Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Unpopular game opinions

Postby Emral » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:14 am

ItsIggy wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:56 am
Terraria is best enjoyed at a 1280x720 resolution, anything higher makes the sprites way too small. A higher resolution isn't always better. (Of course this can also depend the size of your monitor and the distance at which you sit from the monitor.)
I'm an avid player of terraria on 2560x1080 resolution. Native monitor size is always the most natural-looking for a game played in fullscreen. That's kind of the intention.

ItsIggy
Bit
Bit

Postby ItsIggy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:00 am

Enjl wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:14 am
I'm an avid player of terraria on 2560x1080 resolution. Native monitor size is always the most natural-looking for a game played in fullscreen. That's kind of the intention.
I generally like to have my games at the native resolution as well. Terraria and older games where the HUD doesn't scale are exceptions. Take this image of Hitman: Codename 47 in 4k for example:
Spoiler: show
Look at how small that HUD is in 4k! Personally I believe options for Codename 47 in this case to have it set at 720p and turn on supersampling to smooth out the jagged edges so it looks more like this:

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:40 am

That game looks like it was designed before developers anticipated people to get bigger screens. Terraria looks really good in 2K.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:00 am

I think most RPG games* based off the legendary Dragon Ball Z anime shouldn't ever been a thing!

*Want a perfect example of what I mean, Legacy of Goku 1 on the Gameboy Advance

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Prepare to be more pissed off than the freaking Angry Birds at me for saying this in a Mario-theme PG-13 forums:

SEGA's puzzle game, Puyo Puyo, is better than Dr. Mario because it has 90's anime-like GFXs!!!! FIGHT ME

PdizzleParker
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: doin your mom
Pronouns: they/them

Postby PdizzleParker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:00 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:11 pm
FIGHT ME
no

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:52 am

Did I ever, in the history of this SMBX forums topic, say that the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis game, Mega Man The Wily Wars, is the best port of the original Mega Man games? Despite me never getting any better at it's 16-bit port?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm

The 2000 Gameboy Color, Wario Land 3 (A.K.A. Wario Land 3: The Mysterious Music Box in Japan) is the best GB/GBC metroidvania game ever created! Don't :?: me!

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon May 18, 2020 5:25 pm

The only Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance & SEGA Game Gear games that has about or less than 15 minutes of game length and also worth the full retail price* are the fighting games! The rest of the full retail priced short length handheld games are big fat rip-offs!!!!!

*Somewhere between $10-$30 USD

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards

Postby ShadowXeldron » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Ha ha bump/necropost/whatever you call it

Mario Party 9 is actually good, Minecraft is dying, all old/retro video games should be given to the community and released under the GNU General Public License and Pokemon should put all the older 'mons, including the original 151 and the popular ones, on a bus and focus only on completely new 'mons. Also, this next one might cause toxicity and that some people may not consider fangames to be true videogames. Don't say I didn't warn you:
Fangame content creators (especially the Novaverse and Super Smash Flash 2. SSF2 is what set me off on this in the first place) should shut up about their content ownership. Firstly, it isn't your intellectual property to begin with, unless it is an OC or whateve. Secondly, people have no qualms against using official content, which is actually owned by the copyright holders so what is wrong with using fan content? Finally, if I made something original I would let somebody mess witth it no matter how hard I worked on it, because I would license it under the afforementioned GNU GPL, thus making it Free/Open Source Software.
Rant over. Please don't send your goons to my house. I'm going to keep a fire extingusher handy in case a flame war stars.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 am

I think Square soft (Now known as Square Enix) should've continued the freaking Romancing Saga series instead of continuing the freaking Final Fantasy series

Super Wario Bros
Rex
Rex
Flair: Wario Land 2 > Mario Land 2

Postby Super Wario Bros » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Wario Land 2 is the better than any other Wario and Mario land game. 8-)

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm

Super Wario Bros wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm
Is it because the damage system is more suited for a Wario Land game?

Super Wario Bros
Rex
Rex
Flair: Wario Land 2 > Mario Land 2

Postby Super Wario Bros » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Super Wario Bros wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm
Is it because the damage system is more suited for a Wario Land game?
The damage system fits more but I honestly just love WL2’s replayability. After beating it once, you unlock a level map and you can go back and get all the treasure and find the different endings. Other Wario land games had this or something similar, but Wario land 2’s levels felt more like they were designed to be played again and still be fun, mostly because there are hundreds of hidden coins in every level.

Raymunator
Rex
Rex
Flair: I like birds.
Pronouns: he/them

Postby Raymunator » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Super Mario 64 DS is miles better than the N64 original. Sure, the d-pad controls weird, and as somebody who acts like d-pads have 4 directions instead of 8 it took me a while to get used to it, but SM64DS is still better than the original and the only thing the OG has that the DS version doesn't is BLJs and parallel universes, which is a shame depending on if you like speedrunning.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 pm

SparrowWithASword wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:36 pm
the only thing the OG has that the DS version doesn't is BLJs and parallel universes, which is a shame depending on if you like speedrunning.
I never done any of the BLJs in the OG Super Mario 64 in my entire gaming life. And can you tell me what you mean by "Parallel Universes"?

Raymunator
Rex
Rex
Flair: I like birds.
Pronouns: he/them

Postby Raymunator » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 pm
SparrowWithASword wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:36 pm
the only thing the OG has that the DS version doesn't is BLJs and parallel universes, which is a shame depending on if you like speedrunning.
I never done any of the BLJs in the OG Super Mario 64 in my entire gaming life. And can you tell me what you mean by "Parallel Universes"?
A parallel universe is basically a glitch where because of an overflow in the game's data, the game's coordinates loop and the level's geometry is recreated, but remains invisible. You can access a parallel universe in SM64 by reaching ludicrous amounts of speed, since otherwise you will just end out of bounds. Parallel universes are usually used in speedruns (mostly TAS because of how hard it is to access one) and button challenges aka trying to beat the game pressing a certain button as less as posible. To understand the concept, I recommend watching Pannenkoek2012's videos, in specific "Watch for rolling rocks in x0.5 A presses", or the "SM64 TAS explained" by Bismuth.

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Super Wario Bros wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22 pm
The damage system fits more but I honestly just love WL2’s replayability. After beating it once, you unlock a level map and you can go back and get all the treasure and find the different endings. Other Wario land games had this or something similar, but Wario land 2’s levels felt more like they were designed to be played again and still be fun, mostly because there are hundreds of hidden coins in every level.
This is why Wario Land 2 has been the best Virtual console experience I had in the 3ds days. Compared to other Mario/Wario land games (besides sml2) they felt like they were missing the amount of fun that makes Wario land 2 playable. There were also plenty of chapters that gave me a good laugh, and I was able to 100% the game thrice without feeling any grudges of having to do everything from the start. Each experience was super enjoyable and memorable.

PdizzleParker
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: doin your mom
Pronouns: they/them

Postby PdizzleParker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Haunter is better than Gengar and Machoke is better than Machamp.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:14 pm

thegameseum wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 pm
Haunter is better than Gengar and Machoke is better than Machamp.
Well, the only difference would be the stat scalings and that's all. Since you can learn any move with either you don't evolve or not. I have actually used Machoke in one of my Emerald runs and beat E4. (I evolved them post-E4, since I wanted to so bad)

Return to “Video Games”