Level Contest 7 - Topic 2 - THE WINNER

Official community level contests.
Ignoritus
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Level Contest 7 - Topic 2 - THE WINNER

Postby Ignoritus » Sun May 18, 2014 11:09 am

castlewars wrote: No. Not necessarily. I know you're banned, but you can't just say that if a level contains mammoths, then it's deemed a joke. Go play other joke levels such as Block Bollocks and you'll see. I thought that it was a joke because of the music, and it's not just any old music - it's a cover by Valtteri. This means that you must have tried to mock him because of the fact that it is Valtteri's cover and the quality of the MP3 you used.
And here inlies your problem: who cares if a level is a joke or not? It's not relevant to your review or scoring in the slightest as it does not affect gameplay in the slightest.
castlewars wrote: I am not the worst SMBX player, and I am not a dumbass. It's actually true. Have you even tested your level? I kicked it at a row of blocks and the slope below it meant that the shells rebounded and would be hard to dodge due to the slopes around there and the other NPCs.
He called you a dumbass because you expressed belief that a challenging situation in a platforming level is a bad thing. You can't accuse him of not testing his level or of bad NPC placement just because it's too hard for you.

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am

castlewars wrote: I am not the worst SMBX player, and I am not a dumbass. It's actually true. Have you even tested your level? I kicked it at a row of blocks and the slope below it meant that the shells rebounded and would be hard to dodge due to the slopes around there and the other NPCs.
"This is an unfair hit to the player."
"This shell can ricochet off the pipe and hit the player, resulting in unfair damage"

This game is a platformer. There are supposed to be hazards. That's part of the game. What would be the point of playing it if there was no challenge?

momjosh12
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby momjosh12 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 am

wow thats cool

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

Ignoritus wrote:You can't accuse him of not testing his level or of bad NPC placement just because it's too hard for you.
No, but it always happens, or that it's usually a near miss. Play Frozen Hills and find out when you kick a shell.

Mabel
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Mabel » Sun May 18, 2014 12:02 pm

castlewars wrote:I am not the worst SMBX player, and I am not a dumbass. It's actually true. Have you even tested your level? I kicked it at a row of blocks and the slope below it meant that the shells rebounded and would be hard to dodge due to the slopes around there and the other NPCs.
This is the best thing Ive read all week.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun May 18, 2014 12:02 pm

But i just showed a video :(

Wait is it just me or did the topic turn into a let's argue about a level?

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sun May 18, 2014 1:20 pm

GrätselBüchner wrote:Wait is it just me or did the topic turn into a let's argue about a level?
Yes, it does.

MistakesWereMade
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sun May 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Is everyone ignoring the fact that he HAS to kick the shell in order for it to move?

it's not unfair when you are fucking activating the trap

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm

There are a lot of ways to get hit by a shell unfairly, and there are also a lot of ways to place a shell in a such unfair way that even the most skilled players can't dodge. I wouldn't make fun of someone because he couldn't dodge a shell, because I doubt you were never hit by one. You also can't judge castlewars' complaint when you don't know the situation or the level.

Megar
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Megar » Mon May 19, 2014 1:26 am

it's his fault for kicking the shell in the first place tho

deadfish

Postby deadfish » Mon May 19, 2014 11:31 am

Could also be the level maker's fault tho. Maybe it's placed so that if yo kick it it'll be impossible to dodge. Or not.
Only those who've played the level would know, so this is pointless. Mooooooooooth!

Cheez

Postby Cheez » Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah, it really depends on the layout of the level. Sure, you have to kick a shell to get it moving, but you also have to kick a shell to use it as a weapon. It's not really nice for a level to punish people who like to use shells as weapons.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Mon May 19, 2014 2:51 pm

The only way to completely avoid this problem would be to design a level so that there's nothing for the shell to bounce off of ever, except perhaps walls inside pits. That would skyrocket the amount of limitations placed on designers of any kind of level, and all for something easily preventable by the player.

