This is the place for video games!
Kixubug
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Overrated Video Games / Games that you don't like while everyone else likes

Postby Kixubug » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 am

UPDATE (7/6/2022)
Spoiler: show
Since this post has been on for almost five years, I decided to revamp the entire thread all over again from scratch and giving out a new pick for what game I find it to be overrated, since Sonic 3D Blast recieved mixed reception from the gaming community, and I totally agreed on it. Since Sonic 3D Blast was mixed in terms of reviews, the quality itself. I think I should change it to a suitable pick, that I choose it.
The following discussion topic is highly-opinated, feel free to share your opinions here, all opinions are respected even if you don't like the game.

Every people has their unpopular opinion on what game that is loved by the people but other people actually don't like it due to some reasons that they have.

My Pick:

The Five Nghts at Freedy's series in general is very overrated, since I find the aspect of the games (especially the olders titles) to be very boring, repetitive, and I don't even find some of the jumpscares to be that scary. Each of them has the same formula, survive the night until the morning while avoiding enemies that tried to jumpscare you. The controls of the game can be wonky a bit and the visual doesn't usually appeal to me. While the majority of the games aren't that bad in general, it isn't my cup of tea.

Your turn.
Last edited by Kixubug on Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Overrated Video Games?

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 am

The101MarioGuy wrote:I bet Sonic 3D Blast is extremely an overrated game
...How? Just how? Would you call a game that has frustrating controls and having tedious quests like finding all the Flickies overrated? If anything there are more people that hate the game as opposed to like it, and even by the looks of things you don't even know what the word "overrated" means. If anything, you picked an underrated game. And no, just because you played it and liked the game it doesn't make it overrated, because you don't constitute the whole point of view.

Before you make incorrect sweeping statements like that, do yourself and everyone a favour and google what the term "overrated" means, as well as actually provide some decent examples. It's because of threads like this why you have a rather low reputation in the community right now, and do you even seem to be aware of this? Even I can provide a decent example, and that is Mario 64. While it set the foundation for 3D Marios and even 3D games in general, it actually starts to show its age considering the star thing has been reused several times in later games.
Last edited by HeroLinik on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:14 am

This stupid game I found, it's called super mario bros x. I don't get why people like it so much.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:32 am

Mario Kart 64

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 am

Artemis008 wrote:This stupid game I found, it's called super mario bros x.
Nice rant! :|

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:10 am

Yo, pretty sure no one likes Sonic 3D blast

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 am

Artemis008 wrote:This stupid game I found, it's called super mario bros x. I don't get why people like it so much.
too far.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 am

glitch4 wrote:
Artemis008 wrote:This stupid game I found, it's called super mario bros x. I don't get why people like it so much.
too far.
sarcasm?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am

thehelmetguy1 wrote:Yo, pretty sure no one likes Sonic 3D blast
I prefer the 3ds ports of the 2-D classic Sonic games

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 am

Artemis008 wrote:
glitch4 wrote:
too far.
sarcasm?
serious.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 am

glitch4 wrote:
Artemis008 wrote:
glitch4 wrote:
too far.
sarcasm?
serious.
why

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 am

Artemis008 wrote:why
because
1) smbx is a great game and it's getting lots of cool features
2) your signature includes mario fan image and thus no mario fan should call mario games overrated, fangames too.
3) mario is your savior

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 am

Undertale, while I haven't played the game for myself, I really don't really see what made it get so incredibly popular.

Also, Super Mario 64. It definetly has aged lots imo. The camera is pretty awful and makes some sections unessecarily frustrating, and I'm personally not a fan of the controls (Especially when the game throws do or die platforming sections at you) but that could probably be because I'm so used to the more floaty controls of the newer 3D games.

Also how the fuck is 3D Blast overrated?

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am

Super Mario Bros 3. Like, yes, i agree, it is a pretty cool game with a diverse selection of powerups in it and such, but the original NES release was WAY too
long for being a game your excepted to play in one sitting, imo, Super Mario World is better because you can actually save and such, yeah, it may not have
as many power-ups, but i still like it better.

