Super Linguini And Macaroni - BETA 4 DEVKIT UPDATE! (v1.1.2)

Forum for submissions to the Official™ SLAM Collab project!
Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Super Linguini And Macaroni - BETA 4 DEVKIT UPDATE! (v1.1.2)

Postby Valentine » Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm

The public SMBX2 community project about nothing in particular

Welcome to the project thread for Super Linguini And Macaroni, or as it will be referred to from now on SLAM. This is a project being led by me with the goal of increasing the amount of creative levels in the SMBX community, anybody is welcome to submit levels to it and even if they're not accepted, feedback will be given for them to improve their design in the future.

There is currently no planned world theming, order or level count, currently the first priority is just to get levels done and see what we'll do from there. There is no real story either, nor any stylistic limitations.
There is a devkit for you to use when creating levels which includes several new blocks and BGOs, each with specific functionality which caters to making interesting gameplay

The devkit can be downloaded here *(current version v1.1.2)
It is likely that it will be updated later on, I will be announcing it on this thread whenever it gets updated, so if you're making a level and it gets updated please re-download it!

Here's a list of what the devkit contains:
ImageImageImageImage - Semi-Solid Spikes: These blocks hurt the player from the top, but you're able to jump through the bottom of them.
ImageImageImageImage - Boost Blocks: When stepping on these blocks you will go in the direction of the arrow until you hit a wall or start climbing.
ImageImage - YI Platform Blocks: Hitting one of these from below will spawn a platform which either moves left to right or up and down, the color of the block determines which type you'll get.
Image - Nullifier: A BGO which uses the nullifier.lua API from the LunaLua subforum but without the need for you to set it up, invisible in-game.
Image - NPC Remover: This BGO will kill any NPC which comes in contact with it.
Image - Spawnzone: This sizable will keep any npcs which are overlapping it spawned while the player is also overlapping it.

Misc. Features:
*The player filter blocks have been turned into player pass-through blocks for every playable which is allowed.
*A test level is included with the devkit for you to test out all the new additions.
*The !blockvariants folder for all the different variations of the new blocks, meant to be used like regular custom graphics.

Levels should adhere to these guidelines, as these are some important notes about the episode itself:
-The level must be compatible with the devkit
-When making custom resources in the user-defined fields, start at the ID of 801. (example: npc-801)
-If your level has dragon coins, it must have exactly 5
-You can have a boss in your level, however, bosses at the end of the world are going to be their own levels.
-You can request powerup filters in your level thread (Tier 3 power-ups will always be filtered out)
-You can request a character filter for any character (or characters) of your choosing in your level thread. The characters allowed are Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Link, Wario and Uncle Broadsword. The characters which are globally available to play as in every level (which doesn't filter them out), are Mario, Luigi and Toad. The others are to be used only in levels designed for them.
-Don't make your level too long, regardless of the amount of checkpoints.

In addition to those, here are some more important objects of notice

The collectibles which will be used in this game for the purpose of unlocking are star coins, resprited to be dragon coins, if you choose to put them in your level you must have exactly 5 of them, otherwise they aren't a required thing to add to your level.

In addition to the dragon coins, we will be using coins as a currency for shops in the game, 1-UPs give out 100 coins and 3-UP moons give out 250 coins, lives are infinite and not shown in the HUD.

The game will be using the new switch palaces added in the maglx3 build, currently there is no plan for what they're specifically be used for, but you are allowed to place switches in your levels, I don't recommend making them required to get a secret exit or anything, but currently discussion about this hasn't really begun and I'm open to suggestions as to how to implement them.

Please do not submit switch palaces yet, I will most likely be handling them at a request-from-me only basis.

You are welcome to try to design the ending castles of any of the worlds, however do keep in mind that there is no set number of worlds planned, and big boss castles are going to all have completely custom lua bosses separate from their level file, and if you intend to make a boss castle, I would expect you to be able to do most of that work yourself.

Other than that, there are no real limitations other than the fact, that obviously there won't be that many of these so I don't want everyone trying to make boss castles for this!

This section concerns all the progress publically available of the game so far, currently it's mostly just gonna be screenshots, but later it might include some other things. (Obviously there's not gonna be much here yet, but hopefully that won't be for that long)
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Here's the list of all currently submitted levels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Other things of note that I couldn't fit into their own section!
Discord Link: https://discord.gg/4NvduUa

The world map will be handled later on, when we have a reasonable amount of levels ready, there are currently no plans for it.

Other potential questions I want to possibly preempt:
Q- What if I want to make a level but the gimmick I have in mind has something lua related but I don't know how to do lua?
A- I'll try to help everyone with the code for their levels at all time, so if you have some ideas and I can do them in a reasonable amount of time, I will try to help you as much as possible.

