How to use NPC/Block/Other Packs from here

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

How to use NPC/Block/Other Packs from here

Postby Emral » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 am

One type of content you will find in this forum is the NPC pack (or Block pack, or BGO pack, or Effect pack... maybe even a mix! For simplicity I will just refer to NPC packs however).

Guide on the SMBX2 documentation:
https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/concepts/cu ... tent-packs

Original guide:
Spoiler: show
Using these in your own levels is simple. The contents of such a pack might look like this:
Simply extract all the contents of a folder like the one above into your level/episode folder and the corresponding IDs will be automatically applied. In this case, 751 and 752.

All IDs between 751 and 1000 for NPCs, blocks, BGOs and effects are available for per-level or per-episode customisation. So if you would like to use several packs, but there are overlaps in IDs you can do the following:
1. Rename the files of the secondary pack you are importing to fill IDs currently not occupied. Make sure to stay within the 751-1000 range.
2. Open the npc-n.ini file for the NPCs you have renamed, to make sure they use the same image file as their name suggests.

Afterwards, if you have the editor open, hit F8 to refresh and the new content will be available! Depending on the renaming situation you might have to adjust a few tilesets (if the pack creator provides them) or create your own in order to access them in the Tileset Itembox. Simply checking the "Show Custom Only" box and selecting the type of object you want to create a tileset for will help you easily find the things you have imported:
Pack credits:
Not all npcs you'll find here are 100% coded from scratch. Sometimes you may find adaptations of basegame code, or adaptations from other people's code. Crediting these properly can be a bit daunting if sufficient information isn't provided. In the case of a basegame adaptation (e.g. custom mod for Thwimps), credit the modder as well as the original creator, found in Credits.xls of your SMBX2 installation. In the case of a mod of a user-submitted NPC, please find the original author in the original post by the modder. If the modder didn't provide this information, please remind them to do so. Thank you!

And that's it! You can now start using packs you have downloaded here in your levels. Please enjoy!
Last edited by Emral on Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Re: How to use NPC/Block/Other Packs from here

Postby 8lue Storm » Sun May 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 am
Afterwards, if you have the editor open, hit F5 to refresh and the new content will be available!
A little trivial, but doesn't F5 start the tester instead of reloading the editor?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun May 26, 2019 3:34 pm

You're right, oops! Fixing.

ArtAddictedArchitect
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby ArtAddictedArchitect » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 pm

okay, but how do you add powerups? i cant find a tutorial anywhere and really confused

KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Postby KateBulka » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 am

ArtAddictedArchitect wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 pm
okay, but how do you add powerups? i cant find a tutorial anywhere and really confused
You can't do that so far. Powerup array list is not extended yet

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:35 am

ArtAddictedArchitect wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 pm
Any library that isn't advertised as a pack is loaded by using require(libraryname), like is used for some documentation on the handbook.

Abrahamsitokun2004
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: Play smbx, it's the best, and there will be more!

Postby Abrahamsitokun2004 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm

I need help with the super mario 3D world beep block that doesn't clink or change automatically, help

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am

Abrahamsitokun2004 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm
I need help with the super mario 3D world beep block that doesn't clink or change automatically, help

1) do you understand that your concerns can't be helped within just some hours, even if this community were more active and had more scripters? It's just annoying to see a cry for help in every post of yours

[EDIT: forget whatever else I wrote here, thanks Enjl]
Last edited by Cedur on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:38 am

Cedur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am
2) how would you expect "beep blocks" to work in 2D anyway? Just blocks that appear and disappear in a rhythm? This can be done without any coding (just think of layers and events and e.g. look at the level "9-6 Rhythm Road" from Super Mario Star Expedition)
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24259
Abrahamsitokun2004 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm
Follow the instructions in this thread and the beep block thread. The latter points towards an example.lua included in the beep block pack download which details the code you need to put into luna.lua. I can't really help much outside of repeating where the instructions are located, since all the necessary information is already where you would expect it to be: The beep block thread and this forum.

Abrahamsitokun2004
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: Play smbx, it's the best, and there will be more!

Postby Abrahamsitokun2004 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

Look, nothing yet. Explain to me, I don't understand

Xboy1
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: supah mayrio bruthas

Postby Xboy1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:46 pm

How do you make custom death sprites, like a goomba being squished, and make the sprites flip when the NPC turns around?
NVM I found it out on my own, but I still don't know about the custom death sprite

Lapuente
Rex
Rex

Postby Lapuente » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:29 am

I got a bit lost, is there any video tutorial on this?

Return to “LunaLua”