Put Your Suggestions For 2.0 Here!

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: Suggestions for 2.0

Postby arcade999 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Actually, original characters can't be modified, since adding more frame or anything else to them could break things that were made in older levels, so yeah, the only solution is using lua scripts.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:35 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:
arcade999 wrote:Actually, original characters can't be modified, since adding more frame or anything else to them could break things that were made in older levels, so yeah, the only solution is using lua scripts.
I dont really care if its a lua script. and 2.0 has already modified a bunch of characters (With the new ones) So i dont see how this is a problem.
while the new characters are all based off the original smbx characters, no changes has been made to the original characters in order to, as arcade999 said, retain compatibility.

adding new frames to existing characters would mess up any levels/episodes that used custom graphics to change the player sprites.

Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Walljumping can be implemented, I did so by accident. I made a modification to the MarioChallengev2 lua file in the loadnextlevel function. I had it call an api from here that did NSMB style wall jumping. Since the modification ALL characters can wall jump in ANY installed episode not just Mario Challenge. Megaman can even scale up a wall by jumping against it!
Bare in mind I think I uncovered a bug by doing this, I only intended to add the wall jumping ability to the Mario Challenge not the entire game. XD

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Don't edit anything in the basegame folders (except worlds); why would you do that. There's literally instructions on the API page iirc that tell you to put that code in a specific file that you should create in your custom graphics/assets folder

MarioMario369
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MarioMario369 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 am

They look good. Put these in Beta 4!

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:45 am

It's just not basegame-worthy. More something that would be used solely on a per-episode basis

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I don't care if it is ONLY the swimming frame; in older levels, customs characterss will a an untextured mario frame, and no one want that to happen.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:59 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:
PixelPest wrote:It's just not basegame-worthy. More something that would be used solely on a per-episode basis
Per-Episode Basis? These are not only for beta 4. More for the final ver. of 2.0.
(Quick question: Will my suggestions be for Beta 4? (For the heck of it (yes i just did that) ) )
Plain and simple: no. These things aren't overly useful and won't be included as basegame material. It's not really a priority and worth taking the time to make at the moment and as not very many people would use them and have compatibility issues in some cases
Last edited by PixelPest on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westretroman
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Westretroman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 am

TheKidCodee wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
TheKidCodee wrote:
Per-Episode Basis? These are not only for beta 4. More for the final ver. of 2.0.
(Quick question: Will my suggestions be for Beta 4? (For the heck of it (yes i just did that) ) )
Plain and simple: no. These things aren't overly useful and won't be included as basegame material. It's not really a priority and worth taking the time to make at the moment and as not very many people would use them and have compatibility issues in some cases
Well, ok so i guess this topic is useless. (way to kill it.)
I don't think this topic was useless, but some of your suggestions didn't appease them, you can still suggest things, but try another idea that would work, but if you think that it's still useless, then yeah, leave the power of decision making to the higher-ups, meanwhile, you can train your Lunalua knowledge to create some cool stuff and maybe the suggestions you listed above.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Put Your Suggestions For 2.0 Here!

Postby Radiance » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:36 am

I'm more worried about the quotes than the recent topic.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 am

TheKidCodee wrote:
Westretroman wrote: I don't think this topic was useless, but some of your suggestions didn't appease them, you can still suggest things, but try another idea that would work, but if you think that it's still useless, then yeah, leave the power of decision making to the higher-ups, meanwhile, you can train your Lunalua knowledge to create some cool stuff and maybe the suggestions you listed above.
"appease?" Im not trying to "appease" them. But i am saying what they should be doing with 2.0.

And as a seperate comment. I really dont think SMBX2 Is the proper name for this. Cause its still a continuation of SMBX 1.3. 2.0 is the proper name for this mostly cause there's not a whole bunch of things at the moment. besides the new characters, and lunalua. If you want to truly call this SMBX 2. Do what Sonic 2 + 3&K did and do something truly Game Changing. that distincts that this is a true, legitiment sequel to SMBX. Not something added from another game. Something Original And Game Changing.
Original and game changing, like LunaLua?

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:02 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
TheKidCodee wrote: "appease?" Im not trying to "appease" them. But i am saying what they should be doing with 2.0.

