General Help and Quick Questions

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: he/him

Re: General Help and Quick Questions

Postby Sandomer » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:02 am

how to make boss drop something? or make boss that wont after killing him go to map instead of credits?

Draco_Flare
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Draco_Flare » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 pm

Hey, I been wanting to make a smbx world but I haven't able to make the levels work on the world and do not know how to make the end credits.
Last edited by Draco_Flare on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okton3999
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Okton3999 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am

yoorest2 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:02 am
how to make boss drop something? or make boss that wont after killing him go to map instead of credits?
In SMBX 1.3.0.1: if you want that the boss drops a hazard, you can make a layer with a generator of that hazard and make the boss attached to that layer (select the NPC that is the boss, go to "Events" and choose the layer in "Attach to Layer").

If you want that the boss drops something that ends the level: if the boss is a Birdo or a Boom Boom, you can activate the "Legacy Boss", that can be found in the "Advanced" section. If that is not the case (or if you prefer using this way), you have to create a layer with the NPC that ends the level and make an event that shows this layer. After creating these things, go to the NPC that is the boss, click on "Events" and choose the event in "Death".

This video can be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTjHSk-8WQ.
Draco_Flare wrote: Hey, I been wanting to make a smbx world but I haven't able to make the levels work on the world and do not know how to make the end credits.
In SMBX 1.3.0.1, before placing a level in the World editor, you have to write the name that the archive of the level has in "Level Filename". The Credits can be changed in "Settings".

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Tue May 10, 2022 8:41 am

Okton3999 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:13 am
yoorest2 wrote:
In SMBX 1.3.0.1: if you want that the boss drops a hazard, you can make a layer with a generator of that hazard and make the boss attached to that layer (select the NPC that is the boss, go to "Events" and choose the layer in "Attach to Layer").

If you want that the boss drops something that ends the level: if the boss is a Birdo or a Boom Boom, you can activate the "Legacy Boss", that can be found in the "Advanced" section. If that is not the case (or if you prefer using this way), you have to create a layer with the NPC that ends the level and make an event that shows this layer. After creating these things, go to the NPC that is the boss, click on "Events" and choose the event in "Death".

This video can be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTjHSk-8WQ.
Draco_Flare wrote: Hey, I been wanting to make a smbx world but I haven't able to make the levels work on the world and do not know how to make the end credits.
In SMBX 1.3.0.1, before placing a level in the World editor, you have to write the name that the archive of the level has in "Level Filename". The Credits can be changed in "Settings".
but i'm on smbx 2.0

Okton3999
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Okton3999 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 pm

yoorest2 wrote:
but i'm on smbx 2.0
I don't know if it helps, but, from what I read in the SMBX2 b4 Handbook, you can still use Events and Layers to make a boss drop something :).

"Open the “Layers” and “Events” windows respectively. Together, these can be used to create moving layers and toggle layer visibility. Events can further be used to play sound effects, lock player input, manipulate the section and even execute lua code (using LunaLua’s onEvent event)".

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=25425

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Wed May 11, 2022 12:25 pm

Okton3999 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 pm
yoorest2 wrote:
but i'm on smbx 2.0
I don't know if it helps, but, from what I read in the SMBX2 b4 Handbook, you can still use Events and Layers to make a boss drop something :).

"Open the “Layers” and “Events” windows respectively. Together, these can be used to create moving layers and toggle layer visibility. Events can further be used to play sound effects, lock player input, manipulate the section and even execute lua code (using LunaLua’s onEvent event)".

ok

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Sat May 14, 2022 2:07 am

Okton3999 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:51 pm
yoorest2 wrote:
but i'm on smbx 2.0

i can't find it so i'll keep using my old boss fights

Mal8rk
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Mon May 16, 2022 12:53 pm

This will be hard to explain

So I have this problem in which I would make layers appear with the help of a block, I'll call this block "block 1". The thing is that other hidden layers which were meant to be activated by a different block, let's call that one "block 2", get activated by block 1 when they are not meant to be activated

I hope someone understood this, and if they did, please help me

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon May 16, 2022 2:13 pm

POPME wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:53 pm

So I have this problem in which I would make layers appear with the help of a block, I'll call this block "block 1". The thing is that other hidden layers which were meant to be activated by a different block, let's call that one "block 2", get activated by block 1 when they are not meant to be activated

even if someone does understand it'll be much easier to identify the problem if you uploaded your level file for people to view.

