Mario's Big Journey WORLD 8 DEMO

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Mario's Big Journey WORLD 8 DEMO

Postby tangy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am

by tangy

A simple and easy SMBX episode for 2.0 Beta 4 with rather short, simple levels!

SYNOPSIS

Mario and Bowser have decided to make vacation plans on the very same archipelago, on the very same day! As Mario, or as Luigi if you prefer, show Bowser who's boss by laying ruin to his trip!

IMAGES
Spoiler: show
----

Download the demo:

Mario's Big Journey 0.3 - WORLD 8 DEMO
This demo has 82 medals and 94 exits.

Previous versions: ----
SPECIAL THANKS
MillieAmp
ZHL
BrokenAce255
Squishy Rex
Brian Lee
reghrhre
Last edited by tangy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 28 times in total.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Mario's Big Journey

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:55 am

tangeruse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am
SYNOPSIS

Mario and Bowser have decided to make vacation plans on the very same archipelago, on the very same day! As Mario, or as Luigi if you prefer, show Bowser who's boss by laying ruin to his trip!
I think I'm the ONLY guy in the SMBX community who thinks the plot of this episode is GENIUS!!!!!! No really, i like the plot of this episode! ^_^"

Grand Goomba
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Grand Goomba » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
tangeruse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am
SYNOPSIS

I think I'm the ONLY guy in the SMBX community who thinks the plot of this episode is GENIUS!!!!!! No really, i like the plot of this episode! ^_^"
Me too. :D

goSciu
Bit
Bit
Flair: GIMP Master

Postby goSciu » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 am

Ooooooh, I like it. Interesting story, promising screenshots, a lot of progress made so far. I'm looking up for this.

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby tangy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello! Bumping this thread with some delicious progress!

As of this very moment, World 4 is more or less COMPLETE!
Going to update the OP with a bunch more screenshots.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:19 am

I like the new screenshots and also the plot seems interesting as well.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:34 am

I'm excited for this, good luck further on! Will there be a demo eventually?

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby tangy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 am

tangeruse wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm
Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!

Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm

This is looking very good so far
Eri7 wrote:Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?
So you didn't read what tangeruse's post said?
tangeruse wrote: Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Eureka wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm
This is looking very good so far
Eri7 wrote:Nice, are you going to now use the new maglx3 npcs/features?
So you didn't read what tangeruse's post said?
tangeruse wrote: Episode is now converted to a form that is compatible with SMBX2 beta4. Now with the new timer.lua!
That doesn't answer my question since i already read it. I was thinking more like using the new npcs and cool features other than this, i guess i didn't word it better.

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby tangy » Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm

It might. It might not.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am

So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am

MegaDood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 am
So the plot is beat up Bowser because he wants to go on holidays? Nice. Also yeah, the screenshots look good, but I do feel a few of the screenshots clash a bit, like the pipes with the background in the water cave level and the ghost house tiles next to the SMB3 grasslands. Perhaps changing the style of a few things would improve this. But overall, it looks nice, well done.
Clash is subjective, i think they fit but the colors could be changed a little to fit even more. And if you didn't know, this is called style mixing and could work pretty well or really bad depending on how you use it.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am

Eri7 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am
MegaDood wrote:
Clash is subjective, i think they fit but the colors could be changed a little to fit even more. And if you didn't know, this is called style mixing and could work pretty well or really bad depending on how you use it.
No, megadood actually got it right. Clash is when things look jarring next to each other, given the context of the level. Often that will constitute style-mixing but there is definitely a rigid principle for clash that may be applied here.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 09, 2019 6:50 am

Eri7 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am
MegaDood wrote:
Eh true... I got a lot of criticism for clash when I did something similar in my own project... I've sort of been afraid of style mixing after all that... But you're right, it might work well once we play the level for ourselves.

KBorg64
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: any/all

Postby KBorg64 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am

64searchman46 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Most of the clash I see is easily fixable. Like the pipes in the cave, or the blocks in that sand level. Simply replace them with other similar objects that match the rest of the level's style (so use graphics from the same game for the most part).
Iunno I kinda dig the aesthetics the way they are. The only thing I'm really wondering about is that entity in the third and fifth screenshot of World 1 is.

KBorg64
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: any/all

Postby KBorg64 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am
64searchman46 wrote:
Iunno I kinda dig the aesthetics the way they are. The only thing I'm really wondering about is that entity in the third and fifth screenshot of World 1 is.
Yeah, overall I like the aesthetics, too. Clash doesn't bother me too much, as long as it's used well.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri May 10, 2019 5:16 pm

64searchman46 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm
Enjl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am
64searchman46 wrote:
Yeah, overall I like the aesthetics, too. Clash doesn't bother me too much, as long as it's used well.
That's fair, though I'm not sure if much of what you point out even counts as clash to begin with? Clash implies there's some sort of disconnect between the aesthetics in a level, though a stylistic disconnect within the space of "vanilla graphics" doesn't really stand out I find. The pipes in the cave especially look super normal to me. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think what you pointed out is really harming the aesthetics of the episode.

Return to “Projects”