MaGLX3 - An Important Announcement

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

MaGLX3 - An Important Announcement

Postby Sturg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

In Super Mario 64, if you get all 120 stars, a cannon will be unlocked in the courtyard that shoots you onto the castle roof. There, you can meet Yoshi, who rewards you with 99 lives!

Old post:
Spoiler: show
After a bit of a stall, we can get the Make A Good Level X3 contest sort of moving along! I've got some interesting things planned for this contest, and I'm excited to share them all with y'all! Of course, I'm gonna need a couple of peeps to help with this (potentially big) project!

So, without further ado, here's what I'm going to need:

Contest Judges!

Obviously, judges are kinda important for a contest, so this is priority one right here!

This time around, however, people who are willing and/or wanting to judge for MaGLX3 are going to need to play-test and judge a couple sample levels that I have prepared. This is so I can see everyone's judging style and better establish a good idea of who I want to pick for judges.

Applying is fairly simple!
  1. Download the MaGLX3 Judge Audition Packet and follow the instructions in the READ ME.txt
  2. Play through each level
  3. Judge each level
  4. Fill out the sign-up form included in the packet
  5. Send your results to me via PM, E-mail, or through Discord.
Some important notes:

-Play these levels with the SMBX 2.0 engine that is included with the packet!!!
Otherwise, there's a possibility some levels won't work properly!
-Start each level as SMALL MARIO unless otherwise specified!

And, uhhh, that's pretty much it really! There's a little more detail inside the packet, including the rubric, level gimmicks, etc.

All judge applications will be due on AUGUST 7th, 11:59pm MST!! So make sure to get them in by then!

If anybody has questions about the gimmick, judging, or anything else! Please feel free to message me! Same goes for if any of the levels appear to be broken or otherwise!!!

HUB Designers!

Similarly to previous contests, there will be an episode/game/HUB thingamajig for this contest! Shocking!

This time around, I'd like to get the episode out for everyone at the time the LP starts so that everyone may enjoy it! I'll need some determined folks to help formulate a pretty rad game out of the contest levels in a decent amount of time.

How to apply:
  1. Download the HUB Designer Sign Up Form and fill it out.
  2. Send it to me through PM or E-mail.

All designer applications will be due on AUGUST 7th, 11:59pm MST!!

Easy as that!!!

Composers!

Along with designers for the HUB, I would also like to ask for musical composers that are willing to help make a custom soundtrack for the MaGLX3 HUB. Again, music for the HUB, and nothing that will replace the default SMBX music.

How to apply:
  1. Create a 15-30 second jingle indicating that you are capable of making music. You are free to do however you please with this composition.
  2. Export and send the audio file to me via PM or E-mail.
I'd like to get as many as I can for this job, so feel free to apply if you know you're alright with composing!!!

That all about covers it for now! So if you're interested in any of these positions, please follow the instructions and send stuff to me!!!
Last edited by Sturg on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 15 times in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 am

Wish I saw this here earlier, already applied at Talkhaus.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Wish I saw this here earlier, already applied at Talkhaus.
Does it make any difference

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Sturg wrote:HUB-DESIGNERS SIGN-UP FORM

Please answer the following questions:

1) What experience do you have in general HUB designing? (50 words max)

2) What experience do you have with LUA? (50 words max)

3) What experience do you have in custom sprite work? (50 words max)

4) If you did make it in, would you prefer to submit a level to the contest or make one for the potential post-game?
So does it matter if I am only good at making SMBX levels or does every level designer have to be good at making custom GFXs and coding with LunaLua as well?

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Sturg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sturg wrote:HUB-DESIGNERS SIGN-UP FORM

Please answer the following questions:

1) What experience do you have in general HUB designing? (50 words max)

2) What experience do you have with LUA? (50 words max)

3) What experience do you have in custom sprite work? (50 words max)

4) If you did make it in, would you prefer to submit a level to the contest or make one for the potential post-game?
So does it matter if I am only good at making SMBX levels or does every level designer have to be good at making custom GFXs and coding with LunaLua as well?
Have those two qualities can definitely boost an individual's chances since the HUB will likely utilize them, but having both isn't incredibly necessary.

timocomsmbx2345
Nipper
Nipper

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Wait, didn't MAGLX3 already happen?

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 pm

timocomsmbx2345 wrote:Wait, didn't MAGLX3 already happen?
No, maglx3 has been in preparation for the last few months.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Are we allowed to apply for more than one?

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Sturg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 am

Yes.

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Re: (1 Weeks Left!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby Sturg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm

One week left y'all!!! If you've had any inclination to be a judge/HUB designer, make sure to turn your sign-up stuff in soon!

As of now, I've gotten 4 people wanting to help with the music. While that is pretty decent, I'd like to ask for more. So I encourage anybody who has prior composition experience to feel free and message me, I could use all the help I get with the music!!!

Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Re: (1 Weeks Left!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm

1 weeks left y'all

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Re: (FINAL DAY!) Want to help with MaGLX3? Sign-ups here!!

Postby Sturg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:48 pm

3 (technically) days left everyone! Anybody with some sort of interest should still feel free to apply, it's only too late until after the deadline!