Q- Is there a place to plan things for this game that is not this thread?
A- Currently, this is the only place meant for discussion of SLAM, but it is possible that in the future, if there is enough interest, I might make a discord server

Q- Can I use the devkit assets outside of SLAM?
A- I would prefer if you wouldn't use the assets from the devkit before the game releases, it's possible that they still have some bugs and generally I would like it if this game had something unique to it at release.

Q- Can I see all the levels submitted to this anywhere?
A- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Q- Can I submit levels which I've already released beforehand, or levels which I have submitted to contests such as MAGLX3?
A- The answer is no unless I explicitly state otherwise on a per-level basis
this Q&A thing will be updated as answers may potentially change and new questions come up
Last edited by Valentine on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 17 times in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: Super Linguini And Macaroni - Public Community Project

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm

That last Q&A was a massive toll to a lot of people I bet. Either way, I do look forward to what people come up with.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm
That last Q&A was a massive toll to a lot of people I bet. Either way, I do look forward to what people come up with.
You managed to post this in like a minute after I made the thread, before I did a couple of edits.

He's talking about the third Q&A point, that's the one which was last at the time.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm
You managed to post this in like a minute after I made the thread, before I did a couple of edits.

He's talking about the third Q&A point, that's the one which was last at the time.
Yeah, that is my bad. I did not account for the fact there would be more while I was skimming and saw that. It really is my bad.

MmmMario
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Yeet

Re: Super Linguini And Macaroni - Public Community Collab Project

Postby MmmMario » Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Aren't boost blocks just conveyor belts?

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm

MmmMario wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm
You don't stop until you hit a wall, no matter what surface you're on, basically turns it into an automatic runner.

MmmMario
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Yeet

Postby MmmMario » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Sancles-Chan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm
MmmMario wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm
You don't stop until you hit a wall, no matter what surface you're on, basically turns it into an automatic runner.
Does it interact with NPCs too?

KBorg64
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: any/all

Postby KBorg64 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:09 am

Looks interesting enough. I may make some simple level(s), focusing mainly on improving my level design skills.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 am

I Don't have nothing better to do. COF COF MINION'S MISFORTUNE KOOPA KONQUEST COF COF

why not ?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:31 am

If Sanct is okay with it, I can record submitted levels, though I would need to get his word on weather it is okay or not as well as guidelines to doing as such.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:48 am

Hmm 2 days ago I announced my maglx3 collab project in my server and today another maglx3 collab project got announced hmm... I can join if I have the time to do so, gotta prove my worth as a level creator so more people will play my levels.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:52 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:48 am
Hmm 2 days ago I announced my maglx3 collab project in my server and today another maglx3 collab project got announced hmm... I can join if I have the time to do so, gotta prove my worth as a level creator so more people will play my levels.
I mean, Sanct announced this more than two days ago. At least I saw it over two days ago.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:05 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:52 am
Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:48 am
I mean, Sanct announced this more than two days ago. At least I saw it over two days ago.
Oh, I didn't know that.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Sat May 04, 2019 3:07 am

Stickied! This is, like, an official thing. Woohoo. In any case, if you hadn't gathered from the screenshots I am absolutely in and very excited to see what others can do for this! Also if Sanct doesn't finish it I will steal his post and then his soul and make sure this one sticks c:

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:22 am

What are the requirements to stick something?

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:22 am
Effectively it boils down to us (your friendly neighborhood staff team) liking a concept that engages with the community somehow enough to sticky it. We haven't had a big community collab in a while so we figured it'd be fun!

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:57 am

Waddle wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:26 am
Eri7 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:22 am
Effectively it boils down to us (your friendly neighborhood staff team) liking a concept that engages with the community somehow enough to sticky it. We haven't had a big community collab in a while so we figured it'd be fun!
Ah makes sense, I hope I can find a way too to make my future collab be "big" and more "community based" as well.

55jedat555
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: flare

Postby 55jedat555 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:05 am

I just wanna point out that switch palaces don't work properly in the MAGLX3 build (they get un-pressed when the player dies after pressing one), but then again this isn't gonna be a problem if the project is later transferred to beta 4.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am

55jedat555 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:05 am
I just wanna point out that switch palaces don't work properly in the MAGLX3 build (they get un-pressed when the player dies after pressing one), but then again this isn't gonna be a problem if the project is later transferred to beta 4.
This project is unlikely to release before beta 4, and as far as I remember, fixing that is a single line change in the lua, so I could pull off some workarounds probably
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:31 am
If Sanct is okay with it, I can record submitted levels, though I would need to get his word on weather it is okay or not as well as guidelines to doing as such.
We can worry about that later, for now it's just about the levels being submitted at all

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat May 04, 2019 8:34 am

Yeah let's not release episodes on the MAGLX3 build please.

Return to “SLAM”