Put Your Suggestions For 2.0 Here!

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Put Your Suggestions For 2.0 Here!

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:41 am

I understand this is going to be a developer nightmare but I do believe this would actually help not only players enjoy Super Mario Brothers X 2.0 better but also help to improve existing level designers' level design skills. My suggestion is for when you save a level using the PGE level editor that it marks down a special symbol or something in the file that indicates whether or not the developer tested the level and completed it using the level editor, each save of the level would give an incomplete symbol. To get and keep the complete symbol, the developer would have to test play the level and once complete the level file would be saved with the completed symbol. This is similar to how Super Mario maker will not allow you to publish a level unless you complete it to prevent non completable levels being apart of their collection. The primary use of the feature would be for the Mario challenge mode, the mode Lua script could read the levels selected from all the episodes in the worlds folder and check for the completed level indicator symbol. If the level contains a completed level symbol, then it will be loaded into the randomized level selection process but if the level does not contain the symbol or the symbol is for an uncompleted level, then the challenge mode will skip adding the level to the randomized level selection. This will make it easier for anyone playing the Mario challenge mode to play without worrying whether or not they're going to encounter a level that has no way of being completed. I am no immature at Super Mario and I am finding it extremely difficult to play the selection of level design contest level packs and even a few episodes found on this forum because a lot of them are completable and a lot of them are hard which isn't the complaint but several of them appear to not have been tested enough to prove that they are even completable. Main point is this will help level designers improve their ability to design levels since they will be forced to play them in order for them to be part of the Mario challenge mode and in the future maybe this proposed feature could be expanded to mimic Super Mario maker's level completion requirement for upload if an online feature is added that doesn't require the manual download off of this forum using off site links then the manual install of episodes and levels.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 am

CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:I understand this is going to be a developer nightmare but I do believe this would actually help not only players enjoy Super Mario Brothers X 2.0 better but also help to improve existing level designers' level design skills. My suggestion is for when you save a level using the PGE level editor that it marks down a special symbol or something in the file that indicates whether or not the developer tested the level and completed it using the level editor, each save of the level would give an incomplete symbol. To get and keep the complete symbol, the developer would have to test play the level and once complete the level file would be saved with the completed symbol. This is similar to how Super Mario maker will not allow you to publish a level unless you complete it to prevent non completable levels being apart of their collection. The primary use of the feature would be for the Mario challenge mode, the mode Lua script could read the levels selected from all the episodes in the worlds folder and check for the completed level indicator symbol. If the level contains a completed level symbol, then it will be loaded into the randomized level selection process but if the level does not contain the symbol or the symbol is for an uncompleted level, then the challenge mode will skip adding the level to the randomized level selection. This will make it easier for anyone playing the Mario challenge mode to play without worrying whether or not they're going to encounter a level that has no way of being completed. I am no immature at Super Mario and I am finding it extremely difficult to play the selection of level design contest level packs and even a few episodes found on this forum because a lot of them are completable and a lot of them are hard which isn't the complaint but several of them appear to not have been tested enough to prove that they are even completable. Main point is this will help level designers improve their ability to design levels since they will be forced to play them in order for them to be part of the Mario challenge mode and in the future maybe this proposed feature could be expanded to mimic Super Mario maker's level completion requirement for upload if an online feature is added that doesn't require the manual download off of this forum using off site links then the manual install of episodes and levels.
trivially spoofed and ultimately pointless
i fail to even see that there exists a problem that this would solve

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:44 am

Yey wrote:A suggestion for 2.0:

Having the Koopalings as costumes of Link.
Man, I know you'll like to see that but it's pointless

First: It doesn't add anything new to the game, just the koopalings in Link costumes

Second: You can simply do that by making your own custom graphics

Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 pm

The0x539 wrote:
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:I understand this is going to be a developer nightmare but I do believe this would actually help not only players enjoy Super Mario Brothers X 2.0 better but also help to improve existing level designers' level design skills. My suggestion is for when you save a level using the PGE level editor that it marks down a special symbol or something in the file that indicates whether or not the developer tested the level and completed it using the level editor, each save of the level would give an incomplete symbol. To get and keep the complete symbol, the developer would have to test play the level and once complete the level file would be saved with the completed symbol. This is similar to how Super Mario maker will not allow you to publish a level unless you complete it to prevent non completable levels being apart of their collection. The primary use of the feature would be for the Mario challenge mode, the mode Lua script could read the levels selected from all the episodes in the worlds folder and check for the completed level indicator symbol. If the level contains a completed level symbol, then it will be loaded into the randomized level selection process but if the level does not contain the symbol or the symbol is for an uncompleted level, then the challenge mode will skip adding the level to the randomized level selection. This will make it easier for anyone playing the Mario challenge mode to play without worrying whether or not they're going to encounter a level that has no way of being completed. I am no immature at Super Mario and I am finding it extremely difficult to play the selection of level design contest level packs and even a few episodes found on this forum because a lot of them are completable and a lot of them are hard which isn't the complaint but several of them appear to not have been tested enough to prove that they are even completable. Main point is this will help level designers improve their ability to design levels since they will be forced to play them in order for them to be part of the Mario challenge mode and in the future maybe this proposed feature could be expanded to mimic Super Mario maker's level completion requirement for upload if an online feature is added that doesn't require the manual download off of this forum using off site links then the manual install of episodes and levels.
There are levels on here that are next to impossible because of design flaws in the level itself! You did not read any of that, what do you even mean by trivially spoofed?? Sounds like you think its not a problem because you are one of the level designers who don't test their own levels to see if even they can complete them, it is not ultimately pointless. This thread is for suggestions therefore every suggestion should have a valid point and respected as an idea. Calling my suggestion ultimately pointless is disrespecting my idea.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 pm

CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
There are levels on here that are next to impossible because of design flaws in the level itself! You did not read any of that, what do you even mean by trivially spoofed?? Sounds like you think its not a problem because you are one of the level designers who don't test their own levels to see if even they can complete them, it is not ultimately pointless. This thread is for suggestions therefore every suggestion should have a valid point and respected as an idea. Calling my suggestion ultimately pointless is disrespecting my idea.
I'll have you know I probably spend as much time testing my levels as placing blocks, and probably actually play them more than any other individual. It's easily spoofed because you can just edit the level as a text file. Any "secret" cryptographic stuff wouldn't work since the editor is open-source (as it darn well should be), and Lua that makes the level easier could be inserted for testing, and then removed since it's not part of the .lvl file.
If someone is dumb enough to not test their levels, not only will this not fix that, but that individual clearly doesn't know enough about game design for their content to be worth playing until they learn.

Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:18 pm

The0x539 wrote:
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:
The0x539 wrote: trivially spoofed and ultimately pointless
If someone is dumb enough to not test their levels, not only will this not fix that, but that individual clearly doesn't know enough about game design for their content to be worth playing until they learn.
^ This is why popularity of this game won't increase, why call people dumb? Also I know its a flawed idea because people of Mario Maker make shortcuts so they can complete an impossible level, all that does is make them look bad. As far as the encryption goes, I think that 1.4 does is great, password encryption would put a stop to what you claim is a hole in my idea and yes I know this is 2.0 we are talking about, I am stating that maybe 1.4 has a feature we might want to adopt. I never said anything about editing the editor I was talking about the level file only. So to re-explain my idea: encrypt the level (not level editor) file on file save and add a mark that it wasn't completed yet, add lua to decrypt in on load on the game so the game can read it (to prevent level tampering), when the dev tests the level in the level editor (decrypt it to read the level file as if the file is being used by the game) once completed the level editor re-saves the file with the completed mark then re-encrypts it. This process should not be hard to follow. And yes again I know it can be overridden but level designers that actually care will follow this. There are not many that care and it shows... I downloaded several popular episodes (based on topic views) from this forum and from level contests held here and I can tell you 90% of them are by developers who built them thinking it winnable NOT testing to see if it actually can be. Again this is MY suggestion. This is a suggestion thread not a place to tear down others ideas. That's all that's been done to this suggestion thus far and it is inappropriate, my suggestions and opinions are as valid as yours and anyone else's. Note: Before you mention this will make some 1.3 levels incompatible it was my impression, correct me if I'm wrong (with proof please), that once 2.0 is out in full release 1.3.1 will not be supported, levels can be updated to 2.0 but no direct support will be made since 2.0 is overhauling so much they are even re branding the game SMBX2 not SMBX 2.0