EDIT:
Plus, i just don't understand SMB3's hype really, most of the music tracks are very short, none of the levels have checkpoints, yes their short, but still,
the boss fights were repetitive, their's a power up that literally only appears in one level, and i just simply don't understand people hyping Super Mario Bros 3
as "The Best Mario Game Ever" or "The Best Game Ever" Honestly.

Speaking of which, i also find Mega Man 2 overrated, first of all, the game has way too many parts that are either unfair or way too hard, or flat out impossible without a certain
item, stages that are an offense to this include: Heat Man's Stage, Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2, WILY FORTRESS FOUR, and Wily Fortress 6. In heat man's stage,
their's that invisible block section that goes on for way too long if you don't have item 2. Even if you did have item 2, it pretty much NEEDS to be at full,
or you most likely won't make it to the other side. Wily Fortress 1, you need item 1 and item 3 to proceed, now item 3 isn't anywhere near as bad
as you only need to use it like once, but ITEM 1, you need to use multiple times in one spot to proceed plus have to angle them perfectly to make the jump in time, and
if you run out of ammo, you have to farm for it until you have enough, also, we'll be hearing this alot. Now, Wily Fortress 2, you need to use Item 2 at the BEGINNING of
the level, however, your weapon ammo doesn't refill between levels so this is a problem, though they do leave ammo pickups incase you run out, what if you die and
already picked up the health pickups? Welp, too bad, guess you have to waste all your lives now. That IS NOT good game design, it shouldn't be designed like that.
now, WILY FORTRESS 4's BOSS. This boss, is literally just a bunch of half-circles on a way, that all quite frequently, all shoot you at once with stupidly hard to avoid pellets.
But now, here's the thing. This boss has only ONE weakness, you know what this weakness is? the CRASH BOMB. The thing is this, there are 5 of these half circles on the wall and the crash bomb has 7 uses. But another thing is this, a couple of the turrets are protected by walls that can only be destroyed with the crash bomb, but know what the stupid thing is? The game really doesn't make it obvious which walls your supposed to destroy and which ones your not, so chances likely are that on your first play through, you'll most likely waste your bombs on the first wall in the room when you go inside. Infact, you need such a specific procedure to defeat
this boss that someone had to write a guide on exactly which route your supposed to take in the room and exactly which walls you need to destory.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =601637310

The stupidest thing about this fight is that if you don't enter the room with full crash bomb ammo, you've already lost. I repeat, if you enter the room without full
ammo on crash bombs, YOU'VE ALREADY LOST. Plus, their's not really many places in this stage to find health or ammo pickups aside from the sniper joes in the outside room, but they are so annoying to farm againist. However, on the bright side(can't believe this exists), doors that you destroyed with the crash bombs when you enter the room again will stay destoryed, but your likely not on full ammo so what does it even matter. And even though when you get a game over your ammo refills to full, the doors that were in the room are back! Yep, this boss alone proves that calling Mega Man 2 "The Best Game Ever" is just stupid.

Also, there is wily fortress 6's boss, the final boss of the game, which's only weakness is the bubble lead, but the thing is, that boss is easy plus bubble lead has WAY more uses than the Crash Bomb does, so it's not anywhere near as bad.

And all this unfair or impossible stage design that's this way if you don't have certain power ups should be consider solid proof that this can't be called, THE BEST GAME EVER and why i don't think it is.

Also, Sonic 3D Blast isn't overrated, AT ALL.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 pm

MosaicMario wrote:Super Mario Bros 3. Like, yes, i agree, it is a pretty cool game with a diverse selection of powerups in it and such, but the original NES release was WAY too
long for being a game your excepted to play in one sitting, imo, Super Mario World is better because you can actually save and such, yeah, it may not have

