Super Mario Origins Duology(38A)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Super Mario Origins Duology(38A)

Postby ItsIggy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 am

Super Mario Origins Duology; NEW DEMO COMING OUT SOON!

DOWNLOAD THE SMB1 SIDE DEMO HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RZMwL ... bbJsAXKfdM

In development since December of 2018, this project started out as Super Mario Bros. Remastered features the graphics from the All-Stars version of SMB1 and features taken from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the Gameboy Color. In May of 2020 I decided to merge "The Lost Levels Remastered" with this project to make "The Super Mario Origins Duology". It's now a 2 game remasters in 1 episode.
Here is some of what you can expect to see in Super Mario Bros. Remastered:

RETURNING FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF SMB1 + TLL:
  • Ace-Coins from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, only relocated throughout the levels to be more appropriate.
  • Yoshi Eggs from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe as well, except the locations for the eggs won't change.
  • Overworld based off of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe in SMAS styled graphics with a newly added warp world.
  • You vs Boo Levels are back but have been repurposed into multiplayer VS levels bundled with the main episode itself as a bonus.
  • A working end level fireworks system.
  • A checkpoint system accurate to SMB1 rather than the default SMW checkpoint.
  • Proper SMB1-esque level intros.
  • Parrallax and backgrounds improved to be more accurate to the SMAS version.
  • Hard mode returns from the NES and SNES versions.
NEW TO SUPER MARIO ORIGINS DUOLOGY:
  • Beginning and ending scenes for both SMB1 and TLL akin to Super Mario Advance 4.
  • Ace Coins and Yoshi Eggs from SMBDX will be added to "The Lost Levels" as well.
  • Added Peach's Castle at the start of the game where you can view scenes, see Ace-Coin and Yoshi Egg totals, use unlocks obtained by collecting Ace-Coins and eggs, and is also where you can swith from playing SMB1 or TLL.
  • All 5 characters are playable! With Peach, Toad, and Link looking more SMB1 appropriate.
  • Unlockables include returning power-ups, Yoshi(Yes in SMB1 style), SMBX exclusive items, and abilities from other games.
  • Full co-op support for both games.(Except the custom HUD, and parrallax scrolling which always breaks in multiplayer, sorry!)
  • Toad, Peach, and Link will have proper (NEW) swimming sprites and swimming animations.
  • The Lost Levels will have a complete world map for the first time ever!(In SMBDX for the GBC it just recycled SMB1's world map so no that doesn't count, and the BS-X version only had the first 3 or for worlds so that doesn't count either.)
  • Warp zone has been moved to the world map.
  • FIVE new original SMB1-styled battle levels to be bundled with the episode along with the aforementioned returning You vs Boo stages.

Please note that these screenshots and GIFs were taking from multiple stages of development some of them may have graphics or features that have changed.

Screenshots are still just from the SMB1 side of the game but SMB:TLL screens and GIFs will be added soon.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show

GIFS:

PLEASE NOTE: That all future SMOD trailers and development videos will be uploaded exclusively to the SMBX 38A Discord channel.

FAQ:
Q:When will the full episode be released?
A:Soon! I have tried to set release date for it in the past, but only to disappoint the community and myself when I fail a deadline. So all I can say for now is soon. However expect another demo containing worlds 1-2 of both SMB1 and TLL bundled with the battle levels soon(er).

Q:What do you wish to deliver with the Super Mario Origins Duology?
A:I wish to deliver what is essentially the Super Mario Advance 5 that never happened, only with the perks and unlocks of being in the SMBX 38A Engine.(And without the horrendous GBA color palette and screen crunch. YUCK!)

Q:Is this your first SMBX episode?
A:Yes! I wanted to familiarize myself with the level editor of SMBX before I started an original SMBX episode, and I thought remastering a SMB game first would be a good way to do that.

Q:Why did you chose SMBX 38A as the version to release SMOD on?
A:It had the most SMB1+TLL content already bundled in the level editor, more so than 2.0 and certainly way more than 1.3, which means it was the easiest to make the remake for.

Q:Will you be releasing this for 2.0 as well?
A:Nope. However let me put it this way; if somebody wants to port my work from 38A over to 2.0 I'd be fine with it as long as they credit me for the work on the 38A version(and Nintendo for the original game!)

Q:Will you be releasing a "Super Mario Bros. Special: Remastered" as well?
A:Probably not. I have had my fill of making Mario 1-esque content for a while. However I have a proof-of-concept level 1 of Super Mario Bros Special: Remastered here: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=25565

Q:Can we expect eeeeverything from previous versions of SMB1 in SMOD?
A:No, do not expect the return of: badges from SMBDX, the high score system from SMBDX, the title screen, the post level toad house from SMBDX's challenge mode, or the Gameboy printable images(because of course not.)

Q:Where can I follow the development of this episode?
A:You'll find me on the SMBX 38A(and to a lesser extent the SMBX) discord quite a lot you can drop by and say hi and feel free to ask questions, I go by the username Iggy.

