[NPC Pack] Chilly's NPCs: v1.1.4 Beta Update

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home
Pronouns: he/him

[NPC Pack] Chilly's NPCs: v1.1.4 Beta Update

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm

From Mad Thwimps to Jade Bowser Statues, and Soaring Sparks to Victor, welcome to the post for my NPC pack, Chilly's NPCs!

Progress Sheet

GIFs:
Spoiler: show

NOTE: The following image is from a beta release.

DOWNLOAD:
v1.1.4 Beta 1 (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q30gXk ... sp=sharing
v1.1.3 (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/14G1hLe ... sp=sharing
v1.1.21 (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DJasFc ... sp=sharing
v1.1.21 (Mediafire): https://www.mediafire.com/file/jk087p5m ... 29.7z/file
Use 7-Zip or WinRAR to extract the files.
See here on how to use the NPC pack.
CHANGELOG:
2022-03-09 - Helmee removed from 1.1.3 over fears of being used without permission.
1.1.4 Beta 1 - Added seven NPCs, changed some coding (ESPECIALLY the Soaring Sparks'), and updated some graphics. NOTE: Most of the current NPCs are not in this beta. If you want to use them in 1.1.4, then you should either use 1.1.3 instead or wait until the final release of 1.1.4. Or...hey! You could use the 1.1.4 Beta 1 and 1.1.3 versions of the NPCs!
1.1.3 - Tileset removed, added a lot of NPCs that can be seen in the spreadsheet above, organized the NPCs. And other stuff, such as a few tweaks to Mad Maverick Thwomp's alt graphics.
1.1.21 - Fixed quite a bit of bugs. Also, re-added the tileset and the Victor Demo Level.
1.1.2 - FINALLY, ACTUAL BETA 4 SUPPORT THIS TIME! Added Red Bumpers, Rinka Blocks, Flying Rinka Blocks, Mad Maverick Thwomps, Shantae, Big Phanto, and Green Bacuras. I also made the Soaring Sparks more customizable, as well as modifying and fixing a bunch of coding. Oh, and did I mention that you can select the NPC Victor spawns now? And more stuff I don't feel like listing.
1.1.1 - Added Hornets, big Bacuras, and more NPCs. Also added effects for my Bowser Statue NPCs and updated the tileset. Oh, and modified the Bacuras' coding a bit. And the Fiery Thwimp's coding too. Not to mention, added a demo level for Victor. ...And more I haven't listed; holy crap this is one big update.
1.1.0 - Added Small Mario? and Victor. Also updated the tileset.
1.0.73 - FINALLY added the Super Magikoopa's proper effect (it used to be a normal Magikoopa). Also updated the tileset.
1.0.72 - Modified the Bacura's code a bit.
1.0.71 - Fixed the Bacura error spam.
1.0.7 - Added the Red Sea Mine and Soaring Spark.
1.0.6 - Added the Red Bacura, Super Magikoopa, Fiery Thwimp, Triple Stompin' and Rapid Stompin' Sumo Bros.
1.0.5 - Added the Emerald Bowser Statue and Bacura.
1.0.4 - Added the Recursion Chuck and Bronze Bowser Statue; added a description for the Amber Bowser Statue.
1.0.3 - Added the Supreme Bouncin' and Puntin' Chucks.
1.0.2 - Added the Obsidian Bowser Statue and a tileset.
1.0.1 - Added the Sapphire, Amethyst, and Amber Bowser Statues.
1.0.0 - Initial release with three NPCs: Mad Thwimp, Thwimp (Always Forward), and Mad Thwimp (Always Forward).
Credit me and the adapted NPC authors as seen in the offical progress sheet if you use this in my pack.
Speaking of those authors, credit to them for the coding used for this pack. Also, credit to...
-Emral for the Targeting Fishbone script file, as well as part of the Plonker script file - used the former for the Bacuras, while for the latter I used part of it for the (Big) Soaring Spark script file
-braineat for the Shantae graphics
-8lue Storm for his Elite Koopas script file - used part of it for Victor
-Redigit for the SMB2 Toad graphic
-Mosaic for the SMB2 Peach graphic
-Marina for the Pouncer graphics
-Waffle-Chan for the inspiration for Small Mario?'s alternative graphics
-Sednaiur for the Throwable Vase's break effects
-MrDoubleA for coding from his Carryable Pipes NPC pack - used part of it for the Throwable Vase
Please report any bugs you find. I'll look into them!
Last edited by Chilly14 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 am, edited 66 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Chilly's NPC Pack!

Postby Emral » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm

I should add a notice for crediting packs that are adaptations of basegame elements somewhere. Half the code in this pack is by pyro and me, just due to the nature of the pack. If someone is looking to use this pack in their levels: I recommend crediting both the author of the pack and, if you go into Credits.xls, the authors of the npcs that have been adapted.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm

I've been trying to get a bowser statue that follows you and breaths fire at the same time but unfortunately whenever I attempt it would either hop in place shooting fireballs or hop after the player like a golden bowser statue but not shoot any fireballs. Don't know why the code won't allow for both to work, wonder if you are also having that problem?

