Super Mario Castle Crisis (v1.2) [SMBX-38A 1.4.4] (COMPLETE)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes
84%
No
6%
A little bit
9%

Total votes: 32
Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Re: Super Mario Castle Crisis (v1.1) [SMBX-38A 1.4.4]

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Petrifying wrote:So in the 1st world level 3 I've experienced a bug where I forgot to get the 1st star coin and just went on ahead and completed the level, however when I returned to try to get the 1st star coin I started from a checkpoint, I collected the first one I missed and the others again and I never got a message saying I could go into the bonus room, when I tried it just told me I couldn't go in and needed to get all star coins without dying, which is what I did but it still didn't open, even on a fresh window. Could you possibly fix this? Since I'm a collector and I NEED to get all stars :P
That's odd... I will try and reproduce this problem and see if I can fix it. You need to shut down the game completely, restart it, go back to World 1 Level 3, and it will start you at the start of the level. Restarting at checkpoint is a SMBX bug even when the level is completed.

You need all the 114 stars to be able to play the bonus world ;) I'm a collector too :)
Last edited by Roach on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Roach wrote:
Petrifying wrote:So in the 1st world level 3 I've experienced a bug where I forgot to get the 1st star coin and just went on ahead and completed the level, however when I returned to try to get the 1st star coin I started from a checkpoint, I collected the first one I missed and the others again and I never got a message saying I could go into the bonus room, when I tried it just told me I couldn't go in and needed to get all star coins without dying, which is what I did but it still didn't open, even on a fresh window. Could you possibly fix this? Since I'm a collector and I NEED to get all stars :P
That's odd... I will try and reproduce this problem and see if I can fix it.

But I think you need to shut down the game completely, restart it, go back to World 1 Level 3, and it will start you at the start of the level. Restarting at checkpoint is a SMBX bug even when the level is completed.

You also need all the 114 stars to be able to play the bonus world ;) I'm a collector too :)
Ah, I'll try that, thanks!

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Roach wrote:

But I think you need to shut down the game completely, restart it, go back to World 1 Level 3, and it will start you at the start of the level. Restarting at checkpoint is a SMBX bug even when the level is completed.

You also need all the 114 stars to be able to play the bonus world ;) I'm a collector too :)

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Petrifying wrote:
Roach wrote:

I just tried to reproduce what you said you did. I played the level, skipped the 1st Star Coin, collected the other 2 and finished the level. I returned to the level, which started me at the checkpoint. I continued anyway, went back to where Star Coin 1 is then collected the other 2 and I got the message that said the Bonus Door was unlocked. I Got to the bonus door and it did open for me and I got the star. I also played it, died while collection star coins, restarted and it worked. I collected them all and then went back to collect them all again even if I already had them and the bonus door unlocked and a few other ways and I always got the Bonus Door to unlock. I am sorry, I do not know how to fix this as it works for me.
  • Have you tried shutting down the game completely and then starting it again and then going back to the level?
    Are you sure it's World 1 - Level 3? View Video at 14:25
https://youtu.be/20FI5ANe1to?list=PLqE1 ... yRT5&t=865

Thank you for reporting the bug you've encountered and I hope we can find a way to fix it together.

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Roach wrote:
Petrifying wrote:
Roach wrote:

I just tried to reproduce what you said you did. I played the level, skipped the 1st Star Coin, collected the other 2 and finished the level. I returned to the level, which started me at the checkpoint. I continued anyway, went back to where Star Coin 1 is then collected the other 2 and I got the message that said the Bonus Door was unlocked. I Got to the bonus door and it did open for me and I got the star. I also played it, died while collection star coins, restarted and it worked. I collected them all and then went back to collect them all again even if I already had them and the bonus door unlocked and a few other ways and I always got the Bonus Door to unlock. I am sorry, I do not know how to fix this as it works for me.
  • Have you tried shutting down the game completely and then starting it again and then going back to the level?

Thank you for reporting the bug you've encountered and I hope we can find a way to fix it together.
Yeah it was that level exactly, I'll try doing it again and recording it this time

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Roach wrote:
Petrifying wrote:
Roach wrote:

Alright, so I tried to reproduce the bug but this time the bonus room opened, probably was a bug with SMBX itself and not your episode, anyways I'm having lots of fun playing it!

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Roach » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:45 am

Petrifying wrote: Alright, so I tried to reproduce the bug but this time the bonus room opened, probably was a bug with SMBX itself and not your episode, anyways I'm having lots of fun playing it!
Ah! Must be on SMBX's side like you said. Glad it worked out and that you're enjoying it. An update is coming this week which will fix some non-game-breaking bugs (cause there exists no game breaking bugs as far as I am concerned) It will also add a new HUD like the picture shown in the previous page and other things. You would just need to transfer your save file to the new game to continue with the new changes :) Thanks for playing man !

