Health (Mental and Physical)

Off-topic discussion.
Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Health (Mental and Physical)

Postby Blake Izayoi » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm

In today's world, both mental and physical health are often sidelined and we often forget to take good care of it.
So if you have problems that you want to talk about, feel free to do that here. If you want to help others, that's very appreciated, but only help if you know how to and be very serious about it!

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Re: Depression. (Please act mature)

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm

I suffered a depression the last year due to personal things in my life, I didn't consider myself whortly of anything and that I was nothing more than a deception, someone annoying, boring without much to say, and that always does something wrong, something that was also the cause of my depression was because an attack of envy I had to a friend. It lasted 5 months, until a teacher told me what I wanted to hear, instead of someone who does it just for make me feel better

However, nowaday I constantly feel sad several days of the week, but I wouldn't call it a depression, because a depression is something much more serious

At least it's not like in 2016 when I wanted to commit suicide, glad I didn't

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 am

I pretty much dealt with depression most of the time ever since senior year of High School! Had to take anti-depressant.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am

I've never had depression myself however I talked to someone I work with yesterday who was diagnosed with depression and PTSD on her birthday a few days ago--really tough times

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 18, 2018 8:29 am

PixelPest wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am
I've never had depression myself however I talked to someone I work with yesterday who was diagnosed with depression and PTSD on her birthday a few days ago--really tough times
You are lucky, I've met a lot of people, and when I said a lot I mean A LOT who suffer from depression, the worst part is that 50% of them are my friends, and sometimes I don't know how to help them...

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 am

It's important to speak up about these kinds of issues, so kudos for coming forward about this.

I have a rather extensive history with depression. I was properly diagnosed at age 16 I believe, but it's been a prevalent part of my life since middle school. It took three counsellors, a suicide attempt, a year supply of prozac and a weekend in the closed ward before I got proper therapy, and after that my life started to actually improve. A common misconception about therapy is that you go to the therapist, they tell you what to do different and then you get better, but it's really much more than that. You have to actively put in the effort. You have to take apart your entire psyche, find the root of your problems and then still find the energy to overcome and work on those issues. Another misconception is that your issues go away once you figure them out, but the truth is overcoming depression is a lifelong process. Unlearning bad behaviors and relearning good behaviors takes a lot of time and energy. But the good news is, it's extremely rewarding and genuinly life-changing. If you struggle with depression, find a good therapist who you're comfortable with. Once you have found someone like that, you can start to figure out what is wrong and what you can do to fix it, and it results in a massive personality growth. My issues are far from being fixed, but I understand now who I am as a person, why I am that way and what I can do to work with it. Depression doesn't go away, you just learn to live with it, and it absolutely becomes easier over time.

One big thing that I learned right in the beginning is to stop assigning blame. Depression has this ability to make us feel awful for just existing, when really we don't have any fault in it. Stop comparing yourself to "normal" neurotypical people. Your depression doesn't define you. It's a part of you, yes, but if you manage to not let it overpower you, it's still possible to live a fulfilling life. So don't be afraid to reach out. If you struggle, talk to anyone who will listen, your parents, your teachers, your doctor. Get the help you need. Don't be afraid. It can get better.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I've been depressed after dealing with some losses, but I've gotten a handle on it for a few years now. It takes patience but not much. After dealing with it, anxiety came but I'm learning and have learned a bit with how to handle that too. As for depression, it was a matter of understanding that it's impossible not to have purpose. At my worst, I realized that even if I didn't have a purpose with being alive and I had it so bad then my purpose was to be sure other people knew their purpose and wouldn't feel as bad as I did. I've mentioned this to other people that I've known to have trouble with depression, and they need to find their own way out but they always do and at the very least when they understand this they get on the right track. Also I don't want to be one of those "just run lmao" people giving simple cure tips, yet I do feel that: breathing exercises, daily meditation, cold showers, eating right, and brief walks can help regulate your mood. It's different for everyone, and unfortunately there's no cure and no easy cures at that, but that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. There's other resources like white noise, and pink noise to help with insomnia that aid with good sleep hygiene. Ultimately I'd ask that you try to look into what you prefer and try searching for guided meditation and breathing exercises.