WITH HELP FROM:
Inky
YoshiCraft64
HugoMDM
Lx Xzit
Nested Ernest
Void the Bat
Valterri
AwesomeZack
FlameBoi
FyreNova
Catskart
Seta Yoshi
Alfonzo
SMP
Last edited by ItsIggy on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 33 times in total.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Super Mario Bros. Remastered for 1.4.4 & 1.4.5 DEMO OUT!

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:32 am

This is just like I remembered when I first played Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on the GBC! You gain a supporter! ^^"

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 am

Looks good! Will it somehow incorporate the VS Boo mode?

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 am

In a sense yes, all the you VS. Boo levels will be made into Battle levels where you race against each other.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario Bros. Remastered for 38A [DEMO OUT!]

Postby ItsIggy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Here is a preview of the WIP You vs Boo battle levels.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything
Pronouns: he/him

Postby TheNightingale » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Hey, interesting! I like how you are introducing new content while still keeping the game loyal to the original. Best of luck with the project man

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 pm

This Gif showcasing the "You vs. Boo" levels makes the whole 38A exclusive episode very promising imo

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Well truth be told the a-coins, Yoshi eggs, and multiplayer "You vs Boo" levels are all actually from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.Peach's castle, cutscenes, and all of the unlockables are new, nevertheless thank you Scroll! Thank you FireyPaperMario!

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 am

Q: How are you sure you can make this for both 1.4.4 AND 1.4.5?

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Cedur wrote: Q: How are you sure you can make this for both 1.4.4 AND 1.4.5?
A: That's easy, there will be play testing of the episode in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 prior to release. In my episode everything that works in 1.4.5 works in 1.4.4, but not the other way around. So far the conflicts have been fairly minimal, the only current problem in 1.4.5 is that Bowser's fireballs don't seem to move. Every other issue the 1.4.5 version has been fixed by me, or has been patched out in more recent versions of 1.4.5.

Troopa Koopa321
Banned
Flair: egg

Postby Troopa Koopa321 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm

I really want to try this out. But I’ve heard 1.4 is terrible to work with and I only use 1.3 and 2.0, I may download smbx 1.4 and try this out soon.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Troopa Koopa321 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm
I really want to try this out. But I’ve heard 1.4 is terrible to work with and I only use 1.3 and 2.0, I may download smbx 1.4 and try this out soon.
^Now that is an honor if I have ever seen one. Thank you! (Also yes, 1.4 can be a bit buggy and broken at times but for me personally the pros outweigh the cons.)
Last edited by ItsIggy on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:41 am

Just thought I would come in with another quick update with a preview of Toad's swimming animation. Script courtesy of Inky aka Super Inky.
Now you may be thinking "Iggy doesn't Toad already have a swimming animation?" and I would say "Nope! He just recycles his jumping ascend and descend sprites, and both of those sprites look the same in this project; so the script was needed. Without the script it would just look like Toad was moon jumping."

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:27 am

A video of the (pretty much) complete version of 3-1 has been uploaded and added to the OP.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks to Inky/SuperInky for finishing the swimming Toad animation script! The version you see below is the 1.4.5 version of the script, Toad will still swim in 1.4.4 but I'm afraid that version is far more buggy than the 1.4.5 version. Link and Peach versions coming soon!

Mumu03
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Mumu03 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 pm

I can't wait for Halloween to arrive because of this.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario Bros. Remastered for 1.4.5 [DEMO OUT!]

Postby ItsIggy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Mumu03 wrote:I can't wait for Halloween to arrive because of this.
Thank you! Much appreciated. :)

Also I'm afraid due to the technical and scripting restrictions of 1.4.4 I have made the executive decision the project will be moving to 1.4.5(patch 22), and will no longer be aiming for 1.4.4 compatibility.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56 pm

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I thought I would just pop in and say that SMB1: Remastered(1.4.5) is delayed for reasons beyond my control. On Saturday the 19th I fell down a flight of stairs and landed my left arm onto a railing breaking a bone. I had an operation yesterday and I will be in a cast for a few weeks, I'm expected to be in a cast until the second week of December. After that progress will return to normal for SMB1: Remastered. I thank you for your patience. I'm expected to get out of my cast on December 7th.
Last edited by ItsIggy on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mumu03
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Mumu03 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 pm

ItsIggy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56 pm
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I thought I would just pop in and say that SMB1: Remastered(1.4.5) is delayed for reasons beyond my control. On Saturday the 26th I fell down a flight of stairs and landed my left arm onto a railing breaking a bone. I had an operation yesterday and I will be in a cast for a few weeks, I'm expected to be in a cast until the second week of December. After that progress will return to normal for SMB1: Remastered. I thank you for your patience.
O U C H

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 am

Mumu03 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 pm
O U C H
Ouch indeed. While I'm not really able to contribute much to this episode right now, FyreNova(aka SpookiNova) on discord is working on it for the time being. I'll return to work once I'm out of my cast.

Return to “Projects”