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Re: Super Mario Castle Crisis (v1.2) [SMBX-38A 1.4.4] (Sept 6 UPDATE)

Postby Roach » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 am

NEW UPDATE

Just move your save file to the updated version.
Updated the screenshots in the OP.
Updated Download Link in the OP to Verison 1.2 - Or Download now here https://puu.sh/xsYjG/372de5cb4b.zip

September 6, 2017 Update.
- Can now spin jump on Podoboo.
- Level 4-3: Added missing blocks.
- Can now shoot a Magikoopa with Fireball or Hammer.
- Fixed Spikey's Graphic in Final Bowser Level.
- Fixed Propeller Luigi showing 1 white pixel at the side of his head.
- New Custom Hud much nicer and more modern (view new screenshots).
- Removed "Score" on the HUD, pointless.
- Scores now work in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1UP (Custom Number Graphics).
- Added new Coins Graphics (Red, Blue and Regular).
- Powerups will now go through Enemies.
- Moved some blocks in Level 8-1 (Ghost house).
- Yoshi can now eat All Coins, Star Coins, Fireballs and Hammers.
- Added NSMB type POW block. Instead of regular SMB2 POW.
- Changed Mario/Luigi Death Graphic.

chillairship
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby chillairship » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Roach wrote:
chillairship wrote:Just a clarifying question: So I dont need to have 1.4.4 in order to play this? Just download your episode, extract to desktop and play correct? Reason I ask is that I cannot for the life of me find a legit download of 1.4.4
It's an all in one package of my game using 1.4.4. So you can even start making your own game with this download as it's complete but some things like graphics I customised. And yes, you can simply download, extract folder to desktop and start playing or editing :)
xDestroy wrote:Hey chillairship, here the link to 1.4.4 http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=714
edit: sorry for the broken url fixed
Thank you to you both

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Roach wrote:NEW UPDATE

Just move your save file to the updated version.
Updated the screenshots in the OP.
Updated Download Link in the OP to Verison 1.2 - Or Download now here https://puu.sh/xsYjG/372de5cb4b.zip

September 6, 2017 Update.
- Can now spin jump on Podoboo.
- Level 4-3: Added missing blocks.
- Can now shoot a Magikoopa with Fireball or Hammer.
- Fixed Spikey's Graphic in Final Bowser Level.
- Fixed Propeller Luigi showing 1 white pixel at the side of his head.
- New Custom Hud much nicer and more modern (view new screenshots).
- Removed "Score" on the HUD, pointless.
- Scores now work in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1UP (Custom Number Graphics).
- Added new Coins Graphics (Red, Blue and Regular).
- Powerups will now go through Enemies.
- Moved some blocks in Level 8-1 (Ghost house).
- Yoshi can now eat All Coins, Star Coins, Fireballs and Hammers.
- Added NSMB type POW block. Instead of regular SMB2 POW.
- Changed Mario/Luigi Death Graphic.
Awesome, downloading it right now! :D

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: anemoia

Postby Akromaly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:04 am

I MUST play it because it's too interesting :D, one of the episodes with the most modern style

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm

So far, I've played around 70% of this episode and I really like the style of the backgrounds and enemies as well as the overall layout. Most of the end of world bosses, however, are VERY difficult, especially the ice world boss. Also, the "star thresholds" for entering new worlds can be quite high, which meant that I had to go back multiple times to previous levels and search for stars - I think that could potentially demotivate players so maybe try lowering the number of stars needed for unlocking each world?

There's a slight bug in the magic carpet level from the desert world as I remember stepping on one of the generating carpets and somehow fell through it (happened more than once). I really like the episode so far though so I'm keen to finish it soon :)

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 pm

AndrewPixel wrote:I MUST play it because it's too interesting :D, one of the episodes with the most modern style
Thanks a lot man. Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Roach » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Shadow_Flame wrote:So far, I've played around 70% of this episode and I really like the style of the backgrounds and enemies as well as the overall layout. Most of the end of world bosses, however, are VERY difficult, especially the ice world boss. Also, the "star thresholds" for entering new worlds can be quite high, which meant that I had to go back multiple times to previous levels and search for stars - I think that could potentially demotivate players so maybe try lowering the number of stars needed for unlocking each world?

There's a slight bug in the magic carpet level from the desert world as I remember stepping on one of the generating carpets and somehow fell through it (happened more than once). I really like the episode so far though so I'm keen to finish it soon :)
I really appreciate this input Shadow_Flame. I also thought at some point that the Star Threshold could be a little high. I will see if I can lower it soon :) I did mean to lower the difficulty of bosses as well (for some of them like World 4) so I'll take that into account as well. I never encountered the bug with the carpet so I will def look into it and see if I can fix it. Really it's just a reskin of a platform and the line used (sparkle roads) are reskins of the regular black lines. So maybe this is an SMBX bug but I'll look into it for sure. Thanks again for playing it to 70% and for your comments. Hope you'll enjoy the rest :)

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm

I really appreciate this input Shadow_Flame. I also thought at some point that the Star Threshold could be a little high. I will see if I can lower it soon :) I did mean to lower the difficulty of bosses as well (for some of them like World 4) so I'll take that into account as well. I never encountered the bug with the carpet so I will def look into it and see if I can fix it. Really it's just a reskin of a platform and the line used (sparkle roads) are reskins of the regular black lines. So maybe this is an SMBX bug but I'll look into it for sure. Thanks again for playing it to 70% and for your comments. Hope you'll enjoy the rest :)
No worries ;) Yeah, I figured that it might be a reskin but check for yourself as I'm not sure if it's just me who gets this bug. I'll let you know how the rest of the game goes when I get some time to finish it.

