Super Mario Bros. X - Grand Extravaganza! (AWARDS!)

Official community level contests.
Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Re: Super Mario Bros. X - Grand Extravaganza! (AWARDS!)

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Cedur wrote:were the levels really that meh or is the standard just miles higher than it was two years ago? Well I can find out myself once the episode is out.
I made no reference to the actual quality of the levels themselves. I shouldn't, as I haven't played the levels myself.

Improvement exists regardless of quality. Even the ideal (or best) designer makes a few mistakes, and they'll need to take time to reflect and improve as well. I also suggest you take the time to reflect and improve upon your posting habits, since there's exceedingly strong evidence pointing towards a contest episode not coming out, and the levels are already avaliable for you to play anyway.
Cedur wrote:If people want to enter such a contest, isn't it simply just sometimes about ... purely participating? Creating a level to have fun with designing? Olympic motto?
This is what I was referring to when I said you should consider your value of the smbx contests. If a contest is purely about participation and not about competing, then it's not a competition anymore, it's a showcase. A contest is more than a mere showcase of levels, it's a way for designers to do their best in order to achieve a goal higher than what they could normally achieve. Whether that's getting the best score/placement, winning a category, getting the best feedback from the community, or having an enjoyable Let's Play from their favorite youtuber, there are all sorts of goals a designer could have. Participation is merely about submitting something and not caring about it after the fact.

There are plenty of other ways to create/show off your levels if you just want to do that, in fact I'd recommend it since there are much better ways to get feedback for your level designing ability than submitting entries in a contest. If the only time you worked on mathematics was when an exam came up, you'd have much fewer opportunities to have fun with mathematics than if you studied on a regular basis. Same principle applies here.

timocomsmbx2345
Nipper
Nipper

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Well, i already know my level was going to do horrible anyway.

ander here's the shout outs
Pixelpest, all of those graphics in the level were made by SMBXzocker, so you're kind of insulting him.
Sanct, thank you for that comment.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:37 pm

timocomsmbx2345 wrote:Well, i already know my level was going to do horrible anyway.

And Pixelpest, all of those graphics in the level were made by SMBXzocker, so you're kind of insulting him.
Not necessarily insulting but okay.

Either way it was your choice to use them and you used them wrong. They could have been used correctly

timocomsmbx2345
Nipper
Nipper

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 pm

PixelPest wrote:
timocomsmbx2345 wrote:Well, i already know my level was going to do horrible anyway.

And Pixelpest, all of those graphics in the level were made by SMBXzocker, so you're kind of insulting him.

Either way it was your choice to use them and you used them wrong. They could have been used correctly
That level was my first time using pge, as well as my first submission for a contest.
At least Sanct found it funny.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:41 pm

timocomsmbx2345 wrote:That level was my first time using pge, as well as my first submission for a contest.
Even if that was the case, you should not be sticking your name in the level. One of the rules states the judges shouldn't know what level you made, and if it were enforced (which it wasn't) you would have been disqualified.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Also neither of the things you said timocomsmbx2345 justify the quality of your level btw

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Electriking wrote:So now that you guys have tried out Nintendo Switch Plains I want to see your thoughts on it.
It's the same as any other joke level except less funny

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:49 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
timocomsmbx2345 wrote:That level was my first time using pge, as well as my first submission for a contest.
Even if that was the case, you should not be sticking your name in the level. One of the rules states the judges shouldn't know what level you made, and if it were enforced (which it wasn't) you would have been disqualified.
Nowhere in the original thread does it say that the consequence would've been disqualification. It just says:
Judges mustn't know which level is yours. Do not submit a level you have publicly showcased or released in the past.
The rule was enforced and people submitted anonymously. However it was still possible to figure out who made which level. There are no consequences though, nor were any ever planned.
PixelPest wrote:

Boy you seem to be drawn towards the idea of "right vs wrong" maybe open up a bit to the idea of creativity.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm

JupiHornet wrote:
Electriking wrote:So now that you guys have tried out Nintendo Switch Plains I want to see your thoughts on it.
I was talking about everyone not the judges

litchh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby litchh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm

I can only repeat JupiHornet at this point.
P.S.
Welp, not any at all.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:05 pm

If you talk about everyone that does include the judges. Even if they already played it they still should have the ability to tell us their opinion about it.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Enjl wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

Boy you seem to be drawn towards the idea of "right vs wrong" maybe open up a bit to the idea of creativity.
(Enjl out of context again).