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Re: X3 Sign-ups Closed! Composers still needed!

Postby Sturg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 am

Thanks for everyone who signed up for one thing or another!

Composers are still always welcome, so again, feel free to message me/whatnot if you're interested!

Tune in soon!

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:59 pm

hoo boy

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 am

Out of curiosity, how many people are signed up for music now?

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

MaGLX3 - VOTE for Community-Selected Judge!!

Postby Sturg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 am

Heya howdy! Thanks again to everyone who auditioned to be a judge/HUB designer/composer! It excites me to see a bunch of people wanting to help with the project. (again if you want to make beautiful music please say so)
HenryRichard wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people are signed up for music now?
I've gotten 8 people who are interested so far.

Judge-wise, I received a total of 10 applications, which I think is pretty good! There's some pretty interesting competition, with some incredibly varying results and scorings from each individual! It has honestly been a difficult time deciding who I think would do really good with the whole "judge a buncha levels" thing. I've managed to narrow it down to two judges (1 talkhaus, 1 SMBXer) who I think would do an excellent job and provide their own unique take as a judge.

However, before I announce who they are, I'd like to see who all you guys think should be a judge.

Therefore, I'd like to announce:

THE COMMUNITY-SELECTED JUDGE

Yep! To help prevent MaGL HOSTING BIAS TM, I'd like the communities (both talkhaus and the SMBX forums) to vote on who they think can do the best job at judging! I'd also like a 4th judge due to the several qualified applicants, as it would've made it a huge bummer not allow some of these guys to be judges!also also I'm waiting on beta 4 so that we can actually get this contest started soooo yeah you can call this "stalling" in a sense...

I have taken each applicant, even the ones that I have already selected, and have randomly assigned them to a fruit (because fruits are nutritious and awesome). I have also posted their scores and reviews down below where anyone could pop-in and take a quick look at what each judge has to offer. The identity of the applicants have been left out to prevent bias based on reputation, and I'd like everyone to vote based an applicant's judging style.

Now, what does everyone else have to do? Well, it's real simple!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Review the results, and decide who you want.

2) Click this link and fill out the survey.

3) Make sure to submit your vote by AUGUST 20th by 11:59pm MST!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy as that!

Everything that you guys need to know should be all down below, including some links to .gifs of the audition levels to provide a preview in-case you're not terribly familiar with them. I do implore everyone to, at the very least, glance at the written portion of the reviews. The judge comments, in particular, can provide interesting insight into each applicant. The graph/picture thing shows each applicants scoring and favorites from the pack. Take note that the levels in the pack itself were specifically intended to test certain level qualities and look at what each person likes/dislikes/prefers/all that mumbo jumbo. However, do remember that opinions do exist and people will have different experiences with each level.

*APPLICANTS: Do Not Reveal Who You Are! Keep it to yourself and don't spoil the fun yo!

***(Also take note applicants that some of the scores are different from what you put down, that's because some of your guys' math was wrong and I went through and fixed it... oops.)

Anyways, I'm interested to see who y'all vote for, and I'll just leave it at that! If there are any questions, please feel free to message me.

Audition Results

Level Previews

[1] Janky Gimmick [2] Aesthetic [3] Low Effort [4] Gimmick; Untested Puzzle [5] Hard [6] Romp

Written Reviews
Apple Banana
Peach Coconut
Melon Mango
Cherry Kiwi
Grape Blueberry

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Re: MaGLX3 - VOTE for Community-Selected Judge!!

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Thoughts:
Apple: Reviews were nice and short, mostly accurate scores. Someone I think would be a good judge.
Banana: These reviews are about the same quality as Ninja Boy's reviews...
Peach: Short and sweet reviews that say what he liked/didn't like about the level. He'd probably be a good fit for the contest.
Cononut: Reviews are too short and not really helpful.
Melon: Nice reviews that give good constructive feedback.
Mango: Seems like a very strict judge in terms of scores, but that would make the contest more interesting.
Cherry: Very good reviews that fit perfectly in a MaGL X contest.
Kiwi: Not a huge fan of these reviews, also his English isn't that good which makes him kinda hard to understand sometimes.
Grape: I like his reviews but the fact that he gave up on a hard level after only one attempt (or at least that's what it sounded like) is off-putting.
Blueberry: Some stuff he says doesn't make sense, but overall he seems like an okay judge.

Overall, my picks are:
1. Apple
2. Mango
3. Cherry
4. Melon

Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 am

At least there are 4 good judges this contest rather than just 1 good host.

Inspirited
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Inspirited » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 am

I just would like to say that most judges could say just a little bit more in their reviews. :) (Talking about most judges, not all) Mentioning one more pro and one more contra would be perfect. Thankies.

Sturg
Spiny
Spiny

Re: LAST DAY TO VOTE!!! - MaGLX3 - VOTE for Community-Selected Judge!!

Postby Sturg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am

A reminder that TODAY is the last day to vote for the CS judge y'all. Make sure you get your vote in if you want your voice to be heard!

Return to “Archives”