EDIT:
Plus, i just don't understand SMB3's hype really, most of the music tracks are very short, none of the levels have checkpoints, yes their short, but still,
the boss fights were repetitive, their's a power up that literally only appears in one level, and i just simply don't understand people hyping Super Mario Bros 3
I really wouldn't call it overrated, it's actually really good, has a big legacy, and lots of people still have fun playing it nearly 30 years on. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the most expansive Mario games out there, featuring a range of new and unique powerups such as the Super Leaf, Tanooki Suit and Goomba's Shoe, and considering it came out in 1988 it's actually pretty impressive for its time. And as for the saving thing, that's why you used Warp Whistles. They may have been well-hidden, but one of them was blatantly shown in The Wizard (the one in the first fortress) and another one was mentioned in Peach's letter after you beat world 4 - you just had to figure out how to get to the east side, and when you got them both that was enough to get you to Bowser's Castle. As for the boss battles, you're not giving enough information. If you're talking about the Boom Boom fights, then they got more interesting as you went on, including stuff like Boom Boom jumping across the arena, running faster and flying - it's just that you stomped him before you got to see his abilities. The Koopalings start out as carbon copies, especially in the first two worlds, but they throw in new gimmicks as you went on, like stomping the ground - two of them even have their own unique attack pattern.

And music tracks being short doesn't justify a game being bad. You mentioned Super Mario World being better, but all its music is just a rehash of the main theme - would you call that bad?
Last edited by HeroLinik on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Not to mention that the All-Stars and GBA versions of SMB3 do have saving, and they're also pretty much superior to the NES version in almost every way.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
MosaicMario wrote:Super Mario Bros 3. Like, yes, i agree, it is a pretty cool game with a diverse selection of powerups in it and such, but the original NES release was WAY too

EDIT:
I really wouldn't call it overrated, it's actually really good, has a big legacy, and lots of people still have fun playing it nearly 30 years on. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the most expansive Mario games out there, featuring a range of new and unique powerups such as the Super Leaf, Tanooki Suit and Goomba's Shoe, and considering it came out in 1988 it's actually pretty impressive for its time. And as for the saving thing, that's why you used Warp Whistles. They may have been well-hidden, but one of them was blatantly shown in The Wizard (the one in the first fortress) and another one was mentioned in Peach's letter after you beat world 4 - you just had to figure out how to get to the east side, and when you got them both that was enough to get you to Bowser's Castle. As for the boss battles, you're not giving enough information. If you're talking about the Boom Boom fights, then they got more interesting as you went on, including stuff like Boom Boom jumping across the arena, running faster and flying - it's just that you stomped him before you got to see his abilities. The Koopalings start out as carbon copies, especially in the first two worlds, but they throw in new gimmicks as you went on, like stomping the ground - two of them even have their own unique attack pattern.

And music tracks being short doesn't justify a game being bad. You mentioned Super Mario World being better, but all its music is just a rehash of the main theme - would you call that bad?
May you just respect my opinion that i have? Also, the thing about the Warp Whistles, so what does that mean, you have to lose all of your items just because of that?

I honestly don't feel like responding to all of this since apparently you won't let me have an opinion.
Snessy the duck wrote:Not to mention that the All-Stars and GBA versions of SMB3 do have saving, and they're also pretty much superior to the NES version in almost every way.
True i suppose

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
May you just respect my opinion that i have? Also, the thing about the Warp Whistles, so what does that mean, you have to lose all of your items just because of that?

I honestly don't feel like responding to all of this since apparently you won't let me have an opinion.
Snessy the duck wrote:Not to mention that the All-Stars and GBA versions of SMB3 do have saving, and they're also pretty much superior to the NES version in almost every way.
True i suppose
I would agree with you that SMB3 is terribly overrated, because of people going extreme lengths to excuse the game's issue. It's like one can't say anything bad about it.

Oshi
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Flair: ==> cool text! <==
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Oshi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Honestly most Mario games are overrated, but there are some that don't quite shine. (ex. Mario Land) But what can you do, it's Mario!

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:15 pm

I say that Megaman 2 is highly overrated, for the same reasons mosaic stated. Unforgivable design on many levels and sections, trial and error being required, Mosaic explained it well. In fact, Megaman 2 is my least favorite Megaman game. I never got why people call it the best Megaman game ever.

Return to “Video Games”