Seta's NPC Pack - Lectern Lecture (new fix!) (also a good excuse to bump this i guess)

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

Seta's NPC Pack - Lectern Lecture (new fix!) (also a good excuse to bump this i guess)

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 am

Hello y'all. I'll be using this topic to periodically post random NPCs I am going to make when I feel like procrastinating! Stay tuned for more NPCs coming soon. I will change the title to the newest update.

WarpHUBs v1.1
Spoiler: show
This NPC is a custom checkpoints, but with a twist. When you press up on this NPC you can warp to any other warp that you have previously activated, perfect for Metroidvania levels and you want the player to have a way to quick travel.

Editor Settings
  • Name The name that should appear in the warp list
Custom Flags
  • unlockwarps Change this to true, and you can warp to any warp at any time without having it to be activated previously
  • pocketwarp Change this to true and the player can hold drop item + up to open the warp menu anytime
  • disablecheckpoint Change this to true and the warphubs will stop behaving like checkpoints thus only allowing the NPC to be used for quick travel
  • allowpreview Always show the screen where the checkpoint is at. Normally it only allows a preview to warps that are unlocked
  • title The title that appears on the list
SHOWCASE: show

Binoculars
This NPC will allow you to pan the camera around. Perfect for puzzle levels or quick-paced levels where you want the user to know the rest of the section ahead of time.

Custom Flags
  • speed The panning speed in pixels/second
  • pausegame Set to false, and the game wont pause when the binoculars are activated
Sprite is from Celeste

SpyBlocks
This NPC will trigger an event when an NPC or player is directly above it.

Editor Settings
  • Event Name The name of the event it should trigger
  • Affect Players Activating this box will make spyblock activate when it detects a player
  • Affect NPCs Activating this box will make spyblock activate when it detects an NPC
  • Container Field Used to filter NPCs when the "Affect NPC" field is on. For example, setting the key NPC to the container will make the spyblock only look for the key npc

Read Me Sign v1.1
This block will print text into itself by using textplus. All textplus commands work. Included is a "block-903-font.ini" that allows you to customize the font used.

Editor Settings
  • Text The text that is to be printed.
Custom Flags
  • xscale The X-scale of the text
  • yscale The Y-scale of the text
  • offX The X-offset from where to draw the text
  • offY The Y-offset from where to draw the text
  • priority The priority. Keep in mind that sizables are drawn at -90
  • plaintext Set to true to enable plaintext. If you enable plaintext, all the <tags> stop working, but in exchange makes the text much less laggier.
The default font is a basegame font from textplus.

Holes v1.7
A hole will transport and push players, NPCs, and blocks to other holes NEVER PUT A HOLE INSIDE ANOTHER WORM HOLE

Editor Settings
  • Name The name of the hole
  • Destination The name of the hole that should be the destination. If multiple holes have the same name, then the nearest hole is chosen. If the field is left blank, then the nearest hole is chosen regardless of name
  • Deadly Mode If checked, the wormhole will kill what it collides with instead of transporting
  • Push Force The amount of push a hole should exert on objects. Set to negative to make the hole pull objects, set to 0 to diable the push effect
  • Allow Players If checked, the wormhole will scan for players to be warped and pushed
  • Allow NPCs If checked, the hole will scan for NPCs to be warped and pushed
  • Allow Blocks If checked, the wormhole will scan for blocks to be warped and pushed
Custom Flags
  • rotationspeed The angular speed of the image rotation in degrees/second
  • radius The radius used to detect collision. Defaults to half width of the NPC
  • forceradius The radius used to detect push or pull collision. Defaults to twice the width of the NPC
  • laserspeed The speed of the laser effect in pixels/second
  • transition Set to false to disable the laser transition
  • sectiontransition Set to false and the transition is disabled when warping between sections. Note that this is disabled automatically if the transition is disabled.
  • disableribbon Disables the ribbon effect of the laser. The transition will still be active.
  • warptype Decides on what type of offset should happen when warping. Check the image for details.
To blacklist NPCs and blocks that should not be affected by the holes, open the AI_holes.lua file using a text editing program. Near the top of the file you should see a table called blacklistNPC = {} and blackListBlock = {}. To blacklist an object simply put the list of IDs inside the table separated by commas. For example

Code: Select all

local blacklistNPC = {
  1, 2, 3  -- NPCs 1, 2, and 3 are now blacklisted!
}

Sprite made by Wonolf
Sounds from:
https://www.soundsnap.com/user-name/blastwave_fx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnMhJU6RsYU

Tesla Coils v1.1
Tesla coils switch between on and off an electric state. There are two varieties.
HOW TO USE: show
There are two variants of tesla coils. The standard form (purple) and the alternative form (green).

