Bowser Run

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Eden
Rex
Rex

Bowser Run

Postby Eden » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 am

Hi ! This is my first post on this forum and the first level I submit here !

It is a smw styled level with some custom graphics I took from the CGFX PACK and tweaked a little bit. The concept of the level is that you're chased through a dungeon by Bowser (which is in fact npc-201, so acts like Wart) with an horizontal scrolling synchronized with Bowser's speed. At the end you reach a button that destroys the bridge Bowser is on.The level is quite hard, which in my opinion is fitting to a Bowser-ish level that would be found at the end of a game. Anyway I had great fun building it and I hope you will enjoy trying to beat it !

Feel free to use anything you like in it in any way you want.
Any thoughts and criticism are much welcome !

Screencaps :
Spoiler: show
Download :

https://www.mediafire.com/?8fn4uukcmcv4brn

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Re: Bowser Run

Postby SMBXxer » Fri May 02, 2014 2:15 am

Level looks ok, but the curtains are way out of place.
BTW welcome to the forum!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 am

This looks great especially for a new user on the forums! Where did you get the tileset?

Eden
Rex
Rex

Postby Eden » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am

FutureNyanCat2014 thanks fo your comment ! Sadly I can't give you the name of the author of the original core tileset, I just checked in my folder and he only named it "some stuff" without any signature. I downloaded it in some of the previous smbx forum some months ago, but here I give you a link to it if you want : https://www.mediafire.com/?dz9ab1votuv8efp
The tileset in my level is different from this one as I have recolored it to make it fit with the rest. For the curtains, the bowser heads and such, they are recolored and modified versions of BGOs that you can find on the main pack. I modified to a certain extent most of the graphics used so if you want to use them just as they look on the screencaps I recommand you to take them directly from my level folder !
SMBXxer tanks for your welcome ! yeah I hesitated to change the curtains colors but they are kind of iconic, plus if I darkened them there would no more color in the whole level and it would be Bowser and Mario that would look out of place...

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???

Postby Super Luigi! » Fri May 02, 2014 4:24 pm

OK, so I played your level and now I shall review it.

Graphics

The castle really looked like it was out Super Mario World, especially with your curtains. Speaking of which, I agree with SMBXxer; they look out of place. Overall, great choice in custom and original graphics. 9/10

Gameplay

The autoscrolling combined with Bowser's ongoing assault and surprise Ninji attacks really evokes feeling of difficulty and helplessness. I enjoyed playing through and experiencing the level's concept, but don't approve of hugging the right side of the screen, only to die from a hopping Ninji. The moving ones, not the jumping ones behind the curtain walls. Those were an interesting development. Oh, and the fireballs crawling around the platforms were annoying too and couldn't be spin-jumped. Bottom Line: While I appreciate your IDEA, your EXECUTION needs some work. 7/10

Replay Value

I didn't even want to finish it. However, I most likely will return someday and replay it. Just maybe, mind you! 6/10

In conclusion, Eden, your level contains potential, but lacks performance. My suggestions if you like creating these levels: First, don't go overboard and release 20 in three days. Second, learn from your mistakes and move on. Third, always be the best you can be. Remember, although you're no Level Designer and I'm not an official Level Judge, we must both trust each other and ourselves in order to make the SMBX Forum phenomenal!

8/10

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:47 am

My playthrough:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9abOpQSH1I

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 pm

bossedit8 wrote:My playthrough:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9abOpQSH1I
Holy crap that looks hard, I'm downloading this.

EDIT: This needs to be reviewed.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm

It was reviewed by Super Luigi!...period.

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot lol.

Eden
Rex
Rex

Postby Eden » Sun May 04, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks a lot for your great review Super Luigi ! I shall put all of your thoughtful advices to good use in my next levels !
And 8/10 is a pretty generous grade so thank you twice !

SMBXxer and Bossedit8, thanks for playing it ! By the way, what did you think of it, if I may ask ?

Eden
Rex
Rex

Postby Eden » Sun May 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Of course, no problem !

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???

Postby Super Luigi! » Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 pm

That's good to hear, Eden. It's always my pleasure to help! See you future better-than-ever levels!