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm

TheTrueMarioMaster wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm
I've been trying to get a bowser statue that follows you and breaths fire at the same time but unfortunately whenever I attempt it would either hop in place shooting fireballs or hop after the player like a golden bowser statue but not shoot any fireballs. Don't know why the code won't allow for both to work, wonder if you are also having that problem?
I've had a different problem - the code doesn't work at all and enemies stop working properly. Also, I'm not sure if here is the right place to say this.

sammerbro
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff

Postby sammerbro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm

7-zip files can be opened with WinRAR.

TheTrueMarioMaster
Blooper
Blooper

Postby TheTrueMarioMaster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Chilly14 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm
I've had a different problem - the code doesn't work at all and enemies stop working properly. Also, I'm not sure if here is the right place to say this.
That's alright. Notice that most of the custom bowser statues you have made don't follow the player. Don't know if that is by design choice or not.

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 pm
Chilly14 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm
That's alright. Notice that most of the custom bowser statues you have made don't follow the player. Don't know if that is by design choice or not.
Design choices.

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Chilly14 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:28 pm

WOOHOO LINK UPDATED

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Bacuras are completely broken and spam errors every frame when one is placed anywhere in a level. The error is a completely generic error, so there's no indication of what's wrong whatsoever. In other words, they're completely unusable in their default state. They don't cause any errors if I delete the npcManager.setNpcSettings(config), but in this case they don't move. Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.

Killing a Chuck spawned by a Splittin' Chuck spawned from a Recursion Chuck crashes LunaLua with an invalid NPC pointer error, also causing error spam. This seems to be inconsistent, however.

Super Magikoopa dies with the regular Magikoopa's effect. Its magic also seems to despawn before it reaches the player.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.
That's the fix. If you look at the NPC-765.lua file, you will notice that there actually is no onDrawNPC function in the file. The code registers a nonexistent function and panics.

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Wiimeiser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Okay, that makes perfect sense, then. And does onDrawNPC even exist? I couldn't find it in the Handbook or on the Wiki, unless I'm missing something and it's a compound string or something...

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Chilly14 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Bacuras are completely broken and spam errors every frame when one is placed anywhere in a level. The error is a completely generic error, so there's no indication of what's wrong whatsoever. In other words, they're completely unusable in their default state. They don't cause any errors if I delete the npcManager.setNpcSettings(config), but in this case they don't move. Deleting just the npcManager.registerEvent(npcID, smwfuzzy, "onDrawNPC") line works but I'm not sure what kind of damage removing it would cause.

Killing a Chuck spawned by a Splittin' Chuck spawned from a Recursion Chuck crashes LunaLua with an invalid NPC pointer error, also causing error spam. This seems to be inconsistent, however.

Super Magikoopa dies with the regular Magikoopa's effect. Its magic also seems to despawn before it reaches the player.
Fixed the first problem, but as I can't make a custom effect, the Super Magikoopa visual problem will sadly stay for now.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Okay, that makes perfect sense, then. And does onDrawNPC even exist? I couldn't find it in the Handbook or on the Wiki, unless I'm missing something and it's a compound string or something...
npcManager provides "on... NPC" versions for pretty much any method. The difference to the regular methods is that the onTickNPC method and its siblings pass an npc reference that's already wrapped in pnpc and filtered for the IDs you registered the event for in onInitAPI. You'll find countless uses of onStartNPC, onTickNPC, onTickEndNPC and onDrawNPC in scripts/npcs/ai

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Chilly14 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Download link updated once more!

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:09 pm

I like the simplicity of these. I can see them being used for interesting scenarios, like the fireball statue placed at the top of some stairs.

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Re: [NPC Pack] Chilly's NPC Pack 1.1 Update - Victor and...Small Mario?

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Finally got the chance to update this pack to 1.1!

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Re: [NPC Pack] Chilly's NPC Pack 1.1.1 Update - Hornets and Big Bacuras and Blue Bacuras, Oh My!

Postby Chilly14 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:02 pm

NEW UPDATE! Hornets and more are here!
DOWNLOAD:

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit

Re: [NPC Pack] Chilly's NPC Pack 1.1.1 Update - Hornets and Big Bacuras and Blue Bacuras, Oh My! (Beta 4 release!)

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Coming soon...

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Re: [NPC Pack] Chilly's NPC Pack 1.1.1 Update - Hornets and Big Bacuras and Blue Bacuras, Oh My! (Beta 4 release!)

Postby Emral » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:26 pm

attack of the npc config variables

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Chilly14 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm
Coming soon...
Big phanto, some Thwomp, even bouncier Bumper, and... Shantae? I wonder... Could you be the one to make Shantae a playable character?

Return to “LunaLua”