General Help and Quick Questions

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
aero
Palom
Palom

General Help and Quick Questions

Postby aero » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 pm

This thread is for general help with using Super Mario Bros. X and asking quick questions. If you anticipate your question will take one or two replies, and doesn't deserve its own topic then this is the place to ask. For more technical questions feel free to make a new topic but please include screenshots, error logs, and/or your code if applicable.

The following resources are good references to check before posting: Also consider joining the SMBX Discord server and asking for help: https://discord.gg/S2eAAy6

CJK
Koopa
Koopa

Re: General Help and Quick Questions

Postby CJK » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm

I have an oddly specific question but one which could only warrant a few responses.

So I'm making levels that resembles those in SMW (although I'm also quite new to SMBX). To mimic the SMW experience, I referred to some lunalua code that makes the camera move similarly to the SMW camera (details of code: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SMWcamera.lua). I'm also trying to zoom in the camera since the standard SMBX camera is much bigger than the one used for SMW. I added some extra code into the SMWcamera file copied from another thread in this forum to accomplish this.

Code: Select all

local handycam = require("handycam") handycam[1].zoom = 1.2
The problem is that when the camera zooms in, it either leaves the player behind or obscures the very bottom of the section. If I were to place lava at the bottom of the level, I wouldn't be able to see it when playing.

My question is: How do I move a zoomed camera downwards (and leftwards since the camera never shows the very left two blocks of the section) in Lua?

The full line of code I copied is super long so I'll only post it if asked.

Thanks!

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Chilly14 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Am I allowed to create custom SMBX2-based builds? I'm thinking of making a new game called Super Mario Bros. Y.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Chilly14 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm
Am I allowed to create custom SMBX2-based builds? I'm thinking of making a new game called Super Mario Bros. Y.
Editing a hack of a fan-engine won't produce a new game. At best, it will produce a flavour of that fan-engine. Trying to create a new standard for the community will just ensure that nobody wants to touch it because there are better alternatives around. If you know some lua (which you'd need for smbx2 development as per your question), you could get the results you're probably expecting (feature scripting, instead of system writing, maintenance, and troubleshooting which is the bulk of development in SMBX2/LunaLua, as well as any other engine) much faster by simply creating scripts for SMBX2 and publishing them in the LunaLua forum.

That said, all of SMBX2 is open source via the PGE and LunaLua repositories, as well as the SMBX2 releases. So knock yourself out if you wanna compile them yourself.

DigitalDetective47
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Pronouns: they/them

Postby DigitalDetective47 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:51 am

I was wondering how to make sideways one‐way walls, if that was possible. Downward one‐ways (you can move top to bottom, but not bottom to top) would also be convenient, but not necessary.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:53 am

Ninji2701 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:51 am
I was wondering how to make sideways one‐way walls, if that was possible. Downward one‐ways (you can move top to bottom, but not bottom to top) would also be convenient, but not necessary.
As for SMBX2, making them work for players and enemies simultaneously is night impossible currently, because making them depends on making the wall solid or nonsolid depending on the "target"'s position. There may be ways to patch it into basegame in the future, but it's not a priority.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

I have no idea what you mean, could you pls elaborate a bit more?

(at first I thought of simple instant-warp-transitions between sections, but Enjl's reply suggests otherwise)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Cedur wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

(at first I thought of simple instant-warp-transitions between sections, but Enjl's reply suggests otherwise)
https://www.mariowiki.com/One-Way_Wall

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm
Cedur wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

ah, these things! I always wondered what these are. Thanks!

DigitalDetective47
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby DigitalDetective47 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm
Yes, this is what is was referring to as one‐way walls.

DigitalDetective47
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Auto-Clear Levels

Postby DigitalDetective47 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Is there any way that I can automatically trigger a level's exit as soon as it is visible? Lua is okay, I've worked with it before.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Set winstate with Level.winState(state) https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Level_(class)

DigitalDetective47
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Auto-Clear Levels

Postby DigitalDetective47 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Ninji2701 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Is there any way that I can automatically trigger a level's exit as soon as it is visible?
Should clarify that I want it to be cleared as soon as it is visible on the world map.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Ninji2701 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm
Ninji2701 wrote:
Is there any way that I can automatically trigger a level's exit as soon as it is visible?
Should clarify that I want it to be cleared as soon as it is visible on the world map.
Put a path tile behind the level tile.

DigitalDetective47
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby DigitalDetective47 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:06 pm
Ninji2701 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 pm
Ninji2701 wrote:
Put a path tile behind the level tile.
I need certain directions to be unlocked while keeping other directions locked.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Then, no. Redesign your map to not need such a state. The game only checks the player's surrounding tiles when returning from a level with a specific winstate.

Pluixx
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Pluixx » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:25 am

Im considering on downloading SMBX2 because of the fact it just has more assets and the like, and because ive been using a version of SMBX that has been downloading onto my laptop around one and a half year ago, are there any specific 'issues' I can expect with pre-existing episodes and custom assets?
Aka, custom graphics, NPC text files, etc.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:40 am

If you're talking about backwards compatibility with 1.3.0.1 ("old SMBX", often referred as "legacy SMBX"), then there are no issues.

Human_Goomba
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: (Actually Wario)

Postby Human_Goomba » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Recently been making levels using the SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 level editor, and for a while I didn't get any errors. However just today I was building a level, then when I went to test it, the editor crashed and a crash note appeared (if you get what I mean it has a picture of a beat-up cat, yea thats weird).

But that's not the main issue. I closed the editor and re-opened it. The editor made a backup of the level I was working on even though I hadn't saved it yet, so I saved it afterwards to make sure I don't lose it just in case. The problem is that now, for some reason, the level tester doesn't work. When I try to test a level, the level test program appears. The whole "buy nintendo switch to suport nintendo bla bla" message appeared, but this time the usual loading icon wouldn't appear. The screen would stay all black, completly blank, and after a few seconds, close itself. I tried closing and re-opening the editor again, only to get the same issue. I tried testing another level, but it happened again. I have a feeling I'm not the only one that has got this weird bug at least once. I was wondering if anyone knows more about this bug in detail and could help me fix my level tester.

EDIT: I can play levels from worlds just fine, it's just the level tester from the editor that doesn't work

Raymunator
Rex
Rex
Flair: I like birds.
Pronouns: he/them

Postby Raymunator » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:32 pm

I began work on an episode a few months ago using 1.3, but now I have decided to use SMBX2 instead to work on SMBX stuff. Can I transition the episode I was working on from 1.3 to SMBX2.

It's honestly kind of a dumb question, but I want to make sure it will be fine.

Return to “Help and Support”