The Second Adventure of The Great Star Hunting (SMBX 1.4.4)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
NewSaturn
Rex
Rex
Flair: I play/create things in SMBX since 2012!

The Second Adventure of The Great Star Hunting (SMBX 1.4.4)

Postby NewSaturn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Today, I'm so excited to post my brand new (and first) episode called "The Second Adventure of The Great Star Hunting" ! :D

I'm warning you right now about my English that isn't great because I'm French but I'm sure you will understand me especially when I put signs and message boxes in my game. :roll:

My SMBX episode is supposed to be played for SMBX 1.4.4 by 38A because I used mechanisms, scripts and Power-Ups from 1.4 versions of SMBX so you have to play this game in this version, it's very important.

Moreover, I used for this game Hub Worlds and not a classic SMW or SMB3 Classic Map. There are in the whole game 200 Stars divided in 9 worlds for a total of 60 levels (exactly 61 levels because the last level is composed of 2 parts so 2 levels in one), yeah, such pretty long ! :) (I calculated the average time for each levels done by 100% and the total played time comes to 9 hours and 30 minutes)

Now, I will tell you the story of my project and the explanation of its name.

The name :

The Second Adventure of The Great Star Hunting is a sequel-like of Super Mario Star Expedition made by Chad in 2011/2012. Don't worry, I already told that choice of making a kind of sequel of his original game (in May 2017 because I started this project since 2 years now) and he wanted to me to change the name of my project called at the beginnings, "Super Mario Star Expedition 2" and he agreed that I should be inspired by his game if it could help me and this was the case : if you played Chad's episode, you will find a lot of references, allusions and similarities in my game even though there are a lot of differences because I entirely made my episode by myself and tried to make unique and original levels (names, customs graphics and musics, some mechanisms, ...). There are more informations about the name that I will explain you in the story. ;)

Story :

Mario (the only one playable in my game) begins his quest into the Star Palace Place (SPP) (the main Hub of the game) which leads to all worlds of the Star Constellation. He decides to go to Peach's Castle accessible from the SPP and talks to Peach who announce to him that Bowser's Army stole once again the Stars of the SPP but we cannot know at this moment why he did that this time but we will learn that later during the episode. Peach explains to Mario about the absence of Luigi and Toad (they have been kidnapped by Bowser) and gives the only single Star she kept during the time where Bowser was about to steal every Star. In this way, Mario's duty consists in gathering the 200 Stars of the SPP so as to restore the Star Constellation as well as saving Luigi and Toad ! We can say that "Hunting" in the name is a good word to make the number of Stars evident. :lol:

For each classic level, there are 3 Stars to collect. There is also one single Star hidden in every Hub world, one Star in Peach's Castle and one Star in the main Hub world (the SPP). However, there are 4 Stars for last levels of each world and the number of levels is different for every world.

For all levels, you have the possibility to return to the Hub world from the midpoint and the beginning of each level.

Screenshots :

The Star Palace Place : Image

Level 1-4 : Image

Level 2-1 : Image

Hub of the World 3 : Image

Level 4-3 : Image

Level 5-5 : Image

Hub of the World 6 : Image

Level 7-6 : Image

Hub of the World 8 : Image

Level 9-2 : Image

Download link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/1elbeyuh2 ... g.rar/file (New Update! Check it out!)

I hope you'll enjoy this very long episode which I have been working for tens of hours. :D I'm so proud of the result so don't hesitate to post comments or reviews about this game, it will be makes me happy ! :)

Further information :

- This episode isn't made to be playable with 2 players even if I put the second player (Luigi) for every level because he has been kidnapped.

- When you start the game, you are supposed to go to Peach's Castle by taking a door just at the left of where you spawn because it's the prologue of the game (Yeah, I know I could put a number of star required to go to the first world but I forgot to make that and I can't modify the warp to the first world hub because all warps of the game are linked mutually).

- It is possible that some Stars don't appear on the screen for some reason so if it happens, you will have to leave the screen where the Star is supposed to be and then come back immediately to the place where the Star is.

- It is possible that some levels have musics with differences about the sound so I apologize for that (a level with one loud soundtrack with an other music with low sound for instance but not all the time).

- I put some scripts for NPCs especially for levels from World 8 and 9 and I'm hoping it will works for your SMBX game but it works for me so I think it will be good for you.

