The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

This is the place for video games!
PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Re: The Crappiest Item(s) in a Video Game

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Murphmario wrote:The Copper Shortsword in Terraria. It sucks against anything that isn't grounded and does 5 damage. Comparativly, the Wooden Sword, a weapon that you can get very quickly after starting the game, does 7 damage and is more useful against both grounded and flying foes. The other shortswords aren't much better, as all of them have the same flaws as the Copper Shortsword.

Also Poison Mushrooms. They hurt you. That's all that needs to be said.
Poison mushrooms aren't supposed to be an item... I think they count as enemies or as something for trick you

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Murphmario wrote:The Copper Shortsword in Terraria. It sucks against anything that isn't grounded and does 5 damage. Comparativly, the Wooden Sword, a weapon that you can get very quickly after starting the game, does 7 damage and is more useful against both grounded and flying foes. The other shortswords aren't much better, as all of them have the same flaws as the Copper Shortsword.

Also Poison Mushrooms. They hurt you. That's all that needs to be said.
Poison mushrooms aren't supposed to be an item... I think they count as enemies or as something for trick you
Poison mushrooms are items in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door & Super Paper Mario. They're kinda troll-ish items imo

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
Made from a Poison Mushroom, this recipe inverts your controls, makes you inable to jump, blocks your abilities and slows you down. And worst of all:
THIS RECIPE IS *REQUIRED* TO 100%ing THE GAME.
If you want to sell it, it's okay. You shall only gain 3 coins.

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm

In Super Paper Mario they are more like the item you'll never use

Also Rotten meat, 1000 years egg, moldy bread in Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, unlike Dawn of Sorrow you don't have an ability which lets you eat rotten food, in Dawn of Sorrow they give you the ghoul soul which lets you eat rotten food but In PoR they are like inventory fillers

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 pm

8lue Storm wrote:Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
Made from a Poison Mushroom, this recipe inverts your controls, makes you inable to jump, blocks your abilities and slows you down. And worst of all:
This crap item is required for 100%?!? Well, it doesn't even matter for me... As trying a 100% run of Super Paper Mario isn't part of my goals in the Mario RPGs... Yet

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby 8lue Storm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
8lue Storm wrote:Dangerous Delight, Super Paper Mario.
This crap item is required for 100%?!? Well, it doesn't even matter for me... As trying a 100% run of Super Paper Mario isn't part of my goals in the Mario RPGs... Yet
Nice goals you have there. I've been trying to 100% this game for a while, now. The only thing I am the closest to 100%ing are the maps. The only one I didn't do was one in 5-3, the Floro Sapiens Caverns. That level is a freaking MAZE! I keep returning to the same room again and again.
By 100%ing I mean getting all recipes, all cards, all maps, all chapters (duh).
Also, did you know about Trial Stew? It leaves the player with 1 HP and gives him 1000 points for every HP lost. Meaning: if you have 50HP, you'll gain 49000 points by ating it, but you'll be left with 1 HP.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby 8lue Storm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:44 am

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:In Super Paper Mario they are more like the item you'll never use
Yes but there are also Dried Shrooms.
Restores 1HP only and appears everywhere.
And Also Mistake.
Restores 1HP and is given to you when you make a recipe that doesn't exist.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:53 pm

When you are poisoned but you don't want to use a good healing item a dried shroom can help here. However that is the only use for this item

thunderlakitu
Blooper
Blooper

Postby thunderlakitu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Crates that you can only open with keys that you only can get with real life money.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: they/them

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Anything that can only be bought with real money IMO. It's okay if it's an 'optional extra', like an item that allows you to progress a bit faster, or makes it a bit easier, or just things like reskins/retextures. What I personally hate is if it gives a large or unfair advantage, or if the game is painfully slow to progress if you don't buy them.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am

The Dwarven Digger wrote:Anything that can only be bought with real money IMO. It's okay if it's an 'optional extra', like an item that allows you to progress a bit faster, or makes it a bit easier, or just things like reskins/retextures. What I personally hate is if it gives a large or unfair advantage, or if the game is painfully slow to progress if you don't buy them.
True dat! That's why I avoid freaking Clash of Clans

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 am

I am not entirely sure if this counts for reasons I will state later in this post, but here it is.

Final Fantasy VI has a shield called cursed shield. It is the worst shield in the game. Has no defense boosts that a shield should have and instead it lowers several stats. As well as this, the user becomes weak to most elements. Finally the shield gives these status ailments on the wearer:
Sap: Gradually lose HP
Confusion: Randomly attacks party
Berserk: Only uses normal attacks
Silence: Cannot use magic
Doom: Sets a counter. If this counter reaches zero, the one affected by it instantly dies.

However, it has one redeeming quality. Winning 256 battles with the shield equipped on any character other than Gogo turns the cursed shield into the paladin's shield, which is easily the best shield in the game. It has the second highest defense of all shields, and it absorbs half elements and makes the user immune to the other half. As well as this, it teaches Ultima, the best offensive spell in the game.