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Everything has been going well until I got to world 4, the difficulty spiked pretty high to the point where I didn't even bother with finding the star coins or finding the mini-mushroom. Don't even get me started on the boss, wayy too difficult and completely rage inducing. I started with 45 lives, exited at 15, saved there and then dropped to 3, quit the game, restart it, dropped to 5, quit the game, restarted it from the save, then finally beat him with 11 lives remaining. The lava-water was the rage inducing part and then the bubbles/balls being WAYYY too big. And hitting him isn't easy at all, you have to time your throw which can be completely countered by the bubbles (this would be fine if the knockback didn't affect the block) and then probably dying to the water-lava. I beat him by FINALLY figuring out how to cheat the system by just standing next to him with the block. I really like this game but world 4 is just cheap and I don't feel like playing through it again to get to world 5. I did the red coin thing since that wasn't too hard. The star coins are basically near impossible for me, you should change it so that even after you die but you get all the star coins successfully, you can access the bonus room. I recommend just re-doing the boss entirely, wayy too hard. Anyways, I hope you fix these issues because I really like this game.

Roach
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Roach » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Petrifying wrote:Everything has been going well until I got to world 4, the difficulty spiked pretty high to the point where I didn't even bother with finding the star coins or finding the mini-mushroom. Don't even get me started on the boss, wayy too difficult and completely rage inducing. I started with 45 lives, exited at 15, saved there and then dropped to 3, quit the game, restart it, dropped to 5, quit the game, restarted it from the save, then finally beat him with 11 lives remaining. The lava-water was the rage inducing part and then the bubbles/balls being WAYYY too big. And hitting him isn't easy at all, you have to time your throw which can be completely countered by the bubbles (this would be fine if the knockback didn't affect the block) and then probably dying to the water-lava. I beat him by FINALLY figuring out how to cheat the system by just standing next to him with the block. I really like this game but world 4 is just cheap and I don't feel like playing through it again to get to world 5. I did the red coin thing since that wasn't too hard. The star coins are basically near impossible for me, you should change it so that even after you die but you get all the star coins successfully, you can access the bonus room. I recommend just re-doing the boss entirely, wayy too hard. Anyways, I hope you fix these issues because I really like this game.

As for the star coins, SMBX is limited to it. If you die it won't remember you getting them :( I wish I could change that.

If you choose to continue, feel free to watch the video walkthrough I've made in case you get in a jam again ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FI5AN ... T5&index=2

Petrifying
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Petrifying » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Roach wrote:
Petrifying wrote:Everything has been going well until I got to world 4, the difficulty spiked pretty high to the point where I didn't even bother with finding the star coins or finding the mini-mushroom. Don't even get me started on the boss, wayy too difficult and completely rage inducing. I started with 45 lives, exited at 15, saved there and then dropped to 3, quit the game, restart it, dropped to 5, quit the game, restarted it from the save, then finally beat him with 11 lives remaining. The lava-water was the rage inducing part and then the bubbles/balls being WAYYY too big. And hitting him isn't easy at all, you have to time your throw which can be completely countered by the bubbles (this would be fine if the knockback didn't affect the block) and then probably dying to the water-lava. I beat him by FINALLY figuring out how to cheat the system by just standing next to him with the block. I really like this game but world 4 is just cheap and I don't feel like playing through it again to get to world 5. I did the red coin thing since that wasn't too hard. The star coins are basically near impossible for me, you should change it so that even after you die but you get all the star coins successfully, you can access the bonus room. I recommend just re-doing the boss entirely, wayy too hard. Anyways, I hope you fix these issues because I really like this game.

As for the star coins, SMBX is limited to it. If you die it won't remember you getting them :( I wish I could change that.

If you choose to continue, feel free to watch the video walkthrough I've made in case you get in a jam again ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FI5AN ... T5&index=2
Ohh, so that's why, it's alright

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 pm

OK, so I finally managed to finish the game but there was an issue - I just couldn't get enough coins to unlock world 8, I tried and tried and died so many times to the point to which I simply couldn't be bothered. I had to use level editor to get rid of the lock on the rest of the levels so that I can see the end of the game.

As Roach says above, World 4 was super difficult (and I'm not normally a big fan of ice levels anyway) and the difficulty cranks up really quickly as you go along. I've played Super Mario for many years in my life and I struggled with a lot of these levels, let alone someone who has not had that much experience...

Don't get me wrong, I do like the game, the concept, the sprites and the creative ideas but it might be a good idea to tune down the difficulty (especially that ice level with the platforms and the first jungle level with the bloody vines). Hope this feedback was helpful though.

spider7577
Goomba
Goomba

Postby spider7577 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi, Roach. I have a problem with my game. When I go to open it, it works. But I am not able to control player 1 or use the arrow keys in the main menu in general. When I went to the control customization screen, it shows "Button 1", "Button 2", e.t.c for my run and jump controls. Do you know how to fix this?

Return to “Episodes”