BetterifiVed - Subtle Subtitle + The Dimension Master's Lament

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: BetterifiVed - Subtle Subtitle (This Episode will harass your senses)

Postby Quantumenace » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Found my level! I think it was kind of funny that you added a checkpoint considering the difficulty of some of the other levels. I mean, the only way I could beat a particular tank level legit was with a black yoshi obtained from one of those random NPC generators earlier in the game.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Alright so you have the permission to get excited again as in fact, I will be doing an additional content update, featuring some side content from one of the more obscure secrets of the game.
This content update will have 3-4 additional levels and will expand upon one of the rarest characters in the franchise.

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Pronouns: They/Her

Postby Black Mamba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm

This content update is gonna suck ass

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:33 pm

you shut up before i put your minecraft username in the game

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Fuckin do it you wont

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Uzendayo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 pm
Fuckin do it you wont
You've chosen your fate

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

That was quite a ride, my favorites are probably Wario's airship level, spoilers, and MMGGG.

I'm happy to be able to contribute, and was especially happy to see you got some extra mileage out of my entry.

Any chance of a music list? I can't identify them by the filenames.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm probably gonna add a music list included with the content update, or like a day later or so, if you're interested in any song right now specifically, you can just PM me on the forum and ask what one of the songs is

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 pm

play the content update when that drops. its gonna have a really good level that I made in it. its rly good. look at what all these real people had to say about it!

HeroLinik wrote:
Going to have to be honest here, with a name like that and rather goofy, unfitting music, this level is quite hard to take seriously. But that aside, this level was stunning to look at; the rising fireballs went well with the lava and its glow, providing an almost hellish feel, and the lava-based hazards such as the side-on Podoboos and the firebars helped with the immersion, while providing some neat gameplay to go with it. Speaking of which, it was pretty good, having a neat mix of basic platforming, platform riding and dodging hazards, and the way the secret star is hidden was quite clever, despite requiring an upgraded form of Mario to go through. Unfortunately, the boss fight was a disaster. While the Batafire fits with the level theme, the bombs generate too quickly, making for a laughably easy fight despite the Rinkas. Even the secret Mouser fight was somewhat underwhelming as well, and if anything, the Hammer Bros. after the boss provided more of the challenge than the boss itself. But then again the level's pretty hard to take seriously, so...meh.
JupiHornet wrote:
Explicit name aside, this level kinda felt like a bunch of random castle/fire-related stuff thrown together. It wasn't particularly interesting, and some parts (mostly the beginning) were really annoying with all the enemies everywhere. It was probably a bad idea to put a Super Leaf by the midpoint, because the line ride section afterwards can be cheesed with it (just hold the jump button and float to the bottom). The boss was also pretty boring, it was just a floating Mother Brain with two Rinkas generating out of it. The fiery cloud effect looks AWESOME, but there were spots where the graphics got in the way of the design, specifically the part where you had to climb all the chains. Overall, this level could have been done better.
Sanct wrote:
If you're playing this level first time the particles can really distract you from the spikes, the boss is also lame. Other than that most of this level is very fun, maybe a little cramped in places, but fun. Except that god damn secret star I hate you for that garbage bullshit.
PixelPest wrote:
A pretty interesting level with a good atmosphere, however it was a little bit of sensory overload with its eyesore visuals and painful music choices. The use of background objects was also pretty overkill since a good number of them didn’t even make sense or fit in the setting of the level. Coin placement was also inconsistent and a significant number of the coins were in giant clumps. Furthermore the enemy variety was a little bit overkill and messy, and there was at least one type of enemy used as a joke, although there placement was pretty good. The green pipes did stick out in this level like a sore thumb but most of the other graphics seemed to work relatively well together except for the parallax at the end which was also a little messy being at the wrong priority. Was looking forward to the boss(es) in this level with the way it had unfolded but then they ended up just being resprites which was a little disappointing. The level was a sufficient length though for what it had to offer and had some variety in terms of the player’s movement with a very complex structure overall.
SuperMario7 wrote:
Fantastic. This level was clearly crafted with care and deliberation, making the level varied, fun, and challenging throughout. It was at times extremely difficult, but difficult in a mostly fair sort of way (although occasionally obstacles seemed a bit too crowded and relentless, so I’d suggest making a few more areas that are safe where players can just catch their breath, especially towards the end of the level). Still, while there isn’t any crazy gimmick in this level that totally blew my mind, each section had it’s own unique obstacles that built off of each other, and the boss was original and well put-together. So just putting some of the more basic features of the SMBX engine to excellent use and combining them in unique ways is enough innovation for me. In terms of aesthetics, this level looked amazing. The embers and the lighting blew me away, plus the decoration and attention to detail was all spot-on. Great work with this one!

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 am

Uzendayo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 pm
HeroLinik wrote:
Going to have to be honest here, with a name like that and rather goofy, unfitting music, this level is quite hard to take seriously. But that aside, this level was stunning to look at; the rising fireballs went well with the lava and its glow, providing an almost hellish feel, and the lava-based hazards such as the side-on Podoboos and the firebars helped with the immersion, while providing some neat gameplay to go with it. Speaking of which, it was pretty good, having a neat mix of basic platforming, platform riding and dodging hazards, and the way the secret star is hidden was quite clever, despite requiring an upgraded form of Mario to go through. Unfortunately, the boss fight was a disaster. While the Batafire fits with the level theme, the bombs generate too quickly, making for a laughably easy fight despite the Rinkas. Even the secret Mouser fight was somewhat underwhelming as well, and if anything, the Hammer Bros. after the boss provided more of the challenge than the boss itself. But then again the level's pretty hard to take seriously, so...meh.
Question: Did HeroLinik really said that? If so, how did you manage him to go back to playing SMBX episodes?!? :?

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 am
Uzendayo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 pm
HeroLinik wrote:
Question: Did HeroLinik really said that? If so, how did you manage him to go back to playing SMBX episodes?!? :?
It is Linik's comments on Uzendayo's GEX level (he was a judge)

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm

im still salty i didnt place higher than mechdragon

Daddy Brain
Goomba
Goomba

Re: BetterifiVed - Subtle Subtitle + The Dimension Master's Lament

Postby Daddy Brain » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 am

THE NEW UPDATE SANCT HAS BEEN HIDING FROM US, IT'S HERE, GO KILL MARIO USING IT!!!!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9gmpakmrm7lv ... e.rar?dl=0

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:28 am

I had so much fun working on this, I hope it shows! Thank you daddy brain for leaking this update

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am

Uzendayo wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Wait, your Grand Extravaganza level is in here? (No clue what place either of us got in that.)

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am
Uzendayo wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Wait, your Grand Extravaganza level is in here? (No clue what place either of us got in that.)
(Well it was supposed to be, but it got replaced by something else)

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 am

The way you did my level was hilarious Eclipsed. Thanks.

Spoiler: show
"use the god damn bombs"

also the explosions still work wrong while paused in spoilers but whatever

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Valentine » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 pm

And because I refuse to let this topic die, here's a boss rush of all the game's bosses

Return to “Episodes”