The standard form will power on when an electric ball makes contact with the head of the tesla coil. It will power off after an interval and release an electric ball that will go towards a new destination. Done right and you can have a chain of tesla coils activating each other.

To set this up, you can give every tesla head a unique name. The set the destination field to the name of the tesla head where the electric ball should go next.
EXAMPLE: show
The alternative heads are more simplistic. Instead, you set an on and off period. The heads will turn on and off based on the delay.

The shocked koopas must be placed over a tesla body. Use the oeverlap feature in edit -> prevent overlap to make this easier.

Tesla heads become spin-jumpable when they are electrified.

Editor Settings
Electric Ball
  • Destination The name of the tesla head that the ball should travel to.
  • Speed The speed of the ball in pixels/second
Tesla Head
  • Names The name of the tesla head. Used to identify the tesla head for the destination field. If left blank, the tesla head will not output an electric ball
  • Destination The name of the tesla head that the ball should travel to.
  • On Time How long in pixels should the tesla coil stay on?
  • Off Time How long in pixels should the tesla coil stay off? When the delay is over it will automatically it will self-activate. Reccomended to be 0, its purpose is for creating generators for electric balls.
  • Electric Ball Speed The speed of the output electric ball in pixels/second
  • Begin On? Starts already electrified
Tesla Head
  • On Time How long in pixels should the tesla coil stay on?
  • Off Time How long in pixels should the tesla coil stay off?
  • Begin On? Starts already electrified
Custom Flags
  • Every NPC except for the elctricball
  • poweredframes The amount of frames in the spritesheet dedicated for when the NPC is "activated"
  • tesla Body
  • isVine Set to false to stop the NPCs from behaving like ladders
Sound Effects
Since I found it very annoying for the same sfx to be playing constantly, I made a small system. Sfx are chosen at random from a list. Simply call your sound effect teslacoil-#.wav. Make sure to go in numeric order! Look at the default sound effect to see what I mean.

Sprite made by Wonolf
Sounds from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEFv8g3fQo

Handy Torch v1.1
A torch that can be turned on by fire NPCs and turned off by ice NPCs. You can program events that get called when a torch is turned on or off. Allowing you to create level set-ups like: "Turn on all torches in this room to proceed", or "turn off this torch to open the door" all without using Lunalua!

At the very top of npc-919.lua file, there are is an easy way to change what NPCs are considered cold and hot. By default it checks the isHot and isCold flag. You can edit this if you wish to add custom cold and got functionality with custom NPCs.

Editor Settings
  • On Event The name of the event that should be activated when the torch is lit
  • Off Event The name of the event that should be activated when the torch is extinguished
  • Active If turned on, the torch will begin lit
Custom Flags
  • flameframes The number of frames that are used for when the torch is on
  • flamesize The size of the flame. Note that you should set the height field to the height of the base.

Balloons v1.1
Balloons that give the player a vertical boost when a player makes contact with the NPC. The red balloon gives the player a standard vertical boost. The green balloons allow the player to switch between a standard jump or a spin jump by holding the jump or alt-jump buttons. The blue balloon always makes the player do a standard jump and the purple balloon always makes the player do a spin jump. Characters that do not have a spin jump get a different kind of boost:
Peach: Resets hover timer.
Link: Turns into a fairy temporarily.
Wario: If Wario has a powerup, it will force a ground pound.
Rosalina: Regains double jump.
Klonoa: Regains flutter jump.
Ninja Bomberman: Regains bomb jump.
Bowser: If Bowser has a tanooki powerup, it will force a ground pound.

Custom Flags
  • respawn The number of frames that it takes for the balloons to respawn after being popped.
Sound from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJfSVPVJsA
Graphics made by AirShip.

Amped Jewels v1.1
Electric jewels that can form walls of electricity between them!
Editor Settings
  • Tags A list of tags for the amped jewel. Two amped jewels will only connect if they share at least one tag. You can have as many tags as you want, just make sure to separate them using commas (ex: tag1, tag2, tag3)
  • On Event The number of frames the amped jewel should stay on
  • Off Event The number of frames the amped jewel should stay off. Set to 0 and the jewel stays on permanently
Custom Flags
  • poweredframes The number of frames used for when the jewel is powered.
  • lightningframes The number of frames in npc-930-1.png
  • lightningframespeed The framespeed for the lightning
Sound from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEFv8g3fQo
Graphics made by Void.
Special thanks to MrDoubleA for helping me make these!

