The Icon of Chaos – Player Sign-ups, Charater Creation & General Information

Participate in Mario-themed roleplays with the community!
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

The Icon of Chaos – Player Sign-ups, Charater Creation & General Information

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi, and welcome to the first campaign made for Mario Universe D&D!

The Icon of Chaos

a Mario Universe D&D campaign by Pseudo from the SMBX community

Critical Info

Character Restrictions
- Level 1 to start out
- Only Mario universe races are allowed (no humans)
- Classes and archetypes must use the most updated version available (Revised Ranger, v2 over v1, etc.)
- Stats are generated via the Standard Array or 27-pointbuy (both are available on 5etools)
- Other than these restrictions, all content on 5etools (https://5etools.com/5etools.html) and in Mario Universe D&D documents is allowed.
Other Houserules
- The Lucky feat turns disadvantage into a regular roll.
- The use of spells and archetypes (and any other material) with the source “Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic” (UAMM) is strictly prohibited.
- If you create a backstory for your character that goes more in-depth than their background, you may learn one (1) feat that you qualify for as a level 1 character.

Backstory & Premise

It’s been hundreds of years since the end of the legendary war between the Koopa Kingdom and the Mushroom Kingdom. While relations are still strained between the two countries due to their violent history, it is a much more peaceful time than the era of human warriors battling against the ruthless Koopa King and his many children (or maybe they were just his henchmen – no two historians agree on that account).

Humans left the land long ago, but they are still spoken of as the heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom, and stories about them are told around the campfire in the Koopa Kingdom. Sometimes they are even venerated as religious figures, arbiters of justice in what is now seen as a world without concrete heroes and villains – in either kingdom.

The Mushroom Kingdom is ruled by Princess Chai T. Agaria, the sixth member of the Agaria Toad dynasty, and a relatively conservative figure in the ever-changing Mushroom Kingdom. She is beloved for bringing an end to trade disputes with the Beanbean Kingdom at the beginning of her rule a decade ago, and yet also loathed by some for continuing the official denial of Toad participation in some historical conflicts.

The Koopa Kingdom is ruled by King Iggy Koopa IV, a member of the very same dynasty that ruled the kingdom during the legendary war. Viewed as incompetent by his critics and a hero by his followers, he is somewhat unusual in Koopa history for attempting to work toward peace with neighboring kingdoms, seen as capitulating to the oppressor kingdom’s draconian trade stipulations by more traditionalist Koopas.

The party has found themselves staying nearby each other in Stompwood, a small Mushroomish logging town near the Koopish border inhabited mostly by Goombas. Rumors of a dangerous cult with an interest in ancient history and lore run rampant in local communities, putting everyone a bit on edge. Still, politics at the border are more peaceful than they’ve ever been – what could possibly go wrong?

Setting Information & Maps

The Koopa Kingdom
Spoiler: show
The Koopa Kingdom is best-known for its harsh terrain – a fact that many Koopa citizens blame on historical border pressure from the Mushroom Kingdom. Traditional Koopa beliefs hold that the areas to the south of the kingdom, such as Forever Forest and the Flower Fields, rightly belong under Koopa sovereignty. It is located to the northwest of the Mushroom Kingdom. The kingdom is somewhat more industrialized than much of the Mushroom Kingdom despite being sparsely populated in comparison, and it commands a large navy, both traditional and aerial (using airship designs whose secrets have still not been uncovered by Mushroomish spies), mostly centered in the cultural hub of Mortonia. The kingdom's centerpiece is Grumble Volcano, the location of Iggy's Castle (the official residence of Koopa monarchs, its name changing to reflect the current ruler), surrounded by a river of lava and the Drybar mountain range. The Drybar Mountains also include the Boos' Mountain and the Village of Hallow, the birthplace of the Boo race. Koopa Troopas and their relatives in the Koopa family of creatures are the most populous inhabitants of the kingdom, and they have ruled it since time immemorial. However, other races inhabit the land as well, mostly outside of cultural hubs.

The Mushroom Kingdom
The Mushroom Kingdom has a reputation in the wider world for being a particularly peaceful region, even though this is not as true as Mushroomish politicians would have foreigners believe. It is a bit more culturally homogenous compared to the Koopa Kingdom, which it has a long history of conflict with, although tensions have died down in recent times. The ruling Toad people are mostly concentrated in Toad Town, and while they are found elsewhere, the kingdom is rather ethnically diverse overall compared to its neighbors, containing very sizable populations of Goombas, Boos, Bob-ombs, and Koopa Troopas. The Mushroom Kingdom has a long history of peaceful relations with the Beanbean Kingdom to the west, a neutral party in most historical conflicts. The Mushroomish military is not very large or well-developed compared to the Koopish military, though the kingdom does employ a standing army primarily composed of Toad and Goomba soldiers, and a navy mostly made up of Bob-ombs. The Mushroom Kingdom is not named only for the Mushroomish Toad people but also the mushrooms that naturally grow in the plains and forests of the kingdom, many of which are imbued with strange powers.

How Does It Work?

- Please begin by familiarizing yourself with the basics of D&D 5E, if you haven't already. If anyone needs any help with this don't hesitate to ask in the #roleplay channel on the SMBX Discord! I will accept players of any experience level, but you need to understand what's going on at least a little to be able to play effectively.
- Sign up for the campaign in this thread by posting a completed character sheet! Again, we're happy to help you build a character sheet on Discord. Make sure the character sheet follows the rules set out by Mario Universe D&D documents and the above listed houserules. Also, be sure to include a backstory to qualify for a feat at level 1!
- When you submit your character, please also include some kind of visual representation of your character. This could be a drawing you did yourself, a low-quality shop, a piece of official artwork that you particularly like, or anything really. This will be used to represent your character on maps and so on.