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:37 pm

CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:There are levels on here that are next to impossible because of design flaws in the level itself! You did not read any of that, what do you even mean by trivially spoofed??
Sure, but how prevalent is this issue honestly? Iirc levels posted in the Levels forum are locked/deleted if they aren't completeable and are disqualified from contests if this is the case as well, though this rarely happens. In terms of episodes, for those who don't test their episodes they also probably don't have the integrity to make a good, full-length episode that a significant number of people will play. In terms of good episodes, sometimes there are mistakes but people are notified and fix them.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Sounds like you think its not a problem because you are one of the level designers who don't test their own levels to see if even they can complete them, it is not ultimately pointless.
Not sure where you got that from but insulting people doesn't do anything but make you look bad The0x539 obviously tests his levels since he scored like 4th in SCC.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:This thread is for suggestions therefore every suggestion should have a valid point and respected as an idea. Calling my suggestion ultimately pointless is disrespecting my idea.
"Ultimately pointless" has been justified and whether you view it as disrespectful or not, it's pretty true.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:^ This is why popularity of this game won't increase, why call people dumb?
Unrelated entirely.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Also I know its a flawed idea because people of Mario Maker make shortcuts so they can complete an impossible level, all that does is make them look bad. As far as the encryption goes, I think that 1.4 does is great, password encryption would put a stop to what you claim is a hole in my idea and yes I know this is 2.0 we are talking about, I am stating that maybe 1.4 has a feature we might want to adopt. I never said anything about editing the editor I was talking about the level file only. So to re-explain my idea: encrypt the level (not level editor) file on file save and add a mark that it wasn't completed yet, add lua to decrypt in on load on the game so the game can read it (to prevent level tampering), when the dev tests the level in the level editor (decrypt it to read the level file as if the file is being used by the game) once completed the level editor re-saves the file with the completed mark then re-encrypts it. This process should not be hard to follow. And yes again I know it can be overridden but level designers that actually care will follow this. There are not many that care and it shows... I downloaded several popular episodes (based on topic views) from this forum and from level contests held here and I can tell you 90% of them are by developers who built them thinking it winnable NOT testing to see if it actually can be.
You don't understand how things work and what is worthwhile to put time into. You even identified an issue in the idea yourself.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Again this is MY suggestion. This is a suggestion thread not a place to tear down others ideas. That's all that's been done to this suggestion thus far and it is inappropriate, my suggestions and opinions are as valid as yours and anyone else's.
You being uninformed and being somewhat hostile towards completely valid comments is unnecessary. Your suggestions aren't necessarily as valid as you think they are because you fail to see the big picture and understand what actually is important.
CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Note: Before you mention this will make some 1.3 levels incompatible it was my impression, correct me if I'm wrong (with proof please), that once 2.0 is out in full release 1.3.1 will not be supported, levels can be updated to 2.0 but no direct support will be made since 2.0 is overhauling so much they are even re branding the game SMBX2 not SMBX 2.0
Where did you get this from? SMBX2 is intended to maintain full compatibility with previous versions. Further proving the fact that you rant without being informed at all

Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Okay I was doing this for my YouTube channel but I can see why popularity is crashing... this forum only sees its self as superior. I withdrawl my suggestion and interest in your game.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 pm

CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Okay I was doing this for my YouTube channel but I can see why popularity is crashing... this forum only sees its self as superior. I withdrawl my suggestion and interest in your game.
This has nothing to do with superiority. You have to remember that devs are people too with lives outside SMBX. We want to include features that will benefit a significant number of people, not ones that will act as a contingency to people playing SMBX. Feel free to withdraw yourself from the community but just maybe take some time to realize that we are only trying to help you understand the bigger picture and that SMBX is intended to be an engine with few restrictions to allow people to produce fun material easily to share with others

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:...i'd suggest learning a little lunalua to learn syntax.
"To learn syntax" is like completely wrong. You learn the syntax of LunaLua, though this wouldn't help with CC_COMEDIC_COMMENTATOR's since it would need a significant amount of tech to integrate and probably a module to work directly in conjunction with the forums or a specific SMBX level hosting service

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

CC_Comedic_Comentator wrote:Okay I was doing this for my YouTube channel but I can see why popularity is crashing... this forum only sees its self as superior. I withdrawl my suggestion and interest in your game.
Tbh you are kinda overreacting here

squp
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: worm
Pronouns: they/them

Postby squp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 pm

More worldmap stuff, by far.

Shadow1231
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Shadow1231 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Assuming we're posting suggestions I suggest that multiple stars should be able to be collected in a level so people can make huge Mario 63-esque levels

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:10 am

^That's already possible and trivial if you have a hub world episode.

If you want to make a world map episode, you can use other kinds of exits and add a collectable star to them. But you don't have more than four directions anyway.

squp
Snifit
Snifit

Postby squp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm

I see what you mean, but it wouldn't need an icon. I jsut think it would need a thing in the .lvl file to say it's verified or something.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby arcade999 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
TheKidCodee wrote: Are you saying that Redigit himself is unprofessional?
Very. You should see his code.
You should be happy that he even made code. If he didnt. We wouldnt be here, would we?
I can barely why the fact that he made the main code of smbx and that without that, we wouldn't be here excuse the fact that the code is a mess and he isn't qualified anough.

Chaotic Gaming
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Chaotic Gaming » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:43 pm

FlatKiwi wrote:
I see what you mean, but it wouldn't need an icon. I jsut think it would need a thing in the .lvl file to say it's verified or something.
That's what I mean exactly. There is a big difference between a unpassed troll level because it is really impassable and troll level that has been passed at least once. Also it wouldn't hurt to help others out there to improve on level design.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:27 pm

TheKidCodee wrote:It wouldn't be possible to put some line of text in the level folder
How do you think save data works? There are LunaLua APIs rn that create a data file and then save to it, as well as the Data class and lunajson

squp
Snifit
Snifit

Postby squp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I think a way to view video files while in a level would be cool- kinda like real video cutscenes, I'm not sure if you can do it in lunalua (yet)

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:01 pm

There was a extension made a while back to support videos, but the code was messy and difficult to integrate properly with the main build. It's something that is on the list though.

Return to “Help and Support”