Neckys v1.2
Necky and the gang are a group of birds each with different behaviors and variants.

Editor Settings
  • Mini Necky
  • Variant Stationary: Doesn't move, shoots a nut occasionally. Top-Bottom: Moves up and down. Shoots a nut at the edges. Top-Bottom-Almost Bottom: Moves up and down. Shoots a nut at the edges and at the almost bottom.
  • Throw Delay Only for the stationary variant. The delay between nut shooting. Note that the delay is measured in idle animation cycles for a smooth transition
  • Amplitude Only for the Top-Bottom and Top-Bottom-AlmostBottom variants. Measures the amplitude of movement

Necky
  • Move Horizontally? Makes the Necky move foward
  • Move vertically? Makes the Necky move up or down
  • Move Periodically? Makes the Necky move back and forth. Combine the previous two settings to make it move in a circle
  • Amplitude Only for Neckys that move periodically. Measures the amplitude of movemet
  • Frequency Only for Neckys that move periodically. Measures the frequency of movement in cycles per second

Nut Necky
  • Variant Foward: Makes the Necky throw the nut forward. Top: Throws the nut upwards. Spray: Throws the nut forwards, top, and backward in succession
  • Initial Throw Force: The initial y-velocity of the nut,
  • Throw Cooldown: Waiting frames in between nut throwing.
Graphics made by FireSepharim.
Sounds ripped by DKCPlayer

BoomShell Koopa
Fun fact, this is how I originally wanted the bombshell Koopa to behave.

Custom Flags
Koopa
  • spawnid The NPC ID of the boom shell
Shell
  • warningdelay The number of frames until the shell displayed the warning animation
  • explosiondelay The number of frames until the shell explodes
Big thanks to MrDoubleA for helping making these work!

Button
A button that when stepped on triggers an event.

Editor Settings
  • Event The name of the event that should be activated
  • Only work once? If checked, the button will break after one use
Custom Flags
  • pressedFrames The number of frames that are used for when the button is pressed
Sprite is by Void

Lever
A lever that toggles a layer's visibility.

Editor Settings
  • Layer The name of the layer that will be toggled
  • No smoke? If checked, the smoke effect will be disabled when toggling a layer
  • State If the lever should begin on or off?
Custom Flags
  • pressedFrames The number of frames that are used for when the lever is pressed

Lectern v1.1
The lectern allows you to store multiple pages of text into an NPC. The lectern displays its text in a convenient method without stopping the game. Textplus tags work with the lectern allowing cool effects. You can customize the font to have your very own custom fonts. You split the text into separate pages by using the | symbol. Use <vl> to display | inside the lectern.

Editor Settings
  • Starting Page The page in which the lectern should begin
  • Text Put text here
Custom Flags
  • textboxwidth The width of the textbox.

If you find any bugs, please report them so I can fix them!
Last edited by Yoshi021 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: anemoia

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - Now featuring WarpHUBs and Binoculars

Postby Akromaly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:46 am

Oh my, these warp hubs are brilliant!

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - Now featuring WarpHUBs and Binoculars

Postby MrDoubleA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 am

I especially like the Celeste binoculars, very nice work!

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - Introducing Read Me Signs!

Postby Yoshi021 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Added a new custom block. I call it a "Read Me Sign"!

Thats right, I made a custom block in my NPC pack ;)

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - Introducing Read Me Signs!

Postby Yoshi021 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Added wormholes

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - For the first time ever, WORMHOLES!

Postby Chilly14 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:49 pm

I've found a bug with the wormholes:
Apparently the only time the error appears is when I set it so that it doesn't teleport players.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:40 pm

Yoshi021 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 am
WarpHUBs
This NPC is a custom checkpoints, but with a twist. When you press up on this NPC you can warp to any other warp that you have previously activated, perfect for Metroidvania levels and you want the player to have a way to quick travel.

Editor Settings
  • Name The name that should appear in the warp list
Custom Flags
  • unlockwarps Change this to true, and you can warp to any warp at any time without having it to be activated previously
  • pocketwarp Change this to true and the player can hold drop item + up to open the warp menu anytime
  • disablecheckpoint Change this to true and the warphubs will stop behaving like checkpoints thus only allowing the NPC to be used for quick travel
  • allowpreview Always show the screen where the checkpoint is at. Normally it only allows a preview to warps that are unlocked
  • title The title that appears on the list
If you find any bugs, please report them so I can fix them!
Should not "Unlockwarps" and "Disablecheckpoint" be editor settings instead of npc configs?