- SMW Red Arrow Signs (background-29) mean the path to take in order to reach the end of each level, so if you have seen an another path, it is recommended to take a look of what's goin'on in this way. :)

- If you see coins in the air at the bottom of the screen but you don't see any ground or tiles, you can safely jump to these coins and it means there are any pit under the coins.

- Sometimes, you have to spin jump on SMW Chain Saws (npc-179) to progress through the levels so don't be surprised to do this kind of jump.

- Unfortunately, the Bosses of the level 6-7 and 8-8 can get killed by themselves when they walk or jump on moving tiles so I count on you to play fairly by killing them not by waiting until they die by themselves !

- In the level 8-1, there is a bubble sound when you start the level at the beginning and I don't know how to fix that so don't pay attention to this sound that is just not supposed to be here (Perhaps I put too many scripts in this level).

- There is a quizz mini-game in this episode and some questions/answers can evolve or change because of new Mario games coming later so this quizz works at the release date of my game.

- I forgot to put personal credits at the end of this episode but nevermind, you will find credits just below these last information. ;)

- I still have one single problem about something in my episode that I didn't manage to solve : 95% of my levels have a SMW Checkpoint in a different section from where Mario begins and if you decide to return to the Hub world from the checkpoint (or if you finish a level) and then, come back directly to the level from the Hub, you will die and return to the Checkpoint. :x (And not to the start of the level) It is a problem because if you didn't find or forgot 1 or 2 Stars in a level, you will first die and you will have to take the reverse path of the level if you forgot the first Star for example and you don't have the possibility for some levels to return to the beginning from the Checkpoint ... The only solution about that is to start an another level and play it, and then come back to the previous level where you didn't find some Stars in order to avoid useless deaths and return trips. (I'm really sorry for that ... :( )

- Lastly, it is possible that the levels from World 1, 2 and 3 have similar simple mechanisms (locked warps, switchs and sometimes return trips, not enough layers and events, ect ...) because they have been made in 2017 and at this time I didn't have good editor skills but don't worry, they are still good especially last levels even if they are tricky and tough ! ;)

Credits :

The creator of this game : NewSaturn (Myself)

Custom graphics that I've chosen for my episode from : bossedit8, Chad, Valterri, reghrhre, Shadow_Flame, Shinbison-Kof, mochila, h2643, AquariusGamer, Cogniton, as202198, Wraith Adamnknight, Skizo, MarioFan22, XiLoRe 25, zephyr, MFGG, Dood, Sanct, Artturer, Lx Xzit, GLuigiX, Marina, Doodoxing, Waddle Derp, Meta, MosaicMario, MyNameIsEric52, Yave Yu, Sednaiur, Redigit, Dragonmaster126, Luffy, Natsu, Enjl, rodrigo0, KFCMARIO, Darkonius64, krazykoopa, SupahKupah, Camacho, andregemeo23, TheCreator520, Magus, Hani, Red Yoshi, DarkStar, Yoshiboo62, Dr. SVH, Xionix, jdaster64, Tonberry2k, registered_person, Catlover341, Brener123, Road Runner, NSPBWii, Squishy Rex, Kokorov, elitalianoverde, tulip, ffffff, Elbow, Fluttershy, Various Inspiration, NajekK, Mageker, krazybluemonkey, Link, Dragonmaster146.
Last edited by NewSaturn on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Re: The Second Adventure of The Great Star Hunting (SMBX 1.4.4)

Postby Eri7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Nice, a new episode, I might give it a try.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:45 pm

This looks pretty cool, especially for a first episode.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:45 pm

I just played the first 3 levels and i know it's way too early for me to judge the episode but i have only few things to say. I like the level design so far, it reminds me of the level design of Mario's Kingdom Adventure but what you have done better is nail the non-linear aspect of the levels and how there are always new paths to explore. I just don't like how there is some misleading coin/pipe placement which makes me think there is a some sort of a star or power up when in fact, there are only few coins but so far i am enjoying this and i haven't had such a fun time playing an smbx episode since months so good job, i am excited to see what this episode has got next and to write you a review of your episode.

