What smbx feature have you always wanted.

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
KitsuriTheFox
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: They/Them

Re: What smbx feature have you always wanted.

Postby KitsuriTheFox » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:23 am

I wish there was some secret convoluted way to unlock Samus

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:08 pm

This may sound a bit interesting but ever since 2018 I always wanted a way to play Battle Game online and from what I remember made like thousand posts on it.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:08 pm
This may sound a bit interesting but ever since 2018 I always wanted a way to play Battle Game online and from what I remember made like thousand posts on it.
you could try launching the 1.3 editor and playing the built-in online mode from there, but since that's really janky you'd probably find better luck trying to play using something like parsec provided all the controls are set up correctly.

Animebryan
Spike
Spike
Flair: Need help!

Postby Animebryan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:42 pm

Enemy & Boss behavior customization. Control over things like whether SMB1 Bowser can spit fireballs and throw hammers, since in the original SMB, Bowser in worlds 1-5 only breathe fire, 6 & 7 only throw hammers & 8 is the only one to do both. But it would be nice to give enemies & bosses hybrid behaviors like Fryguy shooting 4 fireballs overhead like a Lava Lotus, or give Larry Koopa the same Stomp effect as a Sledge Bro., or have Hammer Bros (resprited as Dry Bros.) collapse into a pile of bones & revive just like Dry Bones, etc.

It would make designing custom enemies & bosses a lot more easier & add a wider variety as well.

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sandomer » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:30 am

everything of each version

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:32 pm

[quote=deice post_id=393942 time=1658784278 user_id=21102]
[quote=Chanceux2 post_id=393940 time=1658783325 user_id=19504]
[/quote]

you [i]could[/i] try launching the 1.3 editor and playing the built-in online mode from there, but since that's really janky you'd probably find better luck trying to play using something like [url="https://parsec.app/features"]parsec[/url] provided all the controls are set up correctly.
[/quote]

From what I remember 1.3 doesn't even support Battle Game Online anyway

Mr Existent
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: I do art
Pronouns: He/They

Postby Mr Existent » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Map tiles that are thinner or more lenient in terms of design so that I don't have to structure my maps in such weird ways just so something doesn't look bad.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:01 am

Mr Existent wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Map tiles that are thinner or more lenient in terms of design so that I don't have to structure my maps in such weird ways just so something doesn't look bad.
This is very interesting to me! In case there is a chance for us to address this in a future SMBX2 version, can you give a concrete example? Perhaps a screenshot comparison of one side being current/bad and then a reference image/edited screenshot of the other side showing your ideal.
I think that would be very insightful.

Mr Existent
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Mr Existent » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:01 am
Mr Existent wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm
This is very interesting to me! In case there is a chance for us to address this in a future SMBX2 version, can you give a concrete example? Perhaps a screenshot comparison of one side being current/bad and then a reference image/edited screenshot of the other side showing your ideal.
I think that would be very insightful.
The platforms had to be bigger and use more tiles so as the hills didn't cut off poorly.
The first has a tiny cut off on the bottom left side of the hill. I cannot unsee it and it bugs me to no end.
The second image has two hills above the main plain area. They have to be really wide to cover up the path inbetween.
The last picture has this problem. I can't halfspace the pathing, so I have to make the platform really wide and it looks kinda awkward sometimes.

Super mario world romhacks are more flexible with their tiling.
I got this one off of a simple google search.
Notice how much more complex tiling there is. Now im not saying it has to be this extreme, however it would be nice to have more slants and slope options. Also halfspace pathing so I can do 2x2 islands.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:26 pm

Thanks for the plentiful examples! I definitely see what you mean. SMW's use of 8x8 tiles to form its larger 16x16 tiles definitely gives a lot more flexibility in design. That's something I definitely want as well.
Currently you can very much combat the issue, albeit a little awkwardly. If you build your map in the editor, then export it as a PNG and edit it in an image editing software, then re-import it as larger chunks and re-build that in the game, you can have a map that looks however you want. There is a guide on it here and it was first used in this map to subtly have more tile colours than ought to be possible.

Though even with half-tiling, there's some things that are always gonna be a pain, I suppose. It can for example look really awkward if islands are slanted towards the camera, that is to say if a plateau doesn't have the same height of wall tiles around all its edges facing the screen, like in your second image. Or if the player gets off a plateau westwards/eastwards/northwards by means of anything other than a bridge, like in your third image, because he'd be technically jumping downwards and northwards. I wonder if there is a way to make these things more intuitive as well.

Mr Existent
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Mr Existent » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:16 am

Sweet, thanks man

Bulletbill510
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Bulletbill510 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:00 pm

There were lots of things I wanted to be seen in SMBX 2.0 that are in right now, I won't list all of them, but I think the most major one is the snake block which was introduced in Beta 4, a lot of cool levels and mechanics can be made with them.

Here are some things I would like to see in SMBX 2.0 in the future, I know some of these can probably be done by lunalua, but I'll mention them anyway.
1) Wind - I would like to see an option to add wind in levels, and not have the wind only blow players only left and right, but other directions as well. It would also be great if you could customize the graphics of the wind, it could anything like leaves, snow, sand, etc.

2) Mushroom Platforms - Other than the mushroom semi-solids and such, it would be great if there could be different kind of mushroom platforms that act in all sorts of ways such as tilting/leaning, stretching, going up or down when you stand on them, etc. Because the NSMB series was known for having different types of mushroom platforms.

