Magical Malice Castle

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Magical Malice Castle

Postby Chad » Wed May 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Yup, I'm doing this too. Again.

This level scored 2nd place in CC7 with an overall score of 8.9075/10. The level is a mystical castle enhanced by Magikoopa magic (or at least, that's supposed to be the idea) that features Magikoopas, disappearing blocks, possessed scenery, lots of moving layers, and a unique but straightforward boss. There's only one star which is given after beating the boss, and the length is about average for one of my levels.

I was actually going to make something like this for a contest last fall, but inspiration died and I scrapped it halfway through because I didn't like what I had. It's nice to be able to finish something after having restarted its design completely, especially since it's been sitting in my mind for nearly a year.

Hope you enjoy it!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Download here! A credit file is included.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Magical Malice Castle

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Wed May 14, 2014 4:45 pm

WOW, This level is really amazing, I love each details, layes and events, graphics, and gimmicks is unique! I really thought of you used the "Luna", but no. This level has a good size. I do not have no complaint. good work :)

Beyond
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Beyond » Wed May 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Fantastic level. I loved that, personally. The background, gimmicks, graphics, atmosphere. I don't liked the music (personal opinion), but it is good for the mysterious atmosphere. And with a difficulty not exaggerated, but with some tricky passages. Good work.

Cacazk
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Cacazk » Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 pm

In my opinion, this level would be the winner! (This level gives ma a little afraid :3)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 am

Here is my Playthrough:

Original YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q190pvemmI

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu May 15, 2014 12:43 am

I've started to play it, but I'm getting dizzy. The background and the moving layers are way out of sync. The background is choppy but the layers are not.
Also why do the Kameks not face you but the magic follows you? And why are they vulnerable to fire but not ice? And there's like a shield in front of them - it absorbs fireballs and iceballs.
I like the reappearing floors.
Also I suggest jumphurt=0 on the light boos.
I like how short it is!
It's pretty clever how the rotating spikes don't give you score.
Same background dizzy applies to the boss background.
Red Kamek has an awesome sprite, but his death effect looks really faked. Sure he would be teleporting for the other hits, but why does he go to the center of the room?
The bomb effect needs to be recolored.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Thu May 15, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks for your comments, FanofSMBX! And nice playthrough, bossedit!
FanofSMBX wrote:I've started to play it, but I'm getting dizzy. The background and the moving layers are way out of sync. The background is choppy but the layers are not.
Sorry about the visual problems. I didn't want to remove the background, as it would kill much of the atmosphere. I tried darkening it, but that made it nearly invisible. It wasn't supposed to specifically match the moving layers, though.
FanofSMBX wrote:Also why do the Kameks not face you but the magic follows you? And why are they vulnerable to fire but not ice? And there's like a shield in front of them - it absorbs fireballs and iceballs.
The answer to all of these involves the magic being made of Rinkas. If the Magikoopas turned to face you, the magic would keep appearing behind them instead of in front, which would look even worse. If the Magikoopas could be frozen, the magic would still generate. The fireballs and iceballs get blocked by the magic, too. I didn't want it to be that easy to destroy.
FanofSMBX wrote:I like the reappearing floors.
FanofSMBX wrote:I like how short it is!
It's pretty clever how the rotating spikes don't give you score.
Thank you! Length is something I've been meaning to work on, as I acknowledge that my levels can be a little insane. Score=0 felt perfect for the spikes, especially since the life counter would affect other levels in the contest.
FanofSMBX wrote:Also I suggest jumphurt=0 on the light boos.
Good idea, although don't think the player would expect to jump safely on a Boo without some indication.
FanofSMBX wrote:Red Kamek has an awesome sprite, but his death effect looks really faked. Sure he would be teleporting for the other hits, but why does he go to the center of the room?
I guess I could have attached the death effect's layer to his final hit. Good point on that.
FanofSMBX wrote:The bomb effect needs to be recolored.
I could, but I don't think it'd make enough of a difference to really matter.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 am

Oh, I don't mean to remove the background, just make it less choppy.

ssumday
Bit
Bit
Flair: Nope

Postby ssumday » Thu May 15, 2014 8:22 am

Wow, this level is phenomenal. Graphics, design and gimmicks are very cool. I have no words. Good work!

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm

What I liked

Good use of moving layers and effects. Looks like you put a lot of effort into making this level. I really like the multicolored tilesets and the enemy graphics. The atmosphere was well done. I liked the way you styled the level generally and the music was fitting.

The boss was great too.

What I didn't like

The Magikoopa should replace Birdo in my opinion. It's weird how the magic bolts are stagnant for a while before attacking the player. I also disliked the large amount of enemies in some areas; they weren't needed as I think this level's enjoyable because of its clever puzzles and design. I also think the animated background is derutating. The chasing lamp makes little sense; you could have just used boos instead or chasing fire enemies. There's just too much going on for the player to stay focused.

Other than that, good level. I'll give it a 8/10.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I don't think Birdo would be a good fit for Magikoopa, as the sounds and miniboss health would be odd. I might as well use a Snifit in that case, although the behavior would be better otherwise. I could have the magic replace something else, but not much else would aim for the player. I understand your other points, though. Thanks for playing it and giving it your thoughts.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sat May 17, 2014 5:56 am

Why is this in pretty good? It placed second afterall... Imo top 5 should all be n The Best since they are the best out of the contest

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat May 17, 2014 5:59 am

GrätselBüchner wrote:Why is this in pretty good? It placed second afterall... Imo top 5 should all be n The Best since they are the best out of the contest
Yeah I agree. Instead of using the score of the level, they should post the one of the judge's review.

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 am

Sorry for the bump.
Holy shit this level was awsome! I still don't know how this got 2nd instead of 1st. I mean, this level deserved the 1st place.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:31 am

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:Sorry for the bump.
Holy shit this level was awsome! I still don't know how this got 2nd instead of 1st. I mean, this level deserved the 1st place.
Please be a bit more constructive then that.

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 pm

I love the aesthetics in this level, the magikoopas could be better though, and the music is kinda unfitting for this level as well, but still a cool level.

Blaze Moonspear

Postby Blaze Moonspear » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 pm

I went to download this and an ad said things:

"Mmm, full roasted fl-mmm, full roas-mmm, full r-mmm, ful-mmm..." etc. I think there may be a bit of an issue with that ad.

As for the level:

Not bad. The level design was great, you really seemed to think it through. I might have to use some of these gimmicks in ghost houses and the ztar palace in my game, they'd really work well. Also, what NPC was that magikoopa boss? It seemed kind of like a lakitu, but it took multiple hits, so...
Last edited by Blaze Moonspear on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 am

@Blaze Moonspear: The fact that it took multiple hits is powered by layers and events.

Blaze Moonspear

Postby Blaze Moonspear » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Ludwig von Koopa wrote:@Blaze Moonspear: The fact that it took multiple hits is powered by layers and events.
Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Dr Luigi
Rex
Rex

Postby Dr Luigi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Best level ever. that's all I could say! :)

Return to “The Best”