Note: If the user is KO'd, petrified or a zombie in the end of the fight it won't count towards dispelling the curse

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:I am not entirely sure if this counts for reasons I will state later in this post, but here it is.

Final Fantasy VI has a shield called cursed shield. It is the worst shield in the game. Has no defense boosts that a shield should have and instead it lowers several stats. As well as this, the user becomes weak to most elements. Finally the shield gives these status ailments on the wearer:
Sap: Gradually lose HP
Confusion: Randomly attacks party
Berserk: Only uses normal attacks
Silence: Cannot use magic
Doom: Sets a counter. If this counter reaches zero, the one affected by it instantly dies.

However, it has one redeeming quality. Winning 256 battles with the shield equipped on any character other than Gogo turns the cursed shield into the paladin's shield, which is easily the best shield in the game. It has the second highest defense of all shields, and it absorbs half elements and makes the user immune to the other half. As well as this, it teaches Ultima, the best offensive spell in the game.

Note: If the user is KO'd, petrified or a zombie in the end of the fight it won't count towards dispelling the curse
I think it counts as a crappy item. This is the same case of the Poison Mushroom from Paper Mario, you need it to 100% the game

KlickyMario321+
Bit
Bit
Flair: Everyone's Favorite Playmobil Fan
Pronouns: they/them

Postby KlickyMario321+ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:38 pm

The Blue Spiny Shell from the Mario Kart series.

What a pain. What was I even thinking trying to dodge that shell with bananas? It's just a death trap sprung by Bowser in order to get me to lose. Do you agree?

By the way in Mario Kart 8, you can stop a blue shell with a Super Horn, but even that item is SUPER rare to get when you're in first place. You might actually get blown up by that blue shell and sent onto last place before even getting the item and after that, you might never be able to catch up and might have to sock the whole race.

NotGabriel_Gamer
Rex
Rex
Flair: You should change your content, NOW!!!!

Postby NotGabriel_Gamer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 am

Cursed Eye in The Binding of Isaac, just... why

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Easily the worst item in a video game could be the Dictionary from Super Cat Tales 2. It's an expensive 4000 coins, and is required for you to talk to King Roka in World 6-Village: Maguma Bastion in order for you to gain access to the endgame. And when combined with the Magic Flute, which is a lot tamer (but still costs 4000 coins), that'll be instant grinding heck for a pointless item that only serves to translate the languages of an entire village - ONLY ONE, and to grant you access to the final levels of World 6 and World 7. The flute is needed to wake up Brutus and progress beyond World 6-7, which makes it even worse if you haven't obtained the flute prior to that.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I think it's a close tie between Stay Strong Stones annd Wait Less Stones in Pokemon Quest

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 am

Gonna update my pick since Copper Shortsword's since been buffed and is now aimable. Since Zero's Buster and the Sleep Copy Ability were brought up, I'm going to say that Spark Shot from Mega Man 3 is terrible. It's supposed to stun enemies, but there are two major problems with this.
1. If an enemy moves into the space where an enemy is stunned, then the enemy you previously stunned gets unstunned and starts attacking you again.
2. There aren't really that many places you'd need such a weapon in Mega Man 3 in my opinion.
3. You can't damage enemies (asides from bosses, but even then Magnet Man's pretty easy with the standard Mega Buster) with it since it does no damage and you can't even pause and switch to a different weapon.

Yeah, Top Spin is really good compared to Spark Shot. Don't use it unless it's a boss weakness.

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards

Postby ShadowXeldron » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm

HMs in Pokemon, because you can't forget them and all of them except maybe Fly, Surf, Dive, Rock Climb and Waterfall are pretty bad. I like the idea of making your Pokemon remove obstacles, but at the very least you should be able to forget them if the area you are in doesn't require them for progression. In fact, I hope the Diamond and Pearl remakes drop them completely in favour of something similar to the Let's Go games where your partner does the thing for you instead.

Having recently beaten Platinum, I'm going to say HM05 Defog from Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum is the absolute worst of them all because unlike the other HM moves instead of dealing damage it lowers evasiveness. Also, since it is a HM so it can't be forgotten until Canalave City and even then it leaves you with an empty moveslot. In fact, you can ignore it completely and just suffer your way through areas that are required for it; the only place I can think of where its absolutely necessary is an optional side dungeon that requires it to get a Spell Tag.

In fact I'd say Flash, which was a HM in generation 1, could be ignored if you like to suffer and also doesn't deal damage, is slightly better because it lowers accuracy; a move that has a more apparent effect. I guess it could be useful for clearing entry hazards and Barry's Staraptor constantly spamming Double Team (which can be curbed with something like Swift or Shock Wave), but everywhere else it is practically useless.

CosmicStarman
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: a random guy who makes random levels!

Postby CosmicStarman » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:00 am

Power Stone from Mega Man 5, it's a very crappy weapon, because of the spiral trajectory, it barely manages to hit any enemies

Return to “Video Games”