Add a Custom Progress Bar to your Level/Project Thread

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Add a Custom Progress Bar to your Level/Project Thread

Postby Fuyu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Hello, everybody! I made this thread to announce that you can now add a custom progress bar made by me on your level/project threads. Its use is obviously optional, and most importantly easy, as with changing the number on the image URL the appropriate progress bar will be shown on your post. Keep in mind that this system depends entirely on TinyURL, and some people not only might be unable to see it but unable to use it be their way of using their site changing to a limited amount of time only. Until this time comes, however, you're free to use this progress bar I made.

How to set the progress bar:
In order to set the progress bar you must use the following URL in between image tags:

Code: Select all

https://tinyurl.com/starProgressN
N stands for the numeralical representation that is the progress you want to show. If N were to be 83, and you replace the N in the URL with 83, sure enough, there you see the proper progress bar you need.

IMPORTANT: If a better way of implementing this progress bar happened to arrive please switch to that method instead of this one due to how insecure in fact is.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Re: Add a Custom Progress Bar to your Level/Project Thread

Postby Danny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:36 pm

This is pretty cool, thanks for taking the time to do it!

If the admins are willing, I believe there is a progress bar of sorts that can be implemented into php, I recall one being added to a forums in the past, though I'm not sure if you can get it working with the current board software.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

There was in indeed this progress bar extension that was removed. I've noticed people still want to make progress bars, although some just state the progress in general. This is why I decided to make this messy but useful mini-system if it can really be called that. =P

Thanks for appreciating my work, it took a hell of a lot of time to set this up after all. :v

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:18 am

I think it could be nice it there was more customizable options, like being able to change the graphics or add text and/or multiple progress bars to it (So you could have a progress bar for each world as an example) but this is pretty neat!

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am

Snessy the duck wrote:I think it could be nice it there was more customizable options, like being able to change the graphics or add text and/or multiple progress bars to it (So you could have a progress bar for each world as an example) but this is pretty neat!
That far exceeds what I could do in a such a short time. In order for this to be so easy to implement, I had to upload 101 different images and give each of them a TinyURL "shortage". If I had to take into account customization I would have to upload even more images and shorten even more URLs, and I don't have the patience nor the will to do such a thing.

Unless somebody else wants to do something similar or implement a better system this is all there is for now.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 am

Intuition wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I think it could be nice it there was more customizable options, like being able to change the graphics or add text and/or multiple progress bars to it (So you could have a progress bar for each world as an example) but this is pretty neat!
That far exceeds what I could do in a such a short time. In order for this to be so easy to implement, I had to upload 101 different images and give each of them a TinyURL "shortage". If I had to take into account customization I would have to upload even more images and shorten even more URLs, and I don't have the patience nor the will to do such a thing.

Unless somebody else wants to do something similar or implement a better system this is all there is for now.
That's understandable. I hope there's gonna be a better system sometime later.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: they/them

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
Intuition wrote:

That's understandable. I hope there's gonna be a better system sometime later.
If you want a progress bar for each world, you could always do something like this (I just made up the world names):

World 1 (Koopa Kingdom):
World 2 (Chill Hill):
World 3 (Volcanic Valley):

EDIT:
Wouldn't this be better in the Projects thread?

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 pm

The Dwarven Digger wrote:EDIT:
Not really, because you could use it anywhere else. If I ever happened to make a level collection thread and release packs every so often I would use this so people keep track of my progress. The same applies to GFX Packs. It's up to the user how to use these. It is not limited to Projects.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Intuition wrote:
Not really, because you could use it anywhere else. If I ever happened to make a level collection thread and release packs every so often I would use this so people keep track of my progress. The same applies to GFX Packs. It's up to the user how to use these. It is not limited to Projects.
I see now. I didn't really think about graphics packs, but that would be another use for this.
Also, could you use this for contests? Like time remaining or how many people have submitted levels?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:57 pm

The Dwarven Digger wrote:
Intuition wrote:
I see now. I didn't really think about graphics packs, but that would be another use for this.
Also, could you use this for contests? Like time remaining or how many people have submitted levels?
Yes you could. My only complaint is that if something is 78.9982% complete, there is no way to show it.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:08 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Yes you could. My only complaint is that if something is 78.9982% complete, there is no way to show it.
As if I'd make 1000000+ images to show 78.9982% lmao
I'm patient, but I ain't that patient.

Besides you can just round it either up or down, and trust me, no one is interested in knowing that much about your progress.

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Intuition wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Yes you could. My only complaint is that if something is 78.9982% complete, there is no way to show it.

Besides you can just round it either up or down, and trust me, no one is interested in knowing that much about your progress.
Really, just say this:
No-one will care about that 0.0018% inaccuracy. And anyway, how do you know that your project isn't actually 78.9983% complete?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 pm

The Dwarven Digger wrote:
Intuition wrote:

Really, just say this:
No-one will care about that 0.0018% inaccuracy. And anyway, how do you know that your project isn't actually 78.9983% complete?
It was an example. My old project I believe is ~2.7% complete. I have not looked at some time at it. (You Year Hiatus)

Gunslinger
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am

Honestly, I don't exactly agree on the graphic, but it's pretty neat.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 am

I'd like a variant which doesn't have the percent sign, but has things like "Completed" "Work in Progress" and "Not started", which could be used for specific parts of the Project like Worlds or Levels.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:I'd like a variant which doesn't have the percent sign, but has things like "Completed" "Work in Progress" and "Not started", which could be used for specific parts of the Project like Worlds or Levels.
Except images would not really make much difference than just plain text in this case. Percentage bars are a more visual representation of progress. There isn't really a way to visually represent Not started, WIP and complete in a better way than text really.

IAmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Pronouns: he/him

Postby IAmPlayer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 am

At least this could be rather helpful enough. I guess.

Dominik
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Dominik » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:14 pm

NaviGator wrote:Hello, everybody! I made this thread to announce that you can now add a custom progress bar made by me on your level/project threads. Its use is obviously optional, and most importantly easy, as with changing the number on the image URL the appropriate progress bar will be shown on your post. Keep in mind that this system depends entirely on TinyURL, and some people not only might be unable to see it but unable to use it be their way of using their site changing to a limited amount of time only. Until this time comes, however, you're free to use this progress bar I made.

How to set the progress bar:
In order to set the progress bar you must use the following URL in between image tags:

Code: Select all

https://tinyurl.com/starProgressN
N stands for the numeralical representation that is the progress you want to show. If N were to be 83, and you replace the N in the URL with 83, sure enough, there you see the proper progress bar you need.

IMPORTANT: If a better way of implementing this progress bar happened to arrive please switch to that method instead of this one due to how insecure in fact is.
like this? Image

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes, like that. But I don't think people use it that much, all my effort might have been in vain.

ditditdit
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: e
Pronouns: she/they

Postby ditditdit » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:30 pm

Fuyu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 pm
Yes, like that. But I don't think people use it that much, all my effort might have been in vain.
I used it! it wasn't all in vain!

Return to “Projects”