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Wed May 07, 2014 10:50 pm

My review of Bowser Run by Eden

Gameplay
In this side-scrolling final castle-like level: You must dodge the fire balls shot by Bowser, while also dodging surprise attacks from Ninjis and constantly leaping off the ground onto more pieces of ground. I found it pretty hard, it took my about 20-25 try's to actually beat it, AND I had to cheat a little by starting off a Super Mario. The music in the level fits, but you could've picked a more intense track because of the difficulty.
Overall Gameplay Score: 7/10

Replay Value
I'm going to be honest with you, I really didn't want to play it again.
The only reason I didn't want to play it again is because of the difficulty of the level, maybe tune down the difficulty of the level and I'll reconsider.
Overall Replay Value: 4.5/10

NPC Placement
I don't see any flaws in NPC placement, very good NPC locations. Well, the only thing that bugs me is all of the Ninjis in the level, mainly them being hidden so much.
Overall NPC Placement Score: 6/10

OVERALL LEVEL SCORE: 8.5/10

This is possibly the best level I have ever played(Well, it's kinda the only one I ever played), I wish you luck in level making, and hope you become a well-known level designer.

~~~SMBXxer~~~

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:12 pm

I find it interesting and fun to play how you pulled it off to walk the SMB2 Wart following you and dodging his projectiles while walking along the level. You did a great job.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 am

bossedit8 wrote:I find it interesting and fun to play how you pulled it off to walk the SMB2 Wart following you and dodging his projectiles while walking along the level. You did a great job.
Wait, how he do that?! That's very awesome!

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu May 08, 2014 9:52 am

Christian07 wrote:
bossedit8 wrote:I find it interesting and fun to play how you pulled it off to walk the SMB2 Wart following you and dodging his projectiles while walking along the level. You did a great job.
Wait, how he do that?! That's very awesome!
He used events and layers.

m4sterbr0s
Snifit
Snifit

Postby m4sterbr0s » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Review: Bowser Run

Overall Design/Gameplay: Though this was somewhat short, I really have to say that this is quite impressive for your first level. This has probably been one of the most challenging boss rooms I have played. You had great graphical and music choices, which made the atmosphere more Bowser-like. I think you've nailed it in terms of difficulty, from the spark enemies to the podoboos, etc. In terms of level designing, this was really great as well. You were able to keep the castle design, along with good use of events to ensure that Bowser would continue to fight you. In addition to the autoscroll, it limited the player from having any safe spots to avoid Bowser's attack. Wonderful job with this.

Suggestions/Improvements: I believe in bossedit8's video, he was able to spin jump on Bowser and towards the end, get behind him. I think you need to change up the level a bit so that the player can never get behind Bowser. In addition, I suggest that you should disable the ability for Bowser to be spin-jumped on. Finally, I'd like to see an expanded version of this, or even setting the atmosphere so that this occurs perhaps on top of the castle at night or something. Or, at the very least, I'd like to see from you a World 8/Bowser castle with challenging gimmicks, which includes this boss battle/room at the end.

Final Score: 9/10
Level Status: The Best

Eden
Rex
Rex

Postby Eden » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Wow ! I'm honored and really surprised ! Thanks a lot m4sterbr0s !

Well i'm currently working on a level for the community contest could be the prelude to this one.
I would have put some other sections to introduce the boss, but the problem is that I needed the scrolling, and I don't know any way to make it work if it isn't at the very start of the level.
And I'll try to put some small updates to avoid the get-behind-bowser problem soon !

EDIT : By the way, if anybody want to use this level and put it in a greater level or episode, unchanged or upgraded, well you can ! I don't really expect that anybody would want to, but anyway I would be okay with it.

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Eden wrote: I would have put some other sections to introduce the boss, but the problem is that I needed the scrolling, and I don't know any way to make it work if it isn't at the very start of the level.
First, congrats!
Second, the way you would add extra sections to the level is to make the Bowser room in the first section, then make the preceding level in sections 2, 3 etc.
Last edited by SMBXxer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eden
Rex
Rex

Postby Eden » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 am

Thanks for the tip, I just tried it and it works perfectly !

Return to “The Best”