Yoshi's Archipelago {SMBX}

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: Yoshi's Archipelago {SMBX}

Postby MegaDood » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:56 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:15 am
MegaDood wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 am
This looks like an interesting episode. I especially like how the World Map looks.
The download link looks strange to me though. Is the site safe?

it's not strange, it's from a different community
Ah ok. So I'm guessing the site is safe then?

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: o.o
Pronouns: I'm a dude

Postby halibabica » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:04 am

MegaDood wrote:
I daresay it's safer than most generic file hosting services. You don't even have to guess which download link is the correct one. :3

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm

halibabica wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:04 am
MegaDood wrote:
I daresay it's safer than most generic file hosting services. You don't even have to guess which download link is the correct one. :3
Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

SDA - SMBX
Spike
Spike
Flair: Legacy Editor FTW, PGE FTL

Postby SDA - SMBX » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 am

Is this maybe the best SMBX episode I could play?
I cannot say anything else.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 am

It's definitely one of the best and most polished.

SDA - SMBX
Spike
Spike
Flair: Legacy Editor FTW, PGE FTL

Postby SDA - SMBX » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:34 pm

If you guys think I'm gonna make an episode like this all by myself, you are crazy. I am probably the worst episode creator ever on SMBX.
Spoiler: show
A clear insult to myself, that is.

Ridley12
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Ridley12 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm

(I apologize for necroposting in advance.) It's a shame someone can't update this somehow to work with newer versions because it looks and sounds really good!

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Ridley12 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm
(I apologize for necroposting in advance.) It's a shame someone can't update this somehow to work with newer versions because it looks and sounds really good!

What's the problem with it?

This can be played on Beta 3, which is still the newest version to play episodes until the soon-to-be release of Beta 4, and it's also gonna work on Beta 4. Heck, it was made with the legacy editor.

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper

Postby halibabica » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Actually, since the custom graphic load time was a bit of a bear, I made the download into its own version of SMBX. It's still ver 1.3.0.1 since that's what it was made in, but you don't need to keep around an old SMBX version to make it work. It comes packaged with everything it needs.

Also, a boss rush now exists.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 am

halibabica wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Actually, since the custom graphic load time was a bit of a bear, I made the download into its own version of SMBX. It's still ver 1.3.0.1 since that's what it was made in, but you don't need to keep around an old SMBX version to make it work. It comes packaged with everything it needs.

That's a bit stupid for me, since I can't enjoy Beta 4's score progression under these circumstances. I'll just insert it normally in my Worlds folder.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon May 04, 2020 7:48 am

halibabica wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Just for the record: Beta 4 features episode-wide graphics folders (structured exactly like the base graphics folder). Putting graphics in them makes SMBX2 load them instead of the basegame graphics, meaning that episode-wide custom graphics don't unnecessarily contribute to load times.

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper

Postby halibabica » Mon May 04, 2020 7:58 pm

That's all well and good, but I still don't trust cross-version compatibility, so I make no guarantees about the gameplay if you choose to run it in anything but the version it was designed for.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue May 05, 2020 4:26 am

halibabica wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:58 pm
That's all well and good, but I still don't trust cross-version compatibility, so I make no guarantees about the gameplay if you choose to run it in anything but the version it was designed for.

except there are no issues with forward compatibility, as devs and members have emphasized dozens of times

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

A few answers wrt beta 4 compatibility and graphics:
There are some graphics that show up weirdly or have black boxes (the rain platforms in tempest valley, the half-transparent platforms in mirage manor, the jumping giant koopas in green thumb, etc.) but the episode remains functional despite this

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby tangy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 am

I did it :D

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Could you reupload the game with the .exe file named "SMBX.exe"? The TheXTech conversion kit requires the .exe to be named "smbx.exe" (or "asmbxt.exe" and "a2mbxt.exe") to work.
Also, does the .exe file even had any custom hardcoded graphics in it?