The issue isn't creativity, it's execution. I never insulted the actual creativity of the level but critiqued directly its poor design and graphical choices. Why do you always target me Enjl when your comments on me are often completely misguided?

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:25 am

I mean if the graphics were arguably a bad choice because they are of poor quality and brought down the overall quality of the level, then the judge has complete right to talk about how awful the graphics are and such. If the graphics are great but they fit horribly in the level or they're used incorrectly (resulting in unsuccessful compositions), bringing down the quality, then the judge should say something along the lines of "missed potential," when it comes to aesthetics.

Now all I see here is "I hate the other person and I want to try as stupidly hard as possible to prove them wrong," to the point that I don't even know if this was the actual argument going on, so sorry if it's not relevant.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:31 am

Electriking wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
I was talking about everyone not the judges
"Everyone" includes the judges, doesn't it?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 am

TLtimelord wrote:I mean if the graphics were arguably a bad choice because they are of poor quality and brought down the overall quality of the level, then the judge has complete right to talk about how awful the graphics are and such. If the graphics are great but they fit horribly in the level or they're used incorrectly (resulting in unsuccessful compositions), bringing down the quality, then the judge should say something along the lines of "missed potential," when it comes to aesthetics.

Now all I see here is "I hate the other person and I want to try as stupidly hard as possible to prove them wrong," to the point that I don't even know if this was the actual argument going on, so sorry if it's not relevant.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18023&start=860#p282191
PixelPest wrote:The issue isn't creativity, it's execution. I never insulted the actual creativity of the level but critiqued directly its poor design and graphical choices.
Your definition of what's good coin placement, acceptable combination of enemies and general outlook on design is pretty questionable though imho.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am

Why do you always go back to my comments on coin placement? They mean so little. Have you ever maybe tried asking, "Hey PixelPest, I see that in a lot of your reviews you critique coin placement. What are you basing it on and how much of your scores is influenced by this?" No. You just randomly target everything I say. Well here's my explanation, though I doubt you'll even listen to it:
  • I grew up with NSMBDS and AND so they're really the only things I knew. My perception of proper coin placement is often based off of those games.
  • Although I mention it often, coin placement ends up influencing the scores I give very little, although it is still there.
And then attributing your opinions of my setbacks to the failure of this contest is just plain ridiculous. I'm 16. I judged this contest for fun to the best of my ability with all of the knowledge I have about design. Sure it's not perfect, but it's definitely not as bad as you over and over try to make it out to be. I tried my best and all you do is try to find some random way to put down every single thing I post

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 am

I hate to say this, but I'm going to have to point out some of the flaws in your argument.
PixelPest wrote:
  • I grew up with NSMBDS and AND so they're really the only things I knew. My perception of proper coin placement is often based off of those games.
Just basing it off the NSMB games is not representative. Have you played other Mario platformers outside of this? Maybe get more experience with others before you make sweeping statements like this. I grew up with Super Mario World, but I don't base anything about level design on that game. Also, what's AND?
PixelPest wrote:I'm 16. I judged this contest for fun to the best of my ability with all of the knowledge I have about design.
Being 16 does not justify anything. I judged an official contest when I was 15 in fact (the SMBX Revived contest), and I didn't get any flak for the reviews.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm

This thread sure turned fast into a disaster

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Mable wrote:This thread sure turned fast into a disaster
Well of course it was a disaster. The whole contest was a disaster. The fact that we had one of the judges ragequit by leaking their reviews didn't help, because it ruined the excitement of what the levels would be called or where they would generally place.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm

"AND" is somehow auto-corrected "SMW"

Return to “Level Contests”