Is anyone allowed to set up unofficial level contests?

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Is anyone allowed to set up unofficial level contests?

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 am

Well, I need to ask something. You know, there was Community Contests. (It ended, sadly.) and after that, most people (Including me) started to create unofficial level contests. And after CC12 ended, no one did contests anymore. Even the monthly LC's made by The Thwomp King stopped. Why did this happen? Because of the strict rules? I want to know. If it's allowed to set up contests, I'm planning the continue the traditions of TTK's Level Contests.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Re: Is anyone allowed to set up unofficial level contests?

Postby Cedur » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:09 am

It's allowed but I really don't recommend you to. They don't get any attention, as there is way too little reward and they're buried under the pile of other topics as they're not stickied. Only the most famed of community members could get a few people to submit at best. People prefer to work on their projects instead.

So yeah the contests stopped because of inactivity. There have been a total of three official contests after CC12 though, varying between 30 and 50 participants.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:12 am

Unofficial contests are doomed to fail. As Cedur said, this is because no one cares about them anymore and they don't mean much overall. It does not matter what you do, you just cannnot make an unofficial contest that will succeed. I tried to do 3 and even put a twist on the usual formula last time but even despite that only one person actually finished the contest and submitted a level that could be judged, which prevented the contest from continuing to the end.

Your best bet would be to stick around and wait for an official contest to appear (the next one will likely be MAGLX3 that will likely happen next year). We have had 4 official contests since CC12 (Level contest Japan, Great Extravaganza (although this one ended up being a bit of a trainwreck), Super Community Contest and the All-Stars Contest) so they contests have not stopped.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:26 am

Electriking wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:12 am
Unofficial contests are doomed to fail. As Cedur said, this is because no one cares about them anymore and they don't mean much overall. It does not matter what you do, you just cannnot make an unofficial contest that will succeed. I tried to do 3 and even put a twist on the usual formula last time but even despite that only one person actually finished the contest and submitted a level that could be judged, which prevented the contest from continuing to the end.

Your best bet would be to stick around and wait for an official contest to appear (the next one will likely be MAGLX3 that will likely happen next year). We have had 4 official contests since CC12 (Level contest Japan, Great Extravaganza (although this one ended up being a bit of a trainwreck), Super Community Contest and the All-Stars Contest) so they contests have not stopped.
Hmm... OK. Well then, guess I'll warm myself up for MAGLX 3, then.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 am

They're only doomed to fail because they tend to be carbon copies of Community Contests, with far too little planning or personality behind them.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:47 am

I think that unofficial level contests work only if you have a lot of friends that will join it which might attract other people as well.

Return to “Site Discussion”