Have you been making positive posts?

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Postby Superiorstar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 am

Back when I first joined here (and even to this day) I sort of struggle with giving and receiving criticism, my criticism can be good but my choice of words could be poor, sometimes I can't understand what I'm doing wrong despite people's best efforts to tell me, and sometimes I just don't feel like changing for someone when they seem (to me) have a bad sense of giving criticism.
Understandably this is a kids forum so you can't always see that you're being mean or rude to someone, but sometimes that person can take it as rude despite it not looking bad at all. There's being crude and then there's being a whimp, Y'know?

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 am

Well, if I want to be honest, I've never been aggressive and rude in the forums so far. I tried to become polite to you guys as most of you are more experienced at SMBX.

And when I'm criticized when making levels, I know my mistakes. Because I'm not that great at making levels.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AirSeus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 am

Thank god this has finally been addressed, there were sooo many rude people who would scream at you just because you stated an opinion or because something needed a little work to it, I remember even having to step in and defending a newcomer because of how toxic members were being to them, the sad thing is, they were old members that should know way better than to randomly hate and decimate someones love for the game and community just because expectations these days are super high and annoying.
Pure example of this is the Luna debates that people had often, you would be called "Lazy" just because you didn't want to learn a coding language, I mean, that is purely pathetic, people don't want to learn an entirely new coding language, no matter how simple it is, just to create a few levels that will be played once and then never picked up again, it is horrifying how this community has acted towards people that don't want to learn this stuff or people who can't learn this stuff because they already have other things going on that they need to focus on instead of some stupid code language that they will hardly ever use out side of SMBX, if people want to learn coding, they would have gone on a Computer Science or Game Designing course in School/University. They came here to create levels, play levels and create friends online, not to be butchered the second they come in over some worthless code that will be forgotten about in a few years.
It is sad really and I am grateful that someone finally stepped up in the Moderation team to create a post like this, it has been needed for years, hopefully people will learn to be more lenient when it comes to judging new people, and not expect them to instantly be able to create levels that will be legendary or curse them out until they do because that is not how it works.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:26 am

AirSeus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 am
Thank god this has finally been addressed, there were sooo many rude people who would scream at you just because you stated an opinion or because something needed a little work to it, I remember even having to step in and defending a newcomer because of how toxic members were being to them, the sad thing is, they were old members that should know way better than to randomly hate and decimate someones love for the game and community just because expectations these days are super high and annoying.
Pure example of this is the Luna debates that people had often, you would be called "Lazy" just because you didn't want to learn a coding language, I mean, that is purely pathetic, people don't want to learn an entirely new coding language, no matter how simple it is, just to create a few levels that will be played once and then never picked up again, it is horrifying how this community has acted towards people that don't want to learn this stuff or people who can't learn this stuff because they already have other things going on that they need to focus on instead of some stupid code language that they will hardly ever use out side of SMBX, if people want to learn coding, they would have gone on a Computer Science or Game Designing course in School/University. They came here to create levels, play levels and create friends online, not to be butchered the second they come in over some worthless code that will be forgotten about in a few years.
It is sad really and I am grateful that someone finally stepped up in the Moderation team to create a post like this, it has been needed for years, hopefully people will learn to be more lenient when it comes to judging new people, and not expect them to instantly be able to create levels that will be legendary or curse them out until they do because that is not how it works.
I agree with your statement , expectations for level design , graphics and coding have been sky rocketed , yeah this will ensure better quality stuff in our community but it's very hard to keep up with them and sometimes you feel very bad because there are people that are so good at these stuff and you know you suck and it makes you less motivated to improve and also knowing that people will judge you all the time.
And then when you refuse criticism then people start calling you some very bad names and they think they have the right to judge all of your work because you refused one criticism , ONE criticism , it's sad but i am hoping this changes a bit and people start giving more chances to less experienced people.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:44 am

I have never acted offensively since I registered in the forums, so I always try to give the best possible criticism.
Superiorstar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 am
Understandably this is a kids forum so you can't always see that you're being mean or rude to someone
I agree with this, Superiorstar. Many kids love the Mario games, so in this kind of forums there should not be offensive publications, like that huge and negative text mountain of NightKawata in the thread of Mario Editor.

Come on guys, let's be more positive!

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm

AirSeus wrote:Pure example of this is the Luna debates that people had often, you would be called "Lazy" just because you didn't want to learn a coding language...

I don't remember whether the devs or anyone else got rude on someone but in their defense, I think it's indeed on your end if you don't make an effort to get yourself informed. The PGE wiki is everything you need, especially the LunaLua basics page, it's also laid out for people with no prior knowledge of coding. If you don't get yourself immersed into this, okay fine, but if you want to do certain things the basic editor can't, you kinda have to?
Surtur wrote:Come on guys, let's be more positive!

Yeah sure, but let's pay attention to not get too positive. I may get annoyed of what's been adressed here but I get annoyed of lickspittling even more. Positivity for its merely own sake is fake. Don't hurt the boundaries of truth for it.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby AirSeus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm
AirSeus wrote:Pure example of this is the Luna debates that people had often, you would be called "Lazy" just because you didn't want to learn a coding language...

I don't remember whether the devs or anyone else got rude on someone but in their defense, I think it's indeed on your end if you don't make an effort to get yourself informed. The PGE wiki is everything you need, especially the LunaLua basics page, it's also laid out for people with no prior knowledge of coding. If you don't get yourself immersed into this, okay fine, but if you want to do certain things the basic editor can't, you kinda have to?
Surtur wrote:Come on guys, let's be more positive!

