[Desert/Temple] Grrrolgrind Temple

Forum for submissions to the Official™ SLAM Collab project!
Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

[Desert/Temple] Grrrolgrind Temple

Postby Quantumenace » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Exits: 2
Dragon coins: no
Characters: Mario/Luigi/Toad
Powerup filters: Should not have yoshi/boot but there are doors forbidding vehicles after entrances and checkpoints anyway.

These are actually some of my favorite enemies recently added to the Mario universe, even though they behave similarly to the spike balls in earlier games. They manage to come off as both loopy and menacing.

I tried to include multiple types of interactions with them. Nothing overly flashy here, but I did have to work out the technical issues with attaching layers to grabbed objects. Now I understand why I haven't seen it done before.

Also of note is that the NPC remover BGO used in a certain area of this level destroys powerups dropped from the reserve box as of the 1.1 devkit update.

Screens:
Spoiler: show
Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hez7hlrnjb4ys ... e.zip?dl=0

Edit: Updated on 7/11. Changes:
-Changed the color of some sizables at the entrance and exit to make it more clear you can pass through them
-The semisolid spikes in the vertical scrolling section are moved down 2 pixels and drawn manually at their original position, so they are more visible if they damage you while you're standing on sand
-Reduced the number of blocks slightly in the vertical scrolling section for performance by replacing them with larger tiled blocks
-Increased the rate at which the lava speed adjusts based on how close you are
-Tried to fix an issue at the entrance where the Grrrol could randomly collide with the square block while rolling up the slope block
-Fixed one of the sizables that was a pixel too large in the editor, though the game appears to fix those anyway
Last edited by Quantumenace on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Re: [Desert/Temple] Grrrolgrind Temple

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 am

I've tried the level and got stuck here. Maybe you've forgot something?
EDIT: Looks like an NPC didn't spawn there... Dunno why.
Anyway, I found this level really creative, maybe just tone down the lava's speed
Last edited by RudeGuy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 am

This level's really clever! A few things though:
The spikes in the quicksand upwards scrolling section hurt you when you're standing above them (which I mean I'm not sure is fixable in a good way).
The lava section randomly starting to scroll slower at a certain point threw me off
The aesthetic's a bit jank
The part where you're carrying/blocking the grrrols below you lasts a bit too long maybe?
And also maybe the red rupees could be dragon coins instead?

Still, really cool level

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 am

I agree with sanct on the point that the sizeable tile should probably be darkened a bit so that it's recognizable as a sizeable tile.
Aside from that my only point of criticism is that, due to the speed at which the player must travel throughout the level in order to keep up with the grrrols, I would recommend restricting the player to be Toad throughout the entire level.
Besides that, excellent.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 pm

RudeGuy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 am
I've tried the level and got stuck here. Maybe you've forgot something?
EDIT: Looks like an NPC didn't spawn there... Dunno why.
Anyway, I found this level really creative, maybe just tone down the lava's speed
That's very weird, I've never had that happen. The NPC is loaded further to the right so the attached blocks are later in the array than the stationary ones, otherwise the collision acts weird. It is supposed to set the NPC's position and spawn position to the left at onStart. I might need help figuring out what went wrong.

This is the position the NPC loads at:
That's inside a block, so I don't know where it would end up if it actually spawned there. Did you enter the room from the previous one or respawn at a checkpoint? Was there an NPC or its attached layer when you went further right?
Sancles-Chan wrote: This level's really clever! A few things though:
The spikes in the quicksand upwards scrolling section hurt you when you're standing above them (which I mean I'm not sure is fixable in a good way).
The lava section randomly starting to scroll slower at a certain point threw me off
The aesthetic's a bit jank
The part where you're carrying/blocking the grrrols below you lasts a bit too long maybe?
And also maybe the red rupees could be dragon coins instead?

Still, really cool level
For the spikes, I might be able to draw them manually in that section so they're 2 pixels higher or something.
The lava rubberbands like the chomp in Yoshi's Island. I could make its speed adjust faster so there's less lag between getting too close and it slowing down.
There are only 3 red rupees, and one of them is in a place where many people won't look. I can only think of one more place to put one.
Enjl wrote: I agree with sanct on the point that the sizeable tile should probably be darkened a bit so that it's recognizable as a sizeable tile.
Aside from that my only point of criticism is that, due to the speed at which the player must travel throughout the level in order to keep up with the grrrols, I would recommend restricting the player to be Toad throughout the entire level.
Besides that, excellent.
Which sizable tile to be specific? The normal colored one at the entrance and exit?
Yeah, I considered having it be Toad only but wanted to keep the flexibility if possible. I don't have trouble with Mario and it's doable with Luigi but it's definitely worth considering.

Thanks all!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am

Yes, the sizeables at the entrance in particular. Also, I forget if I ever gave Sanct the code for it, but it might be worth adjusting spawn rules project-wide in order to prevent despawns like that.

Code: Select all

do
		local cx = camera.x
		local cy = camera.y
		for k,v in ipairs(NPC.getIntersecting(cx - 200, cy - 200, cx + 1000, cy + 800)) do
			local t = v:mem(0x12A, FIELD_WORD)
			if t > 0 then
				v:mem(0x12A, FIELD_WORD, math.max(t, 2))
			end
		end
	end

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm

It isn't that, I already have code for that. If you throw it offscreen it will respawn even if the respawn point is onscreen. I think the spawn point got screwed up somehow.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy

Postby RudeGuy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Quantumenace wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 pm
That's very weird, I've never had that happen. The NPC is loaded further to the right so the attached blocks are later in the array than the stationary ones, otherwise the collision acts weird. It is supposed to set the NPC's position and spawn position to the left at onStart. I might need help figuring out what went wrong.
This is the position the NPC loads at:
That's inside a block, so I don't know where it would end up if it actually spawned there. Did you enter the room from the previous one or respawn at a checkpoint? Was there an NPC or its attached layer when you went further right?
It's funny cause it happens constantly with me. i don't know what's the source, it always despawns no matter what I do and so far it only spawned right one time. (that said, it does actually spawn if I move it to its supposed position)

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 pm

RudeGuy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm
It's funny cause it happens constantly with me. i don't know what's the source, it always despawns no matter what I do and so far it only spawned right one time. (that said, it does actually spawn if I move it to its supposed position)
But where does it end up? The attached layer should be visible if it is despawned. Is the attached layer visible anywhere?

Edit: The grab block in the boss room uses a similar setup to load to the right, does that ever spawn wrong?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit: This good for you Enjl?
I'd still like some contrast between that and the darker ones. Any other places they cause issues besides the exit? If I change the semisolid ones above doors and in the pillars here, I'd have to change the color of the pillars too.

Sanct, do you think it should be limited to Toad?

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:10 am

Quantumenace wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 pm
But where does it end up? The attached layer should be visible if it is despawned. Is the attached layer visible anywhere?

Edit: The grab block in the boss room uses a similar setup to load to the right, does that ever spawn wrong?

Is anyone else having this problem?
Oh sorry. It spawns right after the star block, like this:
That said.. forget about it. It seems like this was a bug on my part. I've reinstalled SMBX2 and it worked perfectly.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 am

That sizeable colour ought to suffice, thanks.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 pm

The level has been updated. The allowed characters have not been changed; please give your thoughts on whether it should be limited to Toad.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Can you please give some hint inside the level on how to get into the entry door? I was almost about to say "I have no clue please tell me" until I figured it out.

More importantly, though

I believe I can't jump high enough here?

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

You don't need to jump that high. Try something else.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 am

YEAH I WAS BEING REALLY DUMB. I did it, this was fun lol

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Changes to Grrrol collision broke the level. I was kind of expecting that to happen, but I had more been expecting them to turn around when hitting blocks instead of this.

I have an update mostly ready that I haven't posted yet.

It scripts them to hit blocks underneath them again, and adds a few Kirby blocks to the opening section to show this happens. My only concern is that it might cause confusion when they don't behave the same in other levels.

It also prevents the NPC remover from destroying dropped reserve powerups by making them friendly while in that area, but the player can't grab them during this time. I'd prefer that the devkit prevent this problem by adding "v:mem(0x138,FIELD_WORD) ~= 2" as a condition after mem 0x12A to exclude dropped powerups from being destroyed unless it's something other levels use. And to remove pnpc and pblock, I had to do it myself to stop that error message.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Postby SuperAlex » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi. Your level is amazing, When I am entering section 4 I get an error where it says that block 751 cannot be seen.

Code: Select all

function drawSection4SpikeBlocks() --draw semisolid spikes 2 pixels above actual position to reduce chances of getting hit on landing when it looks safe
	if not hasInitS4Block then
		hasInitS4Block=true
		Graphics.sprites.block[751].img=Graphics.loadImage("blank.png")
	end
	local cam=Camera.get()[1]
	for i,v in ipairs(Block.getIntersecting(-119936,cam.y-32,-119264,cam.y+600)) do
		if v.id==751 then
			Graphics.drawImageToSceneWP(semisolidSpikeImg, v.x, v.y-2, -65)
		end
	end
end
At least where is the error please

Return to “SLAM”