Asteroid Mining: Fortune or failure?

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Asteroid Mining: Fortune or failure?

Postby [Egg]Egg » Wed May 10, 2017 6:19 am

Sorry if I made this sound more of a Kurzgesagt video script.
We, as humans know there's 13 thousand NEO (Near Earth Objects) in our solar system. But, what is asteroid mining?
Asteroid mining is the process of using special tools to break asteroids.
The benefits of asteroid mining are nearly endless.
First, anything required that very scarce will become available by commissioning special companies to send drones.
The drones will then cut up the asteroids, take the minerals required, and launch them back to Earth.
Secondly, the chances of asteroids hitting Earth with Asteroid Mining will be greatly reduced, depending on where the location of mining is and how many there are being mined.
The list goes on and on.

But, there are disadvantages.
First, it takes enormous amounts of fuel to get out of Earth's orbit. Once they're out there, they will need gravitational pull help IF the companies designing the robots want to waste as little fuel as possible, and this takes days, it doesn't happen overnight.
Another thing that could happen is that once-valuable minerals like diamond or gold will be worthless.
The abundance of those in the Solar System makes Earth diamonds look like wastes of carbon.
The probes could also be hacked, launching asteroids towards the earth instead of destroying them.\
Technologically, deep space mining will have many ramifications. Planetary Resources has a huge pool of very powerful technological backing, each with "skin in the game" for the success of the project. They will undoubtedly each contribute a great deal toward the theoretical practice of space exploration, mining and many other sciences. Many of these will have real world benefits here on earth. What exactly they will be we can't know, but there will be improvements even if the project does eventually fail. If the project does succeed (not necessarily in profiting, but just in getting some material back to Earth). After that point other advancements will take place. First once the first ounce of platinum reaches Earth, we will likely see the most expensive "gold" rush in history. Thousands of copy cat companies will rise up overnight trying to recreate any success that Planetary Resources has had. They will also know what failures the company experienced in their work and will come up with thousands of new approaches to succeed at it. This will again increase the technological advancements here on Earth. Also there is the previously mentioned boon we will experience after we experience a new source of rare materials. After the ability to mine becomes a practice that bores us we will have accidently made space travel within the inner solar system easy.
(quoted from Quora, one of the websites I use to research)
But the benefits may heavily outweigh the disadvantages.
They could make space flight a breeze.
The outer solar system would be in our hands, with refuelling stations on Titan when plausible.
Titan is one of Saturn's moons, and has an abundance of oil and gas, whom more than earth.
That's really all I've got to say for this topic.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Asteroid Mining: Fortune or failure?

Postby Radiance » Wed May 10, 2017 7:08 am

The thing I don't understand here is this.
[Egg]Egg wrote:The probes could also be hacked, launching asteroids towards the earth instead of destroying them
Is there anyone hack the probe knowing that it will cause a large destruction?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 am

Again with the random space science topics? :?

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Wed May 10, 2017 6:15 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:Again with the random space science topics? :?
I like typing about space :P

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Ahhhhhh, the representant of the eggs is finally back to business.

Metamorphizer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Metamorphizer » Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 am

Asteroid mining is an interesting idea, but I don't think it's remotely feasible at this point in time. Hell, there's places on Earth that may hold enormous mineral deposits, but are mostly untouched because they're so remote that the logistics of mining (transporting equipment and workers, providing housing and food, dealing with extreme weather, transporting and refining ores) are so extreme. Antarctica is the king of remote, untapped places: the enormous ice sheet, extremely cold weather, and distance from anywhere mean that resource extraction (which is banned by treaty anyway) is just too expensive.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu May 11, 2017 12:30 pm

You know at this point that it's starting to look like you're just copying and pasting off Wikipedia without putting much thought into what you're writing, right? The writing style doesn't even look as though you wrote it, and to be honest, I understand you've written it so it's more comprehensible, but just look at the word choices. The fact you're quoting straight of Quora indicates that you don't understand what you're writing about.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 pm

^ I've been wondering why nobody else has suspected this, and I'm starting to wonder why they use info from other sites instead of their own knowledge

Panda
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: 1453 worst year of life
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Panda » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am

practicalshorty014 wrote:^ I've been wondering why nobody else has suspected this, and I'm starting to wonder why they use info from other sites instead of their own knowledge
It's not like a Super Mario forum is the best place to even be discussing science stuff like this anyway, I'm sure there are actual forums devoted to science that he could copy and paste information into.

EDIT: I wonder if he'd care to reference his sources, since he "likes writing about science". I study science at colleges and have to write assignments all the time, the exam board would have a fit if they saw him copy/pasting.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pote ... -Resources
Last edited by Panda on Fri May 12, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

practicalshorty014 wrote:^ I've been wondering why nobody else has suspected this, and I'm starting to wonder why they use info from other sites instead of their own knowledge
well I guessed it from the very beginning but ignored it for the most part :p ... no matter if joke or not, I don't think people here are really interested in reading this stuff

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Fri May 12, 2017 1:31 pm

A while ago I told you to compile all of your science discussion into one thread since most of it seems copied from other sources, so from now on I'd rather you post all of your science facts in one topic rather than 27 unique ones.

Return to “Archives”