And as a seperate comment. I really dont think SMBX2 Is the proper name for this. Cause its still a continuation of SMBX 1.3. 2.0 is the proper name for this mostly cause there's not a whole bunch of things at the moment. besides the new characters, and lunalua. If you want to truly call this SMBX 2. Do what Sonic 2 + 3&K did and do something truly Game Changing. that distincts that this is a true, legitiment sequel to SMBX. Not something added from another game. Something Original And Game Changing.
Original and game changing, like LunaLua?
Lunalua is another coding system. Good, but not what i mean
What?
TheKidCodee wrote:Also, everything new in the game is a lua script.
...yes, and? So what? What difference does it make to people who don't know how to use it?
I feel like this could be a problem due to some glitches i found in the game with the new chracters. I hope this gets fixed in the future.
Again, what?

If you have bugs, please report them. If it has to do with multiplayer with the new playables, it's due to a limitation with how LunaLua is set up. A limitation Rednaxela is working to remove. We can't read your mind to find out what bugs you're experiencing, though.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:27 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:When doing the Flamethrower cheat, megaman can actually shoot fireballs (Normal ones), even when he's out of bullets.
Likely to be fixed in Beta 4 by a rework we're doing to Megaman so that he shoots a new and separate NPC.
TheKidCodee wrote:And the multiplayer bug is there probably due to the fact that
We know exactly why it's happening, it's because we don't have the tech to change the hitboxes for, say, Peach, on a per-player basis.
TheKidCodee wrote:corrupted some scripts
This is very much not a thing.
TheKidCodee wrote:when using the shadow star cheat with a costume the costume stays the same
This is because shadowstar, in Beta 3 and earlier, relies on having a masked GIF for the player graphics, when I imagine the costumes are PNG. In Beta 4 we've fixed this by drawing a solid black version of the player on top of the player using shaders.
TheKidCodee wrote:Theres also probably a lot more bugs that could be caused by lunalua.
LunaLua does not cause any bugs. All bugs in SMBX2 content are with SMBX2 content, if you haven't noticed.
TheKidCodee wrote:And its kinda unprofessional to code new stuff into a game with a completely diffrent engine.
What?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 am

TheKidCodee wrote:And its kinda unprofessional to code new stuff into a game with a completely diffrent engine.
What?
Just an opinion and should not affect SMBX2's Devolopment.[/quote]
Kinda a weird opinion since it uses the same engine and it works. No idea what is unprofessional besides the fact that it's an unofficial Mario game which basically applies to all versions

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:32 am

It's kinda unprofessional to make something in Visual Basic 6 in 2009, when the language was last updated in 1998 and officially declared dead in 2008.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
It's kinda unprofessional to make something in Visual Basic 6 in 2009, when the language was last updated in 1998 and officially declared dead in 2008.
Are you saying that Redigit himself is unprofessional?
Very. You should see his code.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:You should be happy that he even made code. If he didnt. We wouldnt be here, would we?
TheKidCodee wrote:and this is a fourm for suggestions, not deylayed comebacks
You're honestly taking this way too personally and getting way too snarky over it from what I can tell

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 am

TheKidCodee wrote:
Westretroman wrote: I don't think this topic was useless, but some of your suggestions didn't appease them, you can still suggest things, but try another idea that would work, but if you think that it's still useless, then yeah, leave the power of decision making to the higher-ups, meanwhile, you can train your Lunalua knowledge to create some cool stuff and maybe the suggestions you listed above.
"appease?" Im not trying to "appease" them. But i am saying what they should be doing with 2.0.

You are in absolutely no position to be saying what they "should" be doing. A better way to phrase this is what you would like to see in 2.0.

Also his code is pretty ass. Yes we can be glad he at least did it but they get to sit and laugh (or cry) at it as they're overwriting most of it as they're adding onto it with their own code.

And one more thing: LunaLua is a program made with lua, not a coding language in itself. Humble yourself and listen to yourself.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:21 am

TLtimelord wrote: And one more thing: LunaLua is a program made with lua, not a coding language in itself. Humble yourself and listen to yourself.
This isn't actually accurate. LunaLua is an extension module written in C++ and ASM, which hooks a Lua environment to SMBX. The LunaLua API consists if those hooks and some extra Lua libraries to facilitate that. Lua is the language, LunaLua is a collection of libraries for that language, more or less.

LunaLua is sort of like XNA. XNA was set of tools and functions for C#, not a language in itself, but it also wasn't necessarily written IN C#, it just provided functionality TO the programming interface.

Yey
Banned

Postby Yey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:32 pm

A suggestion for 2.0:

Having the Koopalings as costumes of Link.

Return to “Help and Support”