SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Want to Help With the World Map?)

Official community level contests.
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Want to Help With the World Map?)

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Please join the first Community Choice Awards here!: viewtopic.php?f=69&p=323250#p323250

It's been more than long enough, so here comes your next official contest! Welcome to the SMBX All-Stars Level Contest. Whether you're a past winner and all-star designer or an all-star in the making, this is a great opportunity for anyone to participate in a fun community event and receive some feedback on your level design skills.

All levels will also be featured in a contest episode, which you can hold me to saying it will be released within a reasonable amount of time at the end of the contest.

As usual, your objective is to submit the best SMBX level you can possibly make. Once your level is finished, please PM it to me, PixelPest, as I will be handling the compiling of the levels. You can also DM your level to me on Discord, @PixelPest#3094.

Judges
  • PixelPest
  • Spinda
  • bossedit8
Your level will be scored based on the following:
  • Level Design and Gameplay (50%): Is the level structured in a way that supports gameplay? Is it enjoyable? Is it's length sufficient (not too long or too short)? Are enemies and obstacles placed effectively? Is the difficulty appropriate throughout the level? Does it flow nicely?
  • Creativity (30%): Is the level unique and memorable? Is the gimmick or main mechanic developed effectively?
  • Aesthetics (20%): Do the elements in the level fit graphically? Is there an effective atmosphere created by the music, graphics, and general feel of the level?
Rules
Going off of the success of the Super Community Contest, we've implemented a similar set of rules and guidelines. Here are the rules for the contest.

Breaking the following will result in disqualification:
  • You are only allowed to submit one level. You can submit as many times as you want before the deadline (to update your submission if needed), but we will only take your most recent submission.
  • You are allowed to work alone or with a partner (no more than two people to a level). You can use a team name and both usernames will be listed in the results.
  • Your level must be completeable with 1.3.0.1 and/or SMBX2. No 1.4/38A levels are allowed.
  • Your level may include any type and any number of exits besides the warp exit or by ending the game (via "legacy boss").
  • You may not purposely submit a generic joke level, or any other form of the level that is intended to be of poor-quality.
  • You must submit before the deadline for your level to be part of the contest.
  • You may not post a download link in public to your level before the results of your level are released.
  • You may not submit a previously-released level or a level which is not of your own making. You may not edit another level and submit it, neither your own nor someone else's.
The following rules are guidelines. Breaking these may result in the decision to exclude your level from the contest episode, though you will not be disqualified from the contest itself:
  • When using newly-added SMBX2-Beta3 content, copy any related APIs (from data/LuaScriptsLib) to your custom graphics/assets folder. Many new features such as the new character may go under revisions before the final version, meaning your levels may be broken in the future. If you really want to use SMBX2 content, you must copy the relevant API to your level folder and load that API locally to avoid this problem.
  • It is highly recommended that you specify in a read-me text file what playable character is required to play your level so we know how you want us to play it. Alternatively, use character blocks (or a player filter in LunaLua) to achieve this. If not specified, the judges will play your level with Mario. If your level is not playable with Mario (and you have not specified anything in read-me, included player blocks, or made a player filter in LunaLua), the judges are not required to test your level using other characters and will judge it accordingly with Mario.
  • Try to avoid music files that are longer than five minutes to keep the file size limited. Music formats such as .ogg generally have a smaller file size than formats like .wav and .mp3, so consider using these instead if you want to include longer music.
FAQs
These are a few answers to things often asked about contests though not explicitly mentioned in the rules.
  • Yes, you may show screenshots of your level and discuss it publicly, as long as you do not provide a public download link (which is subject to disqualification).
  • No, there is no point deduction for submissions after they deadline, they will just be disqualified. If your level is that last minute consider then you maybe should have planned ahead a little better.
  • No, your level does not need to end in an SMB3 star; it can end in any exit besides the warp exit or an exit which ends the game. You can have as many exits as you want (but be careful with too many), as long as you have no more than three SMB3 stars.
Words of Wisdom (Read this!)
Following these guidelines will most likely increase the chances of you performing well in the contest, so do give it a read.
  • Be creative! Rompy levels, even the solid ones, often fail to score well in contests. Try something new and explore a little, as this is the best opportunity to really test yourself, and something unique and memorable will impress the judges and everyone else too! Remember that 30% of your score comes from how creative your level is. Try to find a gimmick you can play around with and build on. Take a frequently used mechanic and put a new spin on it or come up with something completely original and you're bound to do well in that category.
  • Test your level from beginning to end, as if the judges are playing it. This isn't limited to you testing it, but consider getting your friends and/or other community members to test it as well (just not the judges). Contest after contest people don't test their levels and then suffer when the results come in. Be sure that (1) your level is actually beatable (2) the player start position is in the correct place (3) make sure NPCs with custom graphics have proper death effects and text files if their size or animations are different.
  • Have fun when making your level. The judges can often tell who had fun making their level. This is your time to choose whatever theme, style, mechanics, etc. that you love and do your best with them.
  • Make sure your level is, well, fun! If you don't think your level is fun to play, chances or the judges won't enjoy it so much either. Find some things you can do to make the gameplay of your level fun and memorable. Try to minimize things like repetitive obstacles, waiting for moving layers or platforms, backtracking, etc.

How to submit your level
Once your level is complete, make sure that your folders look similar enough the following images. Most users will only have the .lvl file, a folder for their custom graphics, and custom music.