Here's something I think you may find interesting:

Good luck to you, and that small group of people you mentioned.

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It... it worked...

Postby GforGoomba » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 pm

I am not dealing with any depression but calling 1-800-273-8255 will help any suicidal thoughts

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Sat May 19, 2018 2:21 am

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:23 pm

GhostHawk wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm
Also I don't want to be one of those "just run lmao" people giving simple cure tips, yet I do feel that: breathing exercises, daily meditation, cold showers, eating right, and brief walks can help regulate your mood. It's different for everyone, and unfortunately there's no cure and no easy cures at that, but that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. There's other resources like white noise, and pink noise to help with insomnia that aid with good sleep hygiene. Ultimately I'd ask that you try to look into what you prefer and try searching for guided meditation and breathing exercises.
Thing is. I have depression mainly due to a lot of bad shit happening in the past. Like, really god damn traumatic shit. Also, the reason why I straight up refuse any help with my depression is because mental healthcare is a big part of the reason i became depressed in the first place. Id rather not go into details. But ive essentially been treated like I did something wrong simply for being autistic and having anger issues all my life. I got thrown into a place that hardly qualifies as a school and handles all types of problem children. Consider it a literal mental asylum with classes and exams. And even though I no longer have severe anger issues, I cant really help myself when a totally batshit crazy person just randomly attacks me. Take into consideration that this school houses everything from small things like autism all the way up to antisocial personality disorder, borderline and dissociative identity disorder. And you might start to see a bit of the problem. And of course the best thing they could think of to help me was a good old bucket 'o pills.

So yeah, I do not want to be diagnosed with depression. Its as simple as that, its just not an option. Last time I got labelled with a disorder it essentially MADE my youth a living hell. So yeah, im not falling for that one again.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 am

I've been depressed before because of family drama and problems related to family , it was hard for me , i was always sad and always angry , i just wanted to have a good normal life like everyone else had , my family just got ruined because of stupid reasons , now i am allowed to see half of my family once per year for around 4 weeks , and that's sad + i am now living over 2700 km away from them so it's very hard to visit them outside of the 4 weeks period , right now i am not depressed BUT sometimes i tend to feel depressed , like really , really sad for either small stuff like arguments or because of the past , it's like my past haunts me and i just can't forget all of my bad experiences in life , it's very easy for me to forget all of the good stuff ... this is very hard to deal with , i always need someone to motivate me because sometimes i just feel like piece of garbage that shouldn't exist , but i am trying slowly to recover because my life is slowly getting better after all of my shit experiences + my parents think that depression is a childish behavior so i have to be very careful when they are around because if i feel depressed they will get angry at me for feeling that way and ... yeah , i am not saying that my parents are bad , but i am saying that the way their parents teached them about disorders just made them think that stuff like depression are childish behaviors that are not meant for someone like me...
I hope that everyone can beat depression , i am slowly trying to do that as well.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Witchking666 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:23 pm
So yeah, I do not want to be diagnosed with depression. Its as simple as that, its just not an option. Last time I got labelled with a disorder it essentially MADE my youth a living hell. So yeah, im not falling for that one again.
I only meant to share what worked for me and what I felt would work for you, I'm not asking you to get a diagnosis on anything unless you need/want to.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 pm

I've had some weird history with clinical vs hormone depression, been diagnosed with stuff only to be told that was false, the whole dealio. Definitely something that I don't want to stick around, regardless of what the source actually is.

Oshi
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Flair: ==> cool text! <==

Postby Oshi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 pm

I definitely don't have depression, however there are things in my life that make me feel either miserable about myself or make me have complete and utter hatred towards someone that does not even deserve it (although sometimes they might). I tend to make up alternate realities where I was born in a more wealthier and better family, and that life is completely perfect, however I actually really like the way things are now, but not always unfortunately. In fact, I have huge mental debates on whether or not I should leave everyone behind and do everything myself, or something related. I know that I should not be thinking this, but it happens. I think it's because I have some sort of anger problem, but that can't quite be the case because most of the time I am able to keep cool, but sometimes not so much. If I have any chance of fixing this problem, I will need to look into what exactly is making me feel this way and conquer it.

