Site Discussion Thread

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the website for Super Mario Bros. X. Suggestions and bug reports are welcome!

Forum themes OP: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17782&start=1360#p319558

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: SMBX Site Discussion Thread

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:50 pm

We might as well kick off this topic with a repost of an issue that I brought up last week and was (again) buried under the other replies, so I'm bringing it up for the third time. It's about the no requests rule.

One and a half years ago, the Requests subforum was archived, and graphic requests were no longer allowed. Various reasons were given, such as crazy graphics being requested and the fact that if you can't make a level with the graphics that exist, then it's a problem with your level design skills. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped people from making requests, and the announcement was archived for some reason, and the fact that it was archived means that any new user won't even be aware that graphic requests aren't allowed, and they'll feel really silly just because they didn't even know to look in the archives for the rule, especially when there's been a lot of people joining after the announcement got archived, even more apparent if it's a veteran joining after a long hiatus. Just because the requests forum is gone it doesn't mean that there'll be less requests, and usually announcements get archived if they're not relevant anymore, and the no graphics rule is still relevant, so why was the announcement even archived?

Can something be done about this, like making a sticky outlining graphic submission regulations, one of them including no requests? One and a half years still going and we're still getting graphic requests, even from older veterans who decided to make a comeback to SMBX from which the older forums allowed them, just because the rule isn't even apparent.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:44 pm

I agree that there should be a place that clearly states that requests aren't allowed to reduce potential confusion. I'll forward the issue to the staff and hopefully they can add a Graphics Forum Rules topic that can clear this up (along with providing a general rules thread for the Graphics forum which is also good).

Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Kevsoft » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Could we cleanup the pinned threads at the General-Forum? Nearly half of the first page are pinned threads.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Kevsoft wrote:Could we cleanup the pinned threads at the General-Forum? Nearly half of the first page are pinned threads.
Good idea! Here's some things that could be done with the pins:

-Chat rules could be moved into a discord channel or a pastebin. Many other discord servers keep their rules in a pastebin and having a sticky topic about this in the forum about the GAME when the topic is about the SITE/COMMUNITY makes little sense.
-Any size custom blocks topic is obsolete because PGE does it automatically.
-PGE thread could be moved into the LunaLua subforum (which could be renamed to SMBX 2.0) because...
--it's the main editor for SMBX 2.0 and the development of the two is kinda interwoven
--LunaLua is gonna be merged into being updated alongside 2.0 (regarding subforum rename side-suggestion)
-Progress bar thread looks like it would fit better inside the Projects forum.
-This thread could technically be global since it's about the entire site.

What do you think?

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Why was the SMBX.org forum archived?

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Why?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Enjl wrote:Chat rules
I've moved the chat rules to here:

https://www.smbxgame.com/chat.php?page=rules

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: Why was the SMBX.org forum archived?

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 pm

King of Eterity wrote:Why?
There was no need for it when the Site Discussion Thread already encompasses it.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Re: Why was the SMBX.org forum archived?

Postby krakin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:55 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:Why?
There was no need for it when the Site Discussion Thread already encompasses it.
It looks like the Site Discussion Thread was created today? I don't know why, but the first post is Feb. 4, I remember there being a thread of the same name that had much more posts on it and was older than this.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:24 pm

The reason why the SuperMarioBrosX.org forum was archived is because the vast majority of the discussion there is fit for either the Site Discussion Thread (also archived but I remade it here, but I'll probably merge them together) or a separate topic somewhere else (like the Discord quotes thread). Exceptions to that trend can be handled on a case by case basis. Also, I wanted to consolidate it to promote discussion on only things that are worth discussing (such as suggestions for the pages of the site, new features, themes, etc.).

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 am

I belive the "How did you find SMBX" category in your profile should be less strict by allowing you to type in how you found SMBX by yourself. There's some people who found SMBX in a way that's not listed, so it would be a good idea to give them the ability to type it in by themselves. Also, the fact that you must fill that in is kinda unfair, considering some people could forget how they found SMBX, me included.

Also, this:

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:45 am

Yeah, maybe add the good old "other".

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I think it would be a good idea to put the LunaLUA forum on the front page instead of having it be a subforum, like how you did with the Mafia forum. LunaLUA is a pretty big part of SMBX nowadays, so I don't see why it should be a subforum when it should really have it's own forum.

Edit: Also, what about roleplays? I haven't heard anything of it ever since the FF/RP forum got archived, so what happened to it? Did roleplays get banned, or do people simply not care?

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Also, what about roleplays? I haven't heard anything of it ever since the FF/RP forum got archived, so what happened to it? Did roleplays get banned, or do people simply not care?
The one we had got pretty inactive and I'm not sure if there's any demand at the moment.

Lemlime25
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: :)

Battle level forum?

Postby Lemlime25 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:57 pm

I had always thought there was a battle level forum, but nope! I just finished making a battle level called Nicey Icey (yeah I know it sounds weird, but I didn't know what else to call it) and I wanted to post it here... But there's no battle forum! I guess I could just post it in the REGULAR section... but... Y'KNOW!

So yeah, I think that there should be a separate section for battle levels. If someone with the power to create forums is by any chance reading... then... please make one :)

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Battle level forum?

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 am

There used to be a battle levels forum, but then the levels forum got redesigned. You just post them like regular levels now, and I don't think the battle level forum is coming back.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am

It sounds like a good idea in hindsight, but the truth is that battle levels are incredibly rare because not many people play the battle mode. If that's the case, then there's no need to have a separate forum; it's a waste of space.

Artturer
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Artturer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 pm

There is a forum for this but it has stopped in the archives for some reason.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Artturer wrote:There is a forum for this but it has stopped in the archives for some reason.
Likely because most of the stuff that goes in the archives forum is stuff that was popular or very good at it's time, like how the description for Archives includes that some topics there were the best ones ever made. Since this "battle level" forum was put in the archives, it must have been really popular, but now has almost no relevancy right now. Either that or, more space was needed for the main forums.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 am

Also, 2.0 does not 100% battle mode yet. You need to do a shoe horn to get it to work and that is because of no title screen so to speak and no battle folder. In beta three, you have to make a battle folder, and put the original battle levels into it. Then start any episode. Then exit to the menu, then go to battle mode... Quite a lot of work actually.

Return to “Archives”