SMB1 Player Sprites for Everyone! 1.3 Released!(38A)

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.
ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Re: SMB1 Player Sprites for Everyone! 1.3 Released!(38A)

Postby ItsIggy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm

Currently working on version 1.4! There are quite a few offsets I missed. Also thinking about overhauling toad to be more SMB1 appropriate and not just a SMB2 recolor. Also I'm hoping to give propeller Link well... ya know... a propeller. If you have seen any oddities while using these sprites now would be the time to tell me.

Sonic Gamer 198
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Sonic Gamer 198 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:11 pm

Were can download the smbx 1.4.4 patch 4? i searched it on internet and i can't find it, please share a link of the patch 4 :'(

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:30 am

Patch 1.4 is underway! Here is a tease of Toad's new player sprites! Fully redone to be more SMB1 appropriate rather than just simple SMB2 recolored with SMB1's palette. Top row is the old, bottom row are the new!

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:44 pm

Hit a bit of a bump in the road regarding development. The update from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5 messed with some player offsets. Why does this matter? Because in version 1.4.4 there is a tool to adjust player offsets, this was removed in version 1.4.5. In addition the current version utilizes sprites that 1.4.4 didn't leading to the player look like it is vibrating. However there is still a way to adjust player offsets in version 1.4.5, you have to open the level with a text editor and edit all of the lines that begin with "PX". The thing is, this is a lot of text to dig through take a look for yourself.

I will be combing through this mountain of numbers to fix any offsets I missed. I wish there was an easier way to do this but PGE editor reads player offsets incorrectly.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:32 am

ItsIggy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:44 pm
I will be combing through this mountain of numbers to fix any offsets I missed. I wish there was an easier way to do this but PGE editor reads player offsets incorrectly.
First let me say, your work here is absolutely wonderful. The question now is about SMBX 2.0.
You mentioned the offsets, and I see them of course by myself: The player always seems to be 8 pixels to deep in the block (or 4 pixels if you work with the original resolution not doubled).
Normally I would think I simply have to move each horizontal row 8 pixels up, but the top one is already at the images boarder and I wonder if that simply rule does not even apply anyway. If it is diligent work I do not mind doing for my project, but it would kind of suck, if it would end up looking worse. Can you tell me, if I can simply fix that by myself or would you rather provide a SMBX 2.0 version instead at some point?

Edit: Nevermind, just realized they acutally are longer/have a greater height.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:02 am

I can make the 2.0 version once the new update drops.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:34 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:02 am
This would be quite neat.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:23 pm

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Alright, but heads up it will have a fair amount of offset issues to fix when imported to SMBX2. I am hoping for this update to be the final one. I am manually combing through all 5 characters 12 power up variants for offset issues. I am hoping to fix all of them, along with the new and improved Toad sprites I am hoping to fix all other miscellaneous sprite issues.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:16 am

ItsIggy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:23 pm
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Alright, but heads up it will have a fair amount of offset issues to fix when imported to SMBX2. I am hoping for this update to be the final one. I am manually combing through all 5 characters 12 power up variants for offset issues. I am hoping to fix all of them, along with the new and improved Toad sprites I am hoping to fix all other miscellaneous sprite issues.
As long as life doesn’t decide to give me a difficulty spike when this is released, then I should be able to get things done within a month or 2. Toad will be first, then the bros, and finally Peach and Link will be last. Should I give Peach-Link the swimming sprites, have both available, or leave as is?

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:44 am

ItsIggy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:23 pm
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Everything is in order. Take the time you need. It took me a while to realize that I need to be a little more patient and that sometimes certain things just take time. Of course, that's not a helpful answer, but I just wanted to convey my appreciation for your "service".
It is done, when it is done. I am looking forward to it.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:37 am

Just_Thomas wrote: Everything is in order. Take the time you need. It took me a while to realize that I need to be a little more patient and that sometimes certain things just take time. Of course, that's not a helpful answer, but I just wanted to convey my appreciation for your "service".
Thank you so much for your kind words!
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
As long as life doesn’t decide to give me a difficulty spike when this is released, then I should be able to get things done within a month or 2. Toad will be first, then the bros, and finally Peach and Link will be last. Should I give Peach-Link the swimming sprites, have both available, or leave as is?
I respect your ambitions, I would say go for it!