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Why not make a black hole? It could work like in galaxy 1 and 2's side-scrolling sections! The gfx could just be recolored from the wormholes!!!

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

TheGameyFireBro105 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:20 pm
Why not make a black hole? It could work like in galaxy 1 and 2's side-scrolling sections! The gfx could just be recolored from the wormholes!!!
Just have a worm hole that warps the player to a wormhole at the bottom of the stage.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Chilly14 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:49 pm
I've found a bug with the wormholes:
Apparently the only time the error appears is when I set it so that it doesn't teleport players.
I fixed it. The link has been updated.

TheGameyFireBro105 wrote: Why not make a black hole? It could work like in galaxy 1 and 2's side-scrolling sections! The gfx could just be recolored from the wormholes!!!
I could make one in the future.

MECHDRAGON777 wrote: Should not "Unlockwarps" and "Disablecheckpoint" be editor settings instead of npc configs?
It might be weird, but I could try...

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm
Just have a worm hole that warps the player to a wormhole at the bottom of the stage.
Black holes in galaxy pull u in. Thats why i suggested it. it could serve as a gr8 hazard!

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Black holes in galaxy pull u in. Thats why i suggested it. it could serve as a gr8 hazard!
Well, if it helps, SetaYoshi is actually making them.

Hammerless Penguin
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Just kicking that kirby to the curb!

Postby Hammerless Penguin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Murphmario wrote:
I had the exact same recommendation on discord. The black are actually getting worked on.

GOD_SAMA
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: just a roaming hylian

Postby GOD_SAMA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:08 pm

how about things like a candle or something that needs the fire flower to light up sort of light a torch that needs fire to activate something
basically if mario had an electric flower and he shot electricity at something it would give it a charge and that could be used to open doors etc but instead of electricity its the fire flower

basically a system where certain power ups activate certain things or deactivate things
the ice flower could be used to freeze a switch on fire or something
and the fire flower could be used to set a block on fire or light a carryable lantern block or light source

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 pm

GOD_SAMA wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:08 pm
how about things like a candle or something that needs the fire flower to light up sort of light a torch that needs fire to activate something
basically if mario had an electric flower and he shot electricity at something it would give it a charge and that could be used to open doors etc but instead of electricity its the fire flower

basically a system where certain power ups activate certain things or deactivate things
the ice flower could be used to freeze a switch on fire or something
and the fire flower could be used to set a block on fire or light a carryable lantern block or light source
This is what I think of your suggestion. (Im inpiring on the spy block)

A torch NPC, that has three editor settings.
1) Ignite Event: ____ Event to trigger when the torch gets lit using a fire flower or other fire elemental NPCs
2) Extinguish Event: ____ Event to trigger when the torch gets extinguished using an ice flower, super leaf or other water/air elemental NPCs
3) Being on? [T/F] If turned on, the torch will begin lit.

So you can have some kind of puzzle where its a room with unlit candles and you must light all the candles to open the next room.
Or have a setup where the torches are lit and you must extinguish them all to open the door.

Of course, you would have to set up the "open the door" part since the torches would just call events.

GOD_SAMA
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby GOD_SAMA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:25 am

i always wondered why its not a base smbx thing where powerups do that
i think mario or atleast nintendo games have these puzzle solving elements

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm

GOD_SAMA wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:25 am
i always wondered why its not a base smbx thing where powerups do that
i think mario or atleast nintendo games have these puzzle solving elements
Yeah, lightable torches were definitely in Mario games before.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Re: Seta's NPC Pack - Tesla Coils join the battle!

Postby Yoshi021 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Tesla Coils are now available :)

GOD_SAMA
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby GOD_SAMA » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am

i thought i was the one that came up with the idea of a sort of electric flower power up that would be used to power things and stun enemies lol but this is fine tho since you have a tesla coil why not something of the sort but with fire and ice like for fire could be lighting torches and ice could be turning them off or freezing enemies to be used as a heavy weight to activate blocks or open doors etc
also since you have tesla coils why not a battery block that stores electricity for use in something (dont know what youd use such a block for tho)

also for the sprite you used for the current on moving from each tesla coil why not use a spark enemy as it like https://www.mariowiki.com/Li%27l_Sparky or https://www.mariowiki.com/Hothead or https://www.mariowiki.com/Amp which is basicaly this https://www.mariowiki.com/Flame_Chomp but with electricity so creating the sprite wouldnt be as difficult
or this https://www.mariowiki.com/Spark

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am

Fixed a bug in wormholes that in which an NPC would not be hidden correctly. The download link has been updated.

Return to “LunaLua”