NewSaturn
Rex
Rex

Postby NewSaturn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 am

I'm so glad to see you enjoying my episode ! :D

Yeah, I agree with you about the coin placements next to the pipes, we can think there is a secret but in principle for secrets by entering into pipes, I put a kind of arrow coins above or in front of pipes or some pipes which separate into 2 parts the general tileset of the level. ;)

And if you played the first 3 levels, you will be more pleased for the next levels because the levels of my first world are simple with default graphics or NPCs but it makes me happy to read your comment. :)

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:06 am

This looks really good! You should be proud!

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything
Pronouns: he/him

Postby TheNightingale » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:45 am

This indeed looks excellent to be your first episode

NewSaturn
Rex
Rex

Postby NewSaturn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

Yep, this is my first episode but I have played SMBX since 2012 so I have some great editor skills now even if I never created a complete game but just some levels until 2015 and then I toke a break in SMBX during 2 years until where I started this episode in May 2017. ;)

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:04 pm

So i played level 4 and here is some feedback,
this can be fixed by making jumphurt/waterjumphurt true in the properties of the npc.
You don't really need to explain us this with a sign considering a lot of people here have played or heard of nsmbwii and know how the propeller mushroom functions, also i think the penguin suit would have fit the level way better because there is a lot of water and the propeller suit ends up being a bit underused.
Also there wasn't really that much of a reason to go into the water as there are a lot of enemies there.
Why does this part exist lol?
Also the way 2 of the stars were hidden was a bit unfair but at least the level was fun just like the others so i didn't mind replaying it few times to get all of the stars.
What i like the most about this level is that you had to complete a puzzle/challenge in order to get the exit and the challenge was well made/clever.
So i also played level 5, i liked it, i think it is the best level so far in world 1 because of it's challenges, i like the boss in the end and i overall like these puzzles/challenges that every level seems to have, i will keep you updated on my experience with the rest of the worlds!

NewSaturn
Rex
Rex

Postby NewSaturn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:33 am

I kinda like reading your comments ! :lol:

Indeed, I made a lot of alternative paths leading to coins or 1-UP sometimes, even Stars and those paths can be pointless if there are just coins, I know, but I wanted to fill each level as much as possible. :)

By the way, I put a lot of signs in my game that explain to the players how do you use SMBX 1.4 Power-Ups because not all the players know how those Power-Ups works and it can be useful for some players who play SMBX for the first time, for example.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 am

Have you even tested if you can save your progress after exiting? as it's a hub episode?

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 am
Have you even tested if you can save your progress after exiting? as it's a hub episode?
Yes, my progress is a proof it works as I have been documenting it at different days.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:51 pm

So, is it just me who has the following issues with the engine?

- progress is not saved without progression on the world map
- pause menu doesn't work
- no way to leave fullscreen (not even through double-clicking)

NewSaturn
Rex
Rex

Postby NewSaturn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm

This is strange because you're supposed to be able to save your progress when you are in the main hub world. You can save and still playing or save and leave the episode.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Hey NewSaturn, I'm sorry for not documenting my further progress, i haven't done any new progress because of different stuff going on in my life but i will soon continue to play it because i really like your episode and i want to see what you have got next.

NewSaturn
Rex
Rex

Postby NewSaturn » Wed May 01, 2019 4:27 am

Okay, no problem dude ! ;)
You have all your time, there is no rush for you to play my game.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Wed May 01, 2019 8:29 am

NewSaturn wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm
This is strange because you're supposed to be able to save your progress when you are in the main hub world. You can save and still playing or save and leave the episode.

The pause menu is nowhere functional for me. Again, this seems to be a specific problem of mine?

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 02, 2019 2:22 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:29 am
NewSaturn wrote:

The pause menu is nowhere functional for me. Again, this seems to be a specific problem of mine?
Did you use any cheats? SMBX doesn't let you save unless you type "redigitiscool". If not, it might be a lua thing, if the episode is using it.

KBorg64
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: any/all

Postby KBorg64 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 am

MegaDood wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:22 am
Cedur wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:29 am
NewSaturn wrote:

Did you use any cheats? SMBX doesn't let you save unless you type "redigitiscool". If not, it might be a lua thing, if the episode is using it.
This is for 38A, correct? I don't think lua has any functionality with 38A.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 am

If you cheat on 38A, wave goodbye to your save file.

Return to “Episodes”