- Once the campaign starts, everyone who's playing needs to be active and keep up with what's going on in the thread. If someone isn't contributing to the party they might be replaced, because party cohesion is super important to making D&D work well!
- We're doing this in a play-by-post format for at least the time being. That means I (the Game Master/Dungeon Master if you're into that sort of thing) make posts in the main thread saying what's going on in the story. Meanwhile, y'all play the game by saying what your character thinks/does/says/etc..
- During combat, I'll provide at least a rudimentary battle map. All dice rolls will be handled by me, but you can of course say what it is that you want to do and such. Feel free to coordinate with the party before picking an action.

Player Sign-ups & Their Characters

- Spinda as Lunaga Lassia the Noki Warlock
- Danny as Shif T. the Toad Rogue
- Electriking as Sergeant Y. the Yoshi Fighter
- thehelmetguy1 as Darian the Green Koopa Troopa Fighter
- MECHDRAGON777 as Shina Essette the Yoshi Sorcerer
-

(note to Spinda and Danny: please repost your character sheets here for posterity and so on)

I'm planning on starting the campaign with six players. If people drop out of the campaign, which will probably happen because it's how these things tend to go (I am not condoning or recommending this behavior, just documenting a trend), anyone who didn't make it into the initial sign-ups will be added if they're still up for it.

I'm super looking forward to this and I hope you all are too! Let's make this work this time around.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Re: The Icon of Chaos – Player Sign-ups, Charater Creation & General Information

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Reposted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q5S ... sp=sharing

Edit: I'll provide a visual representation soon.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Re: The Icon of Chaos – Player Sign-ups, Charater Creation & General Information

Postby underFlo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:09 pm

I've put the backstory into a seperate document.

Image: Image

WildWEEGEE
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: C# more like Db
Pronouns: he/him

Postby WildWEEGEE » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Danny wrote:Reposted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q5S ... sp=sharing

Edit: I'll provide a visual representation soon.
Your profile avatar is a good representation.

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

Postby erkyp3rky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:05 am

I would do it but I hate roleplaying and I would probably end up stuffing everything up.

WildWEEGEE
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: C# more like Db

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am

I know this isn’t gonna sound good but I don’t think many people are going to play. Even if I join there’d still need to be the other half of the players which is a bit sad...

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm

WildWEEGEE wrote:I know this isn’t gonna sound good but I don’t think many people are going to play. Even if I join there’d still need to be the other half of the players which is a bit sad...
Give it time. There are several people that implied that they plan to join at the first thread. Creating characters isn't a thing that takes a few minutes, it can take hours for first timers. Also, speaking of this, I might as well get a character

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby TheNewGuy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:32 am

How to create a character?
Sorry I find it confusing.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 am

TheNewGuy wrote:How to create a character?
Follow the instructions here, except when you’re supposed to pick a race, pick from the Mario D&D Races Google doc instead of from the 5etools website. If you need any further help, @ me on the #roleplay channel on the SMBX Discord server.

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji

Postby TheNewGuy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 am

Pseudo wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:How to create a character?
Follow the instructions here, except when you’re supposed to pick a race, pick from the Mario D&D Races Google doc instead of from the 5etools website. If you need any further help, @ me on the #roleplay channel on the SMBX Discord server.
Thanks a lot! Really helped me.
Now I will be making my character.

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16 am

Can you please make an exception to the "no humans" rule? There have been numerous important interactions between the Mushroom Kingdom and the human world, and I absolutely resent the fact that I cannot play as one of the various human characters that make Nintendo's great legendarium great.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 am

In case you can't read the features and traits and backstory
BTB wrote:Can you please make an exception to the "no humans" rule? There have been numerous important interactions between the Mushroom Kingdom and the human world, and I absolutely resent the fact that I cannot play as one of the various human characters that make Nintendo's great legendarium great.
Pretty sure New Donk City is not in this game you know.

Artemis009
Bit
Bit

Postby Artemis009 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm

BTB wrote:Can you please make an exception to the "no humans" rule? There have been numerous important interactions between the Mushroom Kingdom and the human world, and I absolutely resent the fact that I cannot play as one of the various human characters that make Nintendo's great legendarium great.
Why would you want to play as a human when you have a number of unique species at your leisure?

BTB
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby BTB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Artemis009 wrote:
Why would you want to play as a human when you have a number of unique species at your leisure?
Humans are far superior in intellect, strength, and ability compared to other species. There is a reason Mario is the star of the show and not Kenny the Koopa. If I have to pick another species I will, but I would really rather play as one of the better characters like Uncle Tony or Raj.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I would join, but i feel like i don't have the patience to fill in all of the slots that need to be filled out.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Mosaic wrote:I would join, but i feel like i don't have the patience to fill in all of the slots that need to be filled out.
Yeah, I would too like to join, but I don't have the patience for filling in the character slots. Plus, I have a live outside SMBX

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:58 am

Mosaic wrote:I would join, but i feel like i don't have the patience to fill in all of the slots that need to be filled out.
For the record you don't need to fill out Aristo's personality sheet from the other thread – only a regular D&D character sheet is necessary.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:46 pm

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Image: show
PDF: show
[/spokler]

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It... it worked...

Postby GforGoomba » Sat May 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Return to “Roleplaying”