3) Platforms and Terrain that rotate on their axis - I know this wouldn't get added in until the next decade or two, but it would cool if there elements that rotate on their axis such as rolling ground (NSMB Wii), rotating cubes and platforms, etc.

4) Ways to make scripting somewhat easier - I'm not an expert at scripts, but it would be neat if there was a way to make scripts in a somewhat easier way even though it would still be somewhat difficult. I don't know how to describe it, but I suppose something like that is possible.

5) Walljumping - Currently walljumps can only be added in by scripts, though it would be neat if a walljump option does get put into the editor.

6) Purple wall triangles (From SMW and SMA4) - You know those purple wall triangles you run up so you can run up the walls and ceiling? That would an interesting to feature to have, you can use it for all kinds of levels like speedruns and puzzles.

7) Gravity - The gravity I'm talking about here is gravity that can make you stick to the walls or ceiling. Imagine the possibilities of upside-down and sideways levels.

Mr Existent
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Mr Existent » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:57 pm

Bulletbill510 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:00 pm
There were lots of things I wanted to be seen in SMBX 2.0 that are in right now, I won't list all of them, but I think the most major one is the snake block which was introduced in Beta 4, a lot of cool levels and mechanics can be made with them.

Here are some things I would like to see in SMBX 2.0 in the future, I know some of these can probably be done by lunalua, but I'll mention them anyway.
1) Wind - I would like to see an option to add wind in levels, and not have the wind only blow players only left and right, but other directions as well. It would also be great if you could customize the graphics of the wind, it could anything like leaves, snow, sand, etc.

2) Mushroom Platforms - Other than the mushroom semi-solids and such, it would be great if there could be different kind of mushroom platforms that act in all sorts of ways such as tilting/leaning, stretching, going up or down when you stand on them, etc. Because the NSMB series was known for having different types of mushroom platforms.

3) Platforms and Terrain that rotate on their axis - I know this wouldn't get added in until the next decade or two, but it would cool if there elements that rotate on their axis such as rolling ground (NSMB Wii), rotating cubes and platforms, etc.

4) Ways to make scripting somewhat easier - I'm not an expert at scripts, but it would be neat if there was a way to make scripts in a somewhat easier way even though it would still be somewhat difficult. I don't know how to describe it, but I suppose something like that is possible.

5) Walljumping - Currently walljumps can only be added in by scripts, though it would be neat if a walljump option does get put into the editor.

6) Purple wall triangles (From SMW and SMA4) - You know those purple wall triangles you run up so you can run up the walls and ceiling? That would an interesting to feature to have, you can use it for all kinds of levels like speedruns and puzzles.

7) Gravity - The gravity I'm talking about here is gravity that can make you stick to the walls or ceiling. Imagine the possibilities of upside-down and sideways levels.
I agree with the snake and mushroom platforms.
The snake block would be great here because it would be way less limiting then in Mario maker. Making loop able snake blocks like in NSMB2 would give so many great level designs.
The mushroom platforms are a very untapped market right now and honestly just those levels in general. Think about it, how many 1-3 levels have such good mushroom platforms and other mechanics (The NSMB spinny launcher thing and also weighted platforms) that just somehow don't get used in Mario editors despite being so perfect for them?

Sapphire Bullet Bill
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Sapphire Bullet Bill » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Widescreen and HD Resolution support.
Luckily TheXTech will have this in their next update (1.3.7).

kirbyhasn
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: kirbyhasn

Postby kirbyhasn » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:32 pm

online multiplayer
i always used to play smbx with my young siblings but it was janky to play in 1 keyboard
also all my siblings dont know how to play the game
i know 1.3 editor online multiplayer but its too janky and its near impossoble to play online nowdays because of lack player that will play online anytime

MarkisMaker
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Yes
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MarkisMaker » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:14 pm

More Mario World Stuff. Like the cape.
I know it's coming soon™ to 2.0, buuut it'd be nice to have.

ANueUtsuho
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby ANueUtsuho » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:19 pm

Probably the ability to change which BGOs create a splash effect when water is put on them. Also Lakitu Clouds.
Stuff that's been added by SMBX2 that I always wanted include: Fire Snakes, more or less all the SMW enemies that have been added.

MarisaKirisame
Rex
Rex
Flair: Ze~
Pronouns: he/she/me/wumbo

Postby MarisaKirisame » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:45 am

More SMB3 bosses besides BOOM-BOOM, Larry, and Bowser, and more SMW bosses besides Blonde Ludwig and Reznor.

Alucard648
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Alucard648 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:30 am

1. Expanded overworld customization.
2. Auto-Tiling feature for Editor, like in SMBX-38A.
3. Power-up expansion.
4. Redstone integrated.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:39 am

Alucard648 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:30 am
1. Expanded overworld customization.
there's xmap for vanilla overworld extensions or smwmap if you want to forego the vanilla map altogether
Alucard648 wrote:
2. Auto-Tiling feature for Editor, like in SMBX-38A.
this one would actually be pretty useful, using an ini file to define a "tileset" and then having it automatically change adjacent blocks based on a toggle or something sounds quite convenient.
Alucard648 wrote:
3. Power-up expansion.
adding additional powerup slots that the base game handles out of the box is incredibly difficult. there is anotherpowerup.lua as a compromise though, even though i don't think it accomplishes absolutely everything you probably have in mind with that suggestion.

Return to “General”