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:46 pm

ItsIggy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:37 am
Just_Thomas wrote: Everything is in order. Take the time you need. It took me a while to realize that I need to be a little more patient and that sometimes certain things just take time. Of course, that's not a helpful answer, but I just wanted to convey my appreciation for your "service".
Thank you so much for your kind words!
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
I respect your ambitions, I would say go for it!
Alrighty then, here's how things will be posted:
  • Toad
    Toad w/h swimming animations
    The Bros
    Peach and Link
    Peach and Link w/h swimming animation
The bros will be no problem (I've been making costumes for them). Toad should be easy, but Peach and Link (especially with the swimming animations) might take a little longer to complete.

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing

Postby Ibaka » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:09 am

Very cool

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:15 am

Alrighty, now that I got some certain developments for the Origins Duology out of the way I am now going full steam ahead with player sprites 1.4 update!

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 am

Not quite sure where to post this as I feel like I want to "multi - adress" some things, but are all these things somehow related?
I admit I've lost track a bit, or is one ONLY related to SMB1 player sheets and the other ONLY to SMW version? Are there any similarities or are they 2 completely different pairs of shoes? This post will probably make some people frown, but I'll just ask again.
Marioman2007 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:09 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 am
Marioman2007 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 am

I'm unable to reproduce the bug. Earlier today someone else was also experiencing this bug and removing the cap feather worked for them.
Can you zip the level and upload it here or by a PM?
I deleted most of the stuff in the level not needed
https://www.file-upload.net/download-15 ... e.zip.html
or
https://file.io/ywiMjf5kIRId
or
https://fastupload.io/FuWdnHmVroBgGrP/file

Thanks.
I think its because of the costumes, after disabling them, things work fine for me.
I'll upload a patch for that soon.
Also one thing I noticed is that you are registering the cape feather twice, the cape feather npc already registers the powerup so you don't need to register it in luna.lua.
----
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
----
ItsIggy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:15 am
Alrighty, now that I got some certain developments for the Origins Duology out of the way I am now going full steam ahead with player sprites 1.4 update!

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 am
Not quite sure where to post this as I feel like I want to "multi - adress" some things, but are all these things somehow related?
I admit I've lost track a bit, or is one ONLY related to SMB1 player sheets and the other ONLY to SMW version? Are there any similarities or are they 2 completely different pairs of shoes? This post will probably make some people frown, but I'll just ask again.
Marioman2007 wrote:
Thanks.
I think its because of the costumes, after disabling them, things work fine for me.
Also one thing I noticed is that you are registering the cape feather twice, the cape feather npc already registers the powerup so you don't need to register it in luna.lua.

Why did you quote me from the customPowerups.lua topic?
My script is made for X2 but these SMB1 costumes are for 38A.
There's no way that these two will be related.

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:47 am

Marioman2007 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 am
Marioman2007 wrote:
Thanks.

Why did you quote me from the customPowerups.lua topic?
My script is made for X2 but these SMB1 costumes are for 38A.
There's no way that these two will be related.
I am sorry about that. I think I took a VERY wrong turn somewhere.
Actually it was about the sheets could be used to make a version for X2 as well, as soon as they get updated to prevent working with an older version.
I guess I overthought it a little, as I somehow thought, SMB1 and SMW costume might look similar in terms of proportions and it might be needed for a fix ... yeah...

tldr; I just got lost in my thoughts.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:47 am
Actually it was about the sheets could be used to make a version for X2 as well, as soon as they get updated to prevent.
:/
mariobrigade2018 wrote: I can make the 2.0 version once the new update drops.

KJPopcorn
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby KJPopcorn » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:45 pm

Where's the powerups in the sprites? (Frog, Penguin, Shell, Mini, Helicopter)?

How long did it take to make this?

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:39 am

KJPopcorn wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:45 pm
Where's the powerups in the sprites? (Frog, Penguin, Shell, Mini, Helicopter)?

How long did it take to make this?
I didn't make the power-ups, they are in SMBX 38A by default. Also I honestly don't have an answer for how long it has taken to make this.

Return to “Graphics”