SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:59 am

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I haven't found anything on the subject so far.

1. Warps: Doors and Pipes
Well, in the original Mario games you can only enter pipes and doors if they have a floor underneath. There are, of course, a few exceptions, e.g. you can always enter pipes underwater and you can reach a "floating" door in the sky with a Lakitu cloud or if you wait for the best moment while standing on a moving plattform.

Can this be fixed or is there perhaps a custom script from someone? The issue is of course complex (I am aware of that) and not so easy to fix.
Donut blocks under doors, for example, would also work in part, provided they have not sunk too far.
But I think most people are more familiar with the whole thing anyway.

2. Darkness Settings
In general this is something really cool, but I think a few things are missing.
"Unlit": Imagine this could be applied to a background (image or object to place in a level). By turning this "on" or to "true" the object or layer would not be affected by the lighting or rather the darkness settings.
This could be also very useful for background images: Imagine you are playing a level in the sunset. You have already edited the image to your liking. The lighting should ONLY apply to blocks and background objects (bushes, gras, trees ..). I mean the lighting DOES come "from the sky".

I am also pretty sure "effects" (like you collect something and you get points) should be unlit, too. (they are not).
Last edited by Just_Thomas on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:42 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:59 am
2. Darkness Settings
In general this is something really cool, but I think a few things are missing.
"Unlit": Imagine this could be applied to a background (image or object to place in a level). By turning this "on" or to "true" the object or layer would not be affected by the lighting or rather the darkness settings.
This could be also very useful for background images: Imagine you are playing a level in the sunset. You have already edited the image to your liking. The lighting should ONLY apply to blocks and background objects (bushes, gras, trees ..). I mean the lighting DOES come "from the sky".

I am also pretty sure "effects" (like you collect something and you get points) should be unlit, too. (they are not).
Sadly this isn't really possible with how the darkness effect works. It's not applied to objects, but to the entire screen as a whole. Consider a situation where an object were marked as "unlit", and then the player walks in front of it. Should the outline of the object still be unlit, even though something is covering it? If not, how would you detect that when the game doesn't use a depth buffer? And even if we DID switch to using a depth buffer, that still wouldn't account for semitransparency. It's unfortunate but it is sort of the nature of how the system works that this isn't really doable.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:31 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:42 am
Sadly this isn't really possible with how the darkness effect works. It's not applied to objects, but to the entire screen as a whole. Consider a situation where an object were marked as "unlit", and then the player walks in front of it. Should the outline of the object still be unlit, even though something is covering it? If not, how would you detect that when the game doesn't use a depth buffer? And even if we DID switch to using a depth buffer, that still wouldn't account for semitransparency. It's unfortunate but it is sort of the nature of how the system works that this isn't really doable.
Thanks for the reply. I think I SOMEHOW get it.

In this regard, I hope you can answer some "kind" of follow-up question.
In terms of custom blocks, BGOs etc., we have the option of putting them in episode folders or level folders. Now I'm wondering whether it's theoretically possible to expand the system so that it can also recognize individual sections (of which we have 20 per level). I could imagine that it would be possible to avoid one or two problems. But I also know that this is a long way off and will certainly cause some people here to frown. Making requests and putting forward theories is always a bit like one person working and the other collecting the money for it. So please don't take offense at this kind of posting.
At the end I guess I just try to find a way to use the darkness system as best as possible.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:34 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I haven't found anything on the subject so far.

viewtopic.php?t=25685

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:54 am

Emral wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:34 am
Just_Thomas wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=25685
Thanks a lot.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:00 am

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:32 am

You have my attention. I admit, after about 2.75 years without a blog update or release, I no longer believed it. But now my joy is all the greater.

I'll be honest, I have more than enough games for the Switch on my shelf. And even if a Switch 2 or something similar is announced soon, it may be beaten in terms of enjoyment by one thing: A new update for SMBX.

Edit: Any plans to include for example Extended Koopas into the pack? They seem to be better anyway.

Edit 2: About "Semi-Solid Slopes": NPCs do not like them at all [either they fall directly through them or they think of them as stairs]. Any hope for improvements in this matter? For the player however they work quite fine.

Edit 3:
Blog, Day 3: wrote:Checkpoint: Added extra settings for changing the powerup and sound

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:48 am

It is about "One-way scrolling (no turn back"):
Is it possible, that this quite old feature might accidentally "kill" NPCs sometimes ahead of the player (so on the right side of the current screen)?
"Kill" in the way the won`t get loaded. At least with custom NPCs I feel like this can happen (and this happens random, so not really replicable).
Also not "killed" NPCs on the left side from the current screen get "auto-killed" by the system, which you can always hear. Are there any plans for improving this feature?