Yeah sure, but let's pay attention to not get too positive. I may get annoyed of what's been adressed here but I get annoyed of lickspittling even more. Positivity for its merely own sake is fake. Don't hurt the boundaries of truth for it.
It isn't the point of making an "effort" to learn some silly code, you can have as many wiki pages as you want, it still wont help certain people and still doesn't get rid of the fact that people have families to provide for or university to study for instead of learning some code that was forced into the games norm for creations when in no mean it should be. This era of the game is completely unfair for the younger members of the community because what flippin 9-12 year old wants to learn some code that they wont understand anyway because there isn't a single non-formal guide out there about Luna, the closest there is to one is the official guide which is still formal and when I was younger, I could not understand a single thing nor did I want to waste my time and my days learning a code that randomly appeared out of nowhere to steal peoples dreams into becoming better creators, this game and community has turned from a loving and caring game/community that required decent level editor skills to get onto the top into a hellish super demanding game that you can't even get yourself recognised or even considered average until you wasted time on learning some code that you don't want to because people these days don't understand that opinions exist and think that every single person can learn a code just because they and a few hundred other people found it easy.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Why do you call it silly in the first place? Like, why the hostility? And how would you expect the benefits of Lua to be directly incorporated into the game (Beta4 and onward will do that a lot I guess but it takes time and it's not available yet)? Devs and other experts also directly assist on making code at times but they can't fulfil every request? You have the choice between sticking to the default editor's boundaries or expanding your horizon. If you already understand the basic editor's functionalities (like, how to use layers and events for your benefit), then is coding even such a big hurdle?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Back on-topic please. Also AirSeus you're blowing this extremely out of proportion--no one is forced to use any of the resources in the games and no one ever said that this should be done in place of providing for a family or studying or anything bizarre like that. The editor provides lots of possibilities and assets for people of various backgrounds; those who are more interested in coding have those features available to them and those who don't have so many ways they can learn or have a ton of assets they can use with little to no experience

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Had a paragraph written about this but I don't want to veer off too much. Will post the tldr though just to have it said:
-today's measure of design quality follows design principles in the industry, while back in the day they followed arbitrary principles of the then-popular users
-this makes it easier for community members to help each other out than it used to be
-coding is not a measure of design quality, just like how custom graphics and npc codes aren't
-many people i know say that code is best used in very small amounts, like in "no disguise from that double vision" and "yoshis at the crag" (~20 lines gameplay code each)
-if the concern is new features: we're working on making them more accessible to everyone. but we can't make "making new features" easier than "writing the code for them".

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby AirSeus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm
Had a paragraph written about this but I don't want to veer off too much. Will post the tldr though just to have it said:
-today's measure of design quality follows design principles in the industry, while back in the day they followed arbitrary principles of the then-popular users
-this makes it easier for community members to help each other out than it used to be
-coding is not a measure of design quality, just like how custom graphics and npc codes aren't
-many people i know say that code is best used in very small amounts, like in "no disguise from that double vision" and "yoshis at the crag" (~20 lines gameplay code each)
-if the concern is new features: we're working on making them more accessible to everyone. but we can't make "making new features" easier than "writing the code for them".
I understand and it is nice that you explained it, seems like this place has gotten a hell of a lot user friendly than it used to be a few years back and it is nice to see.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: eat trash, die fast

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

I don't want to be harsh, instead just get along, but like Pixel said, we all have our bad days....

:roll:

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:51 am

Your posts would be more positive towards yourself if you didn't include sentences like "I'll be warned" or "mods will get angry at me" for no apparent reason.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:32 pm

But it happens... I guess I would like a fresh start.

I am sorry to all those I have wronged since I started to uh.. Wrong you all?
Sorry. I really am. Forgive me, please.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 pm

It doesn't matter about you being given "forgiveness", it matters about yourself acting more seriously in the future. Don't make any business about it, people will eventually notice.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Alright. I'll be serious. I'm sorry. I want a fresh start, all I want... In fact, I don't want to be against everyone, but the opposite.

I thought I would have a good time joining the forum, but since it came to this... Could I restart? I didn't really understand the rules on top of the OP.. So now I will always re-read that one section of rules.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 pm

What I'm trying to say above is that you don't need anything like a "restart" to begin with. Frankly all that happened to you is that you acted immaturely on a few occasions, but even in regards of that I've seen much worse. No need to feel "sorry". These things will be water under the bridge quicker than you think. In case you might have been given one or two warnings, they are not meant to threaten you and they will also expire. All you need to do is avoiding a few things you've recently done and you're all good. Don't stress. A few hints which go beyond reading rules:
  • Think a bit about your spelling and how it reflects the vibes you'll carry over with your post. A dot being at the end of a sentence or not already makes a huge difference, clearly.
  • Generally think before posting. Post if you have something to say, not just for the sake of making a post (which is called postcounting and will become apparent).
  • On one side act maturely and don't sell yourself short. On the other side also stay authenthic and genuine.
  • Join the SMBX Discord server and look for other community servers and project servers as well. Discord is where casual gossiping goes (also within some rules), and Discord is also where you can join some circles of people and make friends.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Alright I understand.

Again, sorry.

For being what I am, I mean.. :roll:
I'll try to follow these rules now. Thanks.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Life isn't about resets but rather about experiences and learning from them. By following Cedur's advice you're doing that and will slip into territory where you don't have to be so self-conscious without realising it.
One piece of advice from me to add to the list:
-Don't request locks or deletions of your topics. Just let them drift down to the bottom of the topic list.

ThePieSkyHigh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:23 pm

okay, thanks!

but what if it's a really useless topic XD

Added in 17 seconds:
Alright nvm XD

Return to “Events and Announcements”