SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby ShadowXeldron » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 am

I am against this change, and I think the TNT should be left as-is. As a separate variant of TNT however I'll fine with it. Make it blue or something

0lhi
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech QC

Postby 0lhi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:03 pm

Separate TNT Block is a good idea. The new one could be based on the Japanese TNT Crate and display a bomb icon:

I don't think the new one should get a different color. Red is a good indicator of danger. The new one shouldn't look less dangerous than the old one.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:20 pm

I feel like it's too minor of a difference to warrant a new block entirely. The behaviour in the original game was almost certainly a bug rather than intended behaviour, so I'm hesitant to include it, especially since Mario's spinjump is a very different thing from Crash Bandicoot's spin.

I do think it might be worth having something like the TNT crate with a much shorter timer, though, which would solve the issue here and warrant a new block slot, since it could be used to create interesting setups in its own right.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 pm

What about editor settings?

Countdown time
- default value: 3

Explode on spin jump/tail whip
- default value: false

0lhi
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech QC

Postby 0lhi » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:57 am

Marioman2007 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:35 pm
What about editor settings?

Countdown time
- default value: 3

Explode on spin jump/tail whip
- default value: false
Activated
- default value: off

Could be used to have TNTs start the countdown as soon as they appear onscreen.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:49 pm

Honestly, I like the idea of a configurable countdown timer, either by making it cap out at 3 or by creating a new numerical font just for TNT countdowns.

I also like the idea of the Activated option, since there were levels in the original Crash that did that - though they were effectively mounted autoscrollers.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 pm

IMO the activated option seems a little superfluous, seeing that it can be achieved by simply playing an NPC on top of a nitro in the editor. Things like stationary firebars can hit both nitro and tnt without spawning an effect, too, and their layer can be hidden upon the nitro/tnt's death. This way of instant activation can also be easily telegraphed if desired, as I think it is in the autoscroller part of the level that was shown at the start of this conversation.
It might be wise to avoid having blocks that need to know when they're onscreen, performance-wise.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:13 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 pm
IMO the activated option seems a little superfluous, seeing that it can be achieved by simply playing an NPC on top of a nitro in the editor. Things like stationary firebars can hit both nitro and tnt without spawning an effect, too, and their layer can be hidden upon the nitro/tnt's death. This way of instant activation can also be easily telegraphed if desired, as I think it is in the autoscroller part of the level that was shown at the start of this conversation.
It might be wise to avoid having blocks that need to know when they're onscreen, performance-wise.
Activation would, in this case, mean beginning the timer, not instantly exploding, though you are right that this should be possible using NPCs.

As for performance, it shouldn't be too performance heavy to handle in this case, as it would only need to check those blocks that have the flag set.

kimox_
Goomba
Goomba

Postby kimox_ » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am

Speaking of suggestions, I would suggest 5 new things, I don't know if they are good enough or that they were suggested earlier but I am still gonna go through them (I hope this will get noticed):
1. Random trigger: randomizes layers, (classic) events and other stuff, invisible in-game, but visible in the editor
2. Lock to player X: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the X position (left and right, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
3. (Similar to the 2nd one) Lock to player Y: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the Y position (up and down, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
4. Text (letters) BGO's from A do Z, including the character filters, as well as numbers from (0) 1 to 9
5. Mario Challenge option: "you can't strafe left/right" which would probabbly make mario challenge basically impossible but it would be funny lmao

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:12 pm

kimox_ wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 am
1. Random trigger: randomizes layers, (classic) events and other stuff, invisible in-game, but visible in the editor
do you mean triggering an event based on a random number? if so, this can already be done through lua:

Code: Select all

local num = RNG.randomInt(1, 3)
if(num == 1) then
	triggerEvent("event1")
elseif(num == 2) then
	triggerEvent("event2")
else
	triggerEvent("event3")
end
kimox_ wrote:
2. Lock to player X: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the X position (left and right, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
3. (Similar to the 2nd one) Lock to player Y: a block/bgo or an npc (layer-named) would follow the player of the Y position (up and down, using "+" and "-" slider) with diagonal support
also already possible:

Code: Select all

local xOffset = 10 --arbitrary

function onTick()
	for _, v in NPC.iterate() do
		if(v.layerName == "playerAttachedLayer") then
			v.x = (player.x + 0.5 * player.width) - (0.5 * v.width) + xOffset
		end
	end
end
(this is just a simple example, the same logic can also be applied to a y offset)
kimox_ wrote:
4. Text (letters) BGO's from A do Z, including the character filters, as well as numbers from (0) 1 to 9
this can be done using the in-built Text class or textplus.

kimox_
Goomba
Goomba

Postby kimox_ » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:58 pm

I see what you did, the problem is, I suck at coding lol. thank you for replying, have a nice day.

King Mario
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: Jesus Christ is Lord!
Pronouns: he/him

Postby King Mario » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:22 pm

I tried running SMBX2B4 on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine.

It told me it needed api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll in order to run.

I applied it to the SMBX2 data folder, but then it told me that procedure entry point ucrtbase.abort could not be located.

What is going on here?

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 pm

For an unknown number of years I have been waiting patiently and with joy for the major release of version 2.

I mean the version about which on the following link

https://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/blog/2020/ ... to-update/

could read the following:

"As of the new system, this version is 2.0.0.b4, and the next major release will be 2.0.0. That's right: the full release of the engine. There will be no Beta 5."