Fortis
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Fortis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:57 am

I'm loving the daily updates on the new features available in the next release.

King Mario
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Jesus Christ is Lord!

Postby King Mario » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:31 am

Wait wait wait, B5?? I thought it was said that the next version of SMBX2 would be the final version.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:50 pm

King Mario wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:31 am
Wait wait wait, B5?? I thought it was said that the next version of SMBX2 would be the final version.
We’ve been tricked, we’ve been backstabbed, and, quite possibly, we’ve been bamboozled.

In all seriousness, though, I do think that they’re still working on multiplayer stuff and want to add a few more things, like semisolid slopes and more NOCs.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:22 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:50 pm
King Mario wrote:
We’ve been tricked, we’ve been backstabbed, and, quite possibly, we’ve been bamboozled.

In all seriousness, though, I do think that they’re still working on multiplayer stuff and want to add a few more things, like semisolid slopes and more NOCs.
Finally... somebody else beside me is talking about "semi-solid" slopes. :lol:
In their current state they kind of work for the player, but like mentioned earlier in a post of mine, they don't work at all with NPCs. Do you also think about doing stuff like in SMW? (e.g. Donut Plains 4). I am no expert, but however even SMW uses them quite sparingly (maybe using them is tricky, I do not know).

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:38 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:22 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
King Mario wrote:

In their current state they kind of work for the player, but like mentioned earlier in a post of mine, they don't work at all with NPCs. Do you also think about doing stuff like in SMW? (e.g. Donut Plains 4). I am no expert, but however even SMW uses them quite sparingly (maybe using them is tricky, I do not know).
From what I’ve seen in the discord, the only Semisolid slopes I’ve seen were the SMW ghost house stairs and the SMB3 wood bridge ones. So maybe.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:59 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:38 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:22 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:

From what I’ve seen in the discord, the only Semisolid slopes I’ve seen were the SMW ghost house stairs and the SMB3 wood bridge ones. So maybe.
I am sorry, I actually meant official nintendo content. From what I know, SMB3 did NOT have any levels with semi-solid slopes, SMW introduced them.
Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3 port for GBA) has 2 ghosthouse levels with these things. Considering it has other elements from other Mario games ported before it is not surprising.
Blog entry wrote:The REAL winner of the upcoming patch is the Airship level.
Amazing, just amazing. I can see some content created and released before but several stuff there seems to be brand new. I guess it was easier to implement some content "native"?

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:48 pm

I like that since 29. january information about elements in the next update of SMBX 2 can be seen on pictures every day. :)

If there is interest, something like this could be make for future projects and their updates of SMBX. :)
King Mario wrote: Wait wait wait, B5?? I thought it was said that the next version of SMBX2 would be the final version.

I also thought that after beta 4 of SMBX 2 the "major release" of SMBX 2 would follow.

I suspect that the team of SMBX 2 would like to test various things in a beta.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:02 pm

ben wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:48 pm
I like that since 29. january information about elements in the next update of SMBX 2 can be seen on pictures every day. :)

If there is interest, something like this could be make for future projects and their updates of SMBX. :)
King Mario wrote: Wait wait wait, B5?? I thought it was said that the next version of SMBX2 would be the final version.

I also thought that after beta 4 of SMBX 2 the "major release" of SMBX 2 would follow.

I suspect that the team of SMBX 2 would like to test various things in a beta.

I’m no developer on this, so I can’t really say anything about this, but I did notice that character stuff on the SMBX2 sheet has been hidden. This means that “they aren't relevant for the next update...” so I’m guessing that when things are fully multiplayer compatible, that’s when X2 will exit beta. Also guessing that’s the focus of the next update. “multiplayer madness.”

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:45 am

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:14 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:02 pm
but I did notice that character stuff on the SMBX2 sheet has been hidden. This means that “they aren't relevant for the next update...” so I’m guessing that when things are fully multiplayer compatible, that’s when X2 will exit beta. Also guessing that’s the focus of the next update. “multiplayer madness.”
Thank you mariobrigade2018. :)

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:53 pm

Emral wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:45 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ia-OiEFzQ
1:00 AM?! HEH?!

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:39 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:53 pm
Emral wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:45 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ia-OiEFzQ
1:00 AM?! HEH?!
The premiere of the video is tomorrow. :)

Return to “LunaLua”