Pokémon Topic

This is the place for video games!
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Pokémon Topic

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 pm

1500th topic. Also, I don't know why this wasn't here yet.

Feel free to talk about both the games and the anime - they can be split into separate topics later, if necessary.

I've been watching the entirety of the XY anime (the dub, so if you're Quill and like to watch the Japanese version please don't spoil anything), and I gotta say it's pretty sweet. Clemont is cool with his inventions, and Bonnie is hilarious. Serena also is a great character and I guess has a canonical crush on Ash. So if you're into shipping...yeah, there you go. Movie 17 is looking pretty cool as well.

As for the games, I haven't gotten X or Y yet. If they end up making Z I'll probably get that, but if X2/Y2 happens I'll probably just get Y.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Pokémon Topic

Postby Julia Pseudo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 am

X & Y were great. I had really catastrophized about how different they were probably going to be since the announcement but it turns out that the gameplay wasn't really changed much at all. They (Y for me) were really fun and a good entry in the series. Fairy type definitely improved game balance significantly. All they were missing was a good post-game; their post-game was really shit.

Also spoilers-ish, two new moves, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves, both 90 power, 10 PP ground-type moves with special effects, were discovered by some hacker this morning. They're probably related to Zygarde's alternate forme(s), which is pretty exciting. If they do X & Y 2 though it'd be pretty lame.
Last edited by Julia Pseudo on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshibrothers
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Yoshibrothers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 am

Joey wrote:Serena also is a great character and I guess has a canonical crush on Ash. So if you're into shipping...
Oh boy, its like Ash and Misty all over again, only this time there is a backstory. Pokeshipping aside, I haven't really seen much of the XY anime yet since I haven't had the time. However, I do have Pokemon X, which is a fantastic step-up to the Pokemon franchise. With the help of Pokemon Bank and some pre-planned Pokemon catching from gen III onward, I have just about every known pokemon except for certain legendaries.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 pm

I've never played or liked Pokemon, my excuse why is because I think it's childish, and the gameplay (judging by trailers, previews and walkthroughs) is bad, and the concept is fresh and is overused (get cards, fight enemies, that's all).

I'm not going to ever try it out, frankly.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm

That sounds really closed-minded, frankly. You could probably get a used Gen 4 game for pretty cheap these days. It's really worth a try, the games are fun.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:00 pm

So uh, i really like emerald version, i still own it (but the battery, eh) and i have Pearl and Blue version.
imo just like Platinum they'll make Z

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Gen III or go home.

I've really only played LeafGreen - I also own Gold and White but haven't done much with them. Smash Bros. was actually what got me into Pokémon, and I then started watching the show and got a game. I watched the season 10 (Diamond and Pearl) premier in 2007 and wasn't impressed - I can't remember exactly why but I'm sure it had to do with May/Max (or really just May) being gone, and I also didn't end up getting any Gen IV games. The new anime is really good, though, so that's what got me back into it. I'm usually someone who likes the classic stuff (hence my slight distaste for the DP and BW shows), but XY is convincing me otherwise. Not to say that it tops the classic stuff, but it's good. Like I said, I might get Y.
Kep wrote:(get cards, fight enemies, that's all)
While I think you were just being general, the cards have nothing to do with the games (unless there's a special event or something, I don't know).

I also really hope they make Z instead of doing X2/Y2 - I'm kinda interested in the third games of each generation (having not played Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum), and I feel like Z would be a good place for that.

Namyrr
Spike
Spike

Postby Namyrr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:02 pm

I have a bunch of ROM hacks on my phone like Light Platinum, Fire Red Omega, and Fuligin. I've played every game from Fire Red up to Black and White. I'm going to start Black 2 on my way up north for Easter.

I also might be one of the only people to be a fan of Mystery Dungeon.