Since I still assume that the amount of work on this version is still not low, I still expect that this version furthermore will be available for download as a major release next year at the earliest.

I would like to thank all, who are working on this, so that version 2 could be available for download as the major release sometime in the future. :)  

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:11 am

Hey! So I would like first off to say that I'm really loving everything that's coming when beta 5 drops. I can't wait to experiment with a ton of cool stuff.

I have a few suggestions that I thought of for a while. Three of which were during the submission and judging periods of Vanillacon 2022. I spoilered the suggestions so they don't clog up the thread.

Passive character filters:
Spoiler: show
(Gif from DisasterMaster)
There could be a ton of versatility brought from passive character filter blocks, both in chocolate and vanilla levels. The first two ideas that come to my mind are potential kaizo levels setup and vanilla intro/outro cutscenes featuring the player as a different character. This isn't to make the original character filters obsolete. I do believe the default character blocks are still helpful in many cases. Still, I also think there are moments where a character block's place could get occupied by another filter block (like Powerup reset blocks). I understand if these aren't included as there's some possible jank that comes with them. The idea was brought up in the #Vanillacon-2022 channel on the SMBX discord server by DisasterMaster (during the judging period). I thought of sharing this as I found no mentions in Codehaus.
NPC remover blocks:
I noticed NPC remover blocks have been slowly creeping up in a number of levels over the past year. Granted, I'm aware this idea originally came from SLAM as a bgo. And in terms of filter blocks that clean up NPCs in some setups, I also understand that lava blocks exist. However, there are two drawbacks to using lava. First is the priority, since you can't adjust a block's priority render in vanilla. And secondly, their red light in sections with darkness is sometimes distracting if you're using them as a filter block. NPC remover blocks could also eliminate lava-immune or no-block-collision NPCs. Perhaps it's just me growing to dislike lava blocks over the years? Maybe my argument leans too hard on vanilla over chocolate...? Or there's some jank or concerns of exploits that I don't know of?
Tantrunts set to "don't move:"
This is a weird one: I'm not sure if this behavior was intended or if there wasn't any consideration of how they behave when set to "don't move." I find it... odd seeing a Tantrunt idle in place after taking damage. I imagined they would've run into a wall, and face the opposite direction. The only way to stop Tantrunts from their standstill rage is by either defeating them or walking away far enough to despawn them. One idea would be an NPC config, but I feel in this situation, it would leave vanilla creators at an unfair disadvantage. Specifically, when it comes to set up potential. I also don't know of any levels that use Tantrunts set to "don't move." There could be one I'm missing, though. Maybe an NPC variant of a "tough" Tantrunt or an extra-settings toggle in case there is a level that could break. I'm aware that SMBX2 prioritizes compatibility and NPC slots are tight because we're already getting 100 NPCs in beta 5. Again, maybe there is a level that could break if this was changed. I just think it's bizarre that Tantrunts set to "don't move" remain still while raging.
Cloud Drops sliding through physical environmental zones:
This last one is brief. Cloud drops will slide through an environmental zone and immediately clip back to their spawn point. The previous gif features a Cloud drop in quicksand, while this gif features a Cloud drop moving through water (Note: I forgot that this two-year-old gif looped perfectly). I didn't check if anyone else reported this earlier as this wasn't something I planned on mentioning. But hey, wouldn't hurt to try in case?

I might be suggesting too much for one side of the table without giving much to the other. I wasn't sure about sharing this in Codehaus, as making a text wall with three suggestions and a bug report in #smbx2 could've come off as annoying or begging. I also respect and understand any reasons made for or against the first three suggestions. The dev team knows more about the engine, blocks, and NPCs than I do, so there could be some stuff that I don't know or understand fully. These have been stuck in my mind, so I wanted to get them out and see what everyone thinks.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo

Postby Hoeloe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:00 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:11 am
a bug report in #smbx2 could've come off as annoying or begging.
I just wanna say that bug reports in codehaus are always fine. It's actually really helpful, as we're a small team and can't always find every bug!

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:23 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:11 am
So I would like first off to say that I'm really loving everything that's coming when beta 5 drops.
I don't know if there will be a beta 5 of SMBX 2.

However, on the link I included in my post from the 10. december last year, it reads to me that after beta 4 of SMBX 2 the major release 2.0.0 will follow.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 am

ben wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:23 pm
I don't know if there will be a beta 5 of SMBX 2.
As I know, there was told that there will no Beta 5 will be: instead, the normal stable release is planned. (Fix me if I am not right).

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 am
As I know, there was told that there will no Beta 5 will be: instead, the normal stable release is planned. (Fix me if I am not right).
I recently realised that I accidentally deleted my reply to this message.

So I'm rewriting my reply in a short way.

"This is how I understand it. :-)"

Shodax
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Pronouns: he

Postby Shodax » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:18 am

I love this "maker", very good job.
I would like to suggest for a future version of SMBX2 that it is possible to create new powerups with lua without replacing existing ones. What do you think?

ToastWithTheMost224
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: He/Him, any

Postby ToastWithTheMost224 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:11 pm

Hey uh, smbx2 isnt opening for me, like not working whatsoever. Every time i try to open it it just doesn't do anything, has anyone else encountered this problem and if so has anyone found a fix yet? ive looked almost everywhere and i cant find anything on this.

Return to “LunaLua”