What smbx feature have you always wanted.

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
AToMIC
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I'm here
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: What smbx feature have you always wanted.

Postby AToMIC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 pm

This will sound like a strange thing, but I've always wanted a better path system. Paths being the objects used to connect levels on a world map. I always wished that your character would automatically move on them like in SMW. I don't like how you must manually navigate your character in between levels. Another thing I've always wanted was an option to have unopened paths be shown but a different color. Like in Super Mario World where a level you or path you haven't unlocked is dark green. Finally, I want more variations in path curves and diagonal paths to really spice up the world map. Once again, these are seen in SMW. I know there are slope variation graphics out there but most of them require turning off grid snapping, which can make paths buggy, and in the end manually controlling your character through these custom paths is all the more clunkier.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Sarge wrote:This will sound like a strange thing, but I've always wanted a better path system. Paths being the objects used to connect levels on a world map. I always wished that your character would automatically move on them like in SMW. I don't like how you must manually navigate your character in between levels. Another thing I've always wanted was an option to have unopened paths be shown but a different color. Like in Super Mario World where a level you or path you haven't unlocked is dark green. Finally, I want more variations in path curves and diagonal paths to really spice up the world map. Once again, these are seen in SMW. I know there are slope variation graphics out there but most of them require turning off grid snapping, which can make paths buggy, and in the end manually controlling your character through these custom paths is all the more clunkier.
There's travL.lua in SMBX2 which does exactly this. Don't think it's in Beta 3 but come Beta 4 it will allow you to travel between levels automatically and change the speed you move too. To make unopened paths a different colour just replace scenery graphics and place them under the paths which will show when they're hidden. I was thinking of making an API for this kinda thing too at one point and might do so soon. I think now it'll also be possible to add slopes paths; someone just has to choose to do it sooner or later

Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Sarge wrote:This will sound like a strange thing, but I've always wanted a better path system. Paths being the objects used to connect levels on a world map. I always wished that your character would automatically move on them like in SMW. I don't like how you must manually navigate your character in between levels.
There's an API in SMBX2 which does this, actually. You can see it used for the LCJ episode:

Another thing I've always wanted was an option to have unopened paths be shown but a different color. Like in Super Mario World where a level you or path you haven't unlocked is dark green.
I think this one is possible as well. If I'm not wrong, it's possible to make one tile that appears to be made of many other tiles. This way, you could make a world map using just a few tiles, and have the path you want the player to see laid out in dark green (or whatever color you like). Then later you can make a path using normal tiles for what the player's unlocked.
Finally, I want more variations in path curves and diagonal paths to really spice up the world map. Once again, these are seen in SMW. I know there are slope variation graphics out there but most of them require turning off grid snapping, which can make paths buggy, and in the end manually controlling your character through these custom paths is all the more clunkier.
This is the only thing I haven't seen made in SMBX2 yet. But I'm certain someone will come up with it, eventually.

xXAndytubeXx
Bit
Bit
Flair: luigi is numero uno

Postby xXAndytubeXx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd have to say that I have wanted a bunch of other characters that are well known, like Sonic, Samus, many different types of Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Rosalina, Fox, and other like those. Maybe even Crash Bandicoot... But I'm going off topic of Nintendo a little bit. Also, another thing I have wanted is online capability, so you can play with a friend online. That would be fun.

LordYoshi999
Spike
Spike

Postby LordYoshi999 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

xXAndytubeXx wrote:I'd have to say that I have wanted a bunch of other characters that are well known, like Sonic, Samus, many different types of Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Rosalina, Fox, and other like those. Maybe even Crash Bandicoot... But I'm going off topic of Nintendo a little bit. Also, another thing I have wanted is online capability, so you can play with a friend online. That would be fun.
Some of these are already in the game, if you play 2.0 I believe.

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:32 pm

honestly just give me autotiling and i'll be set for life

squp
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: worm
Pronouns: they/them

Postby squp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

I'd like to see sound IDs visible in the event menu.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm

I want playables for any or all of these fellas:
image: show

MarioboyFan602
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby MarioboyFan602 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:33 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:8-bit versions of Mario 1, 2 USA, & 3 graphics
im working on a SMB episode, and im adding alot of SMB 1 Graphics, i am even attempting to try and make my own custom SMB 1 textures with some new mixed up bosses.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:09 pm

FlatKiwi wrote:I'd like to see sound IDs visible in the event menu.
Why?

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm

PixelPest wrote:
FlatKiwi wrote:I'd like to see sound IDs visible in the event menu.
Why?
It would be convenient for quickly looking up the values for Audio.playSFX. I mean there's this but being able to do it in PGE would be easier.

squp
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: worm
Pronouns: they/them

Postby squp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm

I think having an easy(ish)-to-use cutscene/title screen editor would be pretty d a n d y

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???

Postby Super Luigi! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:34 pm

With me, there are probably quite a few, but for now, I'll say:
Spoiler: show
An actual supermario2.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:With me, there are probably quite a few, but for now, I'll say:
Spoiler: show
An actual supermario2.
What do you mean "actual"?

Oshi
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Flair: ==> cool text! <==
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Oshi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 pm

I always wanted some sort of Switch Palace like feature, if it is not going to be added in Beta 4 already.

If it comes true, then how about those blocks from Super Mario World that make you run up walls?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 pm

All I ever wanted in SMBX is the Wing cap. :P

Tiger Festival
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Tiger Festival » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I wouldn't really call this a feature but I wished that 2 sets of sprites isn't needed for all characters for each sheet. In otherwords it's tedious dealing with a large number of sprites for each sheet for a character since each sheet has characters doing their actions on the left then on the right on each sheet.

Oshi
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Flair: ==> cool text! <==
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Oshi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:All I ever wanted in SMBX is the Wing cap. :P
Like the one from SM63? I'm pretty sure it would be feasible to recreate with Lua, yet extremely hard.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:I always wanted some sort of Switch Palace like feature, if it is not going to be added in Beta 4 already.
I made Palace Switches, we just need separate blocks for them to toggle.

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???

Postby Super Luigi! » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 pm

The0x539 wrote:What do you mean "actual"?
As in, have the feature without entering the cheat. Of course, if you know the super secret cheat, it might not matter.

Return to “General”