RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Re: RE: The Invasion 2 smb3 style

Postby Danny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

HenryRichard wrote:So I can just reskin everyone else's episodes and never explicitly say that they're mine and I'm fine and anyone who disagrees is wrong? How does that make any sense at all?
Do you enjoy blowing things out of extraordinary proportions? Because this is quite a ridiculous statement to make. On top of that, the creator did explicitly acknowledge that he did not make the episode, he just reskinned it. As long as you take the proper precautions and receive permission to do something like this, it should be completely fine to do it without instantly being shit on. There comes a point in time where episodes created by members who have left the community, Redigit in this case, essentially become freeware, and I'd imagine at that point people can do with it as they please, at least with discretion and the fact that they can't claim it as their own.

The argument is not if it was ethically/morally sound to reskin the episode, the argument is why people flipped their shit over it as bad as they did. I suppose at this point we're beating a dead horse, though, but the questions still remain unanswered logically.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Sorry, I got way to worked up over something that doesn't really matter. I still don't think that people should do this, but when I actually consider it from all sides instead of just blurting out whatever comes to my head first, I can see why it isn't really a bad thing. Still, there are more creative ways to update the appearance - for example, ripping some graphics or even making some yourselves rather than just using an SMB3 graphics pack.

Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 pm

I mean even if it's allowed you don't have to like it. I don't like a lot of this forum's content, but I understand that it's perfectly reasonable to leave up most of what I don't like--in fact, I'm glad it's that way.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:27 am

It IS just a reskin, which is I suppose the lowest form of derivative you can get, but what about other kinds of derivative works that are way more creative? What I'm hinting at a bit is that SMBX is derivative of something owned by... another party. I'm sensing a line between drawn somewhere in that huge gap of possibilities between a reskin and the fangame itself, but I am wondering where that line is and why. Any motivation founded on protecting people's property rights just seems kind of hollow to me.

But just to put some ideas to what I'm saying, what if we're talking about an Episode Remix, of sorts, or a hard mode, or "I sprinkled 7000 hidden green stars in this episode I played and liked, and want to inspire you to play again!"—are these inherently bad things just because the original maker wasn't involved? I know it's different from the situation in question but it's partly what I'm curious about.

My way of addressing the negativity is to question the motivation behind it, I guess. You can talk about the negativity itself, but I think my only contribution to that is to agree it's not necessary.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm not at all opposed to people modifying other episodes to make a significant change - there have been a few, like The Invasion 2 Kaizo.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:46 am

HenryRichard wrote:I'm not at all opposed to people modifying other episodes to make a significant change - there have been a few, like The Invasion 2 Kaizo.
Oh my, please don't include freaking Kaizo

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:32 am

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
HenryRichard wrote:I'm not at all opposed to people modifying other episodes to make a significant change - there have been a few, like The Invasion 2 Kaizo.
Oh my, please don't include freaking Kaizo
Too late

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Crossposting from the episode thread that prompted the creation of this thread:

The staff has collectively decided that this type of derivative work is acceptable without requiring permission from the original creator of the level or episode, as long as the original creator(s) of the level or episode are properly attributed. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for understanding.

Return to “Archives”