SMBX Site Q&A

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Re: SMBX Site Q&A

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Oh lol, my bad about that I was kinda confused at first.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 am
Briefly browsed the phpbb extensions index and found this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ile_flair/
Looks like a medals system. Could we have this? I'm thinking it might be fun to award podium placements in contests trophies in the future.
Aero wrote:
In case you hadn't seen it. Is this one suitable?

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:44 pm

I missed this, but yes this does look suitable! I think we could implement something like this soon. I'll run it by the staff.

Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 am

Enjl wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
Enjl wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 am
Briefly browsed the phpbb extensions index and found this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ile_flair/
Looks like a medals system. Could we have this? I'm thinking it might be fun to award podium placements in contests trophies in the future.
Aero wrote:
In case you hadn't seen it. Is this one suitable?
It would definitely have more merit then the medals we had previously. It's always worth a shot.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 pm

can we add a sticky thread with the new rank list? The old one in Archives is obviously obsolete

candle
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby candle » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Electriking wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm
We no longer feature episodes and GFX packs, and the wiki is dead with no plans on reviving it, so those pipes have become pointless.
Could you point me to the announcement, if any? I have a suggestion for reviving the Featured Episodes section.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:39 pm

candle wrote:I have a suggestion for reviving the Featured Episodes section.

... which would be?

candle
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby candle » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:41 am

Cedur wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:39 pm
candle wrote:I have a suggestion for reviving the Featured Episodes section.

... which would be?
Maybe it would help if there is more time between levels getting featured - say, the community features one episode per season and then sees how feasible that time frame is.

If that doesn't sound helpful, I'd be happy if you could tell me why the section got discontinued, so that I can hopefully make a better suggestion. That section has always been dear to my heart, because featured episodes attract new players, provide them orientation and motivate designers to do their best.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:09 pm

I don't mind the discontinuing of features, as the choices are subjective anyway, regardless if it's by staff or by a majority poll.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 am

The purpose of featured episodes was to create a place for interesting episodes without the clutter of the episodes subforum. It was discontinued because if there were too many featured episodes, then it would start becoming cluttered like the episodes forum, and thus no longer serve its original purpose.

Toad_shroom293
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: i'm not good with making nicknames
Pronouns: him

What is the ranks?

Postby Toad_shroom293 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 pm

I don't know what is that rank icons with the enemies, and how i get it?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Re: What is the ranks?

Postby Cedur » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 am

Toad_shroom293 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:51 pm
I don't know what is that rank icons with the enemies, and how i get it?

These are the ranks, and they change when you cross certain thresholds of postcount. At the start the ranks change quickly, but the more you post, the longer it takes to get a new rank.

candle
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby candle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:46 pm

Electriking wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 am
The purpose of featured episodes was to create a place for interesting episodes without the clutter of the episodes subforum. It was discontinued because if there were too many featured episodes, then it would start becoming cluttered like the episodes forum, and thus no longer serve its original purpose.
Maybe if it gets a per-year layout? Then it would look orderly no matter how much time passes. And to address Cedur's concern (Is there a way to tag forum members?): There could be objective criteria such as contest-episodes, or just winner entries for the different contests, be that single levels. And even if the criteria were sometimes subjective, I wouldn't mind as long as they are not completely arbitrary.

What I find the most important is that the SMBX commnity has a showcase for things we are really proud of, a showcase that is very visible even to a casual visitor of the SMBX community. And - it could be that the archivist inside is just speaking through me - it would also ensure that remarkable episodes (and levels) will always be remembered. Take Mystic Atlus: Judging by the comments, it is an exceptionally well-done episode, but less than two years later, it's only to be found on page 5 of the Episodes sub-forum. With a distinguished, orderly section for featured episodes and levels, it would always be remembered. And aspiring designers would have something to aim for, something longer-lasting than posting about their latest level or winning a contest, the results and positivity of which may be forgotten a year later without proper curation.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:01 am

i've noticed the general category is no longer visible as guest. a new change, i reckon? or maybe i've been blind for months.

also congrats mrdoublea!

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:17 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:01 am
I've noticed the general category is no longer visible as guests. a new change, I reckon? or maybe I've been blind for months.

also congrats mrdoublea!
SSX told me it's some kind of Experiment they are doing right now.

At this moment of writing this here, it's currently visible again for guests.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Seemed a little odd when the general category vanished after I logged out. I'm a bit curious what was the purpose of that "experiment?" Unless if it's going to be reverted anytime soon?

Tipene5
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Pronouns: He

Re: Augmenting an NPC

Postby Tipene5 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm

Enjl will probably know this one. About your tutorial on Lunalua for augmenting an npc, how did you find the code for the npc? (The Galoomba/Goomba)

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Re: Augmenting an NPC

Postby Cedur » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:47 am

Tipene5 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm
Enjl will probably know this one. About your tutorial on Lunalua for augmenting an npc, how did you find the code for the npc? (The Galoomba/Goomba)

what thread did you intend responding to? There's no thread titled "Augmenting an NPC" ...

Tipene5
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Pronouns: He

Postby Tipene5 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Hello. I'm asking, how do you open an existing npc's code? For example, if I wanna open a Goomba's code, (npc-89) I would do something to make it happen in Visual Studio. Do you know how I can do that? Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you!

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Tipene5 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:12 pm
Hello. I'm asking, how do you open an existing npc's code? For example, if I wanna open a Goomba's code, (npc-89) I would do something to make it happen in Visual Studio. Do you know how I can do that? Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you!
this isn't the correct place to ask. you should probably make a topic in "help & support" for these kinds of things.
the source code for the goomba (as well as the rest of the basegame npcs) can be found here. (look for instances of ".Type = 89")

Return to “Site Discussion”