Mal8rk
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Mon May 16, 2022 3:47 pm

deice wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:13 pm
POPME wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:53 pm

even if someone does understand it'll be much easier to identify the problem if you uploaded your level file for people to view.
Oh you're right, I never thought about that

Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/file/33de12yy ... l.zip/file

PD: The on/off switch closer to the start of the level is block 1, the second one that's closer to the start is block 2

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon May 16, 2022 5:19 pm

POPME wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:47 pm
Oh you're right, I never thought about that

Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/file/33de12yy ... l.zip/file

PD: The on/off switch closer to the start of the level is block 1, the second one that's closer to the start is block 2
i believe the issue stems from a quirk of the engine regarding case-sensitivity (or lack thereof) of layer and event names.
renaming the layers and events "A" and "W" to "AA" and "WW" fixed it on my end.

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Thu May 26, 2022 8:40 am

I plan to buy a notebook with Windows 11.

On this notebook I want to install SMBX 2 Beta 4 or higher.

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 am

ben wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:40 am
I plan to buy a notebook with Windows 11.

On this notebook I want to install SMBX 2 Beta 4 or higher.

Is there anything I should be looking out for?
Any laptop with a dedicated graphics card and SSD (NVME preferred but SATA works as well) should run it without issues.

NotDuhPopo
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: hehim

Postby NotDuhPopo » Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 pm

Hey, I've been having some problems with SMBX2 that I can't find solutions to anywhere. Every time I try to add custom music, I get the error "ModPlug_Load Failed" and nothing plays. What can I do to fix this? For the record I basically just took some audio from youtube and converted it to an mp3 on a third party website.

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 pm

NotDuhPopo wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 pm
Hey, I've been having some problems with SMBX2 that I can't find solutions to anywhere. Every time I try to add custom music, I get the error "ModPlug_Load Failed" and nothing plays. What can I do to fix this? For the record I basically just took some audio from youtube and converted it to an mp3 on a third party website.
If I recall, that usually means the file path is wrong. But more information such as the error itself and what the folders are like would be useful.

NotDuhPopo
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: hehim

Postby NotDuhPopo » Sat May 28, 2022 9:28 pm

MrDoubleA wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 pm
If I recall, that usually means the file path is wrong. But more information such as the error itself and what the folders are like would be useful.
The exact text of the error is "Mix_LoadMUS: (File directory where the music is) ModPlug_Load failed.
The song is in a folder in the same folder the levels are in labeled "Custom Music", which is just because I looked up a basic tutorial and the guy did that and it worked. The levels themselves are just in a custom folder along with the rest of the folders in the "Worlds" folder.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sun May 29, 2022 1:28 pm

NotDuhPopo wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:28 pm
The exact text of the error is "Mix_LoadMUS: (File directory where the music is) ModPlug_Load failed.
The song is in a folder in the same folder the levels are in labeled "Custom Music", which is just because I looked up a basic tutorial and the guy did that and it worked. The levels themselves are just in a custom folder along with the rest of the folders in the "Worlds" folder.
the ModPlug_Load error doesn't occur due to an incorrect path (that error is "Couldn't open file"). this is probably an issue regarding use of the mp3 format, which isn't always supported by the mixer (iirc this happens on some linux distros) or the file could be corrupted in some way. try converting the audio to ogg and seeing if that fixes the issue (this is recommended in general by the way, the ogg format is lighter and more versatile).

MimiWorld
Goomba
Goomba

Postby MimiWorld » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Is there a way to turn any solid block (for examble a brick block) into a BGO in SMBX2? (no i promise it's not for a troll level), thanks!
Last edited by MimiWorld on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 am

MimiWorld wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm
Is there a way to turn any solid block (for examble a brick block) into a BGO in SMBX2? (no i promise it's not for a troll level), thanks!
copy the block's graphic (from "data/graphics/block"), and then rename that one inside your level folder to match the name of a graphic used for a background object. that background object will then appear as the block when you play the level.

MimiWorld
Goomba
Goomba

Postby MimiWorld » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:45 am

deice wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 am
MimiWorld wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm
copy the block's graphic (from "data/graphics/block"), and then rename that one inside your level folder to match the name of a graphic used for a background object. that background object will then appear as the block when you play the level.
it worked, thanks a lot!

Return to “Help and Support”