lunalua camera angle

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
dynastylobster
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

lunalua camera angle

Postby dynastylobster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:56 pm

as you may know , lunalua is capable of changing the camera AI , and is also capable of scaling and rotation
so , could i (or anyone else) :

A. make the camera change size to 16 blocks wide by 15 blocks tall
or
B. crop the camera , then scale the "screen" to the proper size
or
C. scale every object individually
or
D.you figure it out

is this possible ?
the reason that i want the camera to be smaller is because i want to replicate the view size of the original 4 super mario bros. games

also , if this has been done already , could you please send the lua files to me ?

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Re: lunalua camera angle

Postby krakin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:07 pm

dynastylobster wrote:as you may know , lunalua is capable of changing the camera AI , and is also capable of scaling and rotation
so , could i (or anyone else) :

A. make the camera change size to 16 blocks wide by 15 blocks tall
or
B. crop the camera , then scale the "screen" to the proper size
or
C. scale every object individually
or
D.you figure it out

is this possible ?
the reason that i want the camera to be smaller is because i want to replicate the view size of the original 4 super mario bros. games

also , if this has been done already , could you please send the lua files to me ?
I'm positive this is already possible to do, and you can probably search for the files on the wiki page. It'd also depend on how experienced you are with LunaLua, and if you understand some codes. You could also PM a level designer and see what they'll say.

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm

When looking at cameras for SMBX, there's an important rule:

You can make the visible area smaller, but currently there is no easy way to make the visible area bigger. Cropping the play area is relatively straightforward, though it will need some tweaking if you want to get the scrolling right at the edges.

Fundamentally, making the screen area smaller involves two parts:
1. Using a Capture Buffer to grab the current screen and redraw the centre portion of it over the whole screen.
2. Tracking the relative position of player to the camera, so that when the camera hits the edge of the screen, the captured portion can continue scrolling for a short time so that you can still see the edge of the screen.

Making the visible area larger is a much larger task, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want, so fortunately, you're stuck with the easier one.

dynastylobster
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby dynastylobster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:15 am

Hoeloe wrote:When looking at cameras for SMBX, there's an important rule:

You can make the visible area smaller, but currently there is no easy way to make the visible area bigger. Cropping the play area is relatively straightforward, though it will need some tweaking if you want to get the scrolling right at the edges.

Fundamentally, making the screen area smaller involves two parts:
1. Using a Capture Buffer to grab the current screen and redraw the centre portion of it over the whole screen.
2. Tracking the relative position of player to the camera, so that when the camera hits the edge of the screen, the captured portion can continue scrolling for a short time so that you can still see the edge of the screen.

Making the visible area larger is a much larger task, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want, so fortunately, you're stuck with the easier one.
i have no experience with lua at all (it looks like assembly to me, or maybe c++, i know its not , but it looks that complex) , but i do get your point . is it possible to move the gui to the proper position ? , i honesty don't need the camera any bigger , that is why I want it to be smaller , its just too big :)
but since i have no knowledge of lua, i just assumed other people would understand better , and make the script for me (if they were nice enough)

Return to “LunaLua”