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ace » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Kep wrote:the concept is fresh and is overused
what a contradiction
Kep wrote:(get cards, fight enemies, that's all).
what
why are you in the pokemon topic if you don't know what pokemon is
you only get cards in the trading card game, friend
Kep wrote:I'm not going to ever try it out, frankly.
therefore all your opinions about pokemon will forever be baseless, given that reviews and trailers are hardly sufficient to both cover and convey the depth and appeal of pokemon.
Last edited by Ace on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 am

I just learned about GBA4iOS from a friend. Damn, this is going to be fun. Gen 3 every day.

ragont
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Postby ragont » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 am

Kep wrote:I've never played or liked Pokemon, my excuse why is because I think it's childish, and the gameplay (judging by trailers, previews and walkthroughs) is bad, and the concept is fresh and is overused (get cards, fight enemies, that's all).

uninstall internet
plz

there are so many things wrong with this post
and ill have nien point them out shortly
Last edited by ragont on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MistakesWereMade
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MistakesWereMade » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 am

Kep wrote:I've never played or liked Pokemon
You've never liked something you haven't played, ok.
my excuse why is because I think it's childish
Super mario and flappy bird are for very grown up people,
and the gameplay (judging by trailers, previews and walkthroughs) is bad
it's a fucking rpg, how does it have bad gameplay.
and the concept is fresh and is overused
"This level is average, it's designed quite nicely, it's boringly linear and bland -Kyo"
(get cards, fight enemies, that's all).
I think i've reached the conclusion, you have confused pokemon with yu gi oh
Last edited by MistakesWereMade on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 am

^^^^^^^^^ I can't even.

Funny, Gen 3 was the one I skipped. I had Pokemon Red, and Gold. Then I got Pearl after being enticed back into the series. I never finished that game, and I decided that my renewed interest in it was mistaken. Then I was persuaded to get Pokemon X... heh.
I have a love-hate relationship with the series, but I never played the games with guides or anything and I never understood the deeper mechanics of the series until recently. So now, at least, I definitely understand the appeal.
THERE'S JUST ONLY SO MANY TIMES I CAN FIGHT HOUNDOOM IN TEAM MAGMA'S LAIR BEFORE I START WONDERING WHY THE HELL THIS GAME IS SO REPETITIVE.

But I went nuts with this game for a while; caught myself several Shiny Magikarps and traded them off for legendary Pokemon in the GTS, and then kept a red Gyarados for my team. I stopped playing around the point Pokebank came in because I got bored, but I'd been breeding Smeargles and teaching them Happy Hour to trade off in Wonder Trade.

I feel like "Get cards, fight enemies" should be the tagline for the entire Pokemon series. It's way more suitable than GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 am

I don't understand what "get cards, fight enemies" is supposed to mean, Kep. You're confusing the CCG with the games, I think. The games are awesome and don't have any cards, unlike the CCG.

Also everything Nien said is right.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

credit card game???

I knew Pokémon taught you life lessons, but now I know how to manage my finances!

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:39 pm

No, collectible card game is what I meant. Perhaps TCG is a better abbreviation.

Megar
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Megar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm

...did somebody say POKEMON?
Surely you can figure out my opinion yourself.
(hint: look right!)

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:No, collectible card game is what I meant. Perhaps TCG is a better abbreviation.
Ah, gotcha. I was just playing off of that because the only thing I could think of was "credit card".

Yoshibrothers
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Yoshibrothers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Kep wrote:I've never played or liked Pokemon, my excuse why is because I think it's childish, and the gameplay (judging by trailers, previews and walkthroughs) is bad, and the concept is fresh and is overused (get cards, fight enemies, that's all).

Judge a game you never played? Its like watching you judge levels before you play by just looking at the screenshots. Now tell me, how is Pokemon childish when people of all ages play it? I would also like to point out that we are on a Mario forum, yet you don't consider that "childish" like you do Pokemon. Have you played an RPG? You clearly haven't if you seem not to have the patience to play this game. Lets think for a moment. You only get cards if you play Pokemon Trading Card Game. They don't appear in other Pokemon media. You battle trainers, not enemies. Fucking team rocket isn't around every corner 24/7. Then again, you wouldn't even know what Team Rocket is. You'd probably judge that too, am I wrong? There is much more to Pokemon than your mind can hold, so if you have the courtesy to NOT be judgmental, go pick up a fucking Pokemon game and play it.

FallingSnow
Nipper
Nipper

Postby FallingSnow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Joey wrote:credit card game???

I knew Pokémon taught you life lessons, but now I know how to manage my finances!
Well, Crystal taught me that sending my mom half of my money makes me poor!

Return to “Video Games”