0lhi
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech QC

Postby 0lhi » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 am

lan vuhoang wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:15 pm
Could you reupload the game with the .exe file named "SMBX.exe"? The TheXTech conversion kit requires the .exe to be named "smbx.exe" (or "asmbxt.exe" and "a2mbxt.exe") to work.
You can rename the .exe yourself, no?
lan vuhoang wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:15 pm
Also, does the .exe file even had any custom hardcoded graphics in it?
Yoshi's Archipelago has the same .exe as 1.3.0.1 (MD5 cc9bdd488c113da4f033ae0d56ffa25c), so there are no custom hardcoded graphics.
tangeruse wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm
A few answers wrt beta 4 compatibility and graphics:
There are some graphics that show up weirdly or have black boxes (the rain platforms in tempest valley, the half-transparent platforms in mirage manor, the jumping giant koopas in green thumb, etc.) but the episode remains functional despite this
If this still occurs on SMBX2, you can fix the issue by converting all graphics to PNGs with a modern release of PGE/Moondust.

TheXTech fixed this a year ago: https://github.com/Wohlstand/TheXTech/c ... 874b096a78

116taj
Spike
Spike

Postby 116taj » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:30 am

I know I'm seriously late, but I had to share my thoughts on this after just beating the last level.

This was a lot of fun. Definitely up there with SMSE and NGCA as one of the best episodes I've played. The system for tracking which worlds should be unlocked in the HQ was done very well, as it wasn't obvious unless you checked the level in the editor. Most of the worlds were distinct from each other, although I found the choice to do a volcano/cavern world and a dark land/lava world a bit odd. The levels are mostly very fun to play, but world 8 overall seemed to have a major difficulty spike which faded as I went into world 9. The episode also feels like it doesn't know when to end. First you save Peach,
Spoiler: show
the first ending, then you kill some evil Toad, but then it's not over and you kill him again, and then you go to the middle island for a level literally called "Yoshi's World Tour", but then you go to the bonus world and kill all the koopalings, but then you go back all the way to the beginning, unlock the true last level and beat the creator themselves. It's a lot like 3D World or Odyssey in this regard, but here the last few levels are original, although they are weaker than the previous ones.
The unlockable characters don't really add anything to the game at all, especially when Yoshi, the most useful powerup is exclusive to the non-unlockables. Speaking of Yoshi, once you unlock the Blue/Black ones kind of break a lot of the levels, in terms of being able to fly over all the enemies and swooping in for the flowers. But you can't really design half the game around a yoshi that the player may or may not have, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

All of the negatives above are basically nitpicks, if any of this truly was a big deal I wouldn't have 100%'d the game in a day and will probably regret doing so very soon. There is not a single level that I felt was unfair, annoying, boring, or pointless. Yoshi's Archipelago is something everyone who's touched SMBX and will touch SMBX should play, for it is a near masterpiece that shows why SMBX can still be relevant in the age of Mario Maker.

JrAkcel
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby JrAkcel » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:35 pm

Hello there,

I know this episode has been there for a while, but I just started playing it, and I was wondering why some of the level crash for me, as I tried playing the level "Scurvy Skyrates" and "Mini-boss factory", each time I tried to launch thoses levels, no matter if it was from my save file or from the level editor, it always show me this error: Run-time error '13': Type mismatch and I just can't understand why.

Even after redownloading this episode again, thoses level keep on crashing the game, I even look up online to found a solution but didn't found anything useful. Also, we can even see gameplay of people who are playing thoses levels without any issues, is that mean that this is a special case?

Thanks you for any anwser that could help me.

-JrAkcel

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby tangy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:58 am

JrAkcel wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:35 pm
Run-time error '13': Type mismatch
Control Panel -> Region -> Change date, time, or number formats -> Additional Settings -> Numbers -> Decimal symbol
Change it from a comma , to a dot .

Return to “Episodes”