It's common sense that if you send a shell speeding ahead of you, there's a strong likelihood that it's going to bounce back. While it can be difficult to dodge depending on slopes and whatnot, that's something you have to try and be ready for if you're going to take the risk. It's only one hit of damage in the end, and it happened because something went wrong that you as the player initiated yourself.
Cheez wrote:Yeah, it really depends on the layout of the level. Sure, you have to kick a shell to get it moving, but you also have to kick a shell to use it as a weapon. It's not really nice for a level to punish people who like to use shells as weapons.
The level isn't really punishing the player, it just happens to have Koopa shells, slopes, and walls at the same time. You don't have to kick it to use it as a weapon; you can avoid the risk entirely by running with a shell in your hand, then colliding with an enemy to cancel both it and the shell out. You can also hit a block on the ground without kicking it by holding the shell partway inside of it and letting go.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 pm

We are going to go off-topic. A bit.

Cheez

Postby Cheez » Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Chad wrote:The only way to completely avoid this problem would be to design a level so that there's nothing for the shell to bounce off of ever, except perhaps walls inside pits. That would skyrocket the amount of limitations placed on designers of any kind of level, and all for something easily preventable by the player.

It's common sense that if you send a shell speeding ahead of you, there's a strong likelihood that it's going to bounce back. While it can be difficult to dodge depending on slopes and whatnot, that's something you have to try and be ready for if you're going to take the risk. It's only one hit of damage in the end, and it happened because something went wrong that you as the player initiated yourself.
For the most part, I agree. I don't tend to view kicking a koopa shell as inherently risky or dangerous though, and if there are lots of low ceilings around, it becomes a little bit more questionable to let players set themselves up for a trap if they're feeling carefree. Even then though, it still shouldn't be anything more than a minor nitpick, and I'm going to give castlewars the benefit of the doubt here and assume/hope that's what it was.
(like I said though, depending on the layout, it might not even be such a minor flaw in the first place.)
Chad wrote:
Cheez wrote:Yeah, it really depends on the layout of the level. Sure, you have to kick a shell to get it moving, but you also have to kick a shell to use it as a weapon. It's not really nice for a level to punish people who like to use shells as weapons.
The level isn't really punishing the player, it just happens to have Koopa shells, slopes, and walls at the same time. You don't have to kick it to use it as a weapon; you can avoid the risk entirely by running with a shell in your hand, then colliding with an enemy to cancel both it and the shell out. You can also hit a block on the ground without kicking it by holding the shell partway inside of it and letting go.
booooring~ (you are right, though, I just prefer sending them off instead sometimes. Just playstyle differences, I guess, and the situations where I'd count a rebounding shell's trajectory as a flaw in someone's level are extremely rare)

...It's fine to go a little off-topic, right? I like discussing things.

Tango
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Tango » Mon May 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Congratulations for the winners! Mainly to Aces!

Djukation
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Djukation » Tue May 20, 2014 10:26 am

I was just wondering, because I'm not informed about it, when is the episode coming out? Is any date confirmed for the release or you guys are unsure when it's gonna be finished?

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Tue May 20, 2014 10:27 am

Djuka995 wrote:I was just wondering, because I'm not informed about it, when is the episode coming out? Is any date confirmed for the release or you guys are unsure when it's gonna be finished?
31st of May according to Quill.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue May 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Firespike33 wrote:What I’m getting to is that it’s creepy, and I’m taking a point off.
Firespike33 wrote:I wasn't in love with this effect, but you get points for originality and creepiness.
Please reconcile these two statements.

Sincerely,
Imaynotbehere4long

Getlucky12341
Rex
Rex

Postby Getlucky12341 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Valtteri wrote:
Djuka995 wrote:I was just wondering, because I'm not informed about it, when is the episode coming out? Is any date confirmed for the release or you guys are unsure when it's gonna be finished?
31st of May according to Quill.
That's tonight!
-Posted by Getlucky12341 in 11 days.

Return to “Level Contests”