Inside the level folder:

Outside the level folder:

Please don't include any kind of screenshots or videos.

After you've checked that, you can then compile your level into one file that can be extracted by the judges. Use programs such as WinZIP, WinRAR, or 7-zip to accomplish this. There are also online file archivers that you can try if you don't have one of these programs and don't want to download one.

Zipped folder:

Then upload your file using online hosting services, such as Dropbox, and send the download link to PixelPest via PM or DM your level to me on Discord, @PixelPest#3094. Do not use Sendspace as the links do expire.

Participant List
  • krazykat
  • Ludwig_von Koopa
  • Yang
  • Bowser is ded
  • Darkonious Mavakar
  • Shadow Turtle
  • FrozenHeatDesert
  • 7NameSam
  • DreDust
  • Ditchencat
  • ShadowStarX
  • 1AmPlayer
  • Quantumenace
  • The0x539
  • Sanct
  • Zipper
  • Snowy_Desert
  • AndrewPixel
  • Smesblem
  • Quantix
  • Cloth pocket
  • h2643
  • 55jedat555
  • Taycamgame
  • Artemis008
  • Enjl
  • Yoshi021
  • thehelmetguy1
  • Ryaa
  • Musicality_Minister45
  • Mosaic
  • MECHDRAGON777
  • litchh
  • Pseudo
  • Electriking
  • ap3jmpt
  • Ness-Wednesday
  • kinggodot
  • NegativeBread
(Note: Your name will only be listed when you submit a level.)

Deadline: All levels must be submitted by March 21st, 7:00PM EST.

Good luck and have fun!

Results Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20714&start=280#p322108
Results Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20714&p=322229#p322229
Results Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20714&start=300#p322295
Results Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20714&p=322373#p322373
Final Results (also listed below): viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20714&p=322449#p322449

These are the final results!

Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/J1kBrMw.png[/rimg] Top 3 (Tier 5)
Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/dLoA2bz.png[/rimg] Tier 4
Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/6s85ihg.png[/rimg] Tier 3
Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/nI5tTZv.gif[/rimg] Tier 2
Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/1gkvy7T.png[/rimg] Tier 1
The posts containing the reviews for each level are now hyperlinked above. (Click on any one to go to the respective post).

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SMBX All-Stars Level Contest (Sign-ups open!)

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes, funny that I asked about this just this morning or yesterday

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Pronouns: They/Her

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:22 pm

You guys better make an episode for this one

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Hmm, perhaps i should enter this contest. Your level can be about anything right? Are there any limits to length?
And does submitting guarantee your level being featured in the level?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Uzendayo wrote:You guys better make an episode for this one
It's already being done and I personally won't let it slip. Probably going to grab the levels from SCC too for this one since that episode was never really started lol.
Taycamgame wrote:Hmm, perhaps i should enter this contest. Your level can be about anything right? Are there any limits to length?
And does submitting guarantee your level being featured in the level?
There's no restrictions on theme. Length is your own personal judgement on the other hand. As mentioned in the rules, breaking some of the guidelines may have your level still be in the contest but not the episode (though if it's a small thing we may just ask you to make a fix before the episode is released). Also if you submit and your level is disqualified then it's neither part of the contest nor the contest episode

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby Ryaa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm totally down for this one

Warlock
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: bep
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Warlock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Ooh, a new contest! Definitely up for this one.

Good luck to all who participate!

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm

LET's GFUCKING FGO MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I will make a masterpiece

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder that we started this contest because we've decided that there are too many users on the forum. Participation is mandatory for every SMBX.org user, the bottom 10%, as well as anyone who doesn't participate gets banned. It's sudden death from now on, bitches.

Have fun :)

Ryaa
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby Ryaa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Oh fuck since I'm banned on the discord will I be triple banned if I don't enter

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Ryaa wrote:Oh fuck since I'm banned on the discord will I be triple banned if I don't enter
Most definitely

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Postby Quill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Sanct wrote:LET's GFUCKING FGO MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Even here you torment me! Why can't you just leave me alone?! WTF BROS

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Quill wrote:
Sanct wrote:LET's GFUCKING FGO MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Even here you torment me! Why can't you just leave me alone?! WTF BROS
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm just gonna submit one of my legendary unreleased levels that is obviously way better than my released ones

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Maybe I might try this one. Maybe.

Rixitic
Spike
Spike

Postby Rixitic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:27 pm

aaaaa dagnabbit I want to enter but I have so much other stuff on my plate

also as cool as it would be to have the scc levels as like, some kinda postgame or bonus world or what have you, you may want to wait a bit before making that call. At least until the end of the level submission period or something.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:57 pm

not rockythechao wrote:aaaaa dagnabbit I want to enter but I have so much other stuff on my plate

also as cool as it would be to have the scc levels as like, some kinda postgame or bonus world or what have you, you may want to wait a bit before making that call. At least until the end of the level submission period or something.
Yeah for sure I can. Just as far as I've been informed the SCC episode hasn't even been started and I was thinking of doing something similar to the Level Contest Japan episode with the levels from the two contests

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Radiance » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm

I'll get ready my switch barricade (:

KBorg64
Snifit
Snifit
Pronouns: any/all

Postby KBorg64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Hmm... wouldn't hurt to make a random level for a contest. I think I'll give this a try.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Fyi the soundtrack of this contest officially starts with our theme song:

https://youtu.be/NBFuzr_GnqQ

Return to “Level Contests”