Another thing that controls how I live is my indulgence, which may or may not be part of a kind of OCD. When I say indulgence, I am referring to my extreme and nonsensical want of something. And when I have indulgence in me, I'll try to seek it out however possible, going out of my way to do it. Now, this can be almost anything, even something non-physical, like a mental achievement of sorts. This doesn't always need to be negative, as sometimes it even helps me achieve huge milestones, but sometimes the indulgence can lead into something bigger than that, something that even I don't know about. You know what the scary part about it is? It can tie into my anger, which REALLY makes things more terrifying.

The last thing I'm going to bring up is the fact that all of this probably stems off of some sort of mental illness I can't even comprehend I have...although it might just be something I picked up from a past experience.

Also, I know that all that isn't exactly related, but it's something that I needed to say. I could go into more detail about it, buuuuuuut I think that it's good enough.

Jerrysmbxworld
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Smile

Postby Jerrysmbxworld » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm

I have noticed something about my life. I don't think that i have ever been truly miserable or (At least) feeling grief about anything. Usually i get upset or angry rather than feel sad. Also don't understand what causes people to get depressed and commit suicide, it puzzles me of how many people have commit suicide and recently Kate Spade & Anthony Bourdain, Anthony, being one of the most influential chefs in the world, and Kate, whom's fashion empire is built around 2.4 Billion dollars. And coincidentally, we both committed suicide on the same week and by hanging. I just never could understand why people do that, I'm aware that their severely depressed, but just why? You have the support of your family, Friends, your fans, you should be at least happy that you made it this far and still going. Another example would be personally, one of my favorite comedians, Robin Williams, that pretty much shocked the entire world when that happened, and his last picture was him taking a picture with a fan. He looked pretty well to me. It's very subtle to me how that happens.

aero
Palom
Palom

Diet and fasting

Postby aero » Sun May 05, 2019 12:34 am

I eat whatever, but limit my drinks to water and unsweetened tea. Sometimes I try out intermittent fasting; I'm doing an 16:8 fast right now. I've lost extra weight and it feels good really. Replacing soda with sparkling water made it really easy to quick drinking calories and go water/tea only. Keto sounds cool, and so does the Mediterranean diet for all the health benefits but like I enjoy basically having no restrictions on food groups. Might try 18:6 fasting eventually but overall I'm pretty content with occasional 16:8 fasting. I'm at a 23 BMI and aiming for somewhere between 21-22 so it really would just be a matter of preference than health needs to do any particular diet.

Does anyone here have a special diet or do any type of fasting?

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Re: Diet and fasting

Postby krakin » Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 am

I sometimes eat some kind of fruit or vegetables with my meals, and I try to drink lots of water before I drink anything sugary. My weight has been consistently around 150 lbs., but I want to lose about 20 and start exercising more because I have low energy and stamina. I tried fasting once, but I started getting extremely hungry and couldn't help but start binge eating everything in the fridge.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun May 05, 2019 2:31 am

Sugar/carbs will make it harder to fast. Tea with lemon and/or coffee helps without breaking a fast. A 12:12 and 16:8 intermittent fast can train you to drink water instead of eat so you can tell if you're actually hungry or just thirsty. Meats are also great to have in the eating window. It'd still be difficult at first but eventually your body adapts and you don't really feel hungry after a while; it will take a few days.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Sun May 05, 2019 2:38 am

I've heard that water is good for your gut bacteria, and that the more gut bacteria you have, the easier it is to lose weight.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:57 am

Nah, i am trying to have some kind of diet but everytime something ruins it, i really need a diet because at my current state, i am not ok with my weight however it's really hard to give up on the stuff that taste delicious and make me overall happier, i will be however following this thread to see what you guys are doing so i can try out these stuff and see if i can finally have success with losing weight.

Return to “Sandbox”