what's your best Mario edit level Game ?

This is the place for video games!
Erick hyperstar
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he

Re: what's your best Mario edit level Game ?

Postby Erick hyperstar » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:27 pm

why smbx2 removed the Auto painting tool that allow you draw blocks in order like mario maker and locked the editor fps scrolling to 30? :(

Added in 3 minutes 19 seconds:
i don't like sm4j because the game is very glitchy and bad to create levels (in my opinion) and the editor animations it's not very good and the enemies does not have properties to configure or hold mouse in enemie to have properties

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:44 am

Erick hyperstar wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:31 pm
why smbx2 removed the Auto painting tool that allow you draw blocks in order like mario maker and locked the editor fps scrolling to 30? :(

Added in 3 minutes 19 seconds:
i don't like sm4j because the game is very glitchy and bad to create levels (in my opinion) and the editor animations it's not very good and the enemies does not have properties to configure or hold mouse in enemie to have properties
SMBX never had an Auto Painting tool. It's not that hard to just place the blocks separately though.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm

SM4J is no longer a buggy mess like two years ago, I have been playing it lately and trust me, it's really nice. The content most people create is a bit meh, but you can do a lot of cool stuff in the editor, I hope more talented designers get into it. Right now it has a discord server which is much more active than SMBX's. But it's a spanish-speaking community.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:43 am

SMBX and all its versions are the best level editors IMO, as they give a lot of people more control over what kinds of scenarios and levels they could make, using graphics, custom NPCs, and scripting tools like LunaLUA (X2) and TeaScript (SMBX38A).

CaptainMonochrome
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: SMW sprites rock!

Postby CaptainMonochrome » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:25 pm

I'd honestly say SMBX, for sure. Mari0 and SMM2 are both fun, but I'd say that I don't really like them as much for different reasons.

Mari0 is pretty powerful, especially if you use Alesan99's Entities, but, last I checked, its community is mostly dead. Plus, the physics absolutely suck. SMB1 physics are really just not fun to play with nor design around, at all.

SMM2 is a pretty great engine, what with Game Styles being a thing and with the physics being excellent, but it's just so... limited in comparison to SMBX. Outside of what Nintendo allows you to do with it, you're basically on your own. There isn't really any good way to make your level stand out aside from being well-designed. Not that it matters, of course, since it's just going to get shoved under the bus in favor of eye candy speedrun level #2401.

On another note, there's the Super Mario Maker World Engine. It's a pretty cool remake of SMM2, but I can't really get involved in its community, since it speaks Spanish.

While me from a week ago would say that Super Mario Maker 2 is the way to go, now that I'm learning LunaLua, there's no turning back. SMBX truly is the ultimate Mario creation experience, and I think that that title is here to stay.

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ShadowXeldron » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Note that I prefer to play levels rather than make them because I'm awful at making levels.

I won't be mentioning SMBX in this list because 1. this is literally a forum about SMBX, and 2. there is no concrete definition between SMBX. It's a choice between a lack of features or having to put up with Lua errors. Also, SMBX-38A technically isn't SMBX and it should be treated as a separate engine. That thing really needs a rebrand.

Mario Maker 2 actually kind of grew on me recently. It's a huge upgrade from the first game and has a lot of charm. I definitely enjoyed Mario Maker 1, although it is definitely limited. I still have absolutely no reason why the first game got a 3DS port.

Sonic Boll, contrary to the name, is more about Mario than Sonic. People seem to be more interested in making skin mods for that game than they are levels. Probably because the editor is a bit clunky and limited. While it doesn't really scratch that crossover itch, the campaign is enjoyable.

Super Mario 127 is pretty fun! It plays unlike many other games and the physics are good. They're even nice enough to provide a Linux version, which is good because Wine is an absolute pain to use. I know the game is meant to be a sequel to the flash game Super Mario 63, but at this point there's only an editor so I'm treating it as such.

Super Mario Unimaker seemed good, especially the graphics, but I don't think it's been updated in some time. Also, for SOME REASON X is jump and Z is run. While this is also the case with Sonic Boll, at least you can change it there.

I've never used Mari0's level editor and never heard of this SM4J thing.

Guih48
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Linux :-)
Pronouns: he

Postby Guih48 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm generally using Hello's Mario games, the most often the Mario Editor and for worlds the old SMB Game Master. In browser (I'm using Firefox. ;) ) The Super Mario Flash 1 or 2 is fine, but 3 is the best (The originals, I hate modificated ones!!! :? ), but because Flash were killed by Adobe, I use Luigibonus's Super Mario Construct (currently the newest anniversay edition). But of course, more often than any of theese I use SMBX, especially my favourite is still smbx38a because it's editor is more classic and organized than PGE's editor Yes I know it is now called Moondust! but much more functional than 1.3 and probanly than PGE Editor in some cases (what a handful thing is that autotiling :D ) , and the new editor for TheXTech, that now being made is looks awersome too 8-) .

Raymunator
Rex
Rex
Flair: I like birds.
Pronouns: he/them

Postby Raymunator » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:16 pm

SMBX and SMM2, obviously. SMBX can basically do anything thanks to 2.0's Lua feature and 38A, although not as robust, does still have some solid stuff going for it like the more expansive powerup catalog. SMM2, on the other hand, while a bit more limited, still has some cool features like Night mode, the revamped P Balloon for SMW, and the fun stuff like being able to put basically anything inside of a ? block or a Koopa clown car. It's also the only way to make stages in the style of NSMB if you aren't familiarized with ROM hacking, and the SM3DW theme is also really cool. Honestly, there isn't that many games or programs that can compare, they're just that good, and I can't wait to see what Beta 5 will have in store for us.

Aside from those, Hello Mario engine and it's derivatives like Mario Editor are pretty cool as well, though the physics feel a bit off at times, most notably with Raccoon Mario's flight. SM4J is also a thing, though it's been a while since I last played it.

Finally, there's the Super Mario Flash games. Those are really old and janky, and SMF2 in particular is a bit redundant nowadays given that it's basically just a Flash version of Super Mario World, but I like to sometimes just hop on those games and do a bunch of crazy shit just for the sake of it.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:06 am

My favorite Mario edit games are SMBX2 (obviously) and Super Mario Maker. I used to also dabble in Mario Builder a bit, but that editor has really not aged well with it's clunky interface and it scrolling in the editor even if it's minimized.

Return to “Video Games”