfying to beat. The aesthetics and the gimmicks are also pretty fitting to each other, I appreciated the abstract theme of the level. However, even though this level was interesting throughout its entirety, it still felt really long and when I realized there were 10 Star Coins, I was utterly shocked... Speaking of which though, the Star Coins were placed in pretty clever spots and thank you for not using obscurely hidden spots for the Star Conis but visible puzzles or just additional challenges.
A memorable experience for good reasons, even if a bit too long.

Congratulations to Fuyu for winning the contest!
Huge thanks to everybody who participated and we hope you've all had fun!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: Chocolate Contest X1 (Rules and Discussion) [ALL RESULTS] (We have a winner!)

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 pm

I should point out my prediction for top five was right, did not expect GIPSTNHYPBB would get 4th however.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Chocolate Contest X1 - WE HAVE A WINNER

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Omg, I got 2 high score and 1 low score.. it's funny! Congratulations everyone, and congratulations the top 3! Nice contest. :)

fun fact - me and my twin brother (andregemeo) almost got the same placement.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:55 pm

3rd place! I will gladly take that. Also that fuzzy at the beginning of the level is still relatively safe since you see it coming a mile away, but I can see what you mean. I also find Enjl's review of my level hilarious in regard to drawing parallels to Field of Arithmetic since I made both tilesets used in those levels.
Last edited by PROX on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Kind of crazy seeing the judges say how unforgiving my level was. Honestly this level is like twice the skill level that I have on any other smbx level. It really does show how radical designer's bias can be.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Congrats to all who took part!

Fun fact, I was actually going to be a judge for this (hence my name being in the OP), but due to time constraints I never really found the time to work on the reviews. Lots of good content! See you in the next one.

cold soup
Rex
Rex
Flair: yeah
Pronouns: he/him

Postby cold soup » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:55 pm

i'm both surprised and proud my level got 5th place! a big thank you to the judges for their kind words and good criticisms, i'll be sure to take them into consideration when i'm working on levels in the future!

Cloth Pocket
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Cloth Pocket » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:20 pm

It's nice to get some feedback on my level, I do agree that maybe not having any power ups was a bit unfair, I wanted to add a health system but didn't have the time or ability to do so unfortunately. Either way, I am very very pleased with second place, so thank you for that! :)

Also well done to everyone else, and Fuyu for winning! Very good levels.

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Eejit
Pronouns: it/he/they

Postby computerfan0 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I'll admit the reason my level was so short was because... I was scared of the background breaking. Yes, seriously.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Episode is coming along Nicely.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:11 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:45 pm
I'll admit the reason my level was so short was because... I was scared of the background breaking. Yes, seriously.
If that's the case, try using a different background that is less prone to breaking or, if it's breaking due to replacing a vanilla background, try using a different ID for it.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:57 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:11 am
computerfan0 wrote:
If that's the case, try using a different background that is less prone to breaking or, if it's breaking due to replacing a vanilla background, try using a different ID for it.
I feel like that advice is the advice to follow only after trying to simply make the background wider/taller and seeing if it breaks. Resizing a section is easy, after all.

Rule of thumb for the future: Backgrounds don't break.

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:57 am
Taycamgame wrote:
computerfan0 wrote:
I feel like that advice is the advice to follow only after trying to simply make the background wider/taller and seeing if it breaks. Resizing a section is easy, after all.

I remember a time when I was developing Fight Against Goomba and the background broke. Backgrounds do indeed break.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 am
Enjl wrote:
Taycamgame wrote:

I remember a time when I was developing Fight Against Goomba and the background broke. Backgrounds do indeed break.
Which background under which circumstances on which version of SMBX?

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am
computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 am
Enjl wrote:

Which background under which circumstances on which version of SMBX?
I've forgotten which background, but the level is not exactly big and I was using 1.3.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:50 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 am

I've forgotten which background, but the level is not exactly big and I was using 1.3.
As of Beta 4, all backgrounds are now using a different rendering system (paralx2), which makes them more robust in some circumstances.

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:51 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:50 am
computerfan0 wrote:

As of Beta 4, all backgrounds are now using a different rendering system (paralx2), which makes them more robust in some circumstances.
Is there any particular backgrounds that still break? Will they all break in a level above a certain size?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:56 am

computerfan0 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:51 am
Enjl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:50 am
computerfan0 wrote:

Is there any particular backgrounds that still break? Will they all break in a level above a certain size?
The SMB3 Ship background can still result in a black void when going vertically too far, but this is no longer possible in other backgrounds (I just tested a couple common culprits like SMB3 Hills and SMB3 Dungeon).
Generally speaking, SMW backgrounds are the safest. All of them are sized to expand infinitely with the section if need be, and even have been in 1.3. They're always my go-to for custom backgrounds because of that, even though it doesn't really matter anymore these days. Old habits die hard. You used SMW Forest, so there was never any risk of it resulting in some kind of